Michael Redd........a Celtic

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Michael Redd........a Celtic

Good post damfuno.  You make some very valid points IF (a big if) Redd was "remotely" healthy.  I would not make that move though.  No way!  Whatever role he plays, he will never again be an effective player.  For one, he cannot play defense.  And I honestly believe his knees are DONE.  They are worse than JON.

I'm not sure he is even good for standing on the perimeter knocking down 4 jumpers a game simply because of the stress associated with playing ANY kind of defense.  I just can't see him running the court spotting up for jumpers on a consistent basis.

With our offense, we don't run enough to free him up for those open transition jump shots.  We play too much half court offense and I just don't see him being able to consistently run off screens to free himself for open shots in the half court.  THAT will break down his knees even more.

And, again, he'd be a major defensive liability.

I hope the Celtics don't go after him.  Even for the vet minimum, he's not worth it.  We wouldn't get 50 games from him -- which again puts more pressure on Ray to play more minutes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Oh boy are we going to go down the road of picking up an oft-ijured player AGAIN. The Celtics just cannot afford to go through the injuries like they did the last 2-3 seasons. We need to sign guys that are healthy. If they get hurt in the process of playing that's one thing but let's not reach for injury prone guys anymore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

BiasLewis, I totally agree.  We run players in the ground because they are forced to play extended minutes due to injuries of other players.  We've had to do that for the past few seasons.

I'd rather put a decent guy out there who can give me 80 games and play consistent than a guy with a specific skillset but cannot stay on the court to showcase that skillset.

I honestly believe if Delonte re-signs AND gets back to playing around 70 or so games (arbitrary number), we will be fine at the backup PG and SG positions.

I'd rather we bring back Von Wafer for the minimum than Redd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Pass - I'm with Petey.   Bring back Wafer - or trade for Pietrus - or get Jamal Crawford.
    While we're at it, sign up DWest, Wafer, Green, Murphy and Kwame Brown.  Get Aaron Gray and Jamal Crawford and I could live with that team for a year!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I'm not ready to go down the Wafer road again myself. He just doesn'tgive us enough pop off the bench. I like the Jamal Crawford idea because one thing he will do is shoot. His problem is when he's not hitting he's no good to you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I would not categorize a pick up of Redd in the same category as a pick up of Crawford.  I equate picking up Redd to keeping Wafer.  Of course, if we have a chance to get Crawford, we definitely go for that.

Redd is not a #2 SG for the Celtics or anyone for that matter.  Wafer isn't either so, as a #3 SG, I just think we'd be better off with Wafer.  He can hit the outside shot, get to the rim (although he may miss the dunk) and he brings a level of athleticism that not many players on the team bring.

Wafer did not do badly under the circumstances.  Had we not experienced all of the injuries at the guard position (Quis, Delonte), we would not have had to rely so much on Wafer performing at such a high level.  He's a #3 SG, at best, but we needed production from him on too many occasions and that's not what he does.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Petey62, Ok I get you now. If we're talking about who the #3 SG would be it really doesn't matter at that point. LOL! It becomes about money when talking about the 3rd SG.

I thought you were talking about the backup SG. You don't think Redd can still be a backup SG? Has his game dropped off that much to where he would be a #3 SG??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Redd's stats this year say it all.  He is not the same player and the player he is now is not that good.  He will not help the Celtics in any meaningful way.  His upside is similar to JO's.  How much did that help?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Let's not forget we have E'Twan Moore also.  He has to have a spot and hopefully some role on this team.  With Ray, Crawford, Wafer, Redd...et al he might be squeezed out!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: Michael Redd........a Celtic:
    Petey62, Ok I get you now. If we're talking about who the #3 SG would be it really doesn't matter at that point. LOL! It becomes about money when talking about the 3rd SG. I thought you were talking about the backup SG. You don't think Redd can still be a backup SG? Has his game dropped off that much to where he would be a #3 SG??
    Posted by BiasLewis

I just can't see us signing Redd as our backup to Ray.  That would be a waste because of the high probability that Redd would not be able to contribute for the full season.  First, we'd get a report about tightness or soreness in the knee.  Then we'd get a report that he'll be out a week or two.  And we'd be back in the same spot as last year -- relying on someone like Wafer or the rook for big minutes because our "planned" backup cannot play.

If we signed Crawford, THEN I'd consider signing Redd.  The last thing next seasons Celtics need are injuries to players IN THE ROTATION.  It is going to be more important than at any other time to give minutes to EVERYBODY.  E'twan, Delonte, Bradley, JuJuan, Murphy (if he's back), Wafer (if he's back) -- EVERYBODY'S got to get minutes.

We have had some awesome "1st 3 months of the seaon" only to struggle to the finish line (season's end).  I'd much rather lose some games in November/December playing EVERYBODY if it means we won't lose the games in March/April because we're too tired.

Doc has got to tolerate losing some games if not to extend guy's minutes.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

damfuno, from what I've heard, the reduced schedule will take an even worse toll on guys.  There will be more back-to-backs, more 3 games in 4 nights and the like.  The reduced schedule is going to make for less "recovery" time.  Fewer games also means fewer days to get those games in so I don't think the 50 games will positively matter that much to a guy like Redd.  I think the overall "days off per game" is reduced from something like 2.07 to the mid 1.xx, which is significant.

Playing a 50 game schedule will be best for someone like Ray and Paul who aren't ailing.  They simply won't be drained at season's end as opposed to "knee less hurt" as with others.  But guys who are hurting anyway like KG (knee), JON (knee) and someone like Redd (knee) might be worse off with the condensed schedule and increased number of games.

I think the Celtics have taken too many risks lately and it's completely affected the fabric and chemistry of the team.  It's time to do everything possible to mitigate that risk and the best way is to "pass" on guys with a history of injuries like Redd.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

damfuno, from what I've heard, the reduced schedule will take an even worse toll on guys.  There will be more back-to-backs, more 3 games in 4 nights and the like.  The reduced schedule is going to make for less "recovery" time.  Fewer games also means fewer days to get those games in so I don't think the 50 games will positively matter that much to a guy like Redd.  I think the overall "days off per game" is reduced from something like 2.07 to the mid 1.xx, which is significant. Playing a 50 game schedule will be best for someone like Ray and Paul who aren't ailing.  They simply won't be drained at season's end as opposed to "knee less hurt" as with others.  But guys who are hurting anyway like KG (knee), JON (knee) and someone like Redd (knee) might be worse off with the condensed schedule and increased number of games. I think the Celtics have taken too many risks lately and it's completely affected the fabric and chemistry of the team.  It's time to do everything possible to mitigate that risk and the best way is to "pass" on guys with a history of injuries like Redd.
    Posted by Petey62

I agree Petey. Ainge sees that he has a chance to rebuild the team with so much money coming off the books during the next few years that this may be his best chance to get a core together. No waiting on the Oden's or Duncan's or mega-trades for KGs. He's really going to have to use some creativity to get this team right

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I'm with Petey.  We have taken a lot of risk on "not so healthy" players and hoped they would work out. They rarely have (Shaq, JON, Murphy, etc).   We should not be taking that risk, again.....not even for a #3 shooting guard.  Time to give those minutes to one of the younger players and let them develop.  They may or may not work out, but I like that risk better than taking the risk on a guy who's PROVEN that he's going to struggle with health.  This is Yao Ming and Tracey McGrady waiting to happen.   Let's just not even try it!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Crawford is way out of the C's price range this season. He's a 20 pt. a game scorer. He's going to get a big contract from some team. I wish the C's did have the money to offer Crawford an attractive contract. He's a terrific scorer.
       Redd is an interesting thought. He would be a huge gamble at the mid-level exception. One I wouldn't take. If he's available for a 1 year deal at the vet minimum, I would consider taking a chance on him. When healthy, he's a huge scorer and a great perimeter shooter. Defensively he may be a liability.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

I like Michael Redd. But the problem is I am convinced even when he was 100% on top of his game, Docmost likely did not. Redd just is not a defender, and it is useless bringing in guys who can shoot but not defend because Doc is just not going to give them any steady role. But we do need shooting off the bench.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Oh boy are we going to go down the road of picking up an oft-ijured player AGAIN. The Celtics just cannot afford to go through the injuries like they did the last 2-3 seasons. We need to sign guys that are healthy. If they get hurt in the process of playing that's one thing but let's not reach for injury prone guys anymore.
    Posted by BiasLewis
    enough of the boston of liberty approach.. send us ur weak, your old, your oft-injured.. ENOUGH!

Sections
Shortcuts