Mike Brown the New Lakers Coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

Re: Mike Brown the New Lakers Coach

In Response to Re: Mike Brown the New Lakers Coach:
    In Dr. Buss they trust. Or at least they should. Look at Dr. Buss track record, he has made the Lakers one of the best franchises in the NBA if not the best. Never question a hall of fame owner decisions. Who made Pat Riley what he is????????? Mike Brown only had Lebron and a bunch of scrubs and always had a great record. Let's see what he can do with more talent. Just saying...
    Posted by RicoCeltic

Rico, for a Celtic fan, you're pretty astute. Unlike Sybil, who started this thread the way he starts all his childish threads...but I've come to expect as much from him.

As you pointed out, Dr. Buss, still runs the team and he's been the stabilizing force behind the Lakers management decisions (along with GM's Jerry West & Mitch Kupchak). The C's, unfortunately for you, can't keep the same management team in place for more than a few years. You have my sympathy. On top of that, you have Danny Ainge as your GM and you well know, his track record on "draft picks" isn't the best.

You made a good point...Mike Brown had LeBron...and nothing else! What can he do with a team that has a solid core and quality reserves? Personally, I wanted to see Rick Adelman get the job. Nobody had done more with less than Adelman. In Sacramento and in Houston, his team's weren't nearly as talented as the Lakers, but they always gave the Lakers fits. But that's "water under the bridge". Moving forward, I think this is a pretty good hire for the Lakers.

Brown will bring that defensive intensity that the Lakers need. They have plenty of scorers and rebounders and I'm pretty certain he'll design the offense to his players strengths.

Many of your fellow C's fans are having a good laugh at this hire. Let's not forget, Mike Brown is still pretty new to the head coaching ranks and he's already been to the finals and coached a team to the best record (and was selected as Coach of the Year). Not to shabby with a team with only ONE quality player. Your buds (like Sybil) can enjoy their laugh now, but the Lakers core is still better than the C's...and that's WITHOUT making a move to acquire Dwight Howard. If THAT happens, it won't be long before the Lakers pass the C's in total championships.

The Lakers will remain in title contention...the C's...well, like I said, you have my sympathy.

That offer is still open. You can join our side!! We'll welcome you with open arms!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

Hasn't happened yet. But it's dissapointing that Brian Shaw isn't being offered the job.
    Posted by RUWorthy

As much as I like Brian Shaw, I'm not comfortable with the Lakers putting him in charge with NO real coaching experience. Hopefully, he'll remain in the Lakers future...unless of course Mike Brown does a "Pat Riley" and transforms the Lakers into their newest "dynasty". As Rico would say...I'm just saying...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

Haha...great news! And Jerry West ain't walking through that FO door anytime soon either. Looks like Banner#18 is totally safe!
    Posted by wfdog

Sybil!...is that you?!

It sure sounds like you!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Brown the New Lakers Coach : Agree this is good news for us. Lakers begin their decent into mediocrity. Sweet.
    Posted by cshashaty

Riiiiight!

February 24th, 2011. A day that will live in infamy (for Celtics nation).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Brown the New Lakers Coach : As much as I like Brian Shaw, I'm not comfortable with the Lakers putting him in charge with NO real coaching experience. Hopefully, he'll remain in the Lakers future...unless of course Mike Brown does a "Pat Riley" and transforms the Lakers into their newest "dynasty". As Rico would say...I'm just saying...
    Posted by Qdaddy

You're delusional! 

Check this link to see what the Lakers got.

First, there's the issue of Kobe Bryant, with three years and more than $80 million on his deal, who's still a superstar and a champion, but robbed of his surreal athleticism by Father Time. One problem with Bryant is that he doesn't appear to know it. Another is that he's even less interested in hearing it. And if that wasn't bad enough for Brown to have to deal with, he'll also have to absorb the aloofness of a star who openly endorsed assistant Brian Shaw, obviously didn't get his wish and reportedly wasn't even granted the courtesy of being consulted by the Lakers.

Then there's the Pau Gasol/Andrew Bynum issue. From the looks of things, one of the two probably will have to go. That much was exposed during the Mavs series in the conference semifinals when the Lakers' height and size advantage meant absolutely nothing because of their inability to deal with Dallas' speed and perimeter shooter. Both of these two have value, and the Lakers need an infusion of athleticism.

Then there's the issue of Ron Artest, their enigmatic forward who came into the season ill-prepared after finally capturing his coveted championship ring. He's older, slower, porous offensively and about two steps behind defensively. If Jackson couldn't do much with him, it's hard to imagine what Brown is going to be able to come up with.

Of course, there's also the issue of Lamar Odom's focus and aggression. There's also Derek Fisher's age, and what Brown will be able to come up with in the event GM Mitch Kupchak can't find another serviceable point guard. Somehow, we must discover what's exactly the problem with Shannon Brown, since he's clearly the team's second-best athlete -- and there's also a bench that needs to be completely obliterated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

real question is, can the lakers go from the complicated triangle offense to the simple pick n roll offense?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

Hiring a retread who failed with a supposed talent laden team is just what a franchise on the decline like the Lakers should do.   The ship is sinking anyway so save some cash on the head coach.
    Posted by concord27

My, how quickly we forget. I remember reading articles by the Globe's own writers (Bill Simmons in particular), and the many fans who were calling for Doc's head...before he was "gifted" KG by Kevin McHale. Now, all of you act like he's the second coming of Red Auerbach. Please.

Mike Brown has a pretty good resume...certainly better than Rudy Tomjanovich or Del Harris. Although he's not who I think the Lakers should've hired, he's a pretty good hire. He's coming to a team that has a lot of good veteran players that are "championship" tested. They have some youth in Caracter and Eubanks and who ever they get this year.They'll be right back battling for the west title and of course, the finals. The C's are on their last legs. The Heat and Bull have already passed them and the Knicks aren't to far behind. You guys are seriously delusional if you think that OLD team will be competing for the eastern conference again. I'm sure DA will be out their trading for some "over the hill" players that he'll overpay for...that's his M.O.!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

real question is, can the lakers go from the complicated triangle offense to the simple pick n roll offense?
    Posted by PierceIsTheTruth

It's simpler than that. The Lakers will be running the "give it to Kobe then get out of his way" offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

They picked Mike Brown because they know Kobe will have no problem steamrolling him.  Lebron has already broken him in. Look for the Lakers to continue their historic decline this coming year.
    Posted by concord27

Concord, I think you've mistaken the Lakers for the Celtics. DA's trades/moves/signings have pretty much assured the Celtics another 2+ decades of "irrelevancy"...similar to the pre-KG years

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

It is true! The Laker fans are better than the Laker players because the Laker fans don't quit! lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Brown the New Lakers Coach : The Lakers bought themselves someone to tide them over until they start going through the lottery cycle....... unfortunately the Cs are looking in the same mirror that the Lakers are looking in.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Dudder, these are the LAKERS...not the Clippers. I'm sure the C's have more in common with the Clippers than the Lakers...considering their 20+ years of irrelevancy.

I'm sorry, but ONE championship in 25 years doesn't get you in the same company as the Lakers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

The spectacular Mike Brown coming to the Lakers.  Well Laker fans you did it again.  I see multiple playoffs appearances for this great new coach.  I think a sixth or seventh seed looks just right the next few years .  Most likely the exits will be even earlier next year, but you got a real stud for a coach ask Lebron.
    Posted by concord27

Umm...LeBron had to team up with D-Wade and Chris Bosh in order to make himself RELEVANT. Mike Brown WASN'T on the court when LeBron was failing.

I think Mike Brown will be fine in LA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

The Lakers didn't just throw in the towel, they also threw in the jersey. lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

I'm sure you all just beamed at Doc Rivers track record in Orlando when Boston hired him.  Is Mike Brown an upper echelon coach?  No, at least not now, but neither were Westhead or Riley when they first stepped in.  Brown's "coach of the year" award was comical.  But, considering the choices available, it's not a bad choice for now.  As much as I like Adelman, the Lakers don't need a "players coach" that doesn't focus on defense.  Nor do they need a "my way or the highway" coach like Larry Brown or Jeff Van Gundy.  Who else?  I certainly like Mike Brown better that Dunleavy.  Better than Shaw?  I don't know, but the point is there was no clear choice at this time.  The last 20 titles belong to 6 coahces (Phil Jackson, Poppa-bich, Rudy T, Larry Brown, Pat Riley and Doc).  Only 2 of those 6 are still coaching, and they were not available.  After a couple more disappointments in Orlando, maybe Stan VG will follow Dwight to L.A.  In the meantime, Brown is as good a choice as any.
    Posted by ItsNot1966anymor

Well said 1966.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

I have to ask this question......I know (Los Angeles) Laker fans are proud of the 16 titles, 5 of which came in another time and in another city....and rightfully so....IT'S THE SAME FRANCHISE!!!  .....but this obsession with Phil being the all time winningest coach (championships) and comparing his titles to Red's and all....I mean....you guys do know that you are claiming  6 (of his 11) titles he won not only in another city....but for ANOTHER FRANCHISE...? What gives...............?
    Posted by Duke4

Duke, the titles are his regardless of the city he won them in. The fact that he won the last 5 in LA is still a source of pride, just like many Chicago fans still hold him in high regard for their 6 titles. So in essence, two cities will hold him in high regard because of his total number of championships. That's not taking anything away from Red Auerbach, but you can't dispute that Phil has the most NBA titles than ANYONE.

We're not claiming any of his Chicago titles...we're just acknowledging that his 11 NBA championships make him the greatest coach in NBA history. So he did it in two cities...I'm good with that! He helped LA close to within ONE title of the Celtics. If you guys don't understand that, I really don't know how to explain it. DA was willing to hire Shaq to help bring another title to Boston, but it didn't work out. If it had, you guys would be anointing Shaq as one of the greatest Celtics ever.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

I've heard of thumbs down and thumbs up, but thumbs in the middle?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

Priceless!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

This could be the cleanest blocked shot in the history of the NBA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Brown the New Lakers Coach : Dang. Warriors may have been a better job for him. Following on from Jackson will be a huge burden for him. Not to mention inheriting an aging team. And one that may well have had it's last real run at a championship. In it's current form that is. I'd have been more inclined to hire Shaw and run the same systems, but tweak it a little and run with it for one more season. Although part of me doesn't think that this would matter as we're still not in the upper echelon of Western Conference teams at the moment. But man, I would have said the same thing about Dallas one month ago. So who knows?
    Posted by RUWorthy

All this from a person who think Kareem won 3 championships. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

In Dr. Buss they trust. Or at least they should. Look at Dr. Buss track record, he has made the Lakers one of the best franchises in the NBA if not the best. Never question a hall of fame owner decisions. Who made Pat Riley what he is????????? Mike Brown only had Lebron and a bunch of scrubs and always had a great record. Let's see what he can do with more talent. Just saying...
    Posted by RicoCeltic

You seem to be having a progressively harder time staying in character. Focus!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

The Mike Brown pick is simple. The Lakers are clearly a sinking ship. Their best player is on the decline and I doubt he is willing to admit it.

The Lakers are not able to attract top flight coaches. But I didn't think they were going to have to settle for a turd like Mike Brown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Enjoy winning no championships LA.

No LA trolls for a couple years? BET

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Lakers chose Mike Brown to be the goat as the team falls to pieces. They werent looking for the best coach, just someone thats good at absorbing blame.

Brown impresses me as a nice guy but think back to the Cavs teams... Brown was the waterboy while Lebron coached the team. In the final minute of the elimination game against the Cav's a year ago, Brown was screaming at his players to foul and they ignored him. He walked onto the court waving his arms, begging them to intentionally foul... he got no response.

Hes a nice guy but will be pushed around by Kobe and be the guy sitting at the mike explaining what went wrong.

To credit Brown with being a good offensive coach, I have to wonder why. His offense with the Cavs was let Lebron do what he wants.

At least Brown is making good money... I wouldnt mind his job at all..but as far as being in a good spot coaching wise, hes not.  Only reason Phil "I only coach championship caliber teams in their prime" Jackson left was cause he knows the Lakers are headed downhill fast... Good luck Mike Brown

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from icnd. Show icnd's posts

The Lakers are not able to attract top flight coaches.
    Posted by df2

You know this because.....

And what top flight coaches were you referring to?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icnd. Show icnd's posts

Enjoy winning no championships LA.
    Posted by Pancakespwn

With the Heat and Bulls on the Celtics side of the bracket, I can say the same thing about the Celtics.

Sections
Shortcuts