Monster Game!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Monster Game!

The line for Kevin Garnett was 28 points, 14 rebounds and 5 blocked shots. With Pierce and Ray clearly troubled by nagging injuries, Garnett, almost single handedly drove the Celtice to victory. There have been times when I've despaired over Garnett clanking 19 footers, but last night when noone had a hot shooting night and some even hesitated to shoot open shots, Garnett stepped up and showed the courage that has marked his long career. He was simply extraordinary!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Monster Game!

He really was.

I never thought I would say the Celtics should throw big money at him this off season, but now that he is playing the 5 and playing it so well?

There are only a handful of centers out there better than him. If he only wants a two year contract you have to money him up.  People are talking about paying Kaman a max deal?  KG is twice the player Kaman is. Even at this age.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

In Response to Re: Monster Game!:
    He really was. I never thought I would say the Celtics should throw big money at him this off season, but now that he is playing the 5 and playing it so well? There are only a handful of centers out there better than him. If he only wants a two year contract you have to money him up.  People are talking about paying Kaman a max deal?  KG is twice the player Kaman is. Even at this age.
    Posted by snakeoil123

A handful is a lot I can name 2 centers MAYBE better than KG now.
    BYNUM and HOWARD who else is there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

nobody is talking about giving Kaman a max contract

they are talking abut giving him 4 years 30 million or something like that

I made the comparison once before that KG and Robert Parish are of similar body types now that they are in their 30's (KG was more athletic in his 20's by far), but they are both a shade over 7' and Robert was listed at 230 his whole career.

Well the year Robert was 36 like KG is now he avg'd 15.7 points and 10.1 rebounds with a 19.2 PER

The next 2 years at 37/38 he stayed around 15 points, 10 rebounds and a 20 PER. Who knows, maybe KG can do the same thing?

[although KG passed 45,000 career minutes this year and Robert didn't pass that barrier until the '96 season with the Bulls when he was 42...hmm]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CA_Sox. Show CA_Sox's posts

It was a monster game by KG and he is clearly the heart and soul of this team...it would absolutely be devastating for them not to sign KG next near!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

nobody is talking about giving Kaman a max contract they are talking abut giving him 4 years 30 million or something like that I made the comparison once before that KG and Robert Parish are of similar body types now that they are in their 30's (KG was more athletic in his 20's by far), but they are both a shade over 7' and Robert was listed at 230 his whole career. Well the year Robert was 36 like KG is now he avg'd 15.7 points and 10.1 rebounds with a 19.2 PER The next 2 years at 37/38 he stayed around 15 points, 10 rebounds and a 20 PER. Who knows, maybe KG can do the same thing? [although KG passed 45,000 career minutes this year and Robert didn't pass that barrier until the '96 season with the Bulls when he was 42...hmm]
    Posted by rameakap

I have seen people on here talking about giving Kaman a max contract.  Not many but I have seen it.

I am just saying a few months ago I was all for letting KG walk.  Now its getting complicated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In Response to Monster Game!:
     The line for Kevin Garnett was 28 points, 14 rebounds and 5 blocked shots. With Pierce and Ray clearly troubled by nagging injuries, Garnett, almost single handedly drove the Celtice to victory. There have been times when I've despaired over Garnett clanking 19 footers, but last night when noone had a hot shooting night and some even hesitated to shoot open shots, Garnett stepped up and showed the courage that has marked his long career. He was simply extraordinary!
    Posted by trouts

I Love KG.. He just doesn't let up... His attitude is catching and his play is just superb!

He should be offered a good contract with a performance guarantee if he wants to continue. He is capable and is one of the best 3-4 center/pf's in the league even at his ""elevated age"". Include  the big 4+ and the C's will remain a serious contender for the short term and will OJT the kids to follow whether it be the present staff and or draft/trade choices.!

What a plan!!!! Imagine these guys staying with the Celtics in some capacity the next few years and contributing to the teams growth! Sounds like a dynasty. The skill..the intellect, and the mentor-ism. From A to Z.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

He really was. I never thought I would say the Celtics should throw big money at him this off season, but now that he is playing the 5 and playing it so well? There are only a handful of centers out there better than him. If he only wants a two year contract you have to money him up.  People are talking about paying Kaman a max deal?  KG is twice the player Kaman is. Even at this age.
    Posted by snakeoil123

If you guys don't sign KG I hope my Lakers do. Even at his age you can count on one thing, intensity the whole game.  My Laker team has some bigs that clearly don't play with the passion of KG.  I wonder how much that has to do with Kobe shooting everytime he touches the ball.  I know Drew would like more shots.  He can't get them with Kobe firing away from everywhere. That takes me back to KG and team ball. Not sure KG would want to play with someone like Kobe either. Little or no ball movement. KG not being a great rebounder any more would make him a non factor with my team. I guess I can dream of having KG on our team though. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I see KG playing another 1 for sure and maybe 2 years very effectively. But compared to Parrish, remember he had Kevin McHale many times guarded by 2 to free Robert up. Kevin does not. If we can get Hibbert or Kaman or even D. Howard, if possible, or get lucky with a couple of great 6'-11" -7 ft draft picks to play along with KG as LA has done with Bynum & Gasol.

Then keep our guard duo, Rondo & AB, and PP, Ray Allen if possible, Pietrus, Bass & returning Wilcox & Green, I believe we'll, despite Miami, be favorite as contenders next year !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

KG is committed to playing his heart out for these playoffs.  The future will take care of itself.  Next year with everyone older will most likely not present the opportunity we have right now.  KG loves Doc and the Celtics if he plays next year it will be with one team the Celtics.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

There are some players who you just love to see do good. KG is all heart and soul out there!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Two year deal max.  I believe that is all he has left in the tank.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I see KG playing another 1 for sure and maybe 2 years very effectively. But compared to Parrish, remember he had Kevin McHale many times guarded by 2 to free Robert up. Kevin does not. If we can get Hibbert or Kaman or even D. Howard, if possible, or get lucky with a couple of great 6'-11" -7 ft draft picks to play along with KG as LA has done with Bynum & Gasol. Then keep our guard duo, Rondo & AB, and PP, Ray Allen if possible, Pietrus, Bass & returning Wilcox & Green, I believe we'll, despite Miami, be favorite as contenders next year !
    Posted by mandobello

Don't know if you overlooked the fact that Parrish, besides having McHale, also had a guy named Bird at the other forward spot drawing a bit of attention. KG has Bass and Hollins---kind of a dropoff from what Parrish had to work with!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In Response to Monster Game!:
    Posted by trouts

I so totally agree.

As Always,

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Mandobello and trouts,

I have trouble responding to C's fans who spells a HOFer and one of the greatest Celtics ever's name wrong several times... but I guess I will just point out that you are both mistaken

I am NOT talking about 81-88 Parish who was 3rd banana to the best forward duo over those years... I am talking about the guy who stayed healthy and productive as Bird/McHale broke down and missed games.

Bird missed the ENTIRE '88-'89 season and McHale was starting his slow decline from the foot injury that never healed... and Robert put up an 18.6/12.5 at age 35. WOW. He was 35 in August before the season started and KG is 35 now and turns 36 in a week... so ummm... yeah... kinda a good comparison to make.

McHale averaged 64 games, 14.3 points and 6 rebounds 91-93 when he was 33-35... barely better than Bass, who is on the court for an entire season, not missing 25% of it.

Bird was only able to make it into 60 and 45 games in 91 and 92, yeah he still got 19 points, 8 boards and 6 assists but it wasn't the same Bird at age 35-36.

Meanwhile ho-hum Robert Parish missed all of SEVEN games over THREE seasons 91-93 at ages 37-39 (the final season of which Bird was RETIRED so this is the SECOND mid-late 30's age Robert Parish season Bird wasn't even playing in) and was still good for 13.8 points and 9.8 rebounds a game. AT 37-39.

I'm simply saying that if KG, with a similar body, can come close to the 14/10 Robert put up at 37-38 while missing just 4 games like Parish did the next two years at the 5 I'll be pretty happy. and Robert is an example of a skinny 7 footer who was able to put up those stats and play those minutes/games at those ages in case anyone doesn't think it is possible for KG to do.

And KG has Ray/Pierce who you can't leave to double him as well.... even if I did just destroy ur entire argument without having to bring that up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

Another monster game for KG in last night's on-the-edge-of your-seat victory over Philly at the Garden!  His line of 29 points (12-20 FG), 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and just his superb defensive prowess, willed the Celtics to this win.  He had a lot of help from Rondo (13, 12 and 17 triple double), Pierce (big shot in clutch),  and Ray (+17, just his presence & threat).  Game was sloppy at times and a lot of missed open looks, but it was sure special to see Celtics get the spoils and that big grin on Danny's face!

As Always,

Sections
Shortcuts