More JON, Less Big Baby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticreuven. Show celticreuven's posts

More JON, Less Big Baby

Baby now seems hesitant about his outside shot--which to me is a big reason why one would play Baby over JON.  I think JON being in that game would have closed down the paint more and helped retrieve some of those rebounds.  The Knicks were killing us on the boards and this was a big part why this game was so scary (and of course, not mention Melo).  I just feel JON is playing some damn good ball right now.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Re: More JON, Less Big Baby

In Response to More JON, Less Big Baby:
    [QUOTE]Baby now seems hesitant about his outside shot--which to me is a big reason why one would play Baby over JON.  I think JON being in that game would have closed down the paint more and helped retrieve some of those rebounds.  The Knicks were killing us on the boards and this was a big part why this game was so scary (and of course, not mention Melo).  I just feel JON is playing some damn good ball right now.
    Posted by celticreuven[/QUOTE]

Yes, I dont know what is going on with him tonight, I would like to see Murphy get some minutes as well. He is 6'11 and is a better rebounder.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to More JON, Less Big Baby:
    [QUOTE]Baby now seems hesitant about his outside shot--which to me is a big reason why one would play Baby over JON.  I think JON being in that game would have closed down the paint more and helped retrieve some of those rebounds.  The Knicks were killing us on the boards and this was a big part why this game was so scary (and of course, not mention Melo).  I just feel JON is playing some damn good ball right now.
    Posted by celticreuven[/QUOTE]

you're 100% wrong.  davis worked his asse off tonight on the help defense and was no small part of derailing the carmelo express.

he was good on the boards and scored a couple of hoops.  they really weren't looking for him and the knicks were afraid of him getting off and were immediately doubling him in the post. 

not like it's a big deal, our floor is filled with three other capable medium and long range shooters.

davis hustled 100% tonight and it's a FACT that o'neal no longer has the mobility to run the switcharoo / jump back defense with the agility and skill that davis does.  part of me wishes they cooled of carmelo earlier using that strategy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I thought Glen played hard. He was all over the place setting some nasty screens. I thought he had a good game despite his offensive woes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: More JON, Less Big Baby:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: More JON, Less Big Baby : No he wasn't ... he was only out there to spread the floor on offense. How many times did BBD double Melo ... once, twice? He can't stay with Melo. And he certainly can't defend Amare so he's worthless in this series unless he starts hitting his shot.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

m-8, he did it during nut cupping time and we didn't get burned because of it.  that means he did it very well.  nut cupping time is when you don't want to be exposed with trying to do that and not having the MOST mobile and quickest big man out there to pull it off. 

lemme ask you this, davis has been the closer 5 this year on a team that won a crapload of games with no perkins and before the trade rankled the team.  why does he now NOT be the closer, esp. when your strategy is to cool off melo using doubles??!?!@#$#

there's other stuff to gripe about in this game, but davis' floor time being too much isn't one of 'em that rings true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]I thought Glen played hard. He was all over the place setting some nasty screens. I thought he had a good game despite his offensive woes.
    Posted by OneNation[/QUOTE]

yesaaaahhhhh!  he folded up bill walker like a cheap tent on one screen. 

and walker had been a prikkck all night underneath trying to play tough guy. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Agreed   DAvis was awful tonight.  Give JON more minutes he is ready.  And are the Celtics going to get any help from their second unit.  They were horrible tonight and let the knick right back in the game after the first unit built a ten point lead. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I have to admit, I don't like Walker.....seems like a punk/thug...(of course, if he were still a Celtic....well then.....)

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Doc says JO 'wasn't limited' and he liked Baby to 'stretch the floor' but wasn't sure he made the right call and seemed to almost admit he made the wrong call in keeping JO on the bench.

Davis may have 'worked his @ss off" yet he was flailing helplessly at rebounds Knicks players ended up with, managed only 3 shots, was blown by a few times and scored over and was a -11.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More JON, Less Big Baby : No he wasn't ... he was only out there to spread the floor on offense. How many times did BBD double Melo ... once, twice? He can't stay with Melo. And he certainly can't defend Amare so he's worthless in this series unless he starts hitting his shot.

he doubled Melo at least 7 or 8 time sin the 4th quarter

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

JO needs to be the Center at the end of the game. Our rebounding with Davis in there is unnacceptable.

I am really proud of JO so far this post season. He is playing like he wants a Championship to his name.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

JON is only being given about 22-28 mins right now. We are not pushing our luck with him.

KG gets 36 mins.

Green is being given maybe 8 mins at PF. In what I think is a very foolish lineup that has DWest and Rondo in the backcourt together and a round robin of Baby, KG, JON or Kristic at C.

But that means Baby is going to get 24-30 mins a game until Shaq comes back. We can certainly beta NY with him playing that many mins, but not the other 'top 5 in the NBA' teams we'll face after.

12 mins of shaq... Baby on the court for like 16-10 mins, half of them w/ KG and half of them w/ JON. THAT has to happen by rd 2 for us to be was good as we can be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Fierce-Smierce, Even Doc admitted that Davis was out there to spread the floor on offense and maybe he should have played JON more. Sure putting the DT on Melo was a good strategy in the final minutes but he could have avoided that entire scenario had we had interior D and rebounding earlier.

if they are playing tight perimeter on davis, what's he supposed to do, go yank the ball away from someone else and just bomb it?

what you're seeing, my blind man, is the knicks have respect for what davis does on the offensive end, inside and out.  but alas, his contributions do not end there.  he is a well above average passer and better court vision and basic instincts than most.  and his help defense is best in the league for a big man.

so in my book doc can go blow himself if he WAS complaining about davis not shooting, which i don't think he was.  i think he was just thinking aloud about which would have been the better choice if he knew the defense was going to be that tight on big baby. 

i don't think he went horribly wrong with davis in the game.  loads of hustle.  i like JO's game right now, don't get me wrong.  but i cringe every time he busts it after a loose ball or goes to the floor.  his value right now is a paint guarding shot blocker.  late in THIS game i think we needed the rangey help defense superiority more.

and whatever nincompoop stated that davis helped "once or twice" on carmelo in the closing minutes was wrong.  i counted 8 times he was the 2nd man and they got the ball away from carmelo to people we'd much rather see shooting.  we got burned once when kg did not rotate and get jeffries rolling to the bucket.  not bad.  much better than carmelo winding up with 50 and we lose.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

JON needs to close out games.  He has the height to rebound, disrupt shots or block them.  He can also hit the 10 feet shot pretty consistently.  Forget "spreading the floor," all that does is expose our weakness on the boards.  I was ready to through my remote through the screen when the knicks kept getting rebounds late in the fourth on that one possession.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]JON is only being given about 22-28 mins right now. We are not pushing our luck with him. KG gets 36 mins. Green is being given maybe 8 mins at PF. In what I think is a very foolish lineup that has DWest and Rondo in the backcourt together and a round robin of Baby, KG, JON or Kristic at C. But that means Baby is going to get 24-30 mins a game until Shaq comes back. We can certainly beta NY with him playing that many mins, but not the other 'top 5 in the NBA' teams we'll face after. 12 mins of shaq... Baby on the court for like 16-10 mins, half of them w/ KG and half of them w/ JON. THAT has to happen by rd 2 for us to be was good as we can be.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

i completely agree with those theoretical rotations.

some bozos on this post want to run jerlame into the ground in the first round.  brill-yint, huh? 

with krstic playing like he forgot how to play the game / not being given a chance to impact the game alternately, what is doc supposed to do?

for jerlame to be there assuming we make the finals, i think 22-24 minutes is pinning the needle on the outer edges of "wise amounts of playing time". 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you. Baby makes me want to break things. He has been TERRIBILE. People tried to convince me he didn't play bad the first game because he was +13 when JO was clearly the 2nd most important player to Ray and game one but was a -11. He is awful. Dowright putrid right now. I guess it can only get better. I love the " Baby played hard " that's all people have since he hasn't done squat to affect the game. JO erased 4 shots in 1st quarter. That's more than Baby contributed the whole game.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

WOWZERS!!  Tom, here's a penny for your thought(s?)- davis had 6 boards tonight in 26 mins, to JO's 3 boards in over 20 mins.  jerlame blocked 2 shots tonight, davis scored 2 more points, had one more assist and one more steal than JO.  he shot 2-3, jerlame shot 1-3.

so there you have it.  when glen looks for his shot he gets crucified as a gunner.  when he goes out and works hard and serves up a pretty complete game, including defense, you hate him all the same.

the plus/minus is a fraudulent statistic.  here is why davis' was high tonight- he was in when the bench, namely "butterflies" green, coughed up the lead early.  then he was ALSO in when carmelo went insane.  green coughed up about 8 easy points when he was out there that were not recovered.  is that davis' fault? 

didn't green have open looks galore inside and only converted one of them?  was the fact that carmelo went nutty happy triple birthday davis' fault?  to the contrary, he helped get cramelo under control with AT LEAST EIGHT double teams that worked very well in helping to get the ball away from the white hot carmelo. 

but all you see is red when you think of glen davis no matter what he does.  maybe you can try looking objectively at the score sheet and game a little bit?

we have a DECENT tandem at 5 right now that includes JO, a fragile guy who has just been sewn back together for the 90th time and you want to run him extended mins vs. the knicks?  really? 

we're doing okay.  we'll do better with shak in the fold to soak up some minutes at the 5.  maybe you should sneak into the practice facility and scream at shak some.  seems like he's your biggest issue.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tachometrix. Show Tachometrix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More JON, Less Big Baby : if they are playing tight perimeter on davis, what's he supposed to do, go yank the ball away from someone else and just bomb it? what you're seeing, my blind man, is the knicks have respect for what davis does on the offensive end, inside and out.  but alas, his contributions do not end there.  he is a well above average passer and better court vision and basic instincts than most.  and his help defense is best in the league for a big man. so in my book doc can go blow himself if he WAS complaining about davis not shooting, which i don't think he was.  i think he was just thinking aloud about which would have been the better choice if he knew the defense was going to be that tight on big baby.  i don't think he went horribly wrong with davis in the game.  loads of hustle.  i like JO's game right now, don't get me wrong.  but i cringe every time he busts it after a loose ball or goes to the floor.  his value right now is a paint guarding shot blocker.  late in THIS game i think we needed the rangey help defense superiority more. and whatever nincompoop stated that davis helped "once or twice" on carmelo in the closing minutes was wrong.  i counted 8 times he was the 2nd man and they got the ball away from carmelo to people we'd much rather see shooting.  we got burned once when kg did not rotate and get jeffries rolling to the bucket.  not bad.  much better than carmelo winding up with 50 and we lose.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Looks like Mployee8 got a spanking from acie. Laughing

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I like JON late in the game.. hes been playing great and his presence is altering alot of shots.. it may not show up in the stats but hes having a huge impact in alot of ways.

Last night I thought it was a good spot to play JON even more. Amare was out, the Knicks had very little in the way of big men... JON would have been a giant out there. 

BBD been struggling for awhile.. if he had his shot going or was getting to the rim drawing fouls, it wouldnt be hard to see him in there in crunch time.

In the end, he was the one doubling Melo but the Knicks were still scoring... On the last Knick possession, BBD's double on Melo led to a wide open Jeffries 3 feet from the hoop. Fortunately, he had no intention of putting the ball up for the winner... looking immediately to pass it when "KG STOLE THE BALL!!!"

Sections
Shortcuts