More on the advent of the Modern NBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

More on the advent of the Modern NBA

Here is a link that shows the difference in basketball as it was in the beginning and basketball as we know it today....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_clock#History

with ths shot clock came many changes as basketball evolved.....the set shot was soon replaced by the jump shot...with Russell's entrance into the league, rebounding, defense, and blocking shots revoluntionalized the game....the fast break came into vogue....dunking became a weapon used by giants like Wilt....Red made the "Sixth Man" an important part of the game...since then, there have been a few changes to the rules (zone defense is now legal, hand checking isn't allowed...the 3 point shot)...but really, basketball as we know it today evolved with the advent of the shot clock....the modern era was born...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Re: More on the advent of the Modern NBA

The modern era began when they stopped wearing bikinis. Period.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I think you're referring to "nutters"...? Good one! .....now the shorts can hang down almost to the shins....sort of like baseball where the pants almost get tangled up with the cleats....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Dont forget, these days the 5 step rule allows players to run like a fullback with the basketball and the air/imaginery foul allows players to shoot many more FT's than the older days..padding stats and improving those ratios some like to use like, points per minute.

Also, One extra ref running around making sure the other 2 refs dont get caught up in the game and mess up the point spread or marketing objectives.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

How about the league was predominantly white and most African Americans did not have access to the (cough cough) NBA. Oh yeah, until about 1966 the celtics didn't have to play any playoff games....they went straight to 'their' conference final, muahahahahahahaha. No playoff series to get there, straight to the finals lmao!

The NBA was a joke back then the only saving grace was it started the step to what we know as the REAL NBA we have today!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: More on the advent of the Modern NBA:
    [QUOTE]How about the league was predominantly white and most African Americans did not have access to the (cough cough) NBA. Oh yeah, until about 1966 the celtics didn't have to play any playoff games....they went straight to 'their' conference final, muahahahahahahaha. No playoff series to get there, straight to the finals lmao! The NBA was a joke back then the only saving grace was it started the step to what we know as the REAL NBA we have today!
    Posted by Laker-Nation32[/QUOTE]

Again belittling the titles won by the Yankees and the BROOKLYN Dodgers!

Way to go!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

I should add that when Wilt entered the league, only 4 players.......4 P L A Y E R S.....were over 6-8!!!

Like I said, comical and bears little resemblance to today!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]I should add that when Wilt entered the league, only 4 players.......4 P L A Y E R S..... were over 6-8!!! Like I said, comical and bears little resemblance to today!

When Babe Ruth played, Ty Cobb won the Triple Crown with a whopping 9 HR's!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

......umm......the Celtics had no playoffs? .....went straight to the Finals?  ....well, that would be wrong....

and 4 players over 6-8? .....I quickly skimmed the rosters in '59/'60.....a total of 20 players 6-9 and taller are listed...due to a trade or two, there may have been a couple on the list that played for more than one team....but 4.....?   ......well, that would also be wrong.....

boy, you sure know your stuff...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]Dont forget, these days the 5 step rule allows players to run like a fullback with the basketball and the air/many more FT's than timaginery foul allows players to shoot he older days..padding stats and improving those ratios some like to use like, points per minute. Also, One extra ref running around making sure the other 2 refs dont get caught up in the game and mess up the point spread or marketing objectives.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

KarlLost
     I think you got the free throw shooting backwards.In the 60's they actually took 22 more free thow shots per game than they do now in the 2000's. I guess the " padding" was done by the teams of the 60's.
    Seems

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]......umm......the Celtics had no playoffs? .....went straight to the Finals?  ....well, that would be wrong.... and 4 players over 6-8? .....I quickly skimmed the rosters in '59/'60.....a total of 20 players 6-9 and taller are listed...due to a trade or two, there may have been a couple on the list that played for more than one team....but 4.....?   ......well, that would also be wrong..... boy, you sure know your stuff...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1959_1960_playoffs_brackets.htm
    http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1960_1961_playoffs_brackets.htm
    http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1962_1963_playoffs_brackets.htm
    http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1963_1964_playoffs_brackets.htm
    http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1964_1965_playoffs_brackets.htm

You just got served!!

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on the advent of the Modern NBA : http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1959_1960_playoffs_brackets.htm http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1960_1961_playoffs_brackets.htm http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1962_1963_playoffs_brackets.htm http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1963_1964_playoffs_brackets.htm http://www.nbauniverse.com/yearbyyear/1964_1965_playoffs_brackets.htm You just got served!! Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

links don't show heights

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on the advent of the Modern NBA : links don't show heights
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

For your next beatdown.....

http://www.411mania.com/sports/nba/48122/The-Death-of-the-NBA-Big-Man-Part-1.htm

And to quote " When compared to the NBA of today, 1960s NBA basketball was extremely undersized. Today a NBA team might have four or more players that are 6'9 or taller. When Wilt Chamberlain entered the NBA in 1960, there were only four players in the LEAGUE that were taller than six foot eight."

You just schooled again, another beat down!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on the advent of the Modern NBA : For your next beatdown..... http://www.411mania.com/sports/nba/48122/The-Death-of-the-NBA-Big-Man-Part-1.htm And to quote " When compared to the NBA of today, 1960s NBA basketball was extremely undersized. Today a NBA team might have four or more players that are 6'9 or taller. When Wilt Chamberlain entered the NBA in 1960, there were only four players in the LEAGUE that were taller than six foot eight." You just schooled again, another beat down!!

How did I get schooled?  Your beef is with the Duke!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on the advent of the Modern NBA : How did I get schooled?  Your beef is with the Duke!

You chose to get involved so I laid on a beat down! You celtic fans don't know much huh...oh that's right, hard watching a game with a patch over one eye!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to More on the advent of the Modern NBA:
    [QUOTE]Here is a link that shows the difference in basketball as it was in the beginning and basketball as we know it today.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_clock#History with ths shot clock came many changes as basketball evolved.....the set shot was soon replaced by the jump shot...with Russell's entrance into the league, rebounding, defense, and blocking shots revoluntionalized the game....the fast break came into vogue....dunking became a weapon used by giants like Wilt....Red made the "Sixth Man" an important part of the game...since then, there have been a few changes to the rules (zone defense is now legal, hand checking isn't allowed...the 3 point shot)...but really, basketball as we know it today evolved with the advent of the shot clock....the modern era was born...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

How could the 50's and 60's be modern era basketball. As late as 1968-1969, of the top 70 scorers, 30 were white Americans for 43%.  In 2009-10, of the top 150 scorers, only 6 were white Americans. Thats 4%.

note: In 68-69 there were 14 teams x 5 players= 70
            In 09-10 there were 30 teams x 5 players= 150

Note;In Russell's 1st full year, (57-58), of the top 40 players, 34 were white Americans.  Thats 85%.

Seems 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Modern NBA - invention of the shot clock.   Period.  End of discussion!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I see the kid's link must be some blogger's remembrance.....I named 16 players that were 6-9 or taller in Wilt's rookie year (including Wilt himself)....not sure where the "only 4" came from....oh well....kids huh? ....I wonder if he ever saw Bird & Magic play..............? ...nah...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

You know, I wonder if this kid even knows that in almost the first 70 years of MLB the two regular season league champs went right to the world series....?  ....does he know that playoffs were added in 1969.....?  ..nah......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]How about the league was predominantly white and most African Americans did not have access to the (cough cough) NBA. Oh yeah, until about 1966 the celtics didn't have to play any playoff games....they went straight to 'their' conference final, muahahahahahahaha. No playoff series to get there, straight to the finals lmao! The NBA was a joke back then the only saving grace was it started the step to what we know as the REAL NBA we have today!

Once again attacking Jerry Wests early Lakers teams. Which were good teams. And the Mikan Lakers era. Really not showing any respect for the Mikan era. Much like Management did prior to the last decade.  So I guess that's to be expected.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on the advent of the Modern NBA : Again belittling the titles won by the Yankees and the BROOKLYN Dodgers! Way to go!

That same argument could apply to MLB back then and now. He's referring to a conference final series, then to the actual finals. Back then in MLB you simply won your side of American or National league then to the world series. It is monumentally tougher to have to zig zag your way through 2 very capable foes in your own league before you even get to the series. In the NBA instead of 2 steps like before to a title, it's 4 steps. And those 4 steps are getting tougher and tougher to get through.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More on the advent of the Modern NBA : That same argument could apply to MLB back then and now. He's referring to a conference final series, then to the actual finals. Back then in MLB you simply won your side of American or National league then to the world series. It is monumentally tougher to have to zig zag your way through 2 very capable foes in your own league before you even get to the series. In the NBA instead of 2 steps like before to a title, it's 4 steps. And those 4 steps are getting tougher and tougher to get through.
    Posted by lakersavenger[/QUOTE]

Not arguing that.  Just saying that because it's tougher does not necessarily mean the TEAMS are better - or the players.  Tougher, maybe, because of parity........not lack of.  Look at your Lakers this year.  Took a team lightly, and POW!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]Modern NBA - invention of the shot clock.   Period.  End of discussion!

I agree with that. But really the game became a new sport with the introduction of the shot clock. It's still basketball but fundamentally it's completely different.

Was sadly evidence by how much the game changed with the Shot Clock that George Mikan could not play the 'modern' game. But that changes nothing that he dominated his era of basketball. Same as Russell and Jordan dominated their 'eras' of basketball.

The game from that point has continually evolved for better and worse since.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]I think you're referring to "nutters"...? Good one! .....now the shorts can hang down almost to the shins....sort of like baseball where the pants almost get tangled up with the cleats....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

hey Duke, take me off ignore for a sec so I can tell you that I didn't know what the heck you were referring to with "nutters", until I googled and, yes that's what I was referring to, When I learned what the term meant it made me lmao, so thanks, its the first time I've had a smile while in enemy terrritory for a while. But now I'm back to mean.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

hey, c'mon buddy....we can all contribute and have some fun on this board...I will not put you on "ignore" again....glad I could help bring a smile to your face.....I really enjoy the friendly interaction within our group....a few (young'uns) spoil the fun....in my opinion.....I may be 60....rest assured you will all (hopefully) get there too....and you will find that you still think like you did when you were 40 years younger....maybe with a bit more wisdom....(and maybe not)....but it's all good!

Sections
Shortcuts