More underrated Cedric Maxwell or Jo Jo White

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

More underrated Cedric Maxwell or Jo Jo White

Both were stars in college. Jo Jo was an all american, while Maxwell carried NC Charlotte to the Final four. Both were top ten picks in the draft and both were huge playoff performers for the Celtics. Max the 81 finals MVP and best player in game 7 vs LA in 1984. Jo Jo was the man in the Phoenix series in 1976. Yet when people discuss big time clutch Celtic players, you here Hondo, Bird, McHale, Pierce, Ray Allen, Dennis Johnson....but rarely Jo Jo or Max. Jo Jo by the way should be in the hall of fame, that is how underrated I feel he is? I loved DJ, but when did he become as good as Jo Jo White. Jo Jo playing with Bird, McHale and Chief would have been a first ballot hall of famer!

What do you guys think of these guys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: More underrated Cedric Maxwell or Jo Jo White

Good topic Celtics1986.

JoJo was solid, reliable player with that weird jumper. Max was a go-to guy in the clutch, always coming through in the big spots.

Comparing them as "more underrated" is tough one.

For all Max did he was still in the shadow of Larry and ditto for the teams JoJo played on. They are usually both under the radar when discussing great players but JoJo more so imo.

I hate when questions like this come up and its not clear cut. Good one . Maybe someone else has a better perspective than I... too tough for me

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I know JoJo since his wife Debbie worked for me....great guy....bigger than I expected and very soft spoken...he is a class act and I think he was a terrific player..I also got to meet Max at one of JoJo's sports weekends in Rochester...he is a funny guy and also a terrific dude...I loved his game...he was great around the basket, played great defense, rebounded....and he was great in the clutch....it was a shame that he didn't end his career in Boston....but he was responsible for getting himself traded...it is very hard to pick one over the other...but two of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of talking basketball with.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

Jo Jo was a 7 time all star and Max never played in the all star game. So it would appear that Jo Jo received more respect than max. In my opinion Jo Jo was the better player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

I don't agree that Max shipped himself out of town.  Red thought he was dogging his recovery from knee surgery and that's why he left - not Max's idea nor his fault.  Recovery from surgery varies from one individual to another and even among surgeries.  Example - I had read about and seen athletes performing a week after arthroscopic surgery, so when I had my first (w/eight to follow before two replacements) I wrapped it up and went to the gym.  My second scope was a year later, and I knew at that point to go slower, do the PT, and wait at least three or four weeks to heal before trying to play again.  I thought Max needed more time than Red thought he needed, but I wasn't speaking with Red at the time so I couldn't throw in my two cents.  I did get to tell Red to get rid of Ainge a year before he finally made the move.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think jo jo white was more mainstream popular than maxwell was, so the "underrated" factor probably goes to white.  maxwell became an increasingly de-emphasized part of the c's starting in 1981 when mchale showed up.  yet still, in 1984 he did they "climb on my back" thing and really keyed a huge win for us.  nobody really expected that from maxwell at the time and mchale was struggling a lot.

i'd say max is the more underrated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I have to agree Max never making a All Star Game makes him more underrated

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I have read that Bird kind of accused Max of taking it easy during his rehab....Max did have the reputation of telling the guys something like...."it's the Clippers tonight boys and you're on your own....I don't get up for playing the junior varsity".....something like that.....Red did get really mad and shipped him out...of course, in came Walton and we won another title...all in all, JoJo was probably a better player....loved them both!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Max is my second all time favorite Celtic next to Hondo. Jo-Jo was the bigger star, so I guess Max was a little more underrated. I hate it when they say the big 3 the big 3 and never mention that it was the big 4 that won them two titles in 81 and 84.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Excellent point on "the Big 4".....Max was a key component on those teams...before Bird and McHale arrived and his minutes were cut down somewhat, he was on his way to becoming a 20/10 guy....(2nd year in the league he averaged 19 PPG with 9.9 RPG....also led the league in FGP.....)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Though 86 was a better team, did we a have a deeper and more talented bench then the 84 team. Mchale, Ainge, Buckner, Wedman, Carr?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

....that was one helluva bench!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: More underrated Cedric Maxwell or Jo Jo White:
    [QUOTE]Max is my second all time favorite Celtic next to Hondo. Jo-Jo was the bigger star, so I guess Max was a little more underrated. I hate it when they say the big 3 the big 3 and never mention that it was the big 4 that won them two titles in 81 and 84.
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

you have a great point, it really was the big 4 for 2 of the 3 cups.

maxwell was my favorite celtic for his rook year and then larry bird showed up.  who couldn't love a guy with almost zero offensive skills other than shucking and juking who averaged over 15 points a game?

all in all, max was pretty darn clutch.

but no comparison to jo jo white who was a team star- he was the 3rd cog in the 70s team star trio of white-hondo-cowens that ran for all those years.

maxwell is the forgotten fourth!!  but i won't forget him.  he had some great games against philly and LA that defined that new era of celts greatness

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Gotta go with Max

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Remember this is who was more underrated, not who was better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

....so, in my opinion, White was a better all around player but Max was more underrated...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: More underrated Cedric Maxwell or Jo Jo White:
    [QUOTE]....so, in my opinion, White was a better all around player but Max was more underrated...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

That is correct. White was an NBA star, but Max was darn good.

Sections
Shortcuts