Most imortant need... a 7ft Double Digit Scorer & Rebounder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Most imortant need... a 7ft Double Digit Scorer & Rebounder

Ya know, last night I felt a little deja vu and hating to open old wounds but it seemed a bit like our game 7 loss in 2010. Yup, I also know that losing really helps us get closer to the top 5 ping pong ball teams but as I hate the Lakers, I almost felt like biting off my nose to spite my face as we build a 13 pt lead with 2 min to go 3rd Qtr(same in 2010) and I wanted a victory. I especially wanted it when D'Antoni said they'd come back... a guru he is not but did become prophetic & we became pathetic. 

We lost because we could not compete with Gasol and he played limited time too( who schooled us too in 2010) and Kaman( Bynum in 2010) both 7 footers got 32 points. Garnett was really a PF in Game 7 & also had a mediocre game & we needed one or two 3s from Ray Allen & didn't get them at crunch time while Farmar as in 2010 killed us with 3s.

We have been needing a Center since Perkins went down in game 6 and he wasn't a scorer but a good defender but with PP, KG & Allen we didn't need him to score. OK, I'm beating a dead horse here as I'm sure we all know we need a Center & I would try all possible to get Embiid and, if not, Asik. Also, got to get rid of Wallace and won't break my heart to see Bass & Green go too. Keep Sully, Oly and Johnson & draft or trade for 2 more PFs and our Guard situation is fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLACFAN. Show FLACFAN's posts

Re: Most imortant need... a 7ft Double Digit Scorer & Rebounder

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Ya know, last night I felt a little deja vu and hating to open old wounds but it seemed a bit like our game 7 loss in 2010. Yup, I also know that losing really helps us get closer to the top 5 ping pong ball teams but as I hate the Lakers, I almost felt like biting off my nose to spite my face as we build a 13 pt lead with 2 min to go 3rd Qtr(same in 2010) and I wanted a victory. I especially wanted it when D'Antoni said they'd come back... a guru he is not but did become prophetic & we became pathetic. 

We lost because we could not compete with Gasol and he played limited time too( who schooled us too in 2010) and Kaman( Bynum in 2010) both 7 footers got 32 points. Garnett was really a PF in Game 7 & also had a mediocre game & we needed one or two 3s from Ray Allen & didn't get them at crunch time while Farmar as in 2010 killed us with 3s.

We have been needing a Center since Perkins went down in game 6 and he wasn't a scorer but a good defender but with PP, KG & Allen we didn't need him to score. OK, I'm beating a dead horse here as I'm sure we all know we need a Center & I would try all possible to get Embiid and, if not, Asik. Also, got to get rid of Wallace and won't break my heart to see Bass & Green go too. Keep Sully, Oly and Johnson & draft or trade for 2 more PFs and our Guard situation is fine.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I want a longer closer look at Faerani.  He is a big boy.  He is experienced.  I recall him hustling, diving and muscleing pretty well early in the season.

He looked a lot better than Perkins ever did. 

I want to see him running with Rondo, Green, Sullinger and Bass as a starting 5 before we trade away other valuable players to get a better 5.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Thisneed for a true center is not new in any way, and I can certainly understand your frustration.

For all that Danny Ainge has done in Boston, he does not seem to either think that the center position is important or just cannot find a guy to fit into his salary cap limitations.

Those double digit rebounds you mention are much more important than blocked shots and even more important than scoring lots of points because if this mystery player gets 12 rebounds a game that will mean that there will be about 7 or 8 less offensive rebounds for the other team.

Yielding so many second chances to opponents night after night really hurts your ability to win games and especially those games that are close in the 4th quarter.  

How many games have the C's lost this year in the 4th quarter?  i am guessing at least a dozen. And, even if you might think that losing this year is OK as the team rebuilds they have lost games in previous years when they could not rebound late in the game and are likely to lose more games in the future for the same reason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Thisneed for a true center is not new in any way, and I can certainly understand your frustration.

For all that Danny Ainge has done in Boston, he does not seem to either think that the center position is important or just cannot find a guy to fit into his salary cap limitations.

Those double digit rebounds you mention are much more important than blocked shots and even more important than scoring lots of points because if this mystery player gets 12 rebounds a game that will mean that there will be about 7 or 8 less offensive rebounds for the other team.

Yielding so many second chances to opponents night after night really hurts your ability to win games and especially those games that are close in the 4th quarter.  

How many games have the C's lost this year in the 4th quarter?  i am guessing at least a dozen. And, even if you might think that losing this year is OK as the team rebuilds they have lost games in previous years when they could not rebound late in the game and are likely to lose more games in the future for the same reason.

You are 100% + correct  about the following:
    Re:

Since the lost to the Lakers in 2010 we were almost last in rebounding and needed to shoot 45-50% to win games as being outrebounded by 10+, you are correct they are 2nd chances and teams who shoot 35-45% would beat us. And, not able to continue to shoot 45-50%, we'd lose many games in the 4th Qtr and you are correct, we've needed a Center even when we had Perkins for quite a few years. I think if we can get Embiid and along with Sully and Oly(hope he develops) we could have the best Post Players since Bird, Parrish & McHale days.

By the way, what is the status with Faverini as no problem having 2 twin towers as Lakers did with Gasol/Bynum and Spurs with Robinson/ Duncan etc. and one can relieve the other or both can play at the same time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Would it be nice to have a 7-footer that averages a double-double? Sure. But the perception that there are a ton of guys like that out there is nonsense. Those are guys teams build around. 

Here are the people that are averaging a double-double in points and boards:

Kevin Love - available and Boston might have the pieces to get a trade done/cap space to sign him. My problem with K-Love is he doesn't play defense. 

Blake Griffin - not available. His growth has given LAC more incentive not to trade him. 

LaMarcus Aldridge - could be available, but all signs point to him re-signing in Portland.

Zach Randolph - could be avaiable, but Boston already has Sullinger, who I like more because he's younger, cheaper, smarter.

David Lee - could be available. Doesn't play defense, and I'm assuming the double-double guy you guys want Boston to build around has to be a decent rim protector. 

Tristan Thompson (12 and 9 per game) - could be available, but I don't think he fits the mold. 

Anthony Davis - not available. 

Tim Duncan - not available.

Greg Monroe - Detriot doesn't want to move him, but he's definitely available. Not a true center at 6'11, but I'm a huge fan.

Drummond - not available.

Howard - not available.

Cousins - Kings want to build around him so I'll go with not available.

Noah - not available. Won't leave the Bulls anyway.

DeAndre Jordan - not available.

Big Al - not available. Bad defender. 

Nikola Pekovic - not available. Really skilled offensively, but terrible defensively. 

Derek Favors - not available. Utah just extended him.

Varejao - too injury prone.

Nikola Vucevic - not available. Orlando wants to build around him. But overpaying for him during free agency might work. 

These guys are hard to find. That's why guys like DeAndre, Tyson Chandler, and Sanders are significantly overpaid. GM's recognize that you need a rim protector that can fill up stat sheets. Boston's best bet is to draft one (good luck) or overpay.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Greg Monroe is 6'11" and 250lbs. He can play either PF or C, but with a big man alongside him like Drummond who plays strictly in the paint, he's been unfit for the role of PF in Detroit.

He's a career 13 point 9 rebound guy who is only 23 years old.

Detroit is expected to not want to pay him 12-14 million a year with Josh Smith getting 14 for the next 3 and his best position being PF and Drummond needing a max deal in 2-3 years. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:

Would it be nice to have a 7-footer that averages a double-double? Sure. But the perception that there are a ton of guys like that out there is nonsense. Those are guys teams build around. 

Here are the people that are averaging a double-double in points and boards:

Kevin Love - available and Boston might have the pieces to get a trade done/cap space to sign him. My problem with K-Love is he doesn't play defense. 

Blake Griffin - not available. His growth has given LAC more incentive not to trade him. 

LaMarcus Aldridge - could be available, but all signs point to him re-signing in Portland.

Zach Randolph - could be avaiable, but Boston already has Sullinger, who I like more because he's younger, cheaper, smarter.

David Lee - could be available. Doesn't play defense, and I'm assuming the double-double guy you guys want Boston to build around has to be a decent rim protector. 

Tristan Thompson (12 and 9 per game) - could be available, but I don't think he fits the mold. 

Anthony Davis - not available. 

Tim Duncan - not available.

Greg Monroe - Detriot doesn't want to move him, but he's definitely available. Not a true center at 6'11, but I'm a huge fan.

Drummond - not available.

Howard - not available.

Cousins - Kings want to build around him so I'll go with not available.

Noah - not available. Won't leave the Bulls anyway.

DeAndre Jordan - not available.

Big Al - not available. Bad defender. 

Nikola Pekovic - not available. Really skilled offensively, but terrible defensively. 

Derek Favors - not available. Utah just extended him.

Varejao - too injury prone.

Nikola Vucevic - not available. Orlando wants to build around him. But overpaying for him during free agency might work. 

These guys are hard to find. That's why guys like DeAndre, Tyson Chandler, and Sanders are significantly overpaid. GM's recognize that you need a rim protector that can fill up stat sheets. Boston's best bet is to draft one (good luck) or overpay.

Thank you for the research and analysis---excellent. And I agree that we should do all possible to draft & I recommend getting Embiid. Omer Asik would be a nice addition but not a double double but is playing limited minutes with Houston & could be. As Celtic alumnus Nelson helped us get Parrish from Warriors maybe McHale too would accomodate ???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

As Celtic alumnus Nelson helped us get Parrish from Warriors maybe McHale too would accomodate ???

easy there, sfbf. fact check time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Problem is you have to land the #1 pick to guarentee yourself Joel Embiid. He's a great college player and definitely has the skills to be a great center in the NBA. I'm not sure what it would take for Boston to land that pick, but I'm sure Danny will take it into consideration. If they could secure themselves a top-5 pick I think it'll be a good starting point with whoever has #1. Danny could use his picks from Brooklyn plus a sign-and-trade with Avery to get it done. If someone like the Bucks lands that pick it's pretty conceivable they would give it up for the right price. Rondo could be in play there. The Bucks are the sort of team that needs multiple players. PG and SG are huge needs for them. They obviously like Giannis, Henson is a lanky 4, and I think they should keep Larry Sanders. Now they need depth (which you can get in the draft) and guard play (which the Celtics can give them). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Why do people like Fierce and SFBostonFan insist on putting a second r in Robert Parish's name? He is a hall of fame Celtics. Nobody ever types it Birrd or McHaale. It is not Parrish.

and wasn't Don Nelson coaching the Bucks when we traded for Parish?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

As Celtic alumnus Nelson helped us get Parrish from Warriors maybe McHale too would accomodate ???

easy there, sfbf. fact check time.

Mea Culpa...fortunately my off the head blunder was not life and death.

For anyone who cares this is how it happened and Nelson didn't coach Warriors until some 10 years later.

Heading into the 1980 NBA Draft, the Boston Celtics (who already had small forward Larry Bird ready to start his second NBA season) held the number one overall pick. In a pre-draft trade, Celtics President Red Auerbach dealt the top pick and an additional first-round pick to the Warriors for Parish and the Warriors' first-round pick, the third overall. With that pick, the Celtics chose Kevin McHale. The Warriors then selected Joe Barry Carroll with the first pick, whose career eventually was shortened by injuries, and whose perceived laziness earned him the moniker "Joe Barely Cares".

Loved Parish's(are you happy with the spelling now Rameakap) joking quote when he said "it was like going from an outhouse to a penthouse" when he was traded so I guess some players do love to come to Boston as a few posts said they didn't.

As we have not been lucky with ping pong ball bounces having missed on Tim Duncan, I would say that we were lucky here as we may have drafted  Joe Barry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Why stop there? Lets get one that is 8 feet tall.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yes, thank you for spelling his name correctly, and yes, we were very lucky there indeed. I'm sure most Celtic fans are aware of the story.

The Celtics also traded pick #13 in the deal, that ended up being Rickey Brown. A decent backup C in 

Some interesting 'what if' wrinkles to that draft:

1. Red BEGGED Ralph Sampson to leave school after his freshman year, at the time Sampson was only planning on staying 3 years. C's would have taken him #1 and no Parish/McHale frontcourt. Before injuries destroyed his career the 7'4" Sampson (who ended up staying all 4 years) was a very good 20/11 Center.

2. Utah was torn between taking Darrell Griffith at #2 or McHale. Flashy city loving players never take well to Salt Lake City and McHale's rural Minnesota upbringing was perfect and his raw talent very tempting. In the end they passed on Kevin b/c Griffith was practically a can't miss 20ppg SG and Kevin would need some development and everyone knew as early as college that he was a 2nd banana personality type, not the alpha dog.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The NBA breathed a huge sigh of relief when the Jazz passed on McHale and took Griffin. They were terrified of those two on the same team. When you look back at their careers you think... 'Oh McHale was WAY better, such a good pick' and Utah fans would have preferred him as well I'm sure.

But it really would have been interesting to see what happened if the Celtics had taken Griffith.

Cowens retired in training camp off a 14 point 8 rebound age 31 season, in part because the Celtics frontcourt was so loaded that he felt his absence wouldn't hurt them. One could hope that Griffith, a megastar in college who everyone knew would contribute more out the gate than McHale and a need for another big, could have gotten 2-4 more years out of Dave. He would have done better than the 10/4.4 McHale gave as a rookie in '81 and matched the 13.6/6.8 McHale gave his 2nd year.

Griffith was a 20ppg guy from day 1. His presence in the backcourt in '81-'82 would have made 32-33 year old starter Chris Ford the backup at both guard spots and cut back the mins of 32-33 year ild Tiny Archibald. The C's would simply have been more dominant with Cowens and Griffith. Nobody can say for sure, but you'd like their chances of winning back to back titles. The '82 team that lost to the Sixers was crushed by young SG Andrew Toney feasting on Ford/Tiny's old legs and veteran PF Bobby Jones schooling McHale for 2 wins of that 7 game series. Cowens and Griffith get the league to Magic-Bird 2 years earlier than McHale does.

The 1982 finals would have been really awesome. The '83 team would NEVER have let the Bucks sweep them, but probably still lost to the Moses Malone led Sixers who were on a mission, in a battle for sure. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

lol

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:

Almost every team in the NBA needs a 7-footer who can score and rebound.

The Heat have proven you can win a championship without a 7-footer who can score and rebound.

So let's wait and see what Ainge can do after the season.

They also proved you wrong when you said the celtics lost the title to the Lakers more b/c of rebounding issues than injuries.

Your biggest 'proof' was a stat saying no team that averaged under 40 rebounds a game has won an NBA title. Then the Heat went and won one averaging less than the '10 Celtics. C's lost that series more b/c of the injuries.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Greg Monroe is 6'11" and 250lbs. He can play either PF or C, but with a big man alongside him like Drummond who plays strictly in the paint, he's been unfit for the role of PF in Detroit.

He's a career 13 point 9 rebound guy who is only 23 years old.

Detroit is expected to not want to pay him 12-14 million a year with Josh Smith getting 14 for the next 3 and his best position being PF and Drummond needing a max deal in 2-3 years. 

Stop dreaming.

I told you Greg Monroe would never become a Celtic this season.

I'm telling you again, Greg Monroe will NOT become a Celtic next season.

I am not predicting Greg Monroe will be a Celtic.

But I would gladly discuss fair value for both sides trade ideas... again with the understanding that discussing player movement via trades is never prediction based b/c of how hard it is for them to ever be worked out.

It'd be fun if Humphries was signed and traded.... in a deal fopr Monroe! Making you wrong twice. Althhough that is what you have been averaging every 4-5 days here for the last 3 weeks so it would just be a normal week for you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

agree that is a big need but I'm still taking Parker over that

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Almost every team in the NBA needs a 7-footer who can score and rebound.

The Heat have proven you can win a championship without a 7-footer who can score and rebound.

So let's wait and see what Ainge can do after the season.

=================================

Yup, but no other team has a LeBron. Even Kobe, many times compared to MJ, needed Gasol & Bynum to win in 2010. As you know Fierce, getting some 10+ rebounds allows 2nd chance shots and as a blind chipmonk occasionally finds an acorn, a team shooting 35-40% can beat one shooting 45-50% with more tries at the basket. Kobe, in fact, only shot 25% in Game 7 but extra rebs gave Farmar & World Peace extra shots and a couple of 3s were daggers.  Yup, I know too that the the egregious difference in foul shots 41-18 and 21 in just the last qtr was critical too but a few more rebs and RA & PP might have added to our 14 pt lead we had at the end of the 3rd Qtr. Hated to bring up old wounds as I'm still pissed at that game !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

do they allow robots in the NBA?  I am designing BIGMAN 3000 and I think he could help

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

I know,  I know....lets get TWO 8 footers who can go for 10/10 every night!

I mean the 7 footers grow on trees, we all know.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

And those missed free throws.If we hade hit 50% of them,the results would have been different.Go celtics.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

yep...the celts have been getting shellaced on the boards andthough this season sully is big and stevens sends guys crashing

but a 7 footer who can get double doubles would be great.  I keep asking WHEN the last time was we had a center and had been forgetting about Perk....funny how I would foget about Perk...he did help bring a championship here....sorry about that perk

Sections
Shortcuts