Most imortant need... a 7ft Double Digit Scorer & Rebounder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Most imortant need... a 7ft Double Digit Scorer & Rebounder

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thisneed for a true center is not new in any way, and I can certainly understand your frustration.

For all that Danny Ainge has done in Boston, he does not seem to either think that the center position is important or just cannot find a guy to fit into his salary cap limitations.

Those double digit rebounds you mention are much more important than blocked shots and even more important than scoring lots of points because if this mystery player gets 12 rebounds a game that will mean that there will be about 7 or 8 less offensive rebounds for the other team.

Yielding so many second chances to opponents night after night really hurts your ability to win games and especially those games that are close in the 4th quarter.  

How many games have the C's lost this year in the 4th quarter?  i am guessing at least a dozen. And, even if you might think that losing this year is OK as the team rebuilds they have lost games in previous years when they could not rebound late in the game and are likely to lose more games in the future for the same reason.

[/QUOTE]

Re: How many games have the C's lost this year in the 4th quarter?  i am guessing at least a dozen. And, even if you might think that losing this year is OK as the team rebuilds they have lost games in previous years when they could not rebound late in the game and are likely to lose more games in the future for the same reason.

About losing games where we were even or ahead in 3rd Qtr, this team reminds me of a fighter who is to throw a fight but he is told to make a good show of it for awhile and we certainly have as very infrequently do we appear blown out at the half. (Yup, I know this has nothing to do with being outrebounded but as we are not an old team, it is uncanny we seem to fall apart perhaps being fatigued in the last Qtr.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to shines01's comment:

yep...the celts have been getting shellaced on the boards andthough this season sully is big and stevens sends guys crashing

but a 7 footer who can get double doubles would be great.  I keep asking WHEN the last time was we had a center and had been forgetting about Perk....funny how I would foget about Perk...he did help bring a championship here....sorry about that perk

I sincerely believe we would have won Game 7 vs hated Lakers in 2010 had Perk not gone down in Game 6. But Perk still was not a prolific rebounder or scorer but a Banger and good defender. He was not needed to score, nor was Rondo either, as we had PP, RA & KG to get us 60 points per game. But now,and I know this is not about Rondo, but it would be better to have a scorer like a Paul, Rose & Westbrook ( when healthy), Nash (when younger) to give us 20 points per game and also a prolific rebounder and scorer to also give us 20 +/15 Rebs per game because, again, we don't have PP, KG & RA but Bass, Green & Wallace and there won't be a dry eyein my house to see them gone but keep Sully and Oly(and hope he develops).

Lakers had it 3 years ago with Kobe giving them 20-30 points and then Gasol & Bynum giving them another 20 or so points and 15 rebounds so the other mediocre shooters could have 2nd chance shots.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

well 7'0'' double,double guy's don't grow on tree's...

we can get free agents

pau gasol

spencre hawes

marcin gortat

chris kaman

or we could draft...

willie cauley-stein

joel embiid

that is all that is out there...

next years draft maybe you have jahlil okafor?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I'll pass on the free agents because they are old(er).  I'll take Cauley-Stein out of college.  Obviously Embiid has that crazy "upside".

I'm gonna make a prediction.  Celtics pick Willie Cauley Stein in June.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Cauley-Stein has the potential to be another Fab Melo. No thanks. I think he'll be better than Melo, a decent rebounder and shot blocker on defense who will take a long time, if at all, to develop on offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cauley-Stein has the potential to be another Fab Melo. No thanks. I think he'll be better than Melo, a decent rebounder and shot blocker on defense who will take a long time, if at all, to develop on offense.

[/QUOTE]

i don't want that...with our 2nd 1st round pick we gotta draft the best player avil...not need but best player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Greg Monroe would be awesome to go after in a sign and trade.

If Ainge can't get Love in a trade by this summer he should seriously consider Monroe, and even take back the contract of Josh Smith.

Yes, he'll lose any cap space, but would Love or Aldridge ever really sign here?

Detroit is desperate to be out from under the Smith contract already, Bill Simmons said they shopped him hard at the deadline, and we know he is close buddies with Rondo. They could sign and trade Monroe for say 4 years 52 million and Smith has 3 years 42 million left. That is a hefty chunck of cash coming in at 26 million.

The Celtics could send Detroit Wallace, Olynyk, sign and trade Humphries for 2 years and 20 million and send the Piston's a 2015 pick to make the deal work. Olynyk and a 1st rd pick are not even worth Monroe in my opinion. Paying smith 42m over 3 years instead of Wallace 20 over 2 is an expensive risk though, between that and Monroe being a poor fit alongside Drummond, that is why Detroit does it.

Would Smith accept a role as a 6th man? He'd be perfect in it b/c he can guard and play 3 positions and his bad shots would be less noticable when he's crushing it against lesser talent. He can close the games over Sully.

Sully seems humble enough to not start, at least next year, but in 2016 when going for a contract I doubt he is satisfied coming off the bench. 

I still like the idea of trading Bass and our Nets/Hawks pick to the Jazz for Hayward on draft night, even with him and Avery both being RFA. You can fit them on the same team if you reduce Jeff's minutes and play Hayward a lot at SF.

C - Monroe (34), Sully (10), Favarani (4)

PF - Sully (24), Smith (24)

SF - Green (28), Hayward (14), Smith (6)

SG - Avery (24), Hayward (16), Smart (8)

PG - Rondo (34), Smart (14)

The C's have the pieces to again go after Love at the Feb deadline if they want to and he signs a max extension as part of the move. Sully would be in it for sure. Then it'd probably be Minny choosing between Green and Smart or Hayward and Avery with a 2016 pick thrown in as well. That is a lot to give up for Love. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I dont get the infatuation with Gordon hayward.

personally i think he's crap.

classic example of a great player on a bad team.

if we wanna get good soon he's not the answer at the 2 and will be way overpaid if he's our bench player. some team would drop $$ on him

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Don't worry,  we are going to get Asik. He is according to some here the next big thing. He is a beast and thats why he is not playing in Houston cuz it would be to easy for them to win :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would it be nice to have a 7-footer that averages a double-double? Sure. But the perception that there are a ton of guys like that out there is nonsense. Those are guys teams build around. 

Here are the people that are averaging a double-double in points and boards:

Kevin Love - available and Boston might have the pieces to get a trade done/cap space to sign him. My problem with K-Love is he doesn't play defense. 

Blake Griffin - not available. His growth has given LAC more incentive not to trade him. 

LaMarcus Aldridge - could be available, but all signs point to him re-signing in Portland.

Zach Randolph - could be avaiable, but Boston already has Sullinger, who I like more because he's younger, cheaper, smarter.

David Lee - could be available. Doesn't play defense, and I'm assuming the double-double guy you guys want Boston to build around has to be a decent rim protector. 

Tristan Thompson (12 and 9 per game) - could be available, but I don't think he fits the mold. 

Anthony Davis - not available. 

Tim Duncan - not available.

Greg Monroe - Detriot doesn't want to move him, but he's definitely available. Not a true center at 6'11, but I'm a huge fan.

Drummond - not available.

Howard - not available.

Cousins - Kings want to build around him so I'll go with not available.

Noah - not available. Won't leave the Bulls anyway.

DeAndre Jordan - not available.

Big Al - not available. Bad defender. 

Nikola Pekovic - not available. Really skilled offensively, but terrible defensively. 

Derek Favors - not available. Utah just extended him.

Varejao - too injury prone.

Nikola Vucevic - not available. Orlando wants to build around him. But overpaying for him during free agency might work. 

These guys are hard to find. That's why guys like DeAndre, Tyson Chandler, and Sanders are significantly overpaid. GM's recognize that you need a rim protector that can fill up stat sheets. Boston's best bet is to draft one (good luck) or overpay.

[/QUOTE]

Nice list and research. Are any of those guys 7'?  Most are PFs too. 

Proves it's easier said than done to get a big man that can score and rebound. Could be why Danny took a chance on Fab.  Didn't work out. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Last time I checked Wilt Chamberlain wasn't available. 

Granted, Hibbert causes horrible matchup problems for the Heat. Maybe we can convince Larry Bird to trade Hibbert for Humphries. Feed Ainge on the wing one more time... :) 

But, as Fierce pointed out, the Heat have won multiple championships without a true center. OKC knocking on the door and Perk can't even get on the floor. 

The Indiana model is a good one - they built a great team with some lottery picks but no real top of the draft picks. 

It's really about assembling talent and then dealing it for even better or more complimentary pieces. A center can be part of that but it's pretty clear that a Paul George type (not a point guard or a center, but a big guard or small forward) is the most important piece. I don't think that's really open to debate given the Heat, Pacers, and OKC.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

They also proved you wrong when you said the celtics lost the title to the Lakers more b/c of rebounding issues than injuries.

Your biggest 'proof' was a stat saying no team that averaged under 40 rebounds a game has won an NBA title. Then the Heat went and won one averaging less than the '10 Celtics. C's lost that series more b/c of the injuries.

[/QUOTE]

How could I be proven wrong when there's no way we'll know what would've happened if Perk played in Game 7.

Reality is the Celts were missing Perk for Game 7 but the Celts were winning and the score was tied with 7 minutes remaining in the 4th qtr.

Also, the Heat were averaging 40 rebounds per game in the playoffs.

And did you know that the Thunder only outrebounded the Heat once in the 2012 Finals?

The Thunder only outrebounded the Heat in Game 1 of the 2012 Finals.

That's the only game the Thunder won against Miami, right?

[/QUOTE]

If we'll never know what would have happened if our leading rebounder wasn't injured, I would say it is pretty obvious that injuries were a bigger reason we lost than rebounding.

So you are wrong.

And where did I say I was talking about the 2012 Heat?

Last year the Heat averaged 37.8 rebounds in the playoffs. The Spurs outrebounded them in 4 games to the Heat's 2. Game 7 that was never really in doubt, was a tie.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If we'll never know what would have happened if our leading rebounder wasn't injured, I would say it is pretty obvious that injuries were a bigger reason we lost than rebounding.

So you are wrong.

And where did I say I was talking about the 2012 Heat?

Last year the Heat averaged 37.8 rebounds in the playoffs. The Spurs outrebounded them in 4 games to the Heat's 2. Game 7 that was never really in doubt, was a tie.

[/QUOTE]

You said "I would say", right?

Obviously that's just your opinion.

The 2013 Finals would've been over if Popovich didn't take out Duncan in the last 28 seconds of the 4th qtr.

Spurs up by 5 points, 94-89, and Pop went small, using Diaw at Center.

Lebron missed a 3-pointer but got the ball back because Mike Miller got the offensive rebound.

Lebron didn't miss the second time he shot a 3-pointer.

Lead down to 2, Spurs ball.

Heat foul Kawhi and he only made 1 out of 2.

Spurs led by 3 when Lebron missed another 3-pointer.

But Bosh got the offensive rebound and found Ray Allen open for a 3 in the corner.

See how rebounding changed the outcome of the 2013 Finals?

If Pop didn't go small, in the last 28 seconds of that Game 6, the Spurs would've gotten their 5th championship.

[/QUOTE]

Obviously that is all just your opinion.

Did the Spurs win the 2013 title Fiercy?

Nope

So a team that was outrebounded badly and averaged under 38 for the entire playoffs won the title. Completely destroying your 'proof' that such a team (like the '10 Celtics) could NEVER win a title.

And it is just common sense that when your top rebounder is injured and your 2nd best rebounder s shadow of himself b/c of an injury, and you still have a fighting chance to win game 7... but are crushed on the boards... that injuries was the major reason for the loss.

Duh

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Do NOT use the Heat as an example of why you don't need a 7-footer. They have the best player on the planet by a wide margin, who allows his head coach to throw out a positionless lineup that's somewhat similar to the showtime Lakers could do with Magic. 

The Pacers model, as some have stated, is much more efficient. Rim-protecting center with all-stars on the wings, and a pass-first PG. Celtics already have Rondo, and Green could be a solid second wing behind someone, with Sully playing David West. The Celtics have a good foundation in place, but are that defensive-minded center away from really contending in a weak Eastern Conference. The bench mob can be build. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Thanks Mr. Obvious. Is that all we need? Im sure a lot of teams could use that. Seeing as less than 10 players in the entire nba do that, and even less if you need him to be 7ft (blake griffing, zach randolph, kevin love etc) just to name a few double digit scorers and rebounders who are under 7 ft . 

All we need is Lebron , but I guess  ill settle for durant.

Sections
Shortcuts