Move up and Draft a Big PF or C

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Move up and Draft a Big PF or C

I advocate trading our two #1's and moving up to the 8-12 bracket if possible. If doable there are a few bigs there that could be had.

http://nbadraft.net/players/meyers-leonard

Fluid, athletic 7-footer with developing all-around skills ... Excellent length on a good frame that will be capable of supporting more muscle ... Quick off his feet ... Strong body-control for a big ... Easy alley-oop target ... Explosiveness helps him blow by slower post players in transition ... Good offensive awareness ... Talented passer with good court-vision ... Does a lot of damage in the post at this level ... Willing to wrestle for good position near the block ... Uses his agility well to get around the rim, and is a quality finisher due to his athleticism ... Becoming a better outside shooter, and is dangerous when left alone from 12-18 feet ... Nice touch from the free-throw line; shouldn't be a liability there in the future ... Sells contact well (he's a good flopper) ... Defends with his body more than his hands ... Protects the rim well on defense ... Blocks a lot of shots ... Smart help-defender ... Gets his hands on a lot of rebounds, and is aware enough to tip-out to teammates when he can't corral one himself ... Usually does a good job of finding somebody to box-out whenever a shot goes up ...

There really aren't a lot of weaknesses in his game ... He should look to establish an offensive identity and continue to polish his all-around game ... With his potential, he's sure to get some looks in the lottery ...

http://nbadraft.net/players/arnett-moultrie

High-level athlete combo forward with excellent size and length. Versatile offensive skill set to score inside/outside (16.5 PPG). Could be seen as being big enough to play center in today's NBA. He possesses rare agility at 6’11 in tandem with a hunger for activity and relentless motor. Runs the court like a guard, with a fluid gait and long, easy strides. Nightmare matchup for opponents on the interior due to explosive quickness and elevation. Extraordinarily nimble and quick mover in the paint. He has added strength and bulk (225 to 240) without losing that calling card explosiveness. Uses his athleticism to earn high percentage looks (58%), elevating above defenders. Displays a deft touch and equally adept at finishing with his left hand. Electric spin moves in the post over either shoulder, preferring to attack baseline. Body control and hang time to make the appropriate in-air adjustments and alter release after a bump or if impeded. 83% free throw shooter on over 5 attempts (65% as sophomore). Rebounds at will on both the offensive and defensive backboards, ranking amongst the nation’s leaders with 10.8 per game. Quick leaper on multiple jumps while still retaining 1st jump lift. Utilizes his length and mobility to rebound out his direct vicinity.

Being that he’s not a true post option, he’ll likely see time at both spots on the next level. He’s caught somewhere in between, which can actually be viewed as a strength and serves to illustrate his versatility. Has shown glimpses of range shooting and ball handling aptitude, but more is required for the NBA small forward position. As he exhibited at UTEP, the potential to be a dynamic face up player is very much present. It’s that potential alone, despite his raw attributes that once again has scouts drooling over his package of skills.

Sounds like he may have a little Kevin Durant hiding in there ....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Re: Move up and Draft a Big PF or C

can't go wrong with either one..I like the Moultrie kid...lots of upside.explosive.looks a like longer studermier...Meyers has a litte Waltonnesque in him....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In Response to Re: Move up and Draft a Big PF or C:
    [QUOTE]can't go wrong with either one..I like the Moultrie kid...lots of upside.explosive.looks a like longer studermier...Meyers has a litte Waltonnesque in him....
    Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's what it is ... I was grasping at a smaller red as in Cowens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

I have always liked Moultrie from the start of the season, and it looked liked he would fall in the mid teens, but his stock is soaring. If we can package the picks, I say go for it. If not there are a few bigs we can get in the late first to second.

6-11
    C
    Vanderbilt

6-11
    C
    Gonzaga
    Sr

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

Britney Griner from Baylor would be a perfect fit for both Boston and KG. It begs the question, who would do the better job both rebounding and marking Bynumite?

Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Have you seen Leonard play? Steimsa redux. Nothing wrong with that, but Meyers is a serviceable backup C in the NBA given time and patience. He is certainly no where ready to come into the NBA next year and contribute to a team that is playoff caliber. At 8-12 C's need a player that could be a star, not a back up. I think the guy who slides is Sullinger. Is he 6'9" and with those arms he plays like 6'10" anyways. Will he get in shape? IMO he is a guy that could fall out of the lottery and still be a potential star.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

I am a UNC fan so I am probably a little biased but over these last two years and especially this one Tyler Zeller has looked amazing. He has low post moves already (jump hook) and is a good rebounder. In addition to that he is great at running the floor so he would be awesome to pair with rondo. What do you think? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

A two-for-one would work for me, well, not for me literally, but getting a ready-to-play rook that fills an obvious need seems too perfect. But, Danny mostly trades away Boston's picks so that he can select later, not earlier.I admit I've found it confusing, especially this past year when they had the shooter they needed and ended up with a guy who hasn't seen much action.  Johnson may blossom, but Brooks is bona fide - now!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

In Response to Move up and Draft a Big PF or C:
    [QUOTE]I advocate trading our two #1's and moving up to the 8-12 bracket if possible. If doable there are a few bigs there that could be had. http://nbadraft.net/players/meyers-leonard Fluid, athletic 7-footer with developing all-around skills ... Excellent length on a good frame that will be capable of supporting more muscle ... Quick off his feet ... Strong body-control for a big ... Easy alley-oop target ... Explosiveness helps him blow by slower post players in transition ... Good offensive awareness ... Talented passer with good court-vision ... Does a lot of damage in the post at this level ... Willing to wrestle for good position near the block ... Uses his agility well to get around the rim, and is a quality finisher due to his athleticism ... Becoming a better outside shooter, and is dangerous when left alone from 12-18 feet ... Nice touch from the free-throw line ; shouldn't be a liability there in the future ... Sells contact well (he's a good flopper) ... Defends with his body more than his hands ... Protects the rim well on defense ... Blocks a lot of shots ... Smart help-defender ... Gets his hands on a lot of rebounds , and is aware enough to tip-out to teammates when he can't corral one himself ... Usually does a good job of finding somebody to box-out whenever a shot goes up ... There really aren't a lot of weaknesses in his game ... He should look to establish an offensive identity and continue to polish his all-around game ... With his potential, he's sure to get some looks in the lottery ... http://nbadraft.net/players/arnett-moultrie High-level athlete combo forward with excellent size and length. Versatile offensive skill set to score inside/outside (16.5 PPG). Could be seen as being big enough to play center in today's NBA . He possesses rare agility at 6’11 in tandem with a hunger for activity and relentless motor. Runs the court like a guard , with a fluid gait and long, easy strides. Nightmare matchup for opponents on the interior due to explosive quickness and elevation . Extraordinarily nimble and quick mover in the paint. He has added strength and bulk (225 to 240) without losing that calling card explosiveness . Uses his athleticism to earn high percentage looks (58%), elevating above defenders. Displays a deft touch and equally adept at finishing with his left hand . Electric spin moves in the post over either shoulder, preferring to attack baseline . Body control and hang time to make the appropriate in-air adjustments and alter release after a bump or if impeded. 83% free throw shooter on over 5 attempts (65% as sophomore). Rebounds at will on both the offensive and defensive backboards , ranking amongst the nation’s leaders with 10.8 per game. Quick leaper on multiple jumps while still retaining 1st jump lift . Utilizes his length and mobility to rebound out his direct vicinity. Being that he’s not a true post option, he’ll likely see time at both spots on the next level. He’s caught somewhere in between, which can actually be viewed as a strength and serves to illustrate his versatility. Has shown glimpses of range shooting and ball handling aptitude , but more is required for the NBA small forward position. As he exhibited at UTEP, the potential to be a dynamic face up player is very much present. It’s that potential alone, despite his raw attributes that once again has scouts drooling over his package of skills . Sounds like he may have a little Kevin Durant hiding in there ....
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]
    Does this type of player exist even in the NBA other then Durant? I would like to move up in the draft but it will be hard to do that with our 2 picks. I think we will probably sign a player with a lot of upside potential but considered a project at this point in there career. We will probably get a center via free agency or trade not in the draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I have seen Leonard playing a couple games on TV, and he is an ok player.  He may be a good shot blocker, but there was so many good college shot blockers in past many years still have struggle playing in NBA.  Look at Thabeet.  He was one of the top shot blocker in college basketball, and now he is not even the top 10 best players for any team that he play on.  

Anyway, I would take Ezeli of Vandy or Moultrie of MSU or Hanson of UNC over Leonard or Zeller.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

According to "some" people on here, we cannot move up.............

I agree we should try - but where we are right now, we could get Royce White or Fab Melo....I'd be okay with either of them.  Then give me Lamb or Waiters, re-sign KG.......and get Mayo, and we are "good" again next year, and really good two years from now.  We also need to re-sign Green and Pietrus.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]Have you seen Leonard play? Steimsa redux. Nothing wrong with that, but Meyers is a serviceable backup C in the NBA given time and patience. He is certainly no where ready to come into the NBA next year and contribute to a team that is playoff caliber. At 8-12 C's need a player that could be a star, not a back up. I think the guy who slides is Sullinger. Is he 6'9" and with those arms he plays like 6'10" anyways. Will he get in shape? IMO he is a guy that could fall out of the lottery and still be a potential star.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

That's why I preferenced the question with "in addition to a FA & Steamer."  With a FA big backed by Steamer this gives Meyers time to develop, which I don't see as a long term project .... maybe one year or a little longer but he's got more upside and will take the backup role fairly quick with his athleticism.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

If we take the kid from Vandy, be prepared for a ton of Seinfeld references..........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]If we take the kid from Vandy, be prepared for a ton of Seinfeld references..........
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

that or Gunsmoke ...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Move up and Draft a Big PF or C : that or Gunsmoke ...

Doubt many people would get that reference.............I do, but some won't!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]According to "some" people on here, we cannot move up............. I agree we should try - but where we are right now, we could get Royce White or Fab Melo....I'd be okay with either of them.  Then give me Lamb or Waiters, re-sign KG.......and get Mayo, and we are "good" again next year, and really good two years from now.  We also need to re-sign Green and Pietrus.

Indeed ... that works if we don't move up ... I'm thinking this is the year Danny finally moves up to get more of an NBA ready type player and we already have JJJ, Moore, Bradley & Steamer. Can't have too much youth so either Moore and/or JJJ get moved or we convert our picks to a veteran player or a higher #1 and #2 pick (two total picks max).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]I have seen Leonard playing a couple games on TV, and he is an ok player.  He may be a good shot blocker, but there was so many good college shot blockers in past many years still have struggle playing in NBA.  Look at Thabeet.  He was one of the top shot blocker in college basketball, and now he is not even the top 10 best players for any team that he play on.   Anyway, I would take Ezeli of Vandy or Moultrie of MSU or Hanson of UNC over Leonard or Zeller.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Festus looks a little bit like Hakeem ... and Sully like Wes Unsell!

Moultrie is intriguing but I see that he's got tendinitis in both knees already ... Red Flag (???)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Move up and Draft a Big PF or C : Indeed ... that works if we don't move up ... I'm thinking this is the year Danny finally moves up to get more of an NBA ready type player and we already have JJJ, Moore, Bradley & Steamer. Can't have too much youth so either Moore and/or JJJ get moved or we convert our picks to a veteran player or a higher #1 and #2 pick (two total picks max).

My two choices for a team next year (10 deep) are:

Rondo/Bradley
    Mayo/Waiters
    PP/Green
    KG/Bass
    Kaman/Melo

OR:
    Rondo/Bradley
    Pietrus/Waiters
    PP/Green
    Humphries/White
    KG/Steamer

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Snoopsnizzle. Show Snoopsnizzle's posts

[QUOTE]Britney Griner from Baylor would be a perfect fit for both Boston and KG. It begs the question, who would do the better job both rebounding and marking Bynumite?
    Posted by Elven 32[/QUOTE]

Funny that you say this as I compared Britney Griner to Bill Russell in a thread that got much attention a couple of weeks ago. That guyfromtx was really intrigued and actually made a couple of good points. Go figure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

You guys should forget about Kamen.  The guy has a couple of half-injured seasons left and that's it.  He's too heavy to stay healthy, and he's not healthy enough to play his way into shape.

If he could follow the example of tennis player mardy fish and really go on a diet he could do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.  I see the guy getting one more good contract then hitting the bar with troy murphy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Griner is probably honored to be compared to Russell.  She will have a great career in the WNBA.........

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

[QUOTE]According to "some" people on here, we cannot move up............. I agree we should try - but where we are right now, we could get Royce White or Fab Melo....I'd be okay with either of them.  Then give me Lamb or Waiters, re-sign KG.......and get Mayo, and we are "good" again next year, and really good two years from now.  We also need to re-sign Green and Pietrus.

Some say this Royce kid is a walking double/ double....does a  lot of things like PP...We could use one of those...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I

n Response to Re: Move up and Draft a Big PF or C:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Move up and Draft a Big PF or C : Doubt many people would get that reference.............I do, but some won't!

lol...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Move up and Draft a Big PF or C : Some say this Royce kid is a walking double/ double....does a  lot of things like PP...We could use one of those...
    Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]

I like him - rebounding is all in the attitude anyway.  Love has it, and maybe this kid does, too!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I really hope they use all 4 picks. There's enough talent in this draft that all 4 could very well be solid NBA players. I don't think the two #1's would be enough to get into that top tier of players, and the second tier really looks like it will go almost into the second round. So why grab one second tier guy when you can have 2? Gotta go with size on the first pick, and they're pretty much going to take what falls there. I doubt either Zeller will be there, but if The younger does decide to come out, Leonard might be. He's raw, but I like his potential. Definite NBA body and skill set. Moultrie, if Leonard isn't there is another good candidate, although I think he's more of a PF. If not, maybe take a flyer on Melo.
    After that pick is out of the way, I think you just have to get Rondo some athletes to run with. One guy I like is Jeff Taylor out of Vandy. Very athletic with an improving jumper and plays above the rim. But he's also very long and can defend 3 spots which Doc and Danny would love. I can imagine him Bradley and Rondo giving teams fits. Other guys that might fit that mold are CJ Leslie from NCST and Moe Harkless from St Johns.

In the 2nd round they strictly go best player available. I don't think Lamb from Kentucky will still be around, but he'd be a very good value. This is typically where you see guys who made noise in the tourney get taken, so maybe someone from a smaller school like Iona or St Mary's.