Mr. Brick Shot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Mr. Brick Shot

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot:
    In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : You can argue that he's not a good fit for the current aging C's but you'd be foolish to give him up on the brink of an infusion of young players that will be able to run with him ... Very short sighted.
    Posted by Mployee8

Short sighted is trying to build a team around a fundamentally incomplete PG.

Danny knows better.

Pud

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

Since they lost the finals in 2010 it was pretty clear that Rondo was a huge liability and that we wouldn't wint another championship with him in the team. Kobe never took him seriously and that gave him the chance to double mark Ray or Pierce. 

What a shame! It wasn't that much that we lost Perk back in the day as the fact that Rondo was exposed for what he is: a one trick pony. He really needs to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : DA appreciates Rondo. He picked him up 6 years ago and groomed him into a PG with market value. He's also been trying to trade him to improve the team. DA certainly qualifies as someone who understands the game. Wouldn't you agree? Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

He has?

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7430691/danny-ainge-insists-boston-celtics-trying-trade-rajon-rondo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : Appreciating Rondo? Sure! Rondo is fun to watch. He's a basketball wizard. The problem is he's not fundamentally sound.  PGs can't be bad shooters and bad at the FT line at the same time. Rondo's having a hard time scoring in the 4th qtr. when the game slows down. That's where Rondo's lack of outside shooting and poor FT shooting hurts the Celtics.
    Posted by Fiercest34

I agree with most of that. My gripe about the Rondo critics is the mentality that since he's not a good shooter, he has nothing to offer to this team. Which is nonsense -- for instance, the game's going into the fourth quarter right now, and he has 13 assists and five rebounds.

When you listen to other players and coaches around the league, they talk about how good he is. Ditto commentators, often former players and/or coaches.

Again, this in no way is to suggest his free throw shooting isn't inexcusable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

You have got to have a point guard who can shoot when he is left wide open. That is it plain and simple.  

If we had another point guard who could play the last six minutes of every tight game in the fourth quarter it would be different.  Bradley is not the answer. Dooling whatever happened to this guy?  We let Delonte go and now we have a more brittle injured back-up.  I liked Delonte much more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Of course he wasn't trying to shop Rondo. Rondo knows that DA loves him and that all the fans love Rondo in Boston.

DA was just listening to offers that he didn't solicit.

Pure GM speak.. after a deal doesn't materialize.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stooltips. Show stooltips's posts

Coach Rivers had the following to say in the Globe a few days ago:

"I think he’ll be close,’’ Rivers said. "He’s getting closer every day.’’ The Celtics(11-10) have gone 6-2 without Rondo. But their late-game offense has suffered without him, and they struggled in the final quarter of three consecutive contests before last night. "You can still win games [without Rondo],’’ Rivers said. "We knew that, anyway. Also, we are finding out it is very difficult down the stretch without Rajon in close games. Because he and Paul [Pierce] and Ray [Allen] and Kevin [Garnett] have been together, you have the luxury of calling things you may not have put in this year they can run because they’ve been together. "Without him, you’re pretty basic offensively, and I think you’re very easy to guard down the stretch and that’s hurt us.’’

This doesn't appear to be in keeping with what you're saying, concord27. What do you make of the discrepancy?

You have got to have a point guard who can shoot when he is left wide open. That is it plain and simple.   If we had another point guard who could play the last six minutes of every tight game in the fourth quarter it would be different. Bradley is not the answer. Dooling whatever happened to this guy?  We let Delonte go and now we have a more brittle injured back-up.  I liked Delonte much more.
    Posted by concord27

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

You have got to have a point guard who can shoot when he is left wide open. That is it plain and simple.   If we had another point guard who could play the last six minutes of every tight game in the fourth quarter it would be different.  Bradley is not the answer. Dooling whatever happened to this guy?  We let Delonte go and now we have a more brittle injured back-up.  I liked Delonte much more.
    Posted by concord27

Look, you guys are focusing too much on Rondo's one weakness.  If Rondo could make that shot more consistently, he will be the best point guard in NBA and others may not be that close.  So what are we talking about?  Trade Rondo's strength for another point guard that can shoot but is just not that good in setting up teammates?

Bottom line is, all around average players are a dime a dozen.  Players that are special in one dimension are still special.  Now if they could become special in more than one dimension, they will be franchise players.  Unfortunately, Rondo has not been able to make that transition.  Given choices, I prefer to:

1)  If possible, trade him for a quality big now.  This is to facilitate a championship run.
    2)  Wait and hope for him to develop more just like I am hoping that Bradley may become a quality player.  I don't see any other option.

Lets sit back and hope that Kaman gets bought out and opts for Boston.  That seems to be the best case scenario to me right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : Of course he wasn't trying to shop Rondo. Rondo knows that DA loves him and that all the fans love Rondo in Boston. DA was just listening to offers that he didn't solicit. Pure GM speak.. after a deal doesn't materialize. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Didn't realize you were in on the discussions.
    Trivia question: What was Barney's middle name?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Coach Rivers had the following to say in the Globe a few days ago: "I think he’ll be close,’’ Rivers said. "He’s getting closer every day.’’ The Celtics (11-10) have gone 6-2 without Rondo. But their late-game offense has suffered without him, and they struggled in the final quarter of three consecutive contests before last night. "You can still win games [without Rondo],’’ Rivers said. "We knew that, anyway. Also, we are finding out it is very difficult down the stretch without Rajon in close games. Because he and Paul [Pierce] and Ray [Allen] and Kevin [Garnett] have been together, you have the luxury of calling things you may not have put in this year they can run because they’ve been together. "Without him, you’re pretty basic offensively, and I think you’re very easy to guard down the stretch and that’s hurt us.’’ This doesn't appear to be in keeping with what you're saying, concord27. What do you make of the discrepancy? In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot :
    Posted by stooltips

Do you expect Doc to throw Rondo under the bus? Of course he'll say they need him late in tight games. Like all things Rondo, there are two sides: on the one hand, it is true that with Rondo in the passing will be better, creating more opportunities for the big3 and that's probably what Doc refers to. And its true. But nobody can deny that Rondo will also hurt you late in games and will put more pressure on the big3 because he won't make shots and FTs. But to expect Doc to publicly say that is nuts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : Please don't compare Kidd and Rondo. When Kidd entered the NBA he was not a good shooter but he was not afraid to shoot them. Kidd attempted 257 3-pointers when he was a rookie. Rondo never attempted more than 80 3-pointers in one season in his career. And Jason Kidd is a career 78.4% FT shooter while Rondo is just a 62% career FT shooter. What's worse is Rondo has shot worse the last 2 years, going below 60% last year and this year.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Attempting shots and not making vs not attempting enought shots, same thing cuz both were'nt making them. also Kidd is a career 78% ft shooter while Rondo is at 62%, well how long has Kidd been in the league?? he's almost 40 now, how old is Rondo? not trying to compare Kidd's career accomplishments to Rondo's because there's not een an argument there but just saying u posting a negative thread constanly about Rondo will not help him become a better ft shooter

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : SON, DID YOU EVER PLAY BASKETBALL, OTHER THAN IN THE FAMILY DRIVEWAY ????????
    Posted by Bill-806

Nope.  Only in the family driveway, between snowbanks, during halftime of April playoff games back in the '60s.  :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : Didn't realize you were in on the discussions. Trivia question: What was Barney's middle name?
    Posted by LloydDobler

Milton... or Oliver maybe.

The entire sports world was privy to the discussions regarding shopping Rondo... sometimes during but typically after they fell thru.

Trade efforts are well documented, particularly the efforts to trade Rondo and Green and #1 pic(s) and pieces to NO.... for a rental CP3.

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : Milton... or Oliver maybe. The entire sports world was privy to the discussions regarding shopping Rondo... sometimes during but typically after they fell thru. Trade efforts are well documented, particularly the efforts to trade Rondo and Green and #1 pic(s) and pieces to NO.... for a rental CP3. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Wow, you're good!! Both names were mentioned as his middle name. Yet he was also referred to as "Bernard P. Fife." Go figure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stooltips. Show stooltips's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : Do you expect Doc to throw Rondo under the bus? Of course he'll say they need him late in tight games. Like all things Rondo, there are two sides: on the one hand, it is true that with Rondo in the passing will be better, creating more opportunities for the big3 and that's probably what Doc refers to. And its true. But nobody can deny that Rondo will also hurt you late in games and will put more pressure on the big3 because he won't make shots and FTs. But to expect Doc to publicly say that is nuts.
    Posted by basketbert

What bus would that be? The one driven by the more objective fans at BDC? Please. Here's Paul Pierce on WEEI yesterday: 

"Rondo really takes us to another level when you add him to the mix," Pierce said. "I said this to somebody earlier, ‘We are a playoff team without Rondo, but with Rondo we become a contender."'

What is this? More not throwing Rajon inder the bus? Here's the point I'm making: Rivers and Pierce don't appear to be mollycoddling Rajon or covering for him. Their praise strikes me as light years more sincere than the continuous, trendy bashing that goes on here at BDC. Just today Boston used 28 assists to score 36 buckets. That is some serious ball movement and the primary facilitator is Rajon Rondo. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

Fierce, what is your problem?  You mention in every thread about his free throws.  How many time must I mention that those missed free throws didnt cost us the Indiaa game.  The two missed free throws the other night didn't cost us.  Pierce missed one in the 4th as well.  Why start another thread?  If you think flooding BDC is going to get the Celtics front office attention then your suffering from dellusions of grandeur.  Don't hold your breath hoping DA is searching the web to get the advice of arm chair fan GMs.  I think DA has forgotten more than you will know about the game.  In Danny I trust over internet posters who rants over and over about the same thing.  We get it!!! If it bothers you so much route for the Bobcats, Wizards, Kings, or Nets!!!!  
    Posted by jdm894g

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : You can argue that he's not a good fit for the current aging C's but you'd be foolish to give him up on the brink of an infusion of young players that will be able to run with him ... Very short sighted.
    Posted by Mployee8

+1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : What bus would that be? The one driven by the more objective fans at BDC? Please. Here's Paul Pierce on WEEI yesterday:  "Rondo really takes us to another level when you add him to the mix," Pierce said. "I said this to somebody earlier, ‘We are a playoff team without Rondo, but with Rondo we become a contender."' What is this? More not throwing Rajon inder the bus? Here's the point I'm making: Rivers and Pierce don't appear to be mollycoddling Rajon or covering for him. Their praise strikes me as light years more sincere than the continuous, trendy bashing that goes on here at BDC. Just today Boston used 28 assists to score 36 buckets. That is some serious ball movement and the primary facilitator is Rajon Rondo. 
    Posted by stooltips

Yup.  The pros vs the trolls.  That's all it is.  If they had anything interesting to say, they wouldn't say the same thing every, single, day.

These are the people who think speaking English LOUDER in a foreign country will make a difference, and never stop to consider their own cognitive shortcomings as part of the problem.

Sadly, our "passionate" fans here in Boston are some pretty obnoxious human beings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stooltips. Show stooltips's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : Yup.  The pros vs the trolls.  That's all it is.  If they had anything interesting to say, they wouldn't say the same thing every, single, day. These are the people who think speaking English LOUDER in a foreign country will make a difference, and never stop to consider their own cognitive shortcomings as part of the problem. Sadly, our "passionate" fans here in Boston are some pretty obnoxious human beings.
    Posted by JustWords

+1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from c.wright. Show c.wright's posts

I'm  beginning to turn my volume up some when the C's play. Hope
    I'm noe speaking toooooo soon.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot : Wow, you're good!! Both names were mentioned as his middle name. Yet he was also referred to as "Bernard P. Fife." Go figure.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Wikipedia!

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Coach Rivers had the following to say in the Globe a few days ago: "I think he’ll be close,’’ Rivers said. "He’s getting closer every day.’’ The Celtics (11-10) have gone 6-2 without Rondo. But their late-game offense has suffered without him, and they struggled in the final quarter of three consecutive contests before last night. "You can still win games [without Rondo],’’ Rivers said. "We knew that, anyway. Also, we are finding out it is very difficult down the stretch without Rajon in close games. Because he and Paul [Pierce] and Ray [Allen] and Kevin [Garnett] have been together, you have the luxury of calling things you may not have put in this year they can run because they’ve been together. "Without him, you’re pretty basic offensively, and I think you’re very easy to guard down the stretch and that’s hurt us.’’ This doesn't appear to be in keeping with what you're saying, concord27. What do you make of the discrepancy? In Response to Re: Mr. Brick Shot :
    Posted by stooltips

What I make of it is that Doc is still way too tied to Rondo and the Big Three. We are seeing in the last ten games that the subs can bring more energy and it has resulted in wins.  Rondo as a key ingredient at the end of games has not computed since last Feb.  Looks at the facts in the wins and losses. Then look at Rondo's scoring in the fourth quarters.  Look at his lack of free throws and his overall shooting of free throws, below 60%.  It is a huge problem that only the pre 2011 Rondo can make go away.  Play so well as a disrupter and game changer that your shooting does not matter so much. Clearly he has not played like that for a year now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Stooltips,
    Just noticed Basketbert gave you almost the same response. I think that is what it is.

Sections
Shortcuts