Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts?

This may not happen in that order.  And Indy may not want to let this guy go just as he showed a spark of something.  But I think in the right lineup, McRoberts could bring something as a backup 4 to this team.  He hustles, is good at ball movement, good FG%, decent rebounder.  He's a Jeff Foster plus some skills, minus a little banging, a Lohaus type plus more potential and skills (I think).

But maybe it's worth seeing if we can entice them with some cap trash or whatever we can scrape up.  It would seem that Hansbrough is their man at the 4 which doesn't leave much room for McRoberts.

If we lose Davis and can get a bulky 5 that can soak up the considerable work that Davis did at the 5 spot, then this sort of player, rangey, good passer, etc. could do a lot to help mitigate the STALE-NESS of our offense that seems to set in all too often.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts?

I like murphy better - not a popular stance, I know!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So if we use the MLE on say Kwame Brown, and know that we will get 48 minutes of bulky, rim protecting muscle out of him and JON at Center (with like a combined 16 points, 12 rebounds and 4 blocks) then we sign McRoberts for what? The veteran minimum?

If so sure.

KG needs to play on 22-26 mins a game reg season. Between Green, McRoberts and Johnson I'm sure they can come up with the other 22-26 and we'd be better than giving it all to Baby.

But we likely can't afford McRoberts AND the type of C who plays half the game and gives you Baby's 11-5 (or the 7-7 I'd rather have).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

rama- it was not really a fully formed thought with exact cap-ifications, so i'm not sure if it would work- just a thought.  and i hadn't heard anyone mention the possibility before.  if i was danny, i'd think about it more than a second.  hansbrough and mcroberts is a clog at the 4 for indy.

and, i would not pay MLE money for kwame, he's not worth it.

this largely assumes that we trade the dead body of jerlame o'neal to someone for cap space too.  i am dizzy from the number of two and three year contracts danny handed out to defunct big men but if jerlame's booked for one more year only then he's probably a cap asset.

as for mcroberts not being able to come up with the other 22-6 mins, he averaged that for indy last season and put up decent numbers on decent efficiency.

all of this entails that we actually go out and get a big man coach, something that was phased out when we dumped clifford ray and his foot that neede medical attention in a swamp.  and everything big on this team has suffered and/or not progressed since then.

this is a league where you have under-talented bigs by and large and/or under-developed bigs that need a lot of work.  perkins, davis, kwame, glen davis- they all need a big man coach in order to get the most of out of them.

and this team is going to have to skimp and paste together the back up 4 and the entire 5 this next year, a big man coach would be a good idea.  or am i just talking crazy again

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

you know, i would keep murphy over mcroberts too.  but seing how doc bungled murph's minutes and rounded them down to zero for the playoffs, even as davis struggled, what future does the guy have with the team?

i know murph may not be what he used to- but he really did not decisively prove that last year.  he was BAD when we first got him and then swung out of it best i could tell and believe me i was watching closely and hoping he'd do that and have a role.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts?:
    rama- it was not really a fully formed thought with exact cap-ifications, so i'm not sure if it would work- just a thought.  and i hadn't heard anyone mention the possibility before.  if i was danny, i'd think about it more than a second.  hansbrough and mcroberts is a clog at the 4 for indy. and, i would not pay MLE money for kwame, he's not worth it. this largely assumes that we trade the dead body of jerlame o'neal to someone for cap space too.  i am dizzy from the number of two and three year contracts danny handed out to defunct big men but if jerlame's booked for one more year only then he's probably a cap asset. as for mcroberts not being able to come up with the other 22-6 mins, he averaged that for indy last season and put up decent numbers on decent efficiency. all of this entails that we actually go out and get a big man coach, something that was phased out when we dumped clifford ray and his foot that neede medical attention in a swamp.  and everything big on this team has suffered and/or not progressed since then. this is a league where you have under-talented bigs by and large and/or under-developed bigs that need a lot of work.  perkins, davis, kwame, glen davis- they all need a big man coach in order to get the most of out of them. and this team is going to have to skimp and paste together the back up 4 and the entire 5 this next year, a big man coach would be a good idea.  or am i just talking crazy again
    Posted by aciemvp

If we can sign and trade Baby for a Center than insurance at PF in the likes of a McRoberrts type player is a good idea.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts?:
    Now whose all over the place ... LOL McRoberts Jordan Varejo Kaman Brown and acie's right ... Brown isn't worth MLE. Maybe BAE but no way $6M.
    Posted by Mployee8

who is?  i have tried to apply myself to the fringe ideas, under the likely assumptiont that we won't have squat to spend on people, hence mcroberts to replace davis under certain other roster conditions.

i am of the opinion that deandre is a pipe dream but he's running mates with blake and the clips really like him, varejo is worthless, kaman is a stiff who is one more injury away from being essentially useless and kwame every day is worse than perkins on his very worst day.

i only tried to bring the mcroberts idea to the table.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts? : Sorry acie ... I was following up rame's post ... it was intended for him. I actually agree with nearly all you said especially that Brown should be doable for less (BAE?) than the MLE. I like McRoberts too but think Indy intends to keep him behind Hansborough though he is free to sign elsewhere but unless outrageous they should match. Good to see you've finally come to grips with the idea of trading Davis for a McRoberts type though ... Applause!!!
    Posted by Mployee8

How am I all over the place?

We need a big man... I listed 4-5 of them and realistically stated that we can get just ONE.

You listed one of the better free agents at every postion when we probably only have the option of getting ONE of them. So why waste your time on anything but a big?

You have no idea what he MLE will be or if it exists at all after the new CBA is decided, but since it was 5.6 this year it sure as heck won't be close to 6 next year, hahaha. I never said the full MLE on Brown, but he'll cost 3-4 million per year easily.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

In Response to Re: Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts? : How am I all over the place? We need a big man... I listed 4-5 of them and realistically stated that we can get just ONE. You listed one of the better free agents at every postion when we probably only have the option of getting ONE of them. So why waste your time on anything but a big? You have no idea what he MLE will be or if it exists at all after the new CBA is decided, but since it was 5.6 this year it sure as heck won't be close to 6 next year, hahaha. I never said the full MLE on Brown, but he'll cost 3-4 million per year easily.
    Posted by rameakap

You seemed surprised. Last season the disgruntled mployee had the likes of Josh Childress and Rudy Fernandez going to the Celtics. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts? : Sorry acie ... I was following up rame's post ... it was intended for him. I actually agree with nearly all you said especially that Brown should be doable for less (BAE?) than the MLE. I like McRoberts too but think Indy intends to keep him behind Hansborough though he is free to sign elsewhere but unless outrageous they should match. Good to see you've finally come to grips with the idea of trading Davis for a McRoberts type though ... Applause!!!
    Posted by Mployee8

whelp, you're applauding doc the crock rivers driving davis out of town. 

i would still like to see us keep davis

however, i would not give up davis for mcroberts w/o getting some considerable extra assets in return, it's not a fair trade, davis' limitations and all.  davis, like him or not, has been in the brightest lights and delivered.

mcroberts has played on a middling to horrible team for 3 years and just since the coaching change has done anything

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

I've done my best to bring it to everyone's attention what kind of member you and your clones are and plenty have taken notice .... Winning!!!!
    Posted by Mployee8

You waited for Fierce to go away then you started posting again. lol

It does seem you're winning as you belong in the top 3 of someone's list. Check it out.Laughing

"I am here to talk Celtics and mostly the ways to REALISTICALLY improve the team. Too many posters here, like Acie, employee and worst of all DaCeltics, are just not well versed in value and reality and throw around a dozen names or simply unrealstic ideas like nobody's business."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kycleptic. Show kycleptic's posts

In Response to Re: Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts? : Nah, I think posters on this board left because of posts like these: GET UP .... GET UP ... I'M NOT DONE WITH YOU, YOU FRAUD, LIAR, PHONY, WEASEL, FAKER .... GET UP!!!!
    Posted by Fiercest34

Not even Lindsay Lohan could rant like that. Just saying. lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

how about Dave Roberts from the 80's Celtic team..is he available?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

No, I'm not happy with Doc at all after overplaying his hand with the core and refusing to utilize the bench he was given or playing the newbies more during the regular season. We can agree that Doc has to reinvent himself if the C's are to remain successful through this transitionary period. As for Davis ... I'm not sure that Doc is responsible for his short comings though he may have used the wrong motivational strategies, something Red was a master at. I hope that I'm wrong about Davis for his sake but I think he found his ceiling and to remain successful he'll need to play most of his minutes in the 4 spot which demands that he gets serious about physical conditioning. I think he can do that as he puts his mind to achieving his personal goals and matures with time. I just don't know that the C's/Doc want to be the conduit for the reclamation project.
    Posted by Mployee8

you know what, IF he has hit his ceiling, which i don't think he has, then 14 and 7 per 36 minutes  played in this league is superb for a second round pick!!! 

i mean holly crap!  some of you guys talk like we're expecting top 10 draft pick performance out of davis or he's a bust.  he's outperformed many in the draft that came before him.  he was a great role player for this team last year before he got hurt!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

how about Dave Roberts from the 80's Celtic team..is he available?
    Posted by sday4x4

you mean fred roberts?  he was second most horrible all time celt to watch only bested by the even more incredibly awkward movements of eric fernsten when he managed to get on the floor for a few minutes and muck it up back in the early 80s.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

In Response to Re: Musings: IF we got a banger 5 AND lose Davis, try to get McRoberts? : you know what, IF he has hit his ceiling, which i don't think he has, then 14 and 7 per 36 minutes  played in this league is superb for a second round pick!!!  i mean holly crap!  some of you guys talk like we're expecting top 10 draft pick performance out of davis or he's a bust.  he's outperformed many in the draft that came before him.  he was a great role player for this team last year before he got hurt!
    Posted by aciemvp

You're too hard on the mployee. Don't forget he gave you an "applause" not so long ago. lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

I like Dan Gadzurac better than any big man on the original list

He could be had for $3M , 2yr or 3yr deal.

BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DREAM:

The best center in the NBA for the Boston Celtics (other than Dwight Howard or Andrew Bogut) is Martin Gortat , when I say he's the best, I mean the best realistic fit financially , and something that could happen in reality.

I just hope the Celtics are not counting on 20+ minutes a game from Jermaine O'Neal

Sections
Shortcuts