Must Read on KO

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Must Read on KO

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/07/20/all-his-head-kelly-olynyk-rise-promising-celtics-rookie/CWvjmvzOqgtY3xLBZDZiII/story.html

Well written by Baxter Holmes. Exited to see some action!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

Re: Must Read on KO

In response to R9R's comment:

R9R some of us have no access to boston globe can you paste the entire article please. Thanks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to bangkoker's comment:

R9R some of us have no access to boston globe can you paste the entire article please. Thanks!

+1!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Can someone copy & paste please...  I would love to read also,  but refuse to pay The Boston Globe for access.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

No, no, don't leave yet!  Much is left to come.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Ok ... weird.... I don't have that subscription either, somehow I read it for free.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Essentially it pieced together a lot of good information about KO that we've seen into a narrative.

The one thing I remember is an exercise with his coach at Gonzaga during his red-shirt year where the coach would label tennis balls with different actions (step back jumper, spot up, left hook, right hook) and would throw them one by one at Kelly who would use that to buid muscle memory. Essentially a big limiting factor for KO has been taming the celebral, all those thoughts running through his head, and to play without thinking about the game in the moment.

Another cool fact was regarding him and his father. Kelly was raised as a point guard, but expecially a pass-only point guard. Under his father's philosophy a point guards main priority is to make those around him better by using the pass. So before he had a growth spurt from 6'3 to 6'10 and then later to 7'0, he was essentially forming skills to be a pass first point guard.

A final piece was Kelly really wanted to define his own role, which in his mind was to be a knock-down three point shooter. It took going through the red-shirt year to understand that he has to do what makes the team better and buy into the team's role for him.

Sections
Shortcuts