My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!!

I've been writing something on this forum for well over a year now.  I thought I heard it or read it someplace, but I had no research or link to support my claim.  My claim - Home Court Advantage is the NBA is the biggest weapon in pro sports.  I made the claim that I had heard 70% of the time, the Home Team wins (in the playoffs anyway), and decided to conduct an experiment based upon last year.  Here is what I found:

In the Regular Season last year (2009-2010) I took the 16 teams that made the playoffs.  They had a combined record of 479 and 180, which is 72.6% wins for the Home Team.

In the Playoffs, the numbers were slightly off - 53 wins for the Home Team, 29 for the visitors - or 64.6%.

Totals?  532 wins 209 losses for the Home Team, or 71.7%-  WOW!!

I think the numbers would be higher if the Celtics didn't win so many on the road in the playoffs.

That is one year, I know, but I think it is a very telling stat.  And that is why I am all in favor of pushing to get HCA in this years' playoffs!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Re: My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!!

Its funny how the numbers tend to support the impressions that folks have about the NBA today. Shape up NBA. Your fans aren't stupid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

Re: My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!!

In Response to My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!!:
    [QUOTE]I've been writing something on this forum for well over a year now.  I thought I heard it or read it someplace, but I had no research or link to support my claim.  My claim - Home Court Advantage is the NBA is the biggest weapon in pro sports.  I made the claim that I had heard 70% of the time, the Home Team wins (in the playoffs anyway), and decided to conduct an experiment based upon last year.  Here is what I found: In the Regular Season last year (2009-2010) I took the 16 teams that made the playoffs.  They had a combined record of 479 and 180, which is 72.6% wins for the Home Team. In the Playoffs, the numbers were slightly off - 53 wins for the Home Team, 29 for the visitors - or 64.6%. Totals?  532 wins 209 losses for the Home Team, or 71.7%-  WOW!! I think the numbers would be higher if the Celtics didn't win so many on the road in the playoffs. That is one year, I know, but I think it is a very telling stat.  And that is why I am all in favor of pushing to get HCA in this years' playoffs!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

That all real nice and good. But if you get smoked on the glass against the Lakers, chances are, you are going to lose, no matter where the game is played.

Game 1 Rebounds
    Lakers..42 Celtics..31
    Lakers win 102-89

Game 2 Rebounds
    Lakers..39 Celtics..44
    Celtics win 103-94

Game 3 Rebounds
    Lakers..43 Celtics..35
    Lakers win 91-84

Game 4 Rebounds
    Lakers..34 Celtics..41
    Celtics win 96-89

Game 5 Rebounds
    Lakers..34 Celtics..35
    Celtics win 92-86

Game 6 Rebounds
    Lakers..52 Celtics..39
    Lakers win 89-67

Game 7 Rebounds
    Lakers..53 Celtics..40
    Lakers win 83-79

The team that rebounded better won every single time in this series, home or away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

In Response to Re: My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!!:
    [QUOTE]For some other stats on the awful 2-3-2 format check out: http://www.nba.com/finals2002/Breaking_Down_the_232_Format-46051-277.html Basically says two things: Home team NEVER wins all three at home Visitors NEVER win last two on road.

2 2 1 1 1 is much preferred. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

In Response to Re: My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!!:
    [QUOTE]For some other stats on the awful 2-3-2 format check out: http://www.nba.com/finals2002/Breaking_Down_the_232_Format-46051-277.html Basically says two things: Home team NEVER wins all three at home Visitors NEVER win last two on road.

The Pistons won all three games at home against the Lakers in 2004.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!! : That all real nice and good. But if you get smoked on the glass against the Lakers, chances are, you are going to lose, no matter where the game is played. Game 1 Rebounds Lakers..42 Celtics..31 Lakers win 102-89 Game 2 Rebounds Lakers..39 Celtics..44 Celtics win 103-94 Game 3 Rebounds Lakers..43 Celtics..35 Lakers win 91-84 Game 4 Rebounds Lakers..34 Celtics..41 Celtics win 96-89 Game 5 Rebounds Lakers..34 Celtics..35 Celtics win 92-86 Game 6 Rebounds Lakers..52 Celtics..39 Lakers win 89-67 Game 7 Rebounds Lakers..53 Celtics..40 Lakers win 83-79 The team that rebounded better won every single time in this series, home or away.
    Posted by Give-in-to-it[/QUOTE]

Can't agree more with the rebounding comment. Do you know how many of the rebounds for each team were offensive?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!! : The Pistons won all three games at home against the Lakers in 2004.
    Posted by victorlee1234[/QUOTE]
    and the heat won all 3 home games in the 06 finals

i like the format better

keep it as is

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!! : Can't agree more with the rebounding comment. Do you know how many of the rebounds for each team were offensive?
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Game 1 Rebounds
    Lakers..42 Celtics..31
    OR Lakers..12 Celtics..8
    Lakers win 102-89

Game 2 Rebounds
    Lakers..39 Celtics..44
    OR Lakers..10 Celtics..13
    Celtics win 103-94

Game 3 Rebounds
    Lakers..43 Celtics..35
    OR Lakers..11 Celtics..8
    Lakers win 91-84

Game 4 Rebounds
    Lakers..34 Celtics..41
    OR Lakers..8 Celtics..16
    Celtics win 96-89

Game 5 Rebounds
    Lakers..34 Celtics..35
    OR Lakers..16 Celtics..7
    Celtics win 92-86

Game 6 Rebounds
    Lakers..52 Celtics..39
    OR Lakers..12 Celtics..11
    Lakers win 89-67

Game 7 Rebounds
    Lakers..53 Celtics..40
    OR Lakers..23 Celtics..8
    Lakers win 83-79

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!! : The Pistons won all three games at home against the Lakers in 2004.
    Posted by victorlee1234[/QUOTE]

You are correct.  For some reason, the stats stop at 2001.  My bad!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: My point is, was, and always shall be...............some very telling stats!! : 2 2 1 1 1 is much preferred. 
    Posted by Give-in-to-it[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Absolutly agree.....100%.....I may be wrong but didn't this format appear in the mid 80's?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I blame Rondo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

I'd love to see the C's get homecourt but not at the expense of being healthy.

This is a team with a lot of age to protect.  Let's get to the playoffs with an intact roster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutly agree.....100%.....I may be wrong but didn't this format appear in the mid 80's?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

The format did start in the mid 80's.  Our Fearless Leader thought that with the Celtics and Lakers playing 3 years in a row, it would be better for travel purposes.  And now, the Networks like it so they don't have to send their reporters across the country (or wherever) so many times.  In other words, it saves everyone $$, so it is here to stay, unfortunately!

Sections
Shortcuts