Name recognition v. Game day depth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nutter44. Show nutter44's posts

Name recognition v. Game day depth

If you had to choose one over the other, which way do you go? There is no question you need star power in this league, especially to get respect from officials. So if you don't have a name guy, then that's one thing. If you are the C's and you have KG and Paul then you would be better served with depth, youth and athleticism. That's what I love about what we did. "Certain people" (one who seems to have been banned--LOL) seem focused on the NAMES their team has collected. Trouble is that Nash isn't Steve Nash anymore, Jameson is not Jameson and Howard...who knows? Back surgery is a big deal. And he is still in Orlando!! Courtney Lee is not a superstar but is a HUGE GET for us. Ditto, JT, Wilcox, Bass and so on. It's called a team, and complimentary parts are crtical.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorwayBoy. Show NorwayBoy's posts

Re: Name recognition v. Game day depth

Aaaand an other potential interesting thread getting taken over by trolling.
    Why can't we just discuss basketball, it's getting annoing to have to scroll past 70% of the posts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorwayBoy. Show NorwayBoy's posts

As for my 2 cents.
    I think that despite what many people think about the ref and the need for stars, what you need is to be able to play good basketball. That means you need to be able to score consistantly and keep the other team from scoring. Unless your team is fairly young and able to play huge minutes that means you need a fairly deep team. 
    Stars help cus they can score when your offence breaks down, but if a team has a good system going for them and they are able to share the ball the need for a star player isn't as big.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Name recognition v. Game day depth:
    [QUOTE]The NBA Finals are almost always won by teams with multiple stars. Unfortunately, we only have 1 inconsistent star in Rondo. Nash might not be Nash from 5 years ago but he produces just as much as Rondo does. 2011-12: Nash  31.6 mpg, 12.5 ppg, 10.7 apg, 3.0 rpg, 53.2% FG, 39% 3PT FG, 89.4% FT Rondo 36.9 mpg, 11.9 ppg, 11.7 apg, 4.9 rpg, 44.8% FG, 23.8% 3PT FG, 59.7% FT  I love Rondo but Nash is still a very good/great player.
    Posted by TommyRules[/QUOTE]

Nash can't play defense.  At all.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name recognition v. Game day depth : Yeah OK. If he was on our Celtics you would be praising him and saying how we play team defense so it doesn't matter how he plays defensively. Unfortunately, the Lakers have the trees under the basket to cover for defensive liabilities. It was the Lakers lack of offense that caused them to lose the series against OKC. They gave up less then 100 ppg against OKC.

No I wouldn't. I think you have mistaken me for some of the people you argue with pointlessly here.   If he were on the Celtics I would be happy that they signed him as he is still a good player, but I would be dissapointed that the Celtics best solution at PG was a 38 year old guy that played no defense.

By the way since you are a Celtics fan you don't know this but the Lakers were not a very good defensive team last year.  They were 14th I believe in points given up per game. So yes getting worse on D could be a significant problem.

Did you know Boston was first in fg percent allowed?  Under 42 percent.

I know the casual fan just looks at offensive stats but the top 5 teams in fg percent allowed were Boston, Chicago, OKC, Philly and Miami.  

Anyway cool stats on Nash.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name recognition v. Game day depth : Unfortunately for Boston, defense and offense wins championships. Boston was the worst rebounding and scoring team to make the playoffs last year. Their scoring averaged DECREASED from 91.8 ppg to 89.5 ppg in the playoffs. Boston averaged less than 40 rpg in the regular season and in the playoffs. In the much harder Western Conf LA had a better record than Boston and if I am not mistaken were 2-0 against Boston. Maybe With a healthy Wilcox and Collins, we will be able to handle Bynum, Gasol and Hill.

???????? What happened to Howard?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name recognition v. Game day depth : Unfortunately for Boston, defense and offense wins championships. Boston was the worst rebounding and scoring team to make the playoffs last year. Their scoring averaged DECREASED from 91.8 ppg to 89.5 ppg in the playoffs. Boston averaged less than 40 rpg in the regular season and in the playoffs. In the much harder Western Conf LA had a better record than Boston and if I am not mistaken were 2-0 against Boston. Maybe With a healthy Wilcox and Collins, we will be able to handle Bynum, Gasol and Hill.

I wasn't talking about Boston. Obviously Boston has challenges on the offensive end.  Did you want to talk about that? 

I thought we were talking about Nash and the Lakers defense.  I was trying to explain to you that it wasn't very good and will be much worse this year now that Nash is on board. I know as a Celtics fan you didn't know that.

Anyway if you want to talk about Boston I am down with that.  You're the one that brought up Nash and the Lakers for some reason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name recognition v. Game day depth : That would make it even harder for us to beat those hated Fakers if/when Dwight gets traded to them.

Why?  We will only play them twice next year.....most likely neither team will make it to the Finals!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name recognition v. Game day depth : Why?  We will only play them twice next year.....most likely neither team will make it to the Finals!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Whether or not the Celtics are better than LA is one of the last things I am worrying about.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts