NBA Combine notes...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

NBA Combine notes...

Parker, Embiid, and Wiggins blew off the Combine completely.

From Chad Ford (ESPN): "Standing reach seems to be the key stat for bigs. NBA teams look at wingspan for guards and wings, and standing reach for bigs. Guards tend to defend laterally while bigs defend vertically, which explains the difference."

Based on measurements... 

On the rise: Vonleh, LaVine, Adams, Payne, Young, several PGs.

Falling: Randle, Gordon, Harris

Noah Vonleh and Jarnell Stokes had the biggest hands (9.75"). Vonleh's standing reach was 9', which is the threshold scouts look for in Bigs. His height was 6'8" without shoes. His wingspan was 7'4.25". Only Isaiah Austin was longer (7'4.5"). Vonleh weighed in at 247.1 lbs. His measurables alone could put him over Randle and Gordon. Randle's standing reach/wingspan was 8'9.5"/7'0", Gordon's was 8'9"/6'11.75".

LaVine: From Chad Ford (ESPN)

"UCLA's Zach LaVine was the big winner Thursday. Not only did he look the part of a big NBA point guard (he measured 6-foot-5.75 with a 6-8.25 wingspan) but he showed off some terrific athleticism and shooting ability. With most of the rest of the potential lottery picks sitting out, LaVine was the one guy who really looked like he had star potential.

"We've liked him from Day 1," one NBA GM said. "But it helped to see him out there. He was competing. Shooting the ball. And he looked like he wanted it. I know he's a project, but there is so much there to like."

Virtually every GM I spoke with had him pegged as a lottery pick. He'll have to keep up this pace in workouts (he'll see a lot of Marcus Smart, Tyler Ennis and Elfrid Payton in those workouts), but no one had a bigger first day than LaVine."

Adams: Chad Ford (ESPN):

"LaVine's teammate Jordan Adams also impressed. Not only did he put up the second-best spot-up shooting performance of the day for a guard (Washington's Chris Wilcox was No. 1), but Adams showed up at a svelte 208 pounds, 22 pounds below his listed playing weight at UCLA. Adams was knocked for being out of shape during both of his seasons at UCLA. The weight loss not only made him quicker, but showed he was committed to improving his game."

James Young: 6'6.75" in shoes, 7' wingspan, 8'8" standing reach. Those are great measurables for a 3-forward.

Payne: 7'4" wingspan, 9'1" standing reach, 6'9" without shoes. All great measurements for a PF.

PGs: Chad Ford (ESPN): "Of the four top point guards not named Exum (6'9.5" wingspan), all measured unusually long. Smart has a 6-9¼ wingspan, LaVine's is 6-8¼, Payton's is 6-8 and Ennis' is 6-7¼. Those are all impressive numbers."

Gary Harris was only 6'2.5" without shoes and had a shorter than expected wingspan (6'6.75").

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: NBA Combine notes...

Sounds like Gordon has perfectly acceptable measurements from a SF. 

We all know already he has the handle, passing/vision and ability to defend wings perfect for the SF position, a la Shawn Marion. The added bonus of some post moves and a power forward's rebounding ability makes him intriguing in a lot of ways.

He needs to improve his shooting of course, but doesn't turn 19 until the Fall.

Vonleh also doesn't turn 19 until the Fall. 6'8" without shoes means he'll be listed as 6'10" in the NBA, but... I'd want him on the Celtics only as a stretch five who can defend PF's AND centers and let Olynyk/Sully defend the less explosive offensive player. so in that regard, I'd like to see him be about 2' taller. But he could still be growing. I would take him over Randle and have said that since the start. Randle has a Zach Randolph/Elton Brand style of player future. He should be like a 12/7 out the gate, a slightly undersized pure PF, and has a ceiling as a 21/9 solid but unspectacular 3rd best player on a good team in my opinion.

Vonleh, at 247 already at 19, is much heftier than Bosh. You'd want to see him turn into like Dale Davis or Alonzo Mourning, an 18/11 PF-C who defends the rim and can be a contender's second best player, or at worst like P.J. Brown or Marcus Camby. I would take Zo, Davis or Camby over Brand/Randolph if starting a team.

Thanks for the info on the combine.

Looks like LaVine will be long gone by the time the C's pick at #17. He was my sleeper there.

Harris fell of course. Some mocked him up and talked him up, but Young may have passed him over by now. He's got 6th man scorer written all over him. A Jason Terry/Hershey Hawkins ceiling as a 4th best player in my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I reserve the right to change my mind here - and, of course, it depends on who we get with our first pick.....but

Embiid over anyone

Parker over Wiggins (but it's a win win)

Exum over Smart

Vonleh over Randle

Gordon is intriguing to me.......but I seem to like Anderson better.......call me crazy.

With 17 - NO on Harris

Yes on Young

Yes on Stauskas

YES on Hood

But I seem to like La Vigne over all of them...

That having been said, keep Bradley or try to get Haywood, and draft a Euro big, if we don't get Embiid.  If we get Embiid, we need another scorer, and I'm all in for Hood or LaVigne.

Nurkic may be gone

Capela seems to be a nice player

Very intrigued by Porzingis...................can't teach length, and is only 18.

My 1.5 cents worth!!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Guys we should not pass on in order of importance to me:

Embiid   Parker   Wiggins   Vonleh.   Smart.  Gordon.   Early Napier.   Russ Smith      McDermott. 

McD is a one dimensional outside shooter who is not as quick as Kyle Korver getting open. Destined for the bench.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I watched the combine and Vonleh really stood out with how well he  measured out, he is super long and is pretty bulky, especially for a 19 year old, he already has an nba body (pf). With his standing reach  he may be able to play some center (like al horford type) if he can , id say he is our pick if we are out of the top 3.  He would give us length and athleticism in the front court something this team sorely lacks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

We want more notes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Why dont people realize that Russ Smith has the same skillset as Kyrie Irving?

Because he is a huuuuge 2 inches shorter? RIDICULOUS!!!!!! (Tommy voice)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We want more notes

[/QUOTE]

noted

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Thanx 4 the note

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow!

Gary Harris is only 6-2.5 without shoes.

If that's the case then I'm off the Gary Harris bandwagon because he's just as tall as AB!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Welcome to the club.  I was never on the bandwagon..........but I'm getting on the LaVigne bandwagon quickly!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

Guys we should not pass on in order of importance to me:

Embiid   Parker   Wiggins   Vonleh.   Smart.  Gordon.   Early Napier.   Russ Smith      McDermott. 

McD is a one dimensional outside shooter who is not as quick as Kyle Korver getting open. Destined for the bench.

McDermott ran well in his drills. He can also move without the ball, something Korver can't do. He actually has quick feet on D. The problem is he's not big enough to play the 4 and his feet aren't quick enough to play 3.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

[QUOTE]

We want more notes

[/QUOTE]

The only things left are the drills, which 9/10 times I take with a grain of salt and the interviews which can be viewed on Youtube (Draftexpress).

On thing that concerns me: The top 3 players not only blew off the combine, their medical records are HIPAA protected. That means their agent(s) can pick and choose which teams he will grant permission to. For example, Arn Tellum can tell his client (Embiid?) to give the Lakers a peek while shutting out the other lottery teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sounds like Gordon has perfectly acceptable measurements from a SF. 

We all know already he has the handle, passing/vision and ability to defend wings perfect for the SF position, a la Shawn Marion. The added bonus of some post moves and a power forward's rebounding ability makes him intriguing in a lot of ways.

He needs to improve his shooting of course, but doesn't turn 19 until the Fall.

Vonleh also doesn't turn 19 until the Fall. 6'8" without shoes means he'll be listed as 6'10" in the NBA, but... I'd want him on the Celtics only as a stretch five who can defend PF's AND centers and let Olynyk/Sully defend the less explosive offensive player. so in that regard, I'd like to see him be about 2' taller. But he could still be growing. I would take him over Randle and have said that since the start. Randle has a Zach Randolph/Elton Brand style of player future. He should be like a 12/7 out the gate, a slightly undersized pure PF, and has a ceiling as a 21/9 solid but unspectacular 3rd best player on a good team in my opinion.

Vonleh, at 247 already at 19, is much heftier than Bosh. You'd want to see him turn into like Dale Davis or Alonzo Mourning, an 18/11 PF-C who defends the rim and can be a contender's second best player, or at worst like P.J. Brown or Marcus Camby. I would take Zo, Davis or Camby over Brand/Randolph if starting a team.

Thanks for the info on the combine.

Looks like LaVine will be long gone by the time the C's pick at #17. He was my sleeper there.

Harris fell of course. Some mocked him up and talked him up, but Young may have passed him over by now. He's got 6th man scorer written all over him. A Jason Terry/Hershey Hawkins ceiling as a 4th best player in my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I love Gordon at the 3 too. That said, his hideous FT shooting is indicative of bad shooting mechanics.

This is me in an ESPN chat with Kevin Pelton...

tbucky34 (Boston)
    The more I watch Aaron Gordon play the more I'm impressed. Are his shooting woes (especially at the line) correctable? If so, he could be a superstar. Against SD ST, they kept replaying his ally-oop, but it was his stop on the ball on D that set up that score.

Kevin Pelton
    (5:02 PM)
    I'll say this: A lot of mistakes have been made in NBA history assuming that shooting woes were correctable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I was NEVER on the gary harris bandwagon, another undersized 2 guard no thanks.   Vonleh and gordon are my 2 top guys.  I had gordon as my top guy  but after the way vonleh measured out and looks, coupled with his rebounding and jump shooting, he is my top guy. He has that al horford build with a higher standing reach.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

His measurements and build lead me to believe he can play the center spot some and be that stretch 5.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I  wonder how Vonleh and Embiid will compare in the end?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

I reserve the right to change my mind here - and, of course, it depends on who we get with our first pick.....but

Embiid over anyone

Parker over Wiggins (but it's a win win)

Exum over Smart

Vonleh over Randle

Gordon is intriguing to me.......but I seem to like Anderson better.......call me crazy.

With 17 - NO on Harris

Yes on Young

Yes on Stauskas

YES on Hood

But I seem to like La Vigne over all of them...

That having been said, keep Bradley or try to get Haywood, and draft a Euro big, if we don't get Embiid.  If we get Embiid, we need another scorer, and I'm all in for Hood or LaVigne.

Nurkic may be gone

Capela seems to be a nice player

Very intrigued by Porzingis...................can't teach length, and is only 18.

My 1.5 cents worth!!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

I agree with this guy...good post Hedley!

Big thanks to CP for starting this informative thread and providing so much information.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Who was the shooting guard who rose up at the combine.  I don't mean the UCLA guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Shooters Melvin Ejim, Iowa State C J Wilcox, Washigton, Alec Brown Wisc Green Bay, 7Feet one inch but soft

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

Shooters Melvin Ejim, Iowa State C J Wilcox, Washigton, Alec Brown Wisc Green Bay, 7Feet one inch but soft

[/QUOTE]

Don't we have a couple guys like that already?  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Three or four at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

Three or four at least.

[/QUOTE]

Heck, why not...let's corner the league in tall, soft, outside shooting useless bigs...lol...why not?!

Sections
Shortcuts