NBA Finals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

NBA Finals

Been away for a long time.

Have to say that the Spurs played some of the most beautiful and pure basketball I have ever seen in last years finals. The passing and team basketball was just sublime. Incredible stuff, and well deserved champions. I would love to see the other teams in the NBA attempt to play a style of basketball like it.

Duncan cementing his place as one of the all time greats.

And Greg Popovich, certainly in the debate for the title of the best coach the league has seen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Re: NBA Finals

Agreed. Happy to see them take Miami out too. Expose James for the turncoat that he is. No wonder Ray wants to keep playing with him. Peas in a pod.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Welcome back! You are right. The finals were such a great Display of Team ball, Unbelivable. Passing is such a underated Basketball skill if combined with sharing the ball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Welcome back!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I can remember from years ago in simple outdoor pickup games, just once in a while playing with a bunch of people who understood the game  and playing with no ego could play wonderful basketball with cuts, screens and good passing and fast breaks . And the word to describe it is indeed, sublime.  Almost like a different sport from what yo see now which is too often built around one or two players per team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can remember from years ago in simple outdoor pickup games, just once in a while playing with a bunch of people who understood the game  and playing with no ego could play wonderful basketball with cuts, screens and good passing and fast breaks . And the word to describe it is indeed, sublime.  Almost like a different sport from what yo see now which is too often built around one or two players per team.

[/QUOTE]

Heck bill you got me wishing I was 16 again...I mean it...or around 22 watching a 6-8 Dave Cowens sliding on his belly nearly the length of the court to grab a loose ball against the Bucks in a playoff game against a 7-2 Jabbar (Alcindor)...you just wouldn't see today's "superstars" do that...NEVER....the "modern" game pales in comparison to what we were privileged to watch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

First off.....welcome back to the one and only "UR Worthy".......you have sorely been missed my dear..!

Mel, you nailed it....you and I must be about the same age.....the level of play during the Cowens' years was just incredible.....basketball at it's finest....

Boston Celtics' basketball has dominated the NBA like no other franchise......the Lakers are a close second in several ways but dominant vs. the league...?  not even close....16-15 hardly compares to 17-4......and head to head?  ....9-3 Celtics says it all.....we may not have had the success we were used to prior to free agency....and we did lose Bias & Lewis....but Celtic basketball has long been the bar that others have tried to emulate....Red started it....Russ made it all work....and tradition carried us all the way to the top.....

THE DUKE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhs1950. Show dhs1950's posts

I hope that its not the 1950's and 1960's that's being referred to here. Great games to watch then. That is if you want to sit and watch 75 free throw attempts per game vs 47 now and  want to listen to the sound of the ball as it clangs off the rim. Shooting under 40% was very common back then. Many h o f'ers like Cousy have sub 40% lifetime shooting averages  And if run and gun is your style you'd love the 60's. About 210 shots a game vs 162 now. And guess what. That 210 shots is close to the 220 shots taken throughout the years in the all star game. And of course we all brag about the offensive style of firing away as soon as a player has an open jump shot.

By the way. I did sit and watch those games back in the 50's and 60's and I loved every minute of it. But that's the way the game was played then. It was the norm. But I love the way the game is played now just as much. But then I don't dwell on the past. I'm not one of the good olds days boys.

dhs1950 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to RUWorthy's comment:

Have to say that the Spurs played some of the most beautiful and pure basketball I have ever seen in last years finals. The passing and team basketball was just sublime. Incredible stuff, and well deserved champions. I would love to see the other teams in the NBA attempt to play a style of basketball like it.

And Greg Popovich, certainly in the debate for the title of the best coach the league has seen.

Nice to see you back, respect your posting even when youre dead wrong, like now.

I cant ever consider Pop among the greatest nba coaches after the 2013 nba finals. Sorry, not after game 6 and the lost championship due to Pop.

Just as bad was Pop sticking with Ginobili throughout that series when the guy consistently played horrible to the point of costing his team the title... he was a turnover machine while throwing up ridiculous shots all at the wrong times. I understand sticking with the guys who got you there but comes a time when you do whats necessary for the benefit of the team. Pop failed miserably and his loyalty/stubbornness towards Ginobili  trumped his team winning the title.

That said, you gotta love how the SPurs played in the finals and the body of work for Pops is undeniable. Has to be considered a great coach but 2013 wiped him off the map in discussions about all timers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to dhs1950's comment:

I hope that its not the 1950's and 1960's that's being referred to here. Great games to watch then. That is if you want to sit and watch 75 free throw attempts per game vs 47 now and  want to listen to the sound of the ball as it clangs off the rim. Shooting under 40% was very common back then. Many h o f'ers like Cousy have sub 40% lifetime shooting averages  And if run and gun is your style you'd love the 60's. About 210 shots a game vs 162 now. And guess what. That 210 shots is close to the 220 shots taken throughout the years in the all star game. And of course we all brag about the offensive style of firing away as soon as a player has an open jump shot.

By the way. I did sit and watch those games back in the 50's and 60's and I loved every minute of it. But that's the way the game was played then. It was the norm. But I love the way the game is played now just as much. But then I don't dwell on the past. I'm not one of the good olds days boys.

dhs1950 

I caught the second half of the 60's and loved the game back then, cant speak to what took place before that time. I also loved the 70's even though the Knicks were part of the great ball back then. The 70's Celtics teams were great to watch.. Cowens is one of my all timers and I posted earlier how disappointing it is he's generally forgotten when discussing all time greats of the C's.  Those Celtic teams were perhaps the greatest fast break teams of all time.

Who can complain about the 80's-90's  with Dr J, Larry & Magic, the Bad Boys, then MJ & the Bulls, Knicks Rockets. Lets not forget the ABA either, loved watching the stars of the league & the Nets title teams & the integration into the nba

Then the game seemed to tail off for me. I think the league got real young, the center position (except for Shaq) thinned out and the game became more 1on1 and foul dominated. Im still not sure how much I like the 3 point shot. maybe it should only count in the final 3 minutes of each half.

The game also seemed to be controlled more by the refs in the 2000's.. to the point of giving credibility to the Tim Donaghys out there. 

The Spurs finals this year was a joy to watch but where was that ball in all the previous series? I keep scratching my head on that one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Games like that have been common in and around Boston/Cambridge for a long time. I played in New York City, Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and a couple of places in California, and each game was the same - whoever brought it over mid court shot it. No passing, no real defense, so the concept of team ball was nonexistent. They were all just simultaneously playing five games of one-on-one. The Detroit experiences were almost comical. Always the point guard, I'd pass to open guys, and they seemed genuinely stunned. One guy stopped the game to ask me where I was from, and when I said, "Boston", he said, "Oh, that explains it." Thereafter, everyone tried to beat his man to get open and not just stand around waiting for someone to shoot. They still played lousy defense and just tried to block shots and nothing else.

[object HTMLDivElement]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

In response to RUWorthy's comment:

[QUOTE]

Nice to see you back, respect your posting even when youre dead wrong, like now.

I cant ever consider Pop among the greatest nba coaches after the 2013 nba finals. Sorry, not after game 6 and the lost championship due to Pop.

Just as bad was Pop sticking with Ginobili throughout that series when the guy consistently played horrible to the point of costing his team the title... he was a turnover machine while throwing up ridiculous shots all at the wrong times. I understand sticking with the guys who got you there but comes a time when you do whats necessary for the benefit of the team. Pop failed miserably and his loyalty/stubbornness towards Ginobili  trumped his team winning the title.

That said, you gotta love how the SPurs played in the finals and the body of work for Pops is undeniable. Has to be considered a great coach but 2013 wiped him off the map in discussions about all timers.

[/QUOTE]

:)

I think that Pop did learn from last year, thing I remember most from last year 2013 finals, was Ray Allens shot. Which is one of the greatest clutch shots ever. But the structure of the Spurs changed, players such as Mills had expanded roles, Danny Green for example saw less time in the post season. More importantly their game changed dramatically.

I recall in game 5 or was it 4 when Pop was about to put Manu into the game, and changed his mind. Maybe Manu was injured last season in the play offs. His numbers improved considerably this year in the post season. Pat Mills became a factor this season, yet Danny Green wasn't used as much.

The play offs are tough, but I think Pop learned from last year. Or at least improved his team to the point where they could beat Miami. The passing game, and consistent scoring from several players. Considering the age of the Spurs core this was impressive. I think the coaching was part of that, the learning and the ability to put the lessons into practice is the sign of a well coached team. Some things you can't coach for, such as Rays shot.

Thing I like about Pop as he appears to get the most out of his players. Players often passed up by several teams on draft night, or not really given a hope of making it in the NBA. Admittedly he has one of the all time greats in Duncan, and had Robinson for a time.

Duncan and Robinson being the only high draft picks to be affective in the championship campaigns. Although Sean Elliott did start in 1999. And I'm not counting Wil Purdue who was a high pick. Or Danny Ferry who won a title with them.

I think his says a lot about the draft at the same time. As it's more art than science.

But, Robinson and Duncan, especially Duncan are the only two genuine stars he has had, who came into the team. I don't think anybody saw Tony Parker becoming the player he has. 28th pick, 4 championships, 6 time all star, first ballot hall of fame (hopefully).

It's one thing to have a team of champions. But Pop has really accomplished wonders with the Spurs. No high draft picks, no superstar free agents coming to the team. I'm astounded by what they have accomplished. Plus coming from the toughest conference. The Mavs took them to 7 games in the first round. Which is incredible. 

13. This post has been removed.