NBA May Block Celtics, Clippers Trade

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: NBA May Block Celtics, Clippers Trade

Very interesting.  Although, I still believe that the trade will happen.  I am not sure what will happen to Doc if he doesn't leave.  It won't be easy for him to return as the Celtics coach after he made it clear that he doesn't want to stay in Boston. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Bad news.  Everyone knows there is a side deal in this transaction. This is not good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Stern = D0uche

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

It's semantics if you ask me.

If a team wants to hire a coach under contract, the team that he's currently coaching can choose to let him out of his deal AND negotiate compensation for the coaches remaining years on the deal. (Hence 2 #1s)

The KG part is where the money has to be within 25% value to meet cap requirements. KG at $11M and Jordan at $10M meets that criteria. In my eyes there is nothing wrong with the deal.

The only reason why I believe they have questions is because they are trying to report the deal as one deal, instead of 2 separate transactions. If Doc gets negotiated first then the Clippers could renege on the KG part and if the KG deal goes through first then the Celtics could renege on letting Doc out of his deal. Both sides have some precautions about doing the deals separately.

I bet CP3 is saying "not this sh!t again" LOL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Word is that the league doesn't think the C's are getting ENOUGH for KG if the two picks are for Doc. The Clips may have to sweeten the pot .... Bledsoe????

is that it? I thought it had to do with Stern/league knowing that the two transactions involved a coach which is not allowed.. If thats the case, cant clips/celts verbally agree to let Doc go and just do a players trade?? dunno, just a blindfolded guess..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I kind of feel for Brian Shaw on this. He's trying to land a head coaching job and really the clips do want Doc. Still waiting for the approval from Donald Sterling.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Word is that the league doesn't think the C's are getting ENOUGH for KG if the two picks are for Doc. The Clips may have to sweeten the pot .... Bledsoe????

Actually it seems to be the other way around. The league seems to think that DJ and 2 picks are TOO MUCH for KG!!!!!  And they want the celts to give up more or the clips to give up less!  Isn't that some BS!  

So it seems like if DA wants this done he will have to accept the first deal with only one pick and maybe even have to give up a future pick of the Celts.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/06/20/nba-raises-concerns-about-clippers-celtics-trade/2442231/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

This is absolutely awesome!! AND TRUE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Scratch that .... its actually the opposite:

Stern agreed on the show that NBA rules prevent trades with “contingencies or side deals attached.” “I would say that if we know that what the parties really wanted to do is one and they’re going to break into two for purposes of trying to avoid the restrictions that the collective bargaining agreement places on it -- we know how to deal with that as well,” Stern said on the showLos Angeles Times

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here's the best way to dance with the idiot Sterns just release Doc from his contract.Then on draft day trade KG and Lee/Terry for DeAndre Jordan and two draft choices and pick a bum from the end of their bench to even it out. After the trade Doc signs with the Clippers. Then who gives a rats behind what Sterns thinks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

"The deal could still get done, but one of two adjustments may need to be made: the Celtics may need to offer more in the deal than just Garnett, with draft picks the most logical possibility; the Clippers, who have been attempting to give up just one first-round draft pick, may be allowed to give up less in the trade. The real trade value of the 37-year-old is at the center of this discussion, as the idea that Boston could net two first-round draft picks and a respectable replacement in Jordan who is 13 years younger clearly doesn't calculate for league officials."

Dude, believe me, I really wish it wasn't so.  This is a quote from that article.  So I did read it before posting.

Posters on realgm are going apesht over it, and this isn't the only article that states it, I am just too lazy to do all that copy and pasting.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Davis Stern is a piece of ......

I will be so glad when this guy is gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Felger and Mazz were talking about this same issue about an hour ago, and Felger was trying to make the case that because of the age difference KG for DJ straight up would be fair.  He would love nothing better for the Cs to be as terrible as possible, for as long as possible. Obviously Stern shares this feeling.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

Docc has a non compete clause in his deal.  He can not coach any team for the remaining 3 years, unless granted permission from the Celts.  So you mean to tell me, it's not going to look "funny" if the let Doc go and then say... "Sure, you can talk to the Clippers, who just happen to trade us a player and 2 draft picks for a player that is on his last legs"

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from solich8. Show solich8's posts

Is the NBA dumb? Ax the deal Stern and KG will retire and Doc will sit out and CP3 doesn't sign and create alot of buzz with the new media darlings in a big market. Then your posterboy Griffen gets no buzz playing on a shitty clipper team and league interest gets lower and merchandise of new clipper gear looses the league money.  Go ahead and have two loser teams in LA and see how that creates a ripple effect for the league!  

You riggered the New York draft in 1985 with the frozen envelope in the best interest of the league and now you are concerned about this?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

it will get done, I believe...this is the latest:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 21m

Celtics and Clippers haven't talked for several hours, sources tell Y! Clippers insist they want deal done, working on ways to satisfy NBA.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Stern is not going to allow KG and Doc to go - period.   The CBA does not allow them to be packaged together, and it's pretty well known that Doc won't go without KG, and vice versa.  Splitting the deal into separate deals is trying to circumvent the rules that are in place. 

I heard Stern today on the Herd, and he repeated all of the above.  "We have ways of dealing with these situations".   French translation:  "Nice Try".

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts