NBA may change rule to discourage tanking

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

NBA may change rule to discourage tanking

I am not sure I fully understand the proposal but giving no incentive for worse record is a good start.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/report--nba-considering-modifying-its-draft-lottery-process-205828311.html" rel="nofollow">http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/report--nba-considering-modifying-its-draft-lottery-process-205828311.html

Maybe giving slightly better odd or more ping pong balls for the team that just miss the playoffs and then slightly worse odds for teams with successively worse record down to the last place team is even a better way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: NBA may change rule to discourage tanking

Sorry NBA and Silver but that's stupid.

Say the Cavs lose Lebron to a season ending injury but are good enough to get the #9 seed which they would be... They'd get yet another Top 3 pick for no reason.

Teams that are on the cusp of the playoffs don't need a Top 3 prospect like the Bucks and 76ers do.

Tanking happens, we just have to deal with it. If you want to stop tanking the league needs to be cut down to 20-22 teams and the talent will be more diverse and competitive

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

If the Cavs get 9th seed, they still are not likely to get the 1st pick.  There are still 16 teams that did not make the playoffs, and if they all have the same odds, still it is 1/16 chance of getting the first pick.  It is just that there are no longer any incentive to loose anymore in this system.  It is not dumb, just that bad teams now have a bigger hurtle to climb probabilistically, but there would be no longer any reward for loosing.  There will be less dumping of players to get worse to position for the draft.

In fact, if you slightly increase the odds for a better team not making the playoffs, teams should be willing to trade up even if they are bad and try to get better at the trading deadline.  In the offseason, bad teams would be willing to spend to incrementally get better. There also should be less dumping of players like what the Celtics did with KG and PP. Franchise players should get to stay more and retire with the teams.

Games will be more meaningful for bad teams at the end of the season which should increase fans interest and possibly more attendance for those bad teams.

Just last season, the Cavs was the 9th worst record and they got 1st pick in the current system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not sure I fully understand the proposal but giving no incentive for worse record is a good start.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/report--nba-considering-modifying-its-draft-lottery-process-205828311.html" rel="nofollow">http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/report--nba-considering-modifying-its-draft-lottery-process-205828311.html" rel="nofollow">http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/report--nba-considering-modifying-its-draft-lottery-process-205828311.html

Maybe giving slightly better odd or more ping pong balls for the team that just miss the playoffs and then slightly worse odds for teams with successively worse record down to the last place team is even a better way.

[/QUOTE]

I like the new proposal for top lotto teams, more of a chance for everyone, no clear cut advantage for having the worst record......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

The NBA should stop itself from committing fraud when it comes to the lottery.  Picking the top 6 selections increases the opportunities for fraud. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

Yeah, it's better but I think it should be a tiered system. The top 5 teams should all have the same chance, but are guaranteed a top five pick. The next five are guaranteed a 6-11 pick and so on. It's really stupid to allow a team that finishes 9th or 10th any shot at a top prospect.

Or you could reverse the odds within the tiers. Like the team who finishes 5th has the best odds and the team with the worst record has the 5th best odds. It would be impossible to tank for that 5 spot, because you would have to lose all season then try to turn it on near the end to end up in the 5th position. Bad teams can't turn it on and off like that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Its real simple. Start a revolving schedule beginning with the oldest teams in the association.

Boston would have its 1st #1 pick. All picks that have already been traded will be converted into the new system.

For example Boston has 1st pick 1st round, next year last pick 1st rd, next year 2nd pick 1st rd, next year second to last pick 1st rd.

That will take the mystery out of traded picks.

The beginning order will be set alphabetically and by seniority. The oldest teams in alphabetical order will set the original order.

If a team has the #1 pick in the 1st rd, he is set to have the last pick in the second rd. Last pick 1st rd, 1st pick 2nd rd.

I think that would be EXCELLENT for the integrity of the game and make trading picks MUCH easier. More exciting player movement!

I read this similar idea somewhere.

So the oldest teams are Celtics, Lakers,Sixers,Knicks

So the 2016 draft order would begin

1.Celtics

2.Knicks

3.Lakers

4.Sixers

(Alphabetical order of the teams in order of seniority)

On second thought, the order should be arranged in such a way as to give the teams in order of seniority the highest picks first.

For example Celtics have #1 while Knicks have #30. Next year Knicks have #1 and Celtics have #29 Then Celts have #2 and Knicks have #29.Meanwhile, Lakers have #30 when Knicks have #1 and the Lakers have#1 when Sixers have #30.Basically when a team picks 30th, they have the #1 pick in the next draft.

2nd rd works in reverse order. Teams with 1st pick always draw the 60th pick in 2nd rd. The team with #15 in the 1st gets #45 in the 2nd rd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

That system is also great for salary cap management.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, it's better but I think it should be a tiered system. The top 5 teams should all have the same chance, but are guaranteed a top five pick. The next five are guaranteed a 6-11 pick and so on. It's really stupid to allow a team that finishes 9th or 10th any shot at a top prospect.

Or you could reverse the odds within the tiers. Like the team who finishes 5th has the best odds and the team with the worst record has the 5th best odds. It would be impossible to tank for that 5 spot, because you would have to lose all season then try to turn it on near the end to end up in the 5th position. Bad teams can't turn it on and off like that.

[/QUOTE]

If 9th worse placed team has as good a chance as worse placed team then everyone would strive to be better instead of worse.  The Cavs just got 1st pick, and I have no problem with that versus say the Sixers who seemed to have tried really hard to loose.

If we have your tier system, 6th or better teams in the next tier have huge incentive to get to 5th. I prefer no incentive at all to loose and always incentivise excellence and winning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If 9th worse placed team has as good a chance as worse placed team then everyone would strive to be better instead of worse.  The Cavs just got 1st pick, and I have no problem with that versus say the Sixers who seemed to have tried really hard to loose.

If we have your tier system, 6th or better teams in the next tier have huge incentive to get to 5th. I prefer no incentive at all to loose and always incentivise excellence and winning.

[/QUOTE]

Point is taken, but a team wouldn't want to tank for 5th place if they were seeded higher due to the fear of landing 6th. Any team that lands 6th would have no chance to be in the top five, and they most likely would end up with the 11th pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Point is taken, but a team wouldn't want to tank for 5th place if they were seeded higher due to the fear of landing 6th. Any team that lands 6th would have no chance to be in the top five, and they most likely would end up with the 11th pick.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it is just me but getting 11th vs 7th or 8th is not a huge difference but a chance at the top pick from say 7th is a lot bigger in value and importance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

The commissioner has been called bold for his punishment of the media darling, Donald Sterling.  Apparently, he didn't get the memo that Philadelphia was a total disgrace last year.

Philly drafted an injured player again this year along with a Euro that wont be coming over.  The have a ton of cap space and spent nothing.  Step up to the plate Mr. Silver.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Here's a novel idea, simply do like the NFL, NHL, and MLB and award the picks in the order of finish. Why in the world do they need a Lottery? Your team sucks and finish in last place that team deserves the first pick in the draft. All that other crap is just that, also this stops guys like Sterns from rigging who gets the first pick as happened when the Celtics had two lottery choices and wound up with the worst possible scenario because David Sterns kept coming up with reasons why the Celtics couldn't have the first pick and then the 2nd or third in the same draft, he essentially made sure the Celtics couldn't improve by way of the draft. Another idea is to stop hiring Sterns friends too replace him, because they learned all of his moves. Hence Cleveland winds up with another first pick overall and unlike winning three Super bowls in 10 years winning three lotteries in ten years is impossible! Unless someone is manipulating the process.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The commissioner has been called bold for his punishment of the media darling, Donald Sterling.  Apparently, he didn't get the memo that Philadelphia was a total disgrace last year.

Philly drafted an injured player again this year along with a Euro that wont be coming over.  The have a ton of cap space and spent nothing.  Step up to the plate Mr. Silver.

[/QUOTE]

Each team must spend 90% of cap ($56.759M).  Philly has approx $25M in salary, not counting Embiid.  They will have to spend more money.  I don't know the penalty for not spending the required amount.

Sections
Shortcuts