NBA Players and Management are a greedy bunch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

NBA Players and Management are a greedy bunch

I'm sick and tired of the news out of the NBA talks and even if the season is held I will not be watching. Both sides in this issue are greedy and could care less about the reality of the situation they've created for those really being affected by this lockout, the businesses and  people who work in businesses around the arenas where the games are held. Read stories and watch the news to find out how adversely many are affected by the strike and it really hits home. It shows how pathetic and uncaring both sides in this issue are and only care about lining their pockets making the rich only richer. 

Hetchinspete  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: NBA Players and Management are a greedy bunch

Agreed both sides are greedy.  But, its hard to see who should just "give in" on which issues.   Should the owners just give in despite what they believe in or should the players just roll over and give in knowing it will affect their future.

In the history of unions, they have always fought for their rights and only through tough negotiations and strikes did they win workers rights.   I don't know who's right and I wish they'd both compromise, but its difficult to know who's right and who's wrong about each issue given all the mis-information flowing around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

There's no right or wrong in a sincere negotiation imo. It's a matter of both sides settling on terms. IT's very subjective.

Now sometimes a second agenda can sneak into a negotiation...such as the owners not settling on acceptable terms for wanting to break the union, taking away their power  & leverage.... or on the players side an attempt to pressure & split the owners (big market vs small market) into a favorable deal or their representatives wanting this to go on for much longer to gain more fame and fees...

Celtfan4life said it best, hard to know with so much misinformation around.  It's akin to listening to politicians from both sides of the aisle...you'll short circuit your brain trying to follow the spin

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: NBA Players and Management are a greedy bunch:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NBA Players and Management are a greedy bunch : Both are not only greedy, both are also wrong. Owners are trying to bully the players, players are acting like they are on the same level with the owners.  The owners can bully the players all they want, but it's affecting everybody, the fans, the workers and small businesses that rely on the NBA. That's where the owners are wrong. What the players have to realize is they're just employees. No matter how great basketball players they are, the owners are the boss. But the owners are the lesser of two evils here. We have to understand that an owner is the one taking a risk by investing his or her money on the NBA. The players get their salaries even if a team is losing money. It's not like if the team doesn't make money the player gets a lesser salary. On NBA TV, Reggie Miller said it's the owners league. The owners can do what they want with the NBA because they own it. In the end the players will lose because not playing means no income. Can average NBA players last 2 years without salaries? 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Well said, the players are acting like they are partners in this - and they aren't!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

"Both are not only greedy, both are also wrong. Owners are trying to bully the players, players are acting like they are on the same level with the owners. "

You are looking in the wrong direction:
    It's Stupid Stern and your stupid assessment who created the monster not the players or the owners.

.....and the next time there is an NBA, the owners will try to decrease stupid Stern power.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I don't follow the NBA and never really have.  I think it is ridiculously insane that a bunch of guys that can shoot a basketball that have a IQ of about 53 can make 10's of millions of dollars.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NBA Players and Management are a greedy bunch : The Melo trade to NY was the last straw. Remember what a distraction Melo was for the Nuggets from October until Melo got his wish in February?  After Melo left, the Nuggets started playing well. It was like the Nuggets were being held hostage. The whole Nuggets team was distracted. Instead of focusing on winning games, the media kept asking the coach, the players, and everybody connected to the Nuggets if Melo was going to get traded or not.   

I agree it was the last straw, but for a different reason.  IMO, the team should be allowed to trade a guy where THEY want to, not where he wants to.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Sox traded Manny to the Dodgers....was he even allowed to say he wouldn't sign an extension with them?  NBA players should keep their mouths shut about that......Melo should have played on the Nets last year, they had the best offer for him.  Melo did hold the Nuggets hostage.... he was not in the least bit altruistic.  He came off like a good guy saying, " I don't want to be here, so trade me and get the best deal you can for me."  But what he MEANT was, "trade me to the Knicks, I'm going there anyway."  The DH situation is different.  He can say he wants to go to the lakers all he wants, but they can't afford him without trading Bynum FOR him (in other words, they can't trade Bynum in a separate deal to create space for DH.)  The longer the lockout goes, the less likely it is that DH or CP3 end up on the lakers (DWill as well)
    Anyway, MElo and MEBron are a cause of the problem.  The solution is this - with 24 Mill of cap space next year, the Raptors should have as good a shot as anyone of getting Free Agents.  Yes, even though it's Toronto and it's cold, it is in the best interest of the league.  They are playing by the rules, and should not get scr....d  because of geography!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed that both owners and players are greedy. That's why it's best if there is no season this year. As the saying goes, you're not going to realize how valuable what you got until it's gone. Ha Ha

Agree that they should try to work something out.  I still don't believe that cancelling the season is a good idea.  In addition to the fact that I really miss watching the games, you also have to consider the many businesses that are influenced by this lockout.    The many arenas that are losing revenue for all of these cancelled games and the surrounding businesses that probably have a drop in revenue on the nights that these games were going to be played. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NBA Players and Management are a greedy bunch : Agree that they should try to work something out.  I still don't believe that cancelling the season is a good idea.  In addition to the fact that I really miss watching the games, you also have to consider the many businesses that are influenced by this lockout.    The many arenas that are losing revenue for all of these cancelled games and the surrounding businesses that probably have a drop in revenue on the nights that these games were going to be played. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Cancelling the season is the worst thing that could happen at this time and would prove only one thing unless I'm being as shortsighted as both sides in this issue. It would hurt those businesses that need the revenue generated by the games to survive. You would think with the economic conditions in our country being as poor as they now are that the NBA and players might realize how much this entire mess is affecting others, but apparently they are unaware or oblivious to this.

As you and others mention the players are employees only and although I think they have some say in matters involving their employment they are carrying this all too far. The owners as businessmen own the teams and player have no say in what percentage of revenue they should recieve. To think they should is ludicrous. On the other hand the owners are equally as greedy.

Hetchinspete.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NBA Players and Management are a greedy bunch : What monster? Are you referring to Godzilla? Blaming David Stern for everything just tells us how screwed up your isotopes are.

wHO ELSE do you point your finger except this sleazy sob?
    he ruled the nba like hitler. he re-engineered & managed the nba backwards.
    I hate his fixed refs, the business priority over the games, his fraud bounching balls and his overall control....
          i'm glad at the end he will fall like a fraud OBAMA.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Let's see!  David Stern gets paid millions, and can't shoot a foul shot.  He shows up out of shape every year.  He can't play a lick of Defense.  He takes bad shots.  He can't keep his mouth shut, and gets technicals all the time.  He brings the ball down, on rebounds, and loses it.  He travels on every move to the basket.  He can't set a screen  --  door.  OOPS!

Stern became Commissioner in 1984.  Average player salary  =  $330,000.  Team Salary Cap  =  $3.6 million.

By 2009, the average players salary was up to $5.8 million.  WOW!

The guy has really held the players back.   Money mouth

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Blaming Stern for the NBA problems is like blaming our President (no matter who he is) for our financial problems.  You cant blame one person.  I think Fierce summed the whole deal up quite eloquently.  The owners are digging their heels in the sand, they have that right, but they better understand they are hurting more than spoiled millionaire players. Who hurts most is usually the same peope in our society...the every day guy who owns the small bar or the vendor outside the game, or the employees at stadiums around the country. You know...the guys and girls who actually work hard for a living.  The players, on the other hand....feel like they are equal partners in the NBA, when they havent put up a DIME of their own money to keep the team or the league alive. 
    I dont agree with some people who say that without the star players, the league would flop so the players have leverage.  I think, if all the current players went away, and the league signed all those very good college players after graduation, it would stlll be entertaining, and you would see kids working their backsides off to make a name for themselves.  People dont realize how many very good college players never play in the NBA.  It might also end some of the lame duck franchises in the NBA, so the talent pool wouldnt be so watered down.  In a year or two, when all the current crybaby players have gone away, the new studs from college will enter into the NBA draft, and the system has fixed itself. I love watching college hoops as it is, so it would just be an extenstion of that with better players.  The ego's on these players needs to be checked (again, Fierce is EXACTLY right....see the mello deal, and add the stupid Lebron spectacle on ESPN)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

...so why the NBA losing money?
    The whole darn thing was all about bad management.
    The bottom line, the fans  abandoned the NBA...the buck stops at people's pocket!!! stupid assessment that its something to do with stern's salary.
    The bottom line, the goods he was selling was rotten.
    They don't believed the legitimacy of the new "modern" fraud NBA...period!

oh..fiercy don't tell me to go back to Asia. my parents employed 17 workers until this darn economy went south because of mismanagement by a stupid fraud Harvard.
    So, tell me if your family can contribute to the american society better than this asian immigrant?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Che....thats how its going all over the world, not just here.  I suspect its no better in Asia either.  That 'fraud" Harvard is an institution with billions in assets and is one of the top universities in the world.  Take a step back, and try to take a breath.  Now if you or your family dont like it here, I am sure there are many other countries that are knocking down your door to provide you with unemployment checks and free health care......
    can you sense my sarcasm?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Do you think I don't know that?

I'm not referring the Harvard institution.
    ....a bad apple who went to Harvard that ruined America....a fraud one.
    I don't like that stupid OBAMA not the America that we used to know...time for change!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think I don't know that? I'm not referring the Harvard institution. ....a bad apple who went to Harvard that ruined America....a fraud one. I don't like that stupid OBAMA not the America that we used to know...time for change!
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

Obama went to Columbia.............Harvard Law School - but usually you associate a person with their undergrad work!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]...so why the NBA losing money? The whole darn thing was all about bad management. The bottom line, the fans  abandoned the NBA...the buck stops at people's pocket!!! stupid assessment that its something to do with stern's salary. The bottom line, the goods he was selling was rotten. They don't believed the legitimacy of the new "modern" fraud NBA...period! oh..fiercy don't tell me to go back to Asia. my parents employed 17 workers until this darn economy went south because of mismanagement by a stupid fraud Harvard. So, tell me if your family can contribute to the american society better than this asian immigrant?

Short memory, huh, Che?   Can't remember that the country was in crisis before Obama took office?   Meltdown of the financial markets, country in a recession, Bush tried a bailout that Obama had to continue to keep us from going into a depression.   We have not recovered completely and its going to be a long time before we do, but the problems go way beyond one current President (whether you like him or don't).  This economic situation is worldwide and has started back when housing prices got inflated, Financial Markets took on too many risky investments and the Government turned a blind eye, we went to war (higher spending) at the same time we cut taxes (less income).....and THAT was really smart.  Add that worldwide, Japan, Greece, Italy, and many others were overextended on their debt with no growth in their economies, etc.  Very complicated set of problems not caused by one President's recent actions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NBA Players and Management are a greedy bunch : Short memory, huh, Che?   Can't remember that the country was in crisis before Obama took office?   Meltdown of the financial markets, country in a recession, Bush tried a bailout that Obama had to continue to keep us from going into a depression.   We have not recovered completely and its going to be a long time before we do, but the problems go way beyond one current President (whether you like him or don't).  This economic situation is worldwide and has started back when housing prices got inflated, Financial Markets took on too many risky investments and the Government turned a blind eye, we went to war (higher spending) at the same time we cut taxes (less income).....and THAT was really smart.  Add that worldwide, Japan, Greece, Italy, and many others were overextended on their debt with no growth in their economies, etc.  Very complicated set of problems not caused by one President's recent actions.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

You must not know CHE. He's Mr. Doom and Gloom, never said anything positive about anything. lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

[QUOTE]...so why the NBA losing money? The whole darn thing was all about bad management. The bottom line, the fans  abandoned the NBA...the buck stops at people's pocket!!! stupid assessment that its something to do with stern's salary. The bottom line, the goods he was selling was rotten. They don't believed the legitimacy of the new "modern" fraud NBA...period! oh..fiercy don't tell me to go back to Asia. my parents employed 17 workers until this darn economy went south because of mismanagement by a stupid fraud Harvard. So, tell me if your family can contribute to the american society better than this asian immigrant?

What happened to the 17 goats?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Blaming Stern for the NBA problems is like blaming our President (no matter who he is) for our financial problems.  You cant blame one person.  I think Fierce summed the whole deal up quite eloquently.  The owners are digging their heels in the sand, they have that right, but they better understand they are hurting more than spoiled millionaire players. Who hurts most is usually the same peope in our society...the every day guy who owns the small bar or the vendor outside the game, or the employees at stadiums around the country. You know...the guys and girls who actually work hard for a living.  The players, on the other hand....feel like they are equal partners in the NBA, when they havent put up a DIME of their own money to keep the team or the league alive.  I dont agree with some people who say that without the star players, the league would flop so the players have leverage.  I think, if all the current players went away, and the league signed all those very good college players after graduation, it would stlll be entertaining, and you would see kids working their backsides off to make a name for themselves.  People dont realize how many very good college players never play in the NBA.  It might also end some of the lame duck franchises in the NBA, so the talent pool wouldnt be so watered down.  In a year or two, when all the current crybaby players have gone away, the new studs from college will enter into the NBA draft, and the system has fixed itself. I love watching college hoops as it is, so it would just be an extenstion of that with better players.  The ego's on these players needs to be checked (again, Fierce is EXACTLY right....see the mello deal, and add the stupid Lebron spectacle on ESPN)
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

You are exactly right, the NBA would replinish itself,  fans would get the fever for the new players and it would be competitive.  Imagine if players weren't allowed to move their pivot foot 3-4 ft while pivoting,  players called called for traveling when they traveled,  no players were treated to the foul line everytime they got touched.   I could go for that.

Sections
Shortcuts