Need more scoring off the bench

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Need more scoring off the bench

Either Ray or PP will always be in the floor with the 2nd unit imo.

Youre right about Nate... to date he cant be trusted with the ball or to hit open shots. Last nights steal in the backcourt was nice, then he immediately chucked up a 3..clank.  Frankly, I would have gone nuts if he sunk it.. big momentum boost..  but he missed.. so it became another stupid play by Nate lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

We'll get more scoring when Delonte and Perk comes back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

LOL! That play did leave me a bit ticked. In games like that against the good teams those possessions are crucial. If you're hot you take that shot or take it to the basket. Any other time I would want to run some offense.

I'm not on a Nate rant. I'm just noticing that teams run off 8-10 points when we go to our bench. I'm thinking we need someone that is going to immediately come in look to get to the FT line and create mismatches and score. Vinnie Johnson, McHale, McAdoo. Odom, JR Smith type. This guys sole purpose is to provide offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I think we'll have enough scoring off the bench once everyone is fit again (and I'm not counting on JON). Nate's shot will come back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: Need more scoring off the bench:
    [QUOTE]We'll get more scoring when Delonte and Perk comes back.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that. Delonte plays sort of like Daniels. Sort of passive aggressive.

If you're looking for scoring from Perk you're looking in the wrong place. He'll provide some interior rebounding and defense and a presence in the lane.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondo9Fan. Show RajonRondo9Fan's posts

I really think we should try and trade Little Nate.
    I mean I love the guy but he has a great game on day and then makes you wonder the next.

Then maybe when West comes back, Nate gets put at SG he'll be better then?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think that when nate doesn't have to handle the ball, he'll score a lot more in bunches.  add to that the fact that the team doesn't often utilize marquis daniels in the post and there's unrealized scoring that we can get- low hanging fruit.

daniels needs to make his move quicker in the post.  he scored on richardson and redick rather easily last night.  the second unit could use a steady diet of that. 

so you'll have delonte slashing, daniels posting and nate on the outside and with some drives.  all 3 of those guys would be starters on many teams in the league.  given some time together our 2nd unit scoring should be just fine, right?

and that's not even considering that davis, a decent scorer in his own right, will probably be out there with them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I think you're under rating Delonte as a scorer, but i agree, we need someone who can score coming of the bench. We really need a three point shooter coming of the bench. Ray is the only real consistent 3 point threat on the team!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

If we're expecting West to run the offense, we can't also expect him to be the scorer. He'll take open shots but I think that's putting too much on West. Then when he's shooting and not scoring then fans will be on his case. He's not a reluctant shooter like Rondo but I don't want him in the mindframe to score.

Daniels takes his time in the post because that's just how he plays...slow and methodical. I wouldn't expect him to change now.

Some guys are just natural scorers like PP. I guess I'm thinking of a guy like him that can get points creating, in the paint and command a double team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The Celtics can tweak the roster at the trade deadline. Right now it's too early to say that Perk and Delonte will not increase the Celtics' bench scoring. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

To be honest I think Shaq is getting better. His footwork, agility is getting better. He's not missing bunnies that much anymore. He seems to be getting his legs back. I think Shaq is going to prove that he deserves to start even when Perk returns and that's why we're seeing more production.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Nate, Delonte, Big Baby, Shaq, Wafer, Daniels

All of those guys can score.

Bias,

Shaq won't start if only for the reason that he will not be able to play as many minutes as Perk would. Thats how I see it. He may be better, but he is limited by endurance and age.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Wafer could be that guy if he gets any oportunities ! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Shaq needs to play next to KG and Rondo.... if he goes to the bench, his value will drop imo.  KG helps him alot defensively and Rondo gets him buckets...ez ones at that.

I dont see Perk as a starter be Doc may. Perk doesnt provide much of anything other than a decent defender in the post against most centers.. Hes not a great rebounder and doesnt move his feet very well.  hes lost offensively, sets illegal picks  and, well, u know the rest. Coming off major knee surgery, I dont see him being a huge part of the teams success...

He does give us another good body in the middle that can defend and absorb fouls which will help alot with all the injuries in the middle we have.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The solution to this problem is not an easy one, Bias.  You raise a valid concern because like yesterday, in many games we go from up 8 or 10 to down 2 when the bench comes in (primarily because our bench is playing against 2 or 3 of their starters).

West is passive aggressive and can score but doesn't look to score.  Daniels is a black hole and ALL movement stops when he gets the ball and there's no chance for an offensive rebound because of his slow motion allowing the defense to stand there.   Perk is also not much on offense.  So, the solution has to be for DOC to keep Ray, Paul, or Rondo mixed in with the bench players at all times and hope that Nate and BBD provide some scoring punch (and that the other team's scoring is low due to our defensive posture).   I think Ray or Paul being aggressive while in with the subs will get us through those tough spots in the game.

I'm thinking West, Nate, Paul, Shaq or Perk, and BBD or West, Ray/Nate, Perk, 'Quis.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]To be honest I think Shaq is getting better. His footwork, agility is getting better. He's not missing bunnies that much anymore. He seems to be getting his legs back. I think Shaq is going to prove that he deserves to start even when Perk returns and that's why we're seeing more production.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

if that stays improved we'd be lucky. 

i watched (re-watched on dvr because it caught my eye) shak leg it down the floor a couple times trying to catch up with howard.  his wide open stride each time he really tried to turn it on looked like it was hampered by pain rather than just straight up slowness due to age. 

we have to keep his minutes at 20 or we are asking for trouble

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Shaq needs to play next to KG and Rondo.... if he goes to the bench, his value will drop imo.  KG helps him alot defensively and Rondo gets him buckets...ez ones at that.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

100% agree on that.  if we unplugged shak as starter, he's hardly worth having with this team.

and to further the point, i think shak also helps kg as compared to perkins because they know that shak WILL catch the ball and finish whereas perkins was not consistent.  so, there's much more honest D on shak as compared to perkins, thereby giving KG just a little extra room on the inside and even out to 10 feet to do whatever it is he may be doing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

BiasLewis,

We do have bench that can score. If you are looking for players from the bench that scores like the starters, you will never find such players, and that is why they are called "bench players". They are called "bench players" for a reason. They are not called "starters."

There is no team in the NBA that has bench players who can match their starters in scoring. So what you get from your bench are nothing but bench players. If they can score, defend, and rebound like the starters, then they will not be bench players anymore. They will be starters in other teams. They are indeed called "bench players." They earn bench player's salary, and they earn bench players minutes, so, they are indeed bench players. You don't expect them to do more than they are doing.

If they add more scoring, more defense, and more rebounding to their repertoire, then they will no longer be called "bench players." They will be upgraded to starters position, if not in Boston, in some other teams.

I think Celtics have one of the best bench in the league. They have bench who can score and play defense, and that's all we need. A bench of BBD, Nate, Shaq, DWest, Quis, Wafer, Goddy and Erden, is a solid bench in NBA standard. And that is why we are winning.

Time Will Only Tell

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

If Daniel's becomes more aggressive offensively it would ease some of your worries. He has the ability. I believe we are OK whre we are.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]i think that when nate doesn't have to handle the ball, he'll score a lot more in bunches.  add to that the fact that the team doesn't often utilize marquis daniels in the post and there's unrealized scoring that we can get- low hanging fruit. daniels needs to make his move quicker in the post.  he scored on richardson and redick rather easily last night.  the second unit could use a steady diet of that.  so you'll have delonte slashing, daniels posting and nate on the outside and with some drives.  all 3 of those guys would be starters on many teams in the league.  given some time together our 2nd unit scoring should be just fine, right? and that's not even considering that davis, a decent scorer in his own right, will probably be out there with them.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Yes, but what do you think will be the Celts rotation come playoffs?  I have never seen a 10 deep rotation in the playoffs.  8 is typical with going to 9 sometimes.  So I don't expect to to see Nate and Delonte on the floor at the same time.  And a bench rotation of Delonte, Quis, Baby and Shaq/Perkins is a cause for concern at the offensive end.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Ok all these are fine points.

What bench is better?

Cassell
    Allen
    Posey
    PJ Brown
    One of the Big 3

or

West
    Nate
    Daniels
    BBD
    Perk

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need more scoring off the bench : Yes, but what do you think will be the Celts rotation come playoffs?  I have never seen a 10 deep rotation in the playoffs.  8 is typical with going to 9 sometimes.  So I don't expect to to see Nate and Delonte on the floor at the same time.  And a bench rotation of Delonte, Quis, Baby and Shaq/Perkins is a cause for concern at the offensive end.
    Posted by prakash[/QUOTE]

i know that rotations usually don't go deep.  but we have not had this many starter quality players to fill out the roster before.  west, nate, daniels all started on other teams. 

it's kind of too early to say- jerlam o'kneel looking @ surgery so there may be different pieces here come playoffs in the 4/5 spot.  your lineup above where you fear offensive effectiveness is only 4 guys- normally ray is in there for some of that time and nate is also a scores-in-bunches candidate if he doesn't have to handle the ball. 

i really wouldn't be shocked to see us have a 10 man rotation in the playoffs.  but definitely 9.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Perk, West, Davis, Quis and Nate is probably the best bench in the league.  I wouldn't worry too much about our bench scoring at this point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Ok all these are fine points. What bench is better? Cassell Allen Posey PJ Brown One of the Big 3 or West Nate Daniels BBD Perk

i don't see how this matters at all.  posey was great and now he's totally washed up.  to compare past vs. present like this accomplishes.... ?  i don't know what it's worth to compare these lineups.

cassell largely stank, allen was one dimensional, pj brown barely had enough left to help us.

our current bench lineup is considerably younger and west/nate/daniels represents more of a scoring punch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Ok all these are fine points. What bench is better? Cassell Allen Posey PJ Brown One of the Big 3 or West Nate Daniels BBD Perk

Of course West, Nate, Daniels, BBD, and Perk are better because Cassell is an assistant coach now and PJ Brown retired in 2008. 

Are you still stuck in 2008, Bias?

Sections
Shortcuts