Need more Youth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffreyu679. Show jeffreyu679's posts

Re: Need more Youth

In Response to Re: Need more Youth:
    Doc's back, which cuts both ways. On the one hand, he's the only one who can coach these old guys... and they'll all be back. You don't walk away from that kind of dough and it is a business, after all is said and done. But, there will be no "New Day." Nothing can be done to speed up the team when it's core is so old. Rondo and Green are race horses hitched to mule team.  Like wearing one high heel and one flat, it's a compromise and it won't work. Too good to blow up, but not good enough to win it all. Heart and pride took them much further than could be reasonably expected the past 2 years, but I'm afraid it's over. Rondo gets all the blame, but wouldn't you just love to see him on a team that could run? Half court grinds just expose his weakness and Green's also. Lack of solid rebounding means you can't run. So, expect more of the same... 85 pt. games and 50 wins. That's great, if you're from Cleveland. But I grew up in the 60's and was spoiled rotten very early by Russ, Red and Hondo. The Celtics meant excellence and I do thank Danny Ainge for bringing it all back. But now I want more and it won't be coming. Danny has proven himself to be brave, but he's dealt himself a tough hand.  
    Posted by MrJohnnyMost

Johnny, I agree with your post 100%...  Next year will basically just be a variation of this year, so Doc may as well come back to coach the Big 3.  They'll all be coming back.   The C's won't be able to do any serious rebuilding until the year after when KG and Ray's contracts expire.  So next year will be the "one final round with the Big 3" season until the C's start rebuilding.  However, it will mark the first time in many years that the Celtics will start a season with probably no chance to compete for a championship.  

Regarding DA, he may have dealt himself a tough hand.  But it will still be fun watching to see what moves he makes.  Despite all the Danny haters out there right now, I still think he's an excellent GM that's not afraid to take chances to make the team better.      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Green and Kristic looked like guys who were so worried about where they were supposed to be that they forgot how to just play. Doc seems to do that to guys. Red would have told them, "First, get the ball!" Instead, they're worrying about floor balance and rotations.

Green was running to 3 pt. land to spot up, instead of hitting the glass. I think that's over-learning "the system." The kid was a great rebounder in college. We saw what Bradley was capable of, that one game when he just played. Kristic played well, until he got coached. That's what happens when you get new guys in midseason.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Give the new guys a break...and that includes Kristic..they showed glimpses of what they could provide for this team and most importantly after their last game, they expressed their interest of being Celtics..cant beat that...Give Danny Ainge a break. Good points taken into consideration but whoever thinks there is nothing that can be done is being purely pessimist...As much as we all are GM's wannabes, the guy who has the real job, Ainge, works full time on this and is always in the looks for the pieces that can take this team to the championship level...it did not work out this year, but that was his intent and he did a great job and will continue to look for ways on getting there...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

"Rondo and Green are race horses hitched to mule team."

amen. i am actually excited about the possiblity of seeing a different brand of basketball in boston 2 years from now. the big 3 are boston legends now. but i'd love to see rondo, green and some other young legs running the floor and playing a more up-tempo game. the east has gotten younger and faster, and we've gotta do the same. i'm going to sit back and enjoy the evolution. i'm just glad the lakers won't be getting #17 this year. ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I can't help but feel that Rondo has to go from the Celtics equation.  Doc managed to create a system to maximize Rondo's contribution and blend it with the big 3.  But with dropping contribution from Garnett, time has come to change that.  The other option would be to find a quality center but that is a very unlikely possibility.

It takes two to tango.  But scenarios like Rondo and a sign and trade for Green to Denver for Galinari, Felton and a first round 2012 draft pick should be explored.  Felton's contract will come off the books after 2012, in time for the free agent explorations.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: Need more Youth : I totally agree.
    Posted by Kirk6

Ainge must go after this guy this year. We could have had this guy in the 08 draft. Lets hope Clippers do not lock him down. I also agree with getting a backup PG, especially one who can create his own shot and can shoot jumpers!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Need more Youth : Ainge must go after this guy this year. We could have had this guy in the 08 draft. Lets hope Clippers do not lock him down. I also agree with getting a backup PG, especially one who can create his own shot and can shoot jumpers!
    Posted by CelticFanLA

Deep breath everyone... the NBA is a cycle... good teams stay good until their players get injured or retire then they become bad, they have gotten nothing through the draft... in the mean time the bad teams get good because they are drafting actual talent early in the draft..... the Cs are on the wrong side of this formula...... the only example that violates this premise is the Spurs where David Robinson prolonged a back injury much longer than was warranted and it landed them Duncan.... there are no other examples..... so the Cs are poised to become one of the worst teams in the league.......  there are those of you that are under the assumption that once Joe Montana goes there is a Steve Young waiting... avery Bradley is waiting......  when the Big 3 went around 1990 the Cs became the laughing stock until they added a couple of top 10 picks (Pierce and Walker) then they were good enough to compete but not enough to win and too good to get better through the draft.... this problem will be compounded by the new CBA... so just accept it... we can all buy tickets to see the Thunder, Bulls, Heat, etc. like other cities that buy tickets to see good teams even though their team really s ucks...... just get used to it.

p.s. why is it that a point guard that can shoot and create his own shot be a back up?  IMO it would take 2 preseason games to see that Jeff Teague is better than Rondo and relegate Rondo to the bench.... perhaps the best backup in the league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

not sure how we'd manage to get teague away from atlanta.

and as for our long drought before the big 3, you're fogetting a few things: a pair of
    unfortunate deaths, some poor drafting, some trading away of very good players (billup, johnson), and the pitino/ML carr era.

Sections
Shortcuts