New "NBA" Rebuild Plan - thinking ahead of 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenmuse. Show greenmuse's posts

New "NBA" Rebuild Plan - thinking ahead of 2012

This plan envisions a more restrictive upcoming CBA and all teams will need to be making salary adjustments and players will be receiving smaller and shorter contracts over the next 2-3 yrs, so why not get a jump start on the coming chaos.
    Step 1 - Send JON and his expiring/retiring contract to Dallas for B Haywood
    Cuban's pocket will have limitations under the new CBA and they need to resign Butler, Chandler and Barea as well as reduce salary.
    Step 2; Make the folowing trade involving Boston, Memphis and Denver (salaries reflect negoitiated figures within the confines of the trade process and asumes that signed players will carry their existing contract forward)

Boston receives M. Gasol (7.0), R. Felton (7.5) and W. Chandler (4.0)

Denver receives R. Rondo (10.0) and J Green (6.0) both thriving under G Karl's system especially Green who is better fitted for Western style offence than East coast. I am assuming Denver resigns JR Smith.

Memphis receives B. Haywood (7.6), D. Galinari(4.1) and A. Afflalo (4.0) or another player/cash/draft pick in lieu of Afflalo. 
    This trade appears to satisfy trade rules of matching up within 125% and 100K reqmnts.

Step 3 Celtics resign D. West (1.6), V. Wafer (1.6) and Kristic (2.5)- about 1/2 current salary.

Step 4 Do a S&T with New Orleans - BBD (4.0) and C. Landry (4.0) ie sending BBD home.

Step 5 2011 draft - N. Smith (#?), J. Harper (#25), V. Macklin  (#55) or comparables. This means we will have to purchase another 1st round pick which I believe will be available more cheaply than past drafts because of its perceived weakness. You have to acknowledge that you are getting un-developed players but who have skill sets that can contribute, think needed skill sets and potential that may not be available in the vet min FA "crumbs" player stock. Taking a line from the Patriots - "Value picks"
    Possible picks to target (Min #20 (do they need anaother young role player?) OKC #24 (I think they owe us!) or CHI #28 or #30 - again they owe us a favor for T. Tibs.

Step 6 - Take a Bi-annual MLE flier (if they are still part of the CBA) on J Howard or A Thornton.

To finalize the rebuild we have 2012 draft and $31.2M coming off the books in 2012, we've just got a jump start on the "new' NBA

End result is:
    PG R. Felton, D West, A. Bradley (another year to see what he can do)
    SG R. Allen, V. Wafer, N. Smith
    SF Pierce, W. Chandler, Josh Howard
    PF KG, C Landry, J. Harper
    C M. Gasol, Kristic, V. Macklin 

go Celtics - "championship driven" 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Re: New "NBA" Rebuild Plan - thinking ahead of 2012

All of those moves are extremely short sighted.  If you ask me, I say the best case scenario for us would be to do the following:

1.) Trade Rondo ($10,045,545), Green ($5,908,641), and the Clippers 2012 first rounder to the Hornets for Chris Paul ($16,559,805) even if the deal has to be expanded to a 3 team-type of trade.  This deal benefits us by allowing us to acquire a point guard who can give us equal production to that of Rondo while giving us the scoring and high shooting percentages from FG, 3PT, FT as Ray Allen without taking on additional salary.  For the Hornets, they are faced with having to re-sign David West in the off-season, which will eat up any potential cap space that they thought they might have.  Paul has been rumored to be looking for the way out of New Orleans since last year, so clearly the Hornets need to try and get something now or risk potentially losing him for nothing. 

2.) Re-sign Allen and KG under low money deals (in 2012) as in $2-3 mil/yr each with the idea that they, along with Pierce will be super-subs off the bench.

3.)  Sign Dwight Howard or if this fails trade for Al Jefferson.  Considering that under the scenario mentioned above with Paul at PG, Doc signed to coach for 5 more seasons, and the big three coming off the bench, not to mention enough cap space to sign two premier free agents, I think that this would be enough to lure Howard.  Normally I don't think he'd consider Boston, but if things were to go exactly as I just laid out, I don't think any other team could make as strong of a pitch for Howard to chase a championship realistically.

4.) Although we'd technically have the cap space to sign another elite free agent in 2012, I'd instead use the cash to spend on veteran free agents trying to chase a ring in order to fill out the roster and to rotate in/out of the lineup with Allen, KG, and Pierce.

There is no quick fix towards keeping this team elite for the forseable future other than to be patient, be willing to take our lumps during next season, then swing for the fences in 2012/13.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: New "NBA" Rebuild Plan - thinking ahead of 2012:
    In Response to Re: New "NBA" Rebuild Plan - thinking ahead of 2012 : The Celts have a shot at Dwight in 2012. Very few teams have the cap space to give Dwight the max money and enough cap space to surround Dwight with other great players. Don't forget the Celts officially only have Pierce and Rondo under contract for the 2012-13 season. If you watched the Celtics in the 1990s you know it's not a good idea to try to become a middle of the pack team. Trying to make the playoffs every year but really have no shot at winning a championship is worse than being a lottery team. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

Howard may be traded this year.  I could see the Lakers involved in a trade for Dwight this year.  Not sure who Orlando would want, but I suppose it is possible that this trade could happen. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: New "NBA" Rebuild Plan - thinking ahead of 2012 : If you're talking about a Andrew Bynum for Dwight swap that's never going to happen. I don't think the Orlando Magic are really that stupid. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

You may be right, but that would be the only way that Howard ends up in LA.  You can understand why NBA players want to play in LA.  I have never lived in LA, but after being their on vacation a couple of times, I can understand why people enjoy living in LA.  I have lived in Boston most of my life, but don't really like the cold weather and would enjoy living anywhere where it is warm. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

The celtics tried to keep tony allen by offering the same contract that memphis did, but at that point it was too late, as allen saw a brighter future for himself with the grizz.  Both of you make good points and with rameakap's scenario I think we would be much better than a "middle of the pack" team.  We would contend for the title.  Baron Davis was once an elite pg and is good friends with pierce, so I think he would bust his a** to get into great shape with a championship in reach.  Yes there will be teams with younger superstars at the wing, but with kg, kaman, Varejao, JO and possibly shaq(signs w team late in year) we would dominate the middle.  We would also be very strong at pg with rondo and davis who would keep the defense honest. Its not like our wing players wouldn't be able to hold their own with ray, west, pierce and green.  If this was the team this year we would have been in the finals.  Knowing how much the big three push themselves to stay in shape and with the "possible" acquisitions listed by Rameakap, I believe the big three would have fresh legs for the 2012 playoffs.  However, if you can trade rondo, green and draft pick for chris paul then you go in that direction as there would then be a good chance to get howard.  The big three could then resign for cheap, make several title runs, and retire in green.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

As long as we are talking possibilities.....

I am unclear on the amnesty proposal in the new CBA under discussion.  It allows teams to wipe out one contract while still paying the player.  The teams can do this today by just releasing the player.  So I have to assume that the new proposal will allow the teams to keep the player while not counting his salary towards the cap.

So here are the series of steps I hope for/ wish for/ propose:

1)  The Celts wipe out Paul Pierce's contract as soon as the new CBA is in place.  That allows them to have massive cap space in 2012.
    2)  Trade the Clips first rounder in 2012 for a top 5 pick this year.  After all, everybody is saying that this draft sucks while 2012 will be stellar.  So a later lottery pick next year should be worth an early pick this year.  Also, the new CBA will definitely be restricting rookie salaries as well.
    3)  Leverage the restrictions imposed by the new CBA to sign Jeff Green to a reasonable deal.
    4)  Sign Kristic to a 1-year deal as insurance.  Looks like the new CBA will disallow sign-and-trade.  That means that Baby trade scenarios will not be workable.
    5)  Attempt a trade for Chris Kaman with Kristic and Sheed's contract.
    6)  Draft a quality big man with the lottery pick and roster fillers with second round pick.
    7)  In 2012, convince Ray and KG to play for minimum (aka Shaq).  Use that lure to sign a big time free agent or sign multiple free agents.

This keeps the hopes alive for this year while keeping the cap space for 2012 and beyond.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

In Response to Re: New "NBA" Rebuild Plan - thinking ahead of 2012 : Rondo will never become a superstar until he improves his FT shooting and becomes decent outside shooter. It's been 5 years and Rondo has yet to shoot 70% from the stripe and opponents are still leaving him open when he's on the perimeter.  Jeff Green has never averaged more than 16.0 ppg when he was a starter with OKC. Even when he was playing 37 minutes per game in OKC his best scoring average was just 16.5 ppg. It remains to be seen if Jeff Green can become an All-Star or close to being an All-Star player. Right now Jeff Green is just the 2nd coming of Derrick McKey. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

We;ve seen in this series what a crappy distributer Westbrook is...  He just doesn't pass the ball.   Do you think that maybe has something to do with why Green has had trouble scoring in the 20s

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Step 1. Ainge and boston never made a trade that amounted to anything unless they were gifted it by McFale.
    Step 2. 20+ years of boston insignificance proves I'm right.
    Step 3. The only tradable commodity is a pg who can't hit a barndoor from 3 feet.
    Step 4. Boston is a horrible place to live particularly in the winter. Get used to the fact that unless McFale lands the Rockets job, no one of any talent wants to play in beantown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In Response to Re: New "NBA" Rebuild Plan - thinking ahead of 2012 : Rondo will never become a superstar until he improves his FT shooting and becomes decent outside shooter. It's been 5 years and Rondo has yet to shoot 70% from the stripe and opponents are still leaving him open when he's on the perimeter.  Jeff Green has never averaged more than 16.0 ppg when he was a starter with OKC. Even when he was playing 37 minutes per game in OKC his best scoring average was just 16.5 ppg. It remains to be seen if Jeff Green can become an All-Star or close to being an All-Star player. Right now Jeff Green is just the 2nd coming of Derrick McKey. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

Point well taken.  I will add a few considerations while digressing from the original nature of your discussion.

Rondo's problems are mental.  Supposedly, he does OK in practice but he is not able to bring it to the game.  Also, he is young.  But very competitive.  We can hope that he will be able to overcome his inhibition and improve.  After all Jason Kidd has become a decent shooter after being abysmal most of his career.  I expect Rondo to make some serious strides growing up this off season.

I am not very high on Jeff Green.  But I also note that he has played out of position his whole career until recently.  There was no real room for him to play 3 in OKC.  He is not a 4.  I am hoping that he will discover his game at 3, given an opportunity in Boston.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

. The Celts didn't get KG and Ray when the Celtics were a playoff team, the Celts got Ray and KG when the Celts were the 2nd worst team in the NBA in the 2006-07 season.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Wasn't that a ripper!!

Unless McFale gets the Rockets job, you celt fans can expect another 20+ years of dismal failure!

Sections
Shortcuts