New NBA Flopping Rules - Celtics Players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: New NBA Flopping Rules - Celtics Players

This  does not help the refs if it's enforced AFTER the fact - wow, is your basketball IQ limited!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

You are, as usual, just being stubborn and failing to see the big picture.  If they just called the block charge rule correctly, the game would be better.  If they gave out Technical fouls for guys whacking their wrists every time they miss a shot,  OR, if DWade would get called once for falling down like he's been shot every time he misses a shot, that would be a major deterrent.  The fact is, the rules are already there, always have been.  The refs are too intimidated to make the call when it matters, and when anyone cares, so the NBA thinks that by enforcing it after the fact will matter - it won't. 

Just call the game the right way, the first time, and it will get better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

These changes have nothing to do with charging calls under the basket, where the rule is quite clear, and the refs do an altogether good job in getting the call right.  (The ones where they don't are usually because their sightlines are obstructed and whether a player is on or over the line is unclear.)  If the contact isn't head-on or "in the chest," they usually don't call it. 

Flopping is something altogether different from what BBD used to do. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In basketball, flopping is the art of a defensive player intentionally falling after little or no physical contact with an offensive player in order to draw a charging foul by an official against the offensive player.[1] The move is sometimes called acting, as in "acting like he was fouled". Because it is inherently designed to deceive the official, flopping is generally considered to be unsportsmanlike. Nonetheless, it is widely practiced and even perfected by many great professional players.

I say block-charge falls into this category - feel free to disgree.........................

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to TommyRules' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Flopping is not just on charge/block calls.

It is offensive players driving through the lane and as soon as they get touched, they throw their head back (Paul Pierce) like they were assaulted.

Flopping can be when someone falsl down from minimal conduct.

Flailing of the arms can also be flopping.

Flopping has made game nuch harder for referees.

Why wouldn't people want the league to have their back and help them after the fact with flopping.

Once the flops start getting to $30,000 per occurance, then the acting/flopping will change big time.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for rehashing what I said about 10 mins ago - flopping has been around since long before the Bad Boys of Detroit.  Bill Laimbeer was one of the true "artists" of the flop.

It is harder for the refs to call because it is not called properly.

IF they set the tone at the beginning of the game, the flopping would stop DURING THE GAME.  Never having the played any sport yourself, you wouldn't get that, and if you think you know more about this subject than me, then you are crazy!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

When I think of flopping I think of Vlade Divac.  That said, there shouldn't be a penalty of any sort for the players.  The referee's just need to do their damn job.  Maybe the league should think about penalizing the ref's for bad calls and none calls.  That would probably clean the game up a little faster. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

That does not help during the games -  the problem is during the games.  Perhaps they could use the replay (NOT)......And I maintain the refs set the tone, not the league.  They are all well-trained, they just need to call it properly............and based on your history, I do not belive your last statement at all!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

It doesn't help after the fact as much as you would think.  I bet 100% of the NBA players would try to flop at the end of a game to get a win.  If they succeed, the penalty is too late, the W is already in the standings.  There wasn't as much in the past (early 80's) because the ref's didn't put up with that crap.  It is on the refs.  It is their job to call it how they see it and if they can't see it, converse with the other refs to get the call right.  The key is to get the call right during the game, when it matters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to red2004sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It doesn't help after the fact as much as you would think.  I bet 100% of the NBA players would try to flop at the end of a game to get a win.  If they succeed, the penalty is too late, the W is already in the standings.  There wasn't as much in the past (early 80's) because the ref's didn't put up with that crap.  It is on the refs.  It is their job to call it how they see it and if they can't see it, converse with the other refs to get the call right.  The key is to get the call right during the game, when it matters.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly - what do they care if they get the win?  30K is nothing to these guys, and they are just going to appeal them anyway.  The time to do something about them is DURING the games!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]

It helps in future games.

Players will take this seriously.

If a player gets 2 $30,000 flopping fines in the same game, don't you think they will stop?

I think their wives wil ltell them that they better stop that foolish flopping...

Being a 6'5" white male who had little leaping ability and didn't have very good handle, I had no chance at being an effective Div 1 college player. Players were just more gifted then me. Nothing I could do about it, so I never worried about it. In today's college recruiting, I would probably be a Div 2 player.

Knew you were lying.............problem is - I don't believe the above, either!!  Why don't you go root for the Pacers?  Then maybe a SHRED of what you've ever written will be true!!

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Tommy,I'm shocked you didn't play NBA ball.  I mean from your picture, you have really long damn legs and if you can touch the top of the washington monument, you should certainly be able to dunk the ball from the 3 point line.  I'd draft you!?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly - what do they care if they get the win?  30K is nothing to these guys, and they are just going to appeal them anyway.  The time to do something about them is DURING the games!!

[/QUOTE]

$30,000 is nothing for the top players but it is a big deal for most of the league.

A $1m player will take home about $500k after federal, state and local taxes.

They might be able to appeal but that will mean nothing.

You are naive if you think this won't drastically reduce the amount of flopping that is in the league.

[/QUOTE]

Do you think Darko will murder anyone that dares to flop if he gets called for a charge?  Does that  thought frighten you?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

redsox2004, no I wasn't anywhere near NBA material.

My avatar is of one of my favorite NBA players, Manute Bol.

[/QUOTE]

How do you think Darko would try and murder Manute Bol if he had the chance?  When you picture yourself being Manute Bol and terrified that Darko would kill you, how do you think he would do it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

How many league min players play at the end of a game?  Zero!  Dumb comment Tommy, your better than that.  Refs are responsible for how the game is run, not the players.  Will penalizing the players help, yes.  But it doesn't come close to solving it.  They fine for flagrent fouls and it still happens.  Your just putting a bandaid on the issue.  Nothing wrong with holding the refs accountable for doing their jobs.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Has fining for flagrant fouls reduced the number of flagrants called each year??  Notice, those are called and enforced DURING the game.  They are REVIEWED after the game, and sometimes reduced.

Do you think if they doubled the penalities for players getting "T"s during games, the amount of technicals would decrease?

Who's the naive one here??

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Snake, I think he would back track up behind him and snap his neck.  Like a ninja...........  or Elmer Fudd!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]

How many league min players play at the end of a game?  Zero!  Dumb comment Tommy, your better than that.  Refs are responsible for how the game is run, not the players.  Will penalizing the players help, yes.  But it doesn't come close to solving it.  They fine for flagrent fouls and it still happens.  Your just putting a bandaid on the issue.  Nothing wrong with holding the refs accountable for doing their jobs.

[/QUOTE]

NO, he really isn't!!  You dared to challenge a comment and disagree with him, and now you must pay (so to speak).  He will twist and spin until he's convinced himself he's right.  Kind of sad, really................but knowing him, an insult will follow, you will respond and he will win.  Having fallen for it myself many times, I say good luck to you.

What you wrote about the refs, I do agree with, though.  100% accurate!!

Sections
Shortcuts