New Power Rankings Prediction...Celtics # 8

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

New Power Rankings Prediction...Celtics # 8

My opinion is that the new rankings should be:

1. Lakers 2.  Spurs  3. Bulls  4. Heat 

5. Mavs  6. Thunder 7. Magic  8. Celtics

Let me first say so I don't be accused of being a Laker troll that I'm a 72 year old Boston teams fan since the Cousy/Sharman days. Born in Maine/21 years there but SF bay area past 45 years. We hate LA teams & have rivalry like Boston-NY. But, the fact remains that LA & Bull's records since Allstar break are 14-1 and 12-3 respectively.

Our biggest problem going forward is that being a jump shooting team, if we shoot 50% we can win. But with Rondo's poor shooting %, other teams don't guard him closely and almost have 5 men to guard our remaining 4. We have very little under the paint presence. If BB were 2-3 inches taller, he would give it to us but Garnett, our 7 footer, is mostly a jump shooter. The history of our teams dominating were with power in the paint coupled with a couple of good outside shooters & some too who could drive to the basket.  I remember in Cousy days Ed Macauley and then we got rights to Russell by trading him & Bill along with Heinsohn & Nelson were very effective then we had, albeit a power forward, a guy who played center, Dave Cowens & PF Cedric Maxwell. Then sadly, I recall our last real extended domination with Bird, Parish, McHale & even Bill Walton under the boards.

We are getting out rebounded & not driving to the basket, out shot at the foul line. Don't want to bring up old wounds as I'm still smarting from game 7 loss in LA wth disparity in foul shots but the Lakers shot even a lower % than us but dominated in rebounds so had extra chances.  I'm so pessimistic these days I feel that may have been our last chance for # 18 for a few years.

WE MUST GET SHAQ BACK TO HAVE A CHANCE, AND ALTHOUGH NOT AS CRITICAL, JON TOO AS SHAQ WILL PROBABLY FOUL OUT. WE NEED SOME "D" IN THE PAINT AND SOME OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS TOO WHEN OUR JUMPS SHOTS ARE NOT FALLING. BUT SHAQ CAN PASS IT OUT AGAIN OR MUSCLE A DUNK (PERK COULD BUT HE COULDN'T HOLD ON TO THE BALL).

OK, MEA CULPA, IF YOU FIND TEAR DROPS ALL OVER THIS POST BUT THIS IS HOW I SEE THE SITUATION AND OUR TEAM NOW.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Re: New Power Rankings Prediction...Celtics # 8

In Response to New Power Rankings Prediction...Celtics # 8:
    My opinion is that the new rankings should be 1. Lakers 2. Spurs 3. Bulls  4. Heat 5. Mavs  6. Thunder 7. Magic 8. Celtics Let me first say so I don't be accused of being a Laker troll that I'm a 72 year old Boston teams fan since the Cousy/Sharman days. Born in Maine/21 years there but SF bay area past 45 years. We hate LA teams & have rivalry like Boston-NY. But, the fact remains that LA & Bull's records since Allstar break are 14-1 and 12-3 respectively. Our biggest problem going forward is that being a jump shooting team, if we shoot 50% we can win. But with Rondo's poor shooting %, other teams don't guard him closely and almost have 5 men to guard our remaining 4. We have very little under the paint presence. If BB were 2-3 inches taller, he would give it to us but Garnett, our 7 footer, is mostly a jump shooter. The history of our teams dominating were with power in the paint coupled with a couple of good outside shooters & some too who could drive to the basket.  I remember in Cousy days Ed Macauley and then we got rights to Russell by trading him & Bill along with Heinsohn & Nelson were very effective then we had, albeit a power forward, a guy who played center, Dave Cowens & PF Cedric Maxwell. Then sadly, I recall our last real extended domination with Bird, Parish, McHale & even Bill Walton under the boards. We are getting out rebounded & not driving to the basket, out shot at the foul line. Don't want to bring up old wounds as I'm still smarting from game 7 loss in LA wth disparity in foul shots but the Lakers shot even a lower % than us but dominated in rebounds so had extra chances.  I'm so pessimistic these days I feel that may have been our last chance for # 18 for a few years. WE MUST GET SHAQ BACK TO HAVE A CHANCE , AND ALTHOUGH NOT AS CRITICAL, JON TOO AS SHAQ WILL PROBABLY FOUL OUT. WE NEED SOME "D" IN THE PAINT AND SOME OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS TOO WHEN OUR JUMPS SHOTS ARE NOT FALLING. BUT SHAQ CAN PASS IT OUT AGAIN OR MUSCLE A DUNK (PERK COULD BUT HE COULDN'T HOLD ON TO THE BALL). OK, MEA CULPA, IF YOU FIND TEAR DROPS ALL OVER THIS POST BUT THIS IS HOW I SEE THE SITUATION AND OUR TEAM NOW.  
    Posted by mandobello

Mando, I share your pain and frustration 100%.  I started watching the Celtics right before the '84 playoffs, and when we FINALLY became relevant again in '07-08 after 22 years, I breathed a sigh of relief.  Right now we are playing like a team that doesn't care - that has either already given up or just assumes it will have a red carpet walk all the way to #18 once the playoffs begin.  Either way it's heartbreaking after the past 3+ years, not to mention what we had to go through for the previous 2 decades.

By the way.... LOVE your photo!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I don't really care about the Power Rankings.  They are really meaningless once the playoffs start.  Sometimes the best teams are ranked poorly.  I stopped taking them seriously a while ago. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In Response to Re: New Power Rankings Prediction...Celtics # 8:
    I don't really care about the Power Rankings.  They are really meaningless once the playoffs start.  Sometimes the best teams are ranked poorly.  I stopped taking them seriously a while ago. 
    Posted by susan250

They're meaningless at any time. Just another thing that can keep the talking heads on the networks occupied.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

ARE YOU GUYS NOT "SEEING THE FOREST FOR THE TRESS" ???

To those who say Power Rankings are meaningless. I agree. The title & my opinion of the 8th ranking took up about 1/10th of the post. In fact, I believe we are actually # 3 after the Spurs & Lakers. Again, means little but how about commenting on the rest of the post re: Need for some strength under the paint for "D" and rebounding---offensive too to get ball out when our jump shooters are not hitting 50+ or to muscle the ball for a dunk.

I reiterate that we must have SHAQ & JON TOO OR WE ARE TOAST GOING FORWARD. WE CAN'T ESPECIALLY BE EXPECTED TO SHOOT JUMP SHOTS AT 50% WHEN THERE'S AN EXTRA DEFENDER WHO GAMBLES & LETS RONDO SHOOT FREELY AS HIS % IS LOW.  WOULD TREMENDOUSLY HELP RONDO TOO BEING ABLE TO RIFLE A PASS TO A BIGGIE UNDER THE BASKET FOR A DUNK !!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Means nothing!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Means nothing!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

Although, I'm sure many have used the phrase to motivate their teams, I believe it was Vince Lombardi who originated " Show me a loser and I'll show you a
    loser ".

I already agree that Power Ranking mean little except they are a reflection of how a team is playing and we are playing lousy now and I agree last year we were too before the playoffs and then turned it on. But we had Perk and as I've said above, unless we get Shaq & even JON back, we have little chance to do the "D" we did last year.

Here's a couple of other quotes from Lombardi that could apply to the unimportance of our team not winning now:

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."

" If you can accept losing, you can't win."

AMEN !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beat-Boston. Show Beat-Boston's posts

one title in 25 years.....that tells it all.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: New Power Rankings Prediction...Celtics # 8 : Although, I'm sure many have used the phrase to motivate their teams, I believe it was Vince Lombardi who originated " Show me a loser and I'll show you a loser ".   I already agree that Power Ranking mean little except they are a reflection of how a team is playing and we are playing lousy now and I agree last year we were too before the playoffs and then turned it on. But we had Perk and as I've said above, unless we get Shaq & even JON back, we have little chance to do the "D" we did last year. Here's a couple of other quotes from Lombardi that could apply to the unimportance of our team not winning now: "Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."   " If you can accept losing, you can't win."   AMEN !!!
    Posted by mandobello

I believe it was Red!

Sections
Shortcuts