New Strategy For Next Season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

New Strategy For Next Season.

Maybe getting 5-8 seed wouldn't be bad if we strategically rest the older players, and actually stick to that plan (rather than lose close games and waste needed energy when our players are disinterested). One reason to do this is to draw the Heat or Bulls early in the playoffs. If you knock either one off, the playoff bracket is all sorts of broken and any team could emerge in a shortened season. Another reason to do it is out of necessity; the old guys are playing in a stop gap year. The third reason is to acquire good position in what could be the most loaded draft since 2003. We always seem to peak in the first third of the season, and I think that if we work the 2010 strategy, it might be our best chance of winning another title.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Re: New Strategy For Next Season.

With the team as is, the Celtics have a slim chance of winning the championship next season. When the big 3 were first signed, people were saying that they had a 3 year window to win a championship. They won 1, lost a game 7 the third year and got ousted in year 2 due to K.G's injury. I hate to admit it, but Miami handled the Celtics in the playoffs. They won in 5 if I recall correctly.
        The big 3 are long in the tooth now. Next year will be a fun season. The C's do have a chance next season, but their chances gets slimmer each year the big 3 get older. They don't have any salary cap space. All they have to spend of any significance is the mid-level exception.  Maybe Ainge can persuade a real good player to take the mid level salary. We'll see, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
         After next season it's rebuilding time. That will be another reason to be excited as possibly a new era may be in the making.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

Depending on what Ainge does in next week's draft, the Celts could be in a new era as soon as this coming season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I dont think Miami really handled us so much as we were down 2 starters (Shaq & Rondo) and our roster was still trying to find its way...

that and Lebrons very hot hand from 3 point land late in games buried us. Add to that the inconsistency of our Big 3,,,, but it may have been a much longer series if not for Wades demolition of Rondos elbow and Lebrons unusual , out of character, performance from behind the 3 line, off balance and fading away.

We certainly cant rely upoin the Big3 to deliver on a consistent basis or that they'll remain injury free or return from injury quickly

I think we could pace ourselves, cut down minutes on the old guys and set up for a playoff run, we'd have a 30% shot if we found someone to play center. BUt even this is unlikely cause Doc has proven he doesnt do what he always swears he will do... that is to limit the Big 3 minutes.  Hes said it every season but he hasnt followed thru... I think its hurt us alot in the long run

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

In Response to Re: New Strategy For Next Season.:
    [QUOTE]I dont think Miami really handled us so much as we were down 2 starters (Shaq & Rondo) and our roster was still trying to find its way... that and Lebrons very hot hand from 3 point land late in games buried us. Add to that the inconsistency of our Big 3,,,, but it may have been a much longer series if not for Wades demolition of Rondos elbow and Lebrons unusual , out of character, performance from behind the 3 line, off balance and fading away. We certainly cant rely upoin the Big3 to deliver on a consistent basis or that they'll remain injury free or return from injury quickly I think we could pace ourselves, cut down minutes on the old guys and set up for a playoff run, we'd have a 30% shot if we found someone to play center. BUt even this is unlikely cause Doc has proven he doesnt do what he always swears he will do... that is to limit the Big 3 minutes.  Hes said it every season but he hasnt followed thru... I think its hurt us alot in the long run
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE

Couldnt agree more , looking back on it i still feel the Bulls and a healthy Celts team should have beat the Heat. The Celts were just to bang ed up , out of sorts , tired and still need a 4th qr makeover. The last point is what killed the Heat in the finals. And this isnt the first time weve heard this story from them , the 4th qr O has hurt us before. I actually had the Bulls beating the Heat in that series and  again looking back i still say they just need to punch them a little harder and they would fold. The Bulls are very close to becoming world beaters , Rose is on another planet. Much like the last main man in Chitown hes doing it alone. Hes obviously not MJ and needs more help imo. Boozer , injury-ridden or not was horrible and i really believe their a +average guy at the 4 spot away from holding up the prize. As much as i really dont like the Heat i can be very objective about them. I always said they once they put an actually team together it could be over for 4-5 years. I really never understood why Wade and James wanted to play together considering how much they need the ball in their hands. Iv always contended that James in a man without a position. They guy wants to do everything at once , that he doesnt fit into one role. I think James is Pip 3.0 and should play up that role for the remainder of his career. And like Pip i would have him bring up the ball on most of the plays , the ball will always be in his hand and at the end of games it will be Lebron creating as opposed to Lebron hitting the game winner with 14 sec's left. James isnt content with doing one thing , he wants to be involved id let him. Hes going to score 25+ wherever you put him his scoring wont be a problem. The Heat need to get rid of Bosh is deserves everything coming his way , he is to soft. And when you talk about their 4th qr problems Bosh deserves a big chunk of the blame. I actually think he gets away to easy bc James/Wade are such big names. No denying James choke job in the 4th qr in the finals. But Bosh's boards/pts went down in key moments and was nowhere to be found when they needed him. I said onced they signed he would be gone in 2 years and still think they will get rid of him. I would get rid of Bibby , Miller as well. If they like Joel then keep him but you could def. upgrade there as well. Then you have Howard who could and will change they game in some shape or form depending where he goes. Howard has his faults no doubt. Hes not Shaq , Wilt , Kareem etc , hes not going to give you 25+ and carry you that way. But make no mistake about it the guy is a force. If he goes to a place where hes not asked to be the man O then we could be looking at another superpower. Orlando knows hes leaving if they dont make a huge improvement this year. If i were Chi i would offer everyone except Rose/Deng. If you have a team that has a guy to guard James , absolutely dominate the paint in Howard with an unguardable Rose ...wow. LOL There are worse senerios to ponder. If the Magic dont trade him , NY could make a serious offer next year with no Big Shot $ on the books. They could and will find they room. They would be the 2nd team to have 3 top 15 players. The Mavs could afford him next year and have the guys to clear some space with. Their an old team that make room just as easy this year especially coming of a ring. They could trade many guys and their fans will def. give them a off year. The Celts need to have some plan in the works bc the East is a Beast right now.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

kg's minutes last season were AVG 31.3 minutes per game. ray allen being the oldest of the big 3 was highest at 36 and PP at 34.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]FYI guys, the Celts averaged 38.6 rpg in 2010 and 38.8 rpg in 2011. When was the last time an NBA team averaging less than 40 rebounds per game won a championship? MJ was the last player at age 35 to lead his team to a Finals victory. Bird and Magic couldn't do it. What makes you think a 36-year old Ray Allen and a 35-year old KG can do what Bird and Magic couldn't do?
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

We need to make it fun next year, then get TWO FA's in 2012 - Ray, KG and JON all off the books, that's  32 mill by my calculations!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

Its re-tool a little bit with what we have , try and stay healthy and make another run. Forget the excuses the Heat got us at bad time. Tired , shulking from the trade , Rondo playing with one wing. The team was out of sorts at the end last year. Doc should stick with what he preaches and rest the big 3 for real min's. this team can beat anyone in the NBA when healthy , theres just no debate about that. Put this team in a 7 game series , mostly healthy and they can play with anyone. We know this so why not rest our guys here and there until mid/late Feb , get our squad str8 , rotation set and make one last run with this team. Stop letting KG play trainer/doc. and rest him when he needs rest. If we dont have him at close to full strength its so hard to win bc of the min's he plays , same could be said for PP. A couple other things to look at , were going to need other help even if its not a big trade. The second is a must , we need to fix our 4th qr O. Its not the first time weve heard this before. The Heat just choked away the title in the 4th qr. Its a problem and needs to be addressed , fixed if we want different results. If the current landscape stays the same , were in decent shape. I mean Howard is the x factor here and we need to pray , hope , w/e that he stays and signs hopefully with us in 2012. If he goes to a Chi , NY , LA etc. it could be over for a while. Its clear Howard cant do it on his own being the number one guy on both ends. Put him on a team , say ... Chicago with Rose. I could see them winning 2-3 titles in 5 years. Absolutely nobody can guard Rose for 48. Nobody cant keep Howard for the glass. Think about the attention Rose already gets going to the paint , right where Howard makes his living.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]Forget the Age Stat ... that's negative thinking! Here are two positive stats for our over the hill gang that matter: 13.2 pts /> The Celtics outscored their opponents by 13.2 points per 48 minutes when their four All-Stars were on the floor together, 13.1 in the regular season and 13.7 in the playoffs. 48.6% /> The Celtics led the league in field-goal percentage, but were the worst offensive rebounding team in the league and had the seventh highest turnover ratio. Fix the rebounding and turnovers and this Over-The-Hill-Gang can bring home the bacon.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

Once again the pea brain in you is showing. In 2008, 2009, and 2010 the Celtics had the same starting 5, but how come in 2010 the rebounding averaged dropped from 42 per game in 2008 and 2009 to 38 per game? 

You're delusional if you think there is no drop off in performance after the age of 32.

The Celtics averaged 15.2 turnovers per game in 2008, 15.6 in 2009, 14.9 in 2010, and 14.6 in 2011. Turnovers is nothing new to this bunch. They even won a championship in 2008 averaging 15 per. Sure the Celtics can improve in this department, but it's not the reason why they lost to the Heat.

Fierce has a point, what makes you think KG, PP, and Ray can do what Larry and Magic couldn't do? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]Forget the Age Stat ... that's negative thinking! Here are two positive stats for our over the hill gang that matter: 13.2 pts /> The Celtics outscored their opponents by 13.2 points per 48 minutes when their four All-Stars were on the floor together, 13.1 in the regular season and 13.7 in the playoffs. 48.6% /> The Celtics led the league in field-goal percentage, but were the worst offensive rebounding team in the league and had the seventh highest turnover ratio. Fix the rebounding and turnovers and this Over-The-Hill-Gang can bring home the bacon.

My bad. You're the same fool that bet on Anthony Tolliver having better numbers than BBD last season. No wonder you think age isn't a big factor when it comes to performance in professional basketball. LOL

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]The Rebounding issue: "Leon Powe was the best rebounder in their rotation in 08-09', grabbing 17.3 percent of available boards when he was on the floor." Injured and not a factor in 09-10'... In 09-10' Wallace spent more time on the perimeter and KG while rebounding at the same rate on OR's as 08-09' had a drop off on DR's most attributed to his injury not his age. "Davis had been a much better rebounder in 09-10' than he was in 08-09' (17.0 vs. 11.4 percent), but he got limited games through the end of 09'. And with Davis and Garnett both out late 09', Brian Scalabrine played increased minutes, mostly at power forward. Scalabrine is a terrible rebounder, grabbing just 6% of available boards when he's on the floor." Team philosophy: "Rivers isn't nearly as concerned about offensive rebounding. He'd rather his players get back and stop transition than crash the boards." In other words, the C's cheat on defense. Watch a game and see the players retreat off the shot to get back as quickly as possible on D. Reality: "To see which team did a better job rebounding, you just compare the two teams' defensive rebounding percentages. If the Celtics have a good night on the offensive glass, it will lower the opponent's defensive rebounding percentage. If the Celtics have a good night on the defensive glass, it will raise our defensive rebounding percentage. Either way, you'll know which team did the better job, even if that team had fewer chances to get a rebound than did its opponents. The league average defensive rebounding percentage is just over 73%."  Regardless of total rebounding % or number of rebounds the defensive % is what really counts. The team with the highest defensive stat usually wins. Keys to winning a championship: "Over the past 20 years, the team with the better offensive star, measured by points per game, has gone 14-6 (70 percent) in N.B.A. championship series." "Over the past 20 years, the team with the better defense, as measured by points against per game, has gone 13-7 (65 percent) in N.B.A. championship series." "Over the past 20 years, the team with the better field-goal percentage has gone 12-7 (63.2 percent) in finals." "The team with more experience won 9 of 12 applicable series, winning 75 percent of the series." Source of info: http://www.nba.com/celtics/stats/inside-the-numbers-rebounding-011906.html http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/john_schuhmann/01/16/celtics.concern/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1 http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/03/which-team-has-the-right-stuff-to-win-the-title/

Now that's what i call, doing your homework!!  Great post!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to New Strategy For Next Season.:
    [QUOTE]Maybe getting 5-8 seed wouldn't be bad if we strategically rest the older players, and actually stick to that plan (rather than lose close games and waste needed energy when our players are disinterested). One reason to do this is to draw the Heat or Bulls early in the playoffs. If you knock either one off, the playoff bracket is all sorts of broken and any team could emerge in a shortened season. Another reason to do it is out of necessity; the old guys are playing in a stop gap year. The third reason is to acquire good position in what could be the most loaded draft since 2003. We always seem to peak in the first third of the season, and I think that if we work the 2010 strategy, it might be our best chance of winning another title.
    Posted by truth-torpedo34[/QUOTE]

Will Shaq be better this year?  Probably not since he will not be on the roster.  So take the 33 and 10 record with him and throw that out and presto - you have a 500 team.  So getting the 5-8 seed may be an answer to a prayer as opposed to something contrived through resting people strategically, etc.

Suffice it to say the team will largely consist of the last year's group less Shaq and the BIG 3 another year older, etc.

The best chance of winning another title is a season shortened by a lock out, a major injury to one of the Heat BIG 3, Derrick Rose, a Hawk or two, etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to New Strategy For Next Season.:
    [QUOTE]Maybe getting 5-8 seed wouldn't be bad if we strategically rest the older players, and actually stick to that plan (rather than lose close games and waste needed energy when our players are disinterested). One reason to do this is to draw the Heat or Bulls early in the playoffs. If you knock either one off, the playoff bracket is all sorts of broken and any team could emerge in a shortened season. Another reason to do it is out of necessity; the old guys are playing in a stop gap year. The third reason is to acquire good position in what could be the most loaded draft since 2003. We always seem to peak in the first third of the season, and I think that if we work the 2010 strategy, it might be our best chance of winning another title.
    Posted by truth-torpedo34[/QUOTE]

Will Shaq be better this year?  Probably not since he will not be on the roster.  So take the 33 and 10 record with him and throw that out and presto - you have a 500 team.  So getting the 5-8 seed may be an answer to a prayer as opposed to something contrived through resting people strategically, etc.

Suffice it to say the team will largely consist of the last year's group less Shaq and the BIG 3 another year older, etc.

The best chance of winning another title is a season shortened by a lock out, a major injury to one of the Heat BIG 3, Derrick Rose, a Hawk or two, etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think Miami really handled us so much as we were down 2 starters (Shaq & Rondo) and our roster was still trying to find its way... that and Lebrons very hot hand from 3 point land late in games buried us. Add to that the inconsistency of our Big 3,,,, but it may have been a much longer series if not for Wades demolition of Rondos elbow and Lebrons unusual , out of character, performance from behind the 3 line, off balance and fading away. We certainly cant rely upoin the Big3 to deliver on a consistent basis or that they'll remain injury free or return from injury quickly I think we could pace ourselves, cut down minutes on the old guys and set up for a playoff run, we'd have a 30% shot if we found someone to play center. BUt even this is unlikely cause Doc has proven he doesnt do what he always swears he will do... that is to limit the Big 3 minutes.  Hes said it every season but he hasnt followed thru... I think its hurt us alot in the long run
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

I hope you use a coaster because your glass is not just half full but it is overflowing.... down two starters?   The series was over before Rondo got hurt and Shaq was a complete nonfactor beginning February 1st.

Miami handled them.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Strategy For Next Season. : I hope you use a coaster because your glass is not just half full but it is overflowing.... down two starters?   The series was over before Rondo got hurt and Shaq was a complete nonfactor beginning February 1st. Miami handled them.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Actually that is a load of nonsense.  Your bias is showing.  Yes, Miami won the series and I will not take anything away from them.  But to claim that Rondo's injury had no effect on the outcome is plain nonsense.

Regarding this season, my gut tells me it is bye bye Rondo.  Danny is going to make some moves and will put a big chip in play.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts