Next 6 games for Big Baby Davis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Next 6 games for Big Baby Davis

Hes got his work cut out for him.

Baby needs to remember to work in the lane.. hes got a good spot up jumper but he gets carried away with himself and starts doing fade aways.. which he rarely sinks and lately shot a hero ball 3 pointer early in the shot clock.

With his big mouth during interviews, Im afraid Baby's head is getting a little too big. Hes thinking of himself as a star now... and taking liberties usually reserved for only those players that can back it up.

Baby needs to hit the boards and draw fouls.. his shot gonna get blocked but he at least gets to the line and draws fouls..  HE also needs to be more selective with his outside shots. Hes developed his shot well and should take it when its there, but not these fall aways  that he never makes and a 3 (???). 

Undisciplined!! Doc needs to get his head on straight

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Next 6 games for Big Baby Davis:
    [QUOTE]Hes got his work cut out for him. Baby needs to remember to work in the lane.. hes got a good spot up jumper but he gets carried away with himself and starts doing fade aways.. which he rarely sinks and lately shot a hero ball 3 pointer early in the shot clock. With his big mouth during interviews, Im afraid Baby's head is getting a little too big. Hes thinking of himself as a star now... and taking liberties usually reserved for only those players that can back it up. Baby needs to hit the boards and draw fouls.. his shot gonna get blocked but he at least gets to the line and draws fouls..  HE also needs to be more selective with his outside shots. Hes developed his shot well and should take it when its there, but not these fall aways  that he never makes and a 3 (???).  Undisciplined!! Doc needs to get his head on straight
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Great post and I definitely agree with you.  Doc definitely needs to talk to him about his shot selection, (he probably already has). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Come on Bias, let's not go overboard.  That's a darn good post you put up, but I wouldn't call Davis the cornerstone of the franchise after the Big 3 are gone.  I hope we keep him and he just MIGHT be starter material, but we'll have to build a team around another great center, shooting guard, or small forward along with Rondo.  Don't know if it will be a draft or a free agent (my guess is a free agent) but it will have to happen after the big 3 are gone and all of those contracts are unloaded.   I see Perk or BBD as trade bait in the future, just not now while we need him to replace KG and while we are in the championship hunt this year.   He's our best bench player and that's the argument some of us make for not trading him now.

As for the next few games, you are absolutely right - BBD has major work cut out for him.  We'll get a chance to see if he can step up like he did last year.  But, my guess is that Shaq and JON will play Duncan because the other spurs are all small.  Davis would match up well with Blair, who is a beast under the boards.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Next 6 games for Big Baby Davis:
    [QUOTE]Well all those BBD supporters who think he's worth resigning and the future replacement to KG. Since he's the cornerstone of the team with Rondo in the coming years, we're going to see in his next 6 games just what with have with BBD. Here's the guys he has to matchup with if all are playing. Today vs Bargnani Tomorrow vs Love (now this should be good) Wed vs Duncan Friday vs Bargnani Sat vs Boozer Monday vs Scola NOW if he can produce good numbers, hold these guys in check and the C's win games during this stretch I will eat crow BUT if he doesn't I know 5 posters that need to run and hide because I'm going to make life miserable for them every day they make a post.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Don't worry you make enough dumb posts to keep us with lots of ammunition.  I think must people don't want to dump back for a bag of peanuts like you do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Oh no I've heard that BBD NEEDS to be resigned long term, him and Rondo are the future of the team. Let's not start moonwalking now. It's time to put up or shutup for BBD.

I wish shome posters would stop trying to twist my words. I've always liked BBD but I don't see him as the key to #18 like a few have posted on here. I don't even believe Ainge will resign him. So I won't backtrack but I want others to take a stance and stand by it and don't try to weasel out of all the push back posts I've received about keeping BBD. Sure we can't trade him tomorrow now that KG is hurt BUT these next 3 weeks is going to tell you a lot about whether we can upgrade the position.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I think BBD will be a good role player in the NBA.  A starter on many teams but not a dominant player.  He'll have his great games for him, 20+ points 10+ boards but I dont see him as a star or someone capable of carrying a team for a season.

He fits great with the Celtics in his role. His perimeter shot is very good, he can rebound, score in the post (or FT's) and is the NBAs best at taking charges. Cant complain about his overall game in general...hes really improved.

If the Big 3 were to leave next year or two... lets face it, we're gonna be a mess. No other way around it. Danny will need to make a few big deals or sign FA's to keep us in the hunt. Seriously, BBD, Rondo & Luke arent gonna pick up the slack left from losing PP, KG & Ray.. Silly thought imo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chief16OZ. Show Chief16OZ's posts

I too have posted praise for Big Baby.  I still think he's one of if not the most improved Celtic this year.  There is, and always will be, however, a sea of green separating Garnett from BBD.  It's simply silly to compare the two. We're never going to see a pick-and-roll between Rondo and BBD result in a two handed thunder dunk nor is baby going to d-up big men, regardless of their height and quickness, with Garnett's verve.  KG alters shots and vilifies his opponent.  BBD is a good defender who compensates for his physical limitations with hustle (the charges are a perfect example).  But when it comes to defending elite big men baby usually comes up short (figuratively and literally).

BBD is a great 6th man.  His energy and poise off the bench are exactly the characteristics that define a good 6th man. IMO he's just as valuable to the celtics as Odom is to the lakers.  And the two are similar in another way: with Odom starting the Lakers lose too. That's not meant to devalue either player.  Every team needs a great 6th man, and every team needs a roster of players who undertand their roles.  That's what Doc has been preeching: know your role and play within it.

So, cornerstone of the organization? Certainly not.  I great value for the money and key to the celtics run this year? Undeniably yes.

My only knock on BBD is that he often comes down with bad cases of diarrhea of the mouth.  In that respect he's improved some but not enough so I agree with Bias on that front.  Dude needs to zip that lip and play if he hopes to ever shake that baby intro off his name.  Then again the only Celtic who seems imune to that bug is Allen.  Even Pierce and KG fire off superfluous insults from time to time.  Wouldnt they and the celtics be better served showing their superiority by dominating on the court?  Isnt that a more convincing way to undermine your opponents confidence?

At any rate, I agree, the next 6 games will be interesting indeed but not only to position BBD within the talent pool but also to see what kind of mettle the celtics have stored within.  With our lineup in shambles every victory in January will be the equivalent to Greg Kite's Finals' points off the bench: a BIG BIG plus

Go GREEN!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Well said, Chief!!  My sentiments exactly, including his flaws.

Bias, maybe you would like to make it black or white (we either make him the cornerstone of the franchise and the single key to this year's championship OR we have to believe in trading him).   But, I don't think its black or white.  I don't know what others posted but I stand by my views.  He's very good, not great.  A potential starter but not the cornerstone of our franchise.  Currently, he's our sixth man this year bringing great energy, rebounds, and points + defense..... and his energy is definitely a key to us getting number 18 (not the only key).  No way I trade that away in a championship run.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

love and boozer are the only tough matchups for him in this stretch.

bargani is a pansy on the inside and doesn't even rebound or play defense.  davis has proved time and again that he can wear duncan out (who is old now) with bodying him out of the lane and his sweet spots.

i know davis is no superstar but you guys are acting like kg's original injury in 2009 never happened and davis is starting his first games ever.  i don't get it.  he'll do okay.  i wouldn't say his upcoming performance gauges whether he's worth keeping, because he's performed in the starting role in the past.  that said, i expect him to perform well enough in that same role again. 

so i don't understand what all the hand wringing is about here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

WhenRondo gets back we will be able to assess BBD and the rest of the players.  The yare all out of sync without the general at the helm.

Rondo, Perk, Luke, BBD, Erdan, Bradley and Daniels are a bad group to start the rebuilding process around.  Especially in two years they will have gained so much experience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

woops, 2 of the 6 games just got easier- no bargnani today, reggie evans injured long term too. 

instead, spindly ed davis, glen's long lost brother from another mother is the big man we have to contend with.  don't count the chickens before the eggs hatch, but i'm expecting we win that matchup

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chief16OZ. Show Chief16OZ's posts

I agree with the Duke of Earl in that it wont be the next 6 games that decide GD's worth.  Glen has already proven his value to this team.  

And if Baby continues to evolve into Glen, that is grow emotionally (i.e play within himself, stay outta trouble, and avoid degrading the competition) his stock will continue to rise.

What gets me is how well the celtics played when KG first went down in 2009.  I remember BBD filling in admirably and the Celtics still playing scorcher ball for a stretch there. Did I dream all that? I understand Rondo (and many others) are out right now but jeez, we've looked pretty pitiful the last few games.

Here's to turning it back around with a win tonight.

Enjoy the game everyone.

Go Green!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE] I understand Rondo (and many others) are out right now but jeez, we've looked pretty pitiful the last few games. Here's to turning it back around with a win tonight. Enjoy the game everyone. Go Green!   
    Posted by Chief16OZ[/QUOTE]

and that'd be just about the WHOLE TEAM the last two-three games has been bad.  nate, ray the turnover waiting to happen, the whole bunch have been under performing.  not just davis.

perfect opportunity to turn it around against the limp rapters tonight

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Bias,
    Nobody said BBD is the face of the franchise after the Big Three leave.  I only disagreed with you giving him away for Marcus Camby.  I think you will be please d to see BBD steps up this week.  He will need a lot of help from other Celtics however.  The problem is we just don't know when Rondo is going to play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toine83. Show toine83's posts

Horrible first half for BBD. 1-7 FG...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toine83. Show toine83's posts

[QUOTE]I think BBD will be a good role player in the NBA.  A starter on many teams but not a dominant player.  [/QUOTE]

Maybe a decent 6 or 7th player, not a starter

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Horrible first half for BBD. 1-7 FG...
    Posted by toine83[/QUOTE]

6 rebs, 4 dimes, the shooting will come around.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Bias, you wanted a double-double? How about 15 points, 11 rebounds, and 8 assists?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

8 assists on 1 turnover.  2 steals.  lousy shooting night and the fat slobbe pulled together a near triple double.  can we take this bbd "proving ground" crap and shove it yet?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]8 assists on 1 turnover.  2 steals.  lousy shooting night and the fat slobbe pulled together a near triple double.  can we take this bbd "proving ground" crap and shove it yet?
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Lousy shooting night?  6-14?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Next 6 games for Big Baby Davis : Lousy shooting night?  6-14?
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

he was colder than a witches titte in the first half- 1-7, and overlal the last few games is way under 50% that he had been at or over the whole year

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Next 6 games for Big Baby Davis : he was colder than a witches titte in the first half- 1-7, and overlal the last few games is way under 50% that he had been at or over the whole year

Trying to do too much, that's why.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Next 6 games for Big Baby Davis : he was colder than a witches titte in the first half- 1-7, and overlal the last few games is way under 50% that he had been at or over the whole year

So players don't go into slumps?  Kobe shoots like that nearly every game.  You need to look at the whole season and not 2 or 3 games for a better indicator.  As I said they all go thru slumps.  He also nearly shot 50% today and you said he shot horrible.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Glen played within the offense tonight which set him up nicely for the baseline jumpers, which he finally started hitting again in the second half.  So what if he was 1-7 in the first half.  It's how you finish that's important.

Hey, chief, kudos on your various inciteful analyses.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I dont know why all the fuss over BBD. Hes been great for us this season, a steady improvement in his game year after year.

I think the poster that started this thread was probably trying to say that now... with KG out, the next group of games is when BBD is really gonna be needed.  Hes already proven his value to this team.

Sections
Shortcuts