Nice comments on Garnett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Nice comments on Garnett

Kelly Dwyer of yahoo wrote a nice on Garnett in his power rankins. (Garnett has the 8th place).

8Kevin Garnett(notes), Boston Celtics (last year: third)

Kevin Garnett is just about the best power forward I've ever seen, so it hurts to rank him this low. But when he fell off last season -- and you saw it -- the man fell hard. At his peak? No doubt, perhaps still the best in the game at times. But those were just times. They popped up enough to keep us around, but they were merely times. Pity.

I'd still trust him, above anyone else, to guard that screen-and-roll.

I'd still trust his voice above anyone else's to tell me where I went wrong. I mean, I know I went wrong, but I'd really like to hear it from a guy who has been paying expert attention since the fall of 1995 to tell me just how I went wrong. If he wouldn't mind.

I'd still trust him covering my guy and his somehow at the same time, especially after I predicted a zig, and my guy zagged.

I'd still trust him turning over that right shoulder, going baseline with the turnaround jumper.

I'd still trust him down there, guarding any name you want to throw out. Names 1-through-30 on this list. Go ahead.

I still know that he's the best all-around player of his generation. Better than Duncan, better than Kobe, better than Shaq. In the era after Bird and before LeBron, nobody put it all together like K.G.

Enjoy him, please, in 2010-11.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Re: Nice comments on Garnett

In Response to Nice comments on Garnett:
    [QUOTE]Kelly Dwyer of yahoo wrote a nice on Garnett in his power rankins. (Garnett has the 8th place). 8 .  Kevin Garnett (notes) ,   Boston Celtics  (last year: third) Kevin Garnett is just about the best power forward I've ever seen, so it hurts to rank him this low. But when he fell off last season -- and you saw it -- the man fell hard. At his peak? No doubt, perhaps still the best in the game at times. But those were just times. They popped up enough to keep us around, but they were merely times. Pity. I'd still trust him, above anyone else, to guard that screen-and-roll. I'd still trust his voice above anyone else's to tell me where I went wrong. I mean, I know I went wrong, but I'd really like to hear it from a guy who has been paying expert attention since the fall of 1995 to tell me just  how  I went wrong. If he wouldn't mind. I'd still trust him covering my guy and his somehow at the same time, especially after I predicted a zig, and my guy zagged. I'd still trust him turning over that right shoulder, going baseline with the turnaround jumper. I'd still trust him down there, guarding any name you want to throw out. Names 1-through-30 on this list. Go ahead. I still know that he's the best all-around player of his generation. Better than Duncan, better than Kobe, better than Shaq. In the era after Bird and before LeBron, nobody put it all together like K.G. Enjoy him, please, in 2010-11.  
    Posted by MichBelgium[/QUOTE]
    To be clear... Dwyer has him ranked as the 8th best power forward, not overall player.

He has Pau Gasol at #1.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

In Response to Re: Nice comments on Garnett:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Nice comments on Garnett : To be clear... Dwyer has him ranked as the 8th best power forward , not overall player. He has Pau Gasol at #1.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget[/QUOTE]
    yes, but he mentioned him being the best all around player ... (not anymore ofcourse).

You can't blame him to give Gasol the one spot. That guy definitly took over the Garnett's and Duncan's era( power forward dominance) . But to me Gasol still has to prove that he isn't a softy ... Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Great article.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Nice comments on Garnett : To be clear... Dwyer has him ranked as the 8th best power forward , not overall player.

are you hating again?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice comments on Garnett : are you hating again?
    Posted by existentialparquet[/QUOTE]
    Huh? Not sure I know what you are talking about. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Hopefully he won't be as tentative this year, and we can see the 08 KG

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice comments on Garnett : Huh? Not sure I know what you are talking about. 

thats fine. neither do i.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I'd like to see Gasol carry a team virtually on his own to a conference finals series. I don't think he has that kind of ability and I doubt he'll ever possess it.

He's a good player, but that's all he is. A good player. He'll have moments but he's inconsistent. He should thank Bryant for both his rings. 

I seem to recall a lot of talk about a trade between the Lakers and the Wolves for Garnett. I'm sure that some Lakers fans wouldn't be dissing KG if he had signed with the Lakers. Garnett has ability and an intensity that Pau can only dream of possessing. 

Like I said, I'd like to see Pau accomplish what Garnett has. Yes he may win more rings. But in some cases championship rings can't measure the ability of a player against one of his contemporaries. 

Like Horace Grant has 3 rings, but I'd have Karl Marlone in my side any day instead of Horace. 

I think it's a concern for the power forward position in the NBA when Pau is considered the best. I'm not disputing that he's a good player, it's just that as a position it must be very weak for him to number one. He'd have been eaten alive if he was playing in the early nineties or eighties. 

Enjoy KG while you can Boston, he's fab and I'd love it if he were a Laker. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]Hopefully he won't be as tentative this year, and we can see the 08 KG
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

I don't think you will. At KG's age it is hard to come back to full fitness from the type of injury he sustained. Even if he came back physically I don't know if he could mentally.

By this I mean that he'd still have the level of competitiveness and drive. But at the back of his mind would be the thoughts of am I going to get injured again, perhaps even some self doubt. 

Younger players can come back to the same point they were at before injury. Like, you do feel that you're invincible and that anything is possible (no pun intended). But KG has a lot of mileage. 

I think he'll improve this year because of his additional supporting cast. The O'Neils should provide him with a lot of help in the paint, with Baby's support off the bench. 

I was happy to see him return last year, and was worried for him during the season as I thought he could get hurt again at any time. Perhaps he may have just needed 12 to 16 months to return to the 08 standard. But, I don't think he's capable of that sort of play now.

Injury + Age + Doubts (again this may be a fraction of a thought but it may be there, it has to be!) doesn't add up to KG being the player he was in his first season. But he does have Pride. 

I think he may retire after this season if Boston wins the title. Which they have a very good chance at doing. In my mind they're the best team in the league. Garnett even at the level he's at now is your MVP. He's your spiritual heart and epitomizes Celtic Pride. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RondoIsHustle. Show RondoIsHustle's posts

RUWorthy are you sure you are a laker´s fan???
    You look like a very nice person to be one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]RUWorthy are you sure you are a laker´s fan??? You look like a very nice person to be one.
    Posted by RondoIsHustle[/QUOTE]

That's why a Laker troll on this board calls him RUPotapenko. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice comments on Garnett : I don't think you will. At KG's age it is hard to come back to full fitness from the type of injury he sustained. Even if he came back physically I don't know if he could mentally. By this I mean that he'd still have the level of competitiveness and drive. But at the back of his mind would be the thoughts of am I going to get injured again, perhaps even some self doubt.  Younger players can come back to the same point they were at before injury. Like, you do feel that you're invincible and that anything is possible (no pun intended). But KG has a lot of mileage.  I think he'll improve this year because of his additional supporting cast. The O'Neils should provide him with a lot of help in the paint, with Baby's support off the bench.  I was happy to see him return last year, and was worried for him during the season as I thought he could get hurt again at any time. Perhaps he may have just needed 12 to 16 months to return to the 08 standard. But, I don't think he's capable of that sort of play now. Injury + Age + Doubts (again this may be a fraction of a thought but it may be there, it has to be!) doesn't add up to KG being the player he was in his first season. But he does have Pride.  I think he may retire after this season if Boston wins the title. Which they have a very good chance at doing. In my mind they're the best team in the league. Garnett even at the level he's at now is your MVP. He's your spiritual heart and epitomizes Celtic Pride. 
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Yeah true. He is a great player but not sure if he was really there these playoffs although he looked great against rashard and jamison. I think he'll be way more motivated with shaq and jermaine. Don't you think this luxury will make him feel way better? And don't you think he'll stay for 2 years if you know shaq, ray and jermaine are still there...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

[QUOTE]Garnett is washed up. He had his brief moment, got his one (tainted) ring but it's time to make way for the next great pf in the Spaniard. Duncan was the king in this position, now it's the Spaniard. 1 ring does not qualify as great, hard luck boi!
    Posted by KB24RULZ[/QUOTE]
    It's a bit too hard to believe that Gasol is the best power forward but it seems like he is the only one who achieved something. And that's what has put him above the others. Talented wise I wouldn't say that he is the best...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]RUWorthy are you sure you are a laker´s fan??? You look like a very nice person to be one.
    Posted by RondoIsHustle[/QUOTE]

Thanks :) There's a lot of nice fans of the Lakers. There's just a lack of them here.
    Although a jerk can be jerk no matter what team they support :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice comments on Garnett : Yeah true. He is a great player but not sure if he was really there these playoffs although he looked great against rashard and jamison. I think he'll be way more motivated with shaq and jermaine. Don't you think this luxury will make him feel way better? And don't you think he'll stay for 2 years if you know shaq, ray and jermaine are still there...

He'll be motivated and he'll get a lot of help from the O'Neils. 

I sincerely believe that if Boston wins this year Garnett will retire. Maybe one of the other older guys as well. Going out as a winner is a very rare thing in sports. And that is a real possibility for Garnett this year.

He may play on, but then would he have anything to prove? His body is a year older, he'll lose some more pace and stamina. I don't believe he'd ever lose his competitiveness. But most athletes don't listen to their bodies at the end of their careers. If I were him and if the Celtics win in '11 then I'd retire on top. 
    This season, because of their age, will take it's toll on the Celtics, they'll have the desire from Game 7 last season and in my mind the Heat, for this first season will be at their weakest. They're vulnerable and this will be the season the only season I believe where the aging Celtics can take advantage of this. 

The Heat will be stronger in the 11/12 season. So I think this is the year were Celtics will have to 'all in' mentally and win this last title (for the current group). They have a real chance at winning this season which will diminish by at least half in the subsequent year because of the improved Miami Heat. 

Because of this and if the Celtics win, I think Garnett may retire. Just a feeling I have. There's no reason for him to continue if he's a two time champion with the Celtics. He'll secure his legacy and I think Boston will be retiring his number 5 within a few years of his retirement. 

You just have to get though us for Garnett to reach this promised land.

Wish the games were beginning this week! It's only August!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice comments on Garnett : It's a bit too hard to believe that Gasol is the best power forward but it seems like he is the only one who achieved something. And that's what has put him above the others. Talented wise I wouldn't say that he is the best...

Of course you wouldn't, hence the reason the celts are wannabes!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Is Kome stalking the crowd looking for a Colorada women in that video?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

I hope and pray that Garnett can return to 85% uninjured this year.  If he does we have a good shot at it this year and next year.  Gasol has put the Lakers in the finals three years in a row and I can't argue with that or put him down, tooo bad be did not get him.  Garnett and Gasol are two different players and could have played well together.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice comments on Garnett : He'll be motivated and he'll get a lot of help from the O'Neils.  I sincerely believe that if Boston wins this year Garnett will retire. Maybe one of the other older guys as well. Going out as a winner is a very rare thing in sports. And that is a real possibility for Garnett this year. He may play on, but then would he have anything to prove? His body is a year older, he'll lose some more pace and stamina. I don't believe he'd ever lose his competitiveness. But most athletes don't listen to their bodies at the end of their careers. If I were him and if the Celtics win in '11 then I'd retire on top.  This season, because of their age, will take it's toll on the Celtics, they'll have the desire from Game 7 last season and in my mind the Heat, for this first season will be at their weakest. They're vulnerable and this will be the season the only season I believe where the aging Celtics can take advantage of this.  The Heat will be stronger in the 11/12 season. So I think this is the year were Celtics will have to 'all in' mentally and win this last title (for the current group). They have a real chance at winning this season which will diminish by at least half in the subsequent year because of the improved Miami Heat.  Because of this and if the Celtics win, I think Garnett may retire. Just a feeling I have. There's no reason for him to continue if he's a two time champion with the Celtics. He'll secure his legacy and I think Boston will be retiring his number 5 within a few years of his retirement.  You just have to get though us for Garnett to reach this promised land. Wish the games were beginning this week! It's only August!
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Ever thought it might be O'Neals? Yikes I forgot, RUPotapenko is a celt fan. Remember the classic Ervin (Earvin) Magic Johnson lmao. Love to see how you spell your name, Vitaly!

Sections
Shortcuts