No Rondo trade to Dallas unless Dwight Howard goes first

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GabrielXL. Show GabrielXL's posts

Re: No Rondo trade to Dallas unless Dwight Howard goes first

Fierce34 said: The Celtics can't just release Humphries and Wallace. There are salary cap rules.

There are 2 ways to get Dwight Howard.

1. Sign him as an unrestricted free-agent.

The Celts can't do that because the Celts are a team over the salary cap.

2. Do a sign and trade for Howard.

In order for the Lakers to do that, they would have to amnesty Pau Gasol.

As you can see, it's not as simple as just release Humphries and Wallace. There are rules.

=========================

You're only half right. According to the CBA,

[The Stretch Provision allows for the team to cut ties with a player and spread the remainder of the contract over twice the length of the terms plus an additional season. This would allow the Celtics to cut Wallace and record only $4.3 million against the cap for each season over the next seven years instead of the entire $30 million over three.]

This, along with Humphries' expiring contract (that could also be traded) would effectively put a very large dent in the Celtics cap problems.

"Everything is on it's way to somewhere else."

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GabrielXL. Show GabrielXL's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

=========================

You're only half right. According to the CBA,

[The Stretch Provision allows for the team to cut ties with a player and spread the remainder of the contract over twice the length of the terms plus an additional season. This would allow the Celtics to cut Wallace and record only $4.3 million against the cap for each season over the next seven years instead of the entire $30 million over three.]

This, along with Humphries' expiring contract (that could also be traded) would effectively put a very large dent in the Celtics cap problems.

[QUOTE]

Wrong.

The Celtics have a payroll of 68.3m right now.

Even if you stretch Wallace and get rid of Humphries, the Celtics will still be at 50.5m.

68.3 - 12 - 5.8 = 50.5m.

Now, Dwight Howard's max contract will be 88m for 4 years. That's 22m per year.

The salary cap for 2013-14 is 58.5m.

So even if you get rid of Humphries and Wallace, the Celtics still can't afford Dwight.

[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying, but "wrong" how? How do you calculate in a contract that wouldn't be there if you trade a guy away and release the other at a reduced rate. Also, where'd you get 5.8m, when the stretch provision indicates that the hit would be 4.3m. From what I'm seeing, you're take assumes that the Celtics would keep Kris Humphries (whiich is far from a given) and is short-sighted in the fact that his contract only has one year remaining. What's more, it's not like the Celtics wouldn't go over the cap to sign a big name player. They've done it before. Why not now? Why not with this player?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GabrielXL. Show GabrielXL's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

[QUOTE]

So the average cap hit for Lin is 8 mil per year. The average for lee is just over 5 mil per year. That would seem to make the lee contract easier to trade and more desireable for teams looking to create space. They are both bad contracts, but lin's is worse. And lee is arguably the better player. 

Yeah, but Lin's contract expires in 2015 while Lee's expires in 2016.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and Lin's contract is also back loaded, with the final year paying him 15m.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

S. Marion ($9.3M final year on deal)

S. Larkin ($1.2M first year of Rookie deal)

would do it Salary wise I believe.

But Stil think Howard is Houston Bound.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GabrielXL. Show GabrielXL's posts

You know... Above all of this, how does it make sense for Boston to trade away "arguably" their best player, in order for another team to entice a high profile player? Wouldn't it make more sense to try and attract that player to Boston?

The only reason people are entertaining this thought is because they have the world "rebuilding" on their minds. To that I say again, why not rebuild with Howard "and" Rondo on your roster? This team doesn't have to be bad before it gets good. They have the means to stay competitive and you can't tell me that Dwight Howard isn't worth going over the cap for if you thought that doing so for KG made sense. Especially since (comparitively)  Howard is younger and thus provides a much larger window.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Dwight Howard isn't walking through that door, folks.  Josh Smith is not walking through that door.

Danny said himself the Celts are trying to stay away from the repeater tax.  That means NO big names are coming here! 

It sucks, I hate it, and I had hope until Danny's statement yesterday but he squashed it with two points.  The fear of the repeater tax, and the admission that Rondo wants another star in Boston and Ainge told him that was unrealistic.

Celts are tanking, there is a very good chance it blows up in their faces, but that is what is happening.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GabrielXL. Show GabrielXL's posts

In response to GabrielXL's comment:

[QUOTE]

You know... Above all of this, how does it make sense for Boston to trade away "arguably" their best player, in order for another team to entice a high profile player? Wouldn't it make more sense to try and attract that player to Boston?

The only reason people are entertaining this thought is because they have the world "rebuilding" on their minds. To that I say again, why not rebuild with Howard "and" Rondo on your roster? This team doesn't have to be bad before it gets good. They have the means to stay competitive and you can't tell me that Dwight Howard isn't worth going over the cap for if you thought that doing so for KG made sense. Especially since (comparitively)  Howard is younger and thus provides a much larger window.

There is no question that Dwight Howard is worth going over the cap. But the salary cap rules prevents you from doing that. It's not because the Celts don't want to or us fans don't want to. The CBA of the NBA does NOT allow what you are trying to do.

If you want the Celts to get Dwight, the Celtics would have to shed at least 25m in salaries.

Right now the Celts are at 68.3m. But that does not include the salaries of Olynyk, Shavlik, DJ White, and Kris Joseph.

For the Celts to sign DH, they would have to only have 43m in total salaries.

[/QUOTE]

Color me educated on this part of the CBA. Thanks for sharing that knowledge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GabrielXL. Show GabrielXL's posts

[QUOTE]

There is no question that Dwight Howard is worth going over the cap. But the salary cap rules prevents you from doing that. It's not because the Celts don't want to or us fans don't want to. The CBA of the NBA does NOT allow what you are trying to do.

If you want the Celts to get Dwight, the Celtics would have to shed at least 25m in salaries.

Right now the Celts are at 68.3m. But that does not include the salaries of Olynyk, Shavlik, DJ White, and Kris Joseph.

[/QUOTE]

Want to hear something funny? I realized that I got lost in this discussion and totally misremembered my true feelings about Dwight Howard. On other forums, I've called him overrated and derided his inability to improve his game after 9 years in the league. I took particular issue with the fact that his free throw percentage got progressively worse over the course of his career and that I didn't understand why anyone would think he's the best center in the league. { smh } How's that for irony?

Having said this, I do think that with guards in front of him like Rondo and Bradley and competent forwards next to him like Sully, Bass and Green, he would be a good fit in Boston. The important thing is getting the right coach to impress upon him why improving his game is in his best interest and why it doesn't make sense to swat an opponents shot into the 4th row for SportsCenter. He's been living on his athletic ability for too long and it has largely blinded people to his very real shortcomings.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Name one player not named Dirk on Dallas for any reason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

understand this.  we can't afford him and he does not want to come here. he will never, ever play here under any circumstance.  and that is fine.  we have to stink for a year, but a quick rebuild is realistic if we can move the wallace contract.  i think trading rondo and wallace to detroit for some expiring contracts(villanueva, stuckey)

and a first round pick next year could do the trick.  that would give us 3 first round picks next year, ours would be top 5, and a buttload of money to spend on a solid free agent class.

[/QUOTE]

Want to hear something funny? I realized that I got lost in this discussion and totally misremembered my true feelings about Dwight Howard. On other forums, I've called him overrated and derided his inability to improve his game after 9 years in the league. I took particular issue with the fact that his free throw percentage got progressively worse over the course of his career and that I didn't understand why anyone would think he's the best center in the league. { smh } How's that for irony?

Having said this, I do think that with guards in front of him like Rondo and Bradley and competent forwards next to him like Sully, Bass and Green, he would be a good fit in Boston. The important thing is getting the right coach to impress upon him why improving his game is in his best interest and why it doesn't make sense to swat an opponents shot into the 4th row for SportsCenter. He's been living on his athletic ability for too long and it has largely blinded people to his very real shortcomings.

[/QUOTE]