note to rondo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbit-angstrom. Show rabbit-angstrom's posts

note to rondo

note to rondo:  stop trying to be steve nash (razzle-dazzle); 4 more turnovers last night.  i'd rather you emulate maurice cheeks:  be a steward of the ball and treat every possession with care.  AND GET A JUMPSHOT, WILL YA'?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from runrunandrun. Show runrunandrun's posts

Re: note to rondo

In Response to note to rondo:
    [QUOTE]note to rondo:  stop trying to be steve nash (razzle-dazzle); 4 more turnovers last night.  i'd rather you emulate maurice cheeks:  be a steward of the ball and treat every possession with care.  AND GET A JUMPSHOT, WILL YA'?
    Posted by rabbit-angstrom[/QUOTE]

When Rondo scores big 18pts the C's lose,when Rondo gets 17 assist the C's win.

Most teams pack it in against Rondo and dare him to shoot,this leads to few shots for the Big 3 and Rondo firing up bricks.The other teams rebounds the misses and off to the races.

Rondo should drive every time down and dish or finish,no more dribble dribble and brick.

Run

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to note to rondo:
    [QUOTE]note to rondo:  stop trying to be steve nash (razzle-dazzle); 4 more turnovers last night.  i'd rather you emulate maurice cheeks:  be a steward of the ball and treat every possession with care.  AND GET A JUMPSHOT, WILL YA'?
    Posted by rabbit-angstrom[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. We don't need his points. 10-14 points is good but we need 10-15 assist per game. He can get his points from fastbreaks at any point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsanalyst. Show celticsanalyst's posts

It's obvious that Celtics play better when Rondo is pushing the ball and penetrating in the lane.  That's when he is able to dish the ball out to the open guy outside or to Shaq or KG for a easy shot near the basket.  I hate it when the Celtics settle for a half court game usually in the 4th quarter.  That's when they start losing a lead that they build earlier.  Rondo needs to be aggressive going to the basket not just in the 1st quarter, but throughout the game.  When the Celtics settle for half court game, all the other guys just stand around and wait for something to happen.  This gives the opponent time to settle in their defense and make a good defense stop.  Keep the defense on their toes by being more aggressive. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I'm waiting to see what ROndo has learned the last 3 years. We're still talking about the same stuff with him. (push the ball all game, not just the 1st quarter, take open jumpers). He's posting up more but I'm not sure its beneficial to the offense for him to be posting up. If anything it hurts the transition defense and he's not a good FT shooter, so what is it doing?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: note to rondo:
    [QUOTE]I'm waiting to see what ROndo has learned the last 3 years. We're still talking about the same stuff with him. (push the ball all game, not just the 1st quarter, take open jumpers). He's posting up more but I'm not sure its beneficial to the offense for him to be posting up. If anything it hurts the transition defense and he's not a good FT shooter, so what is it doing?
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Rondo's interest in the game seems to ebb and flow... as do the Celtics fortunes.  He is aggressive and hits a few outside shots in the first quarter last night. GREAT.

And then... his shots and aggression/leadership disappear. Passive directing the attack; gives the ball up to CPP to make a play... zero shots in the fourth when his offense needed to assert itself and the opportunities were certainly there.

One trip to the line in two games??? For an elite PG???

And where is that elbow jumper?

Want to force feed Rondo the art of FT shooting, BTW??? Make him the designated tech foul shooter!

In the long run, the team benefits, holding his feet to the fire.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

my two cents on Rondo

I'll repeat what I said last season:  he needs to shoot the ball.  He doesn't even need to MAKE the stupid jump shots.  He needs to SHOOT them just to keep the defense honest.  It's a mental thing with him.  He blows plays because of it.  It's got absolutely nothing to do with shooting ability; same thing with free throws.  This guy isn't hopelessly lost with his mechanics ala Shaq at the line or Barkley swinging a golf club.  He doesn't understand how vital his shot is.  Again, he has to TAKE the shots not MAKE the shots.  That's basketball, it's not really a negotiable item.  If he gets bashful about taking shots the defense is just going to sag off and make it a 4 vs 5 game.  One thing that is happenning already which is worrisome is the ball is being taken out of Rondo's hands even as point immediately after a defensive rebound which causes us to play 4 vs for 24 seconds.  (at which point Rondo's value becomes offensive rebounder)

Regarding his defense:  The Celts allow front line on-ball defenders to play with some risk.  Send them back to KG and Shaq.  We rotate and slide well enough to force a low percentage.  This is not to say he shouldn't move hsi feet better.  I didn't like the way he played last night, but that's all I'm gonna say.  Celts single-season leader in steals....NBA All-D....I mean c'mon.  What more can you ask?  (also led the league in shooting percentage last year for guards so that speaks to his individual offensive capabilities)  I think you guys need to be more supportive and less critical.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

He tied an all time first game of the season assists mark in the first game (with only three turnovers) and put up 18/9 the next night and was hardly the reason we lost the second game. 

Rondo has stuff to work on but to pick on his performance versus the rest of the team at this point based on his two games of work so far is absurd. Point fingers at the entire team if you want for lacking intensity in the second game, they do deserve that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Is it ironic that Rondo wears an arm sleeve (supposedly to keep his shooting arm warm) and has never proved he has a reliable jump shot?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

DWest needs to run the team in the second half, when the game is on the line.

Rondo is great in the first half establishing the lead, getting everyone involved, dictating the tempo... what he does best.

However, when the game slows down... Delonte takes over.

The best of both worlds.

Pud

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to note to rondo : Totally agree. We don't need his points. 10-14 points is good but we need 10-15 assist per game. He can get his points from fastbreaks at any point.

I could not disagree more about not needing his points.  Small sample but are averaging 88 ppg through two games.  They need him to score and they need him to make assists.  Instead of 17 assists would it not be better if he had 10 assists and took and made more shots.  The pressure he creates on the offense is something that those who worship at the Rondo altar cannot cope with this concept.

I heard Jackie Mac today saying that who cares if Rondo scores or can shoot as long he gets into the paint and dishes to open shooters.  EVERY POINT GUARD IN THE LEAGUE CAN DO THAT JACKIE - it is by definition their job. 

They beat a completely out of synch Heat team that just played the whole preseason without their 1 or 1a player and it was a 3 point game and took some heroic shooting by 34 to win the game.

88 ppg is not going to cut it, they need Rondo to score and make assists especially if we keep having to read the elite pablem here.  Last night Rose and Westbrook to name just a couple had significantly better games than either of Rodno's games.  When Rondo is the leading scorer and the other team's strategy is to not let anyone else let them beat them - it makes for a long night and a L.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to note to rondo : Totally agree. We don't need his points. 10-14 points is good but we need 10-15 assist per game. He can get his points from fastbreaks at any point.

He had 9 assists, so if he had 1 more we woulda won? ... The problem is.. just like last year.. the C's get too comfortable when they get a 10+ lead we've seen this time and time again...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

What the C's need is Rondo to develop a 'reliable' outside jumper. That keeps the opposing teams defense honest and opens the paint for the bigs. It aint rocket science and when you combine this with his ability to slash, the C's will be in a far better position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Shines01:   RR has to MAKE his shots.   You can go on the court and shoot and miss.   A team w/ a low % shooting is always in trouble esp if the team isn't a good (offensive) rebounding team.   Can't make it, DON"T shoot it.   Wide open and can't make a shot is a BAD shot.   Why don't we just ask Shaq to go to the ft line and take the shot.   Why not ask MD to jack it up everytime he gets the ball.   Maybe JON to see it he can make threes!   ?!?!?   "Keeping them honest" is shooting and making SOME;   enough to make the D play you some.