Off season plans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Off season plans

Back on the topic of the Celtics - let's address what we need next year.

I am hoping, beyond hope, that with our two first round picks, we select Perry Jones of Baylor and Doron Lamb of Kentucky

The four players not under contract for next year we need to keep are:
    Steamer, Bass, Green and EITHER Ray or Pietrus. 

Of the Hibbert/Kaman/McGee trio, we need to land ONE of them - keep Steamer, and maybe Hollins (with a full training camp)

Of the Mayo/Foye/Young/Gordon, we need to get a least one - I'm saying
    Foye right now.

I feel depth will be very important going forward.  KG is a tough call - but let's just say he walks......and retires.

My team is now:
    Rondo/Bradley/Moore
    Foye/Allen/Lamb
    PP/Green/?
    Jones/Bass/JJJ
    Hibbert- Kaman-McGee/Steamer/Hollins

Not a bad team, maybe a 6 or 7 seed in the East -what do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Off season plans

You either blow it up and go bad, or you make trades and moves to keep us a top 4 team.

If we get Hibbert or McGee we can be in business, Kaman not so much.

So much depends yet again on Rondo's improving (also putting players around him that fit his style more), who we draft, Avery/Stiemsma getting even better, the health of Green and if Pierce/KG can at least repeat this seasons stats, with even bigger primetime ones (b/c they get more rest overall)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Say we get Hibbert, we have to offer a max deal. Is it worth it or should we wait for Bynum/Howard?

So lets go with Hibbert at the max

I sign and trade Ray and Johnson for Mayo... Memphis picks up his qualifying offer, Boston gives Ray just a lil more than the MLE, like 2/12 and there you have it. Memphis was moving on from Mayo anyhow.

Bass picks up his player option (4m) and KG comes back for like 1 year 3-4 million. Green gets the full MLE for 1 year after passing a physical and working out.

I badly want to draft Dion Waiters. I see him as an underrated star, a future Kendell Gill type strong 6'4" SG who scores a quiet 18 a game and is a SCARY 4th best player.

C - Hibbert, Steamer
    PF - Bass, KG
    SF - Green, Pierce
    SG - Waiters, Avery
    PG - Rondo, Mayo

I start Waiters over Mayo/Avery but play both those guys more mins than him (like Mayo 28, Avery 20, Waiters 16). I just think the Avery/Mayo duo has so much potential to just DESTROY the will of a teams bench. Mayo closes out games w/ Pierce and KG as well. Bass and Green are startng and playing 28 mins to run and dunk and let Rondo be the PG he was meant to be. KG and Pierce should be down around 22-26 mins.

Pierce wins 6th man of the year

No clue who the 2nd draft pick is. We may need both picks to move up and get Waiters (pick up a future 1st). If not, I'd just get the best big available as Bass is on a 1 year and KG close to retirement.

That should be the #3 seed in the East for Pierce's last 2 years, with title shots if certain players improve while KG/Pierce remain as effective as they are now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

a Hibbert-KG-Pierce-Avery-Rondo team is scary on D

a KG-Green-Pierce-Mayo-Rondo team is scary on offense

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Off season plans:
    [QUOTE]Say we get Hibbert, we have to offer a max deal. Is it worth it or should we wait for Bynum/Howard? So lets go with Hibbert at the max I sign and trade Ray and Johnson for Mayo... Memphis picks up his qualifying offer, Boston gives Ray just a lil more than the MLE, like 2/12 and there you have it. Memphis was moving on from Mayo anyhow. Bass picks up his player option (4m) and KG comes back for like 1 year 3-4 million. Green gets the full MLE for 1 year after passing a physical and working out. I badly want to draft Dion Waiters. I see him as an underrated star, a future Kendell Gill type strong 6'4" SG who scores a quiet 18 a game and is a SCARY 4th best player. C - Hibbert, Steamer PF - Bass, KG SF - Green, Pierce SG - Waiters, Avery PG - Rondo, Mayo I start Waiters over Mayo/Avery but play both those guys more mins than him (like Mayo 28, Avery 20, Waiters 16). I just think the Avery/Mayo duo has so much potential to just DESTROY the will of a teams bench. Mayo closes out games w/ Pierce and KG as well. Bass and Green are startng and playing 28 mins to run and dunk and let Rondo be the PG he was meant to be. KG and Pierce should be down around 22-26 mins. Pierce wins 6th man of the year No clue who the 2nd draft pick is. We may need both picks to move up and get Waiters (pick up a future 1st). If not, I'd just get the best big available as Bass is on a 1 year and KG close to retirement. That should be the #3 seed in the East for Pierce's last 2 years, with title shots if certain players improve while KG/Pierce remain as effective as they are now.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Nice as always, but who do we take with our other pick?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]a Hibbert-KG-Pierce-Avery-Rondo team is scary on D a KG-Green-Pierce-Mayo-Rondo team is scary on offense

I like the idea of signing Hibbert, but not sure that he won't resign with Indiana.  What a different team the Celtics could have been this season if they had a center who could contribute and wasn't injured. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Off season plans : I like the idea of signing Hibbert, but not sure that he won't resign with Indiana.  What a different team the Celtics could have been this season if they had a center who could contribute and wasn't injured. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

If only Danny had kept Tony Allen then we'd have never traded Perk, ah well

Indiana has the right to offer Hibbert 1 more year, or just match whatever offer he gets (more likely move) so yes it depends on if that small market club is ready to pay two guys in Granger/Hibbert max $, when they are 2nd-4th best players, not elite superstars.

They do have tons of $. Only David West is slightly overpaid at 10m. George Hill (this summer) Collison ('13), Hansborough ('13) and Paul George ('14) will all command big deals. But they expire in the order of least important/expensive to keep, so you'd think they can easily afford Hibbert, who is the most important guy on the team considering he is a top 7 center and Granger has George waiting in the weeds to take over as a similar scorer (still not a #1 superstar though).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Off season plans : I like the idea of signing Hibbert, but not sure that he won't resign with Indiana.  What a different team the Celtics could have been this season if they had a center who could contribute and wasn't injured. 

IF IND matches the offer..............they are notoriously cheap...we NEED to do it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe we will sign Hibbert for next season.  He would be my first choice for center next season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for the responses. Maybe we will sign Hibbert for next season.  He would be my first choice for center next season. 

Kaman is #2...........he can score and rebound!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Red,

I don't know who the 2nd draft pick is... I'd hate to see Waiters go 13-17 range while we sit at 19-23 and grab a less inspiring player. Similar (but even more damaging IMO) then passing on Brooks for Johnson. Trade both firsts for New Orleans 12th and a future 2nd maybe?

Waiters will be better than Beal and Rivers (at first) b/c he has that Wade type built and he can just score anywhere. His body is ready and despite some character issues (that seems to be in the past) he is fiery, fearless and has tons of heart. I watched him live 3x the past 2 years. The other two are kids (TEENS) will have Avery/Bill Walker growing pains. Eventually they will probably all be equally impactful 16-19ppg guys over an entire career.

I'd only take Kidd-Gilchrist and Lamb over Waiters. Lamb b/c of his scary defense upside, 7' wingspan at 6'5". He has to be more aggressive on offense tho.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Off season plans : Kaman is #2...........he can score and rebound!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

If we can't get Hibbert then I'd only give Kaman the money for a 1 year deal. Then go after Dwight next offseason.

If Ray and KG take 1 year deals at 4 and 6 million we'd still have enough space to take on 18 million.

Maybe the Horents would sign and trade us Kaman and Eric Gordon (at his 5m qualifying offer) for Bass, Steamer, E'Twuan and both 1st rd picks?

Rondo, Gordon, Green, KG, Kaman as starters

Avery, Pierce, Johnson and some veterans on the bench?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Kris Humphries is a bruiser, give him 28 mins and he'll get you a 10-10. This team has found something with Avery in the mix and will only get better on the wing when Green returns. But the rebounding woe's have to be addressed.

If we can get Kaman (6-8m per year) and Humphries (8-10m per year) at basically the same price as a max offer to Hibbert, that would be an interesting play

Then you can sign and trade Bass (or just his option if he's picked it up) for other talent. Kaman basically does the same thing as Bass on offense (pretty mid-range J, some dunks) but with more height and reb's on D.

C - Kaman (28 mins) KG (12) Steamer (8)
    PF - Humphries (28) KG (12) Green (8)

Thats a deep frontcourt. Humphries and Kaman could even push Steamer out of the rotation w/ each getting like 4 more mins.

You can keep Ray and try to trade Bass and a draft pick for a younger guard upgrade, the Mayo deal still, maybe Eric Gordon, or use Bass to move up from pick 20 and take that SG who falls to the low teens (Lamb, Waiters, Beal, Rivers) and keep the other pick for a developmental type.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Red Foye is no good. That's why the Clips needed Nick Young.  Besides being too small to be a starting SG, Foye is not efficient on offense, needs a lot of shots to get his points.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

True, not a great shooter anyhow

I love the idea of Mayo and Avery together in the backcourt.

Mayo can run point just as good as Dooling/Delonte, or at least with the skill and maybe not the veteran savvy. but he'll defend SG's better than Dooling and just as good as DWest, score more then those guys and let Avery continue to develop his backdoor, slash to the rim, hit the mid-range J offensive game coupled with being a terror on the opposing teams best guard (Rose, Wade, Westbrook, Lin, Holiday, Paul, Parker, DWill).

So many guys will face TWO elite defenders (Rondo as well) and both will be kept rested. While a rested Ray can hit his dagger 3's in limited mins, and Mayo will hurt you equally on defense as well as offense. He's never had a PG like Rondo and should get half his mins paired with RR.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I like Mayo and Humphries also............can we move up to get Sullinger or Leonard?  And can we afford Kaman, Humphries and Mayo?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Off season plans : Remember, we only have 22m in cap space if Bass opts in.  Kaman will not get less than 8m per year. Humphries is also an 8m per year player. That's already 16m. That means no Jeff Green and KG must agree to the vet's minimum.  If KG gets 5m per year then the Celts won't have the cap space to sign players like Mayo and Jeff Green.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

22 million

So let's say 9 per for Humphries and 8 per for Kaman is 17

KG gets the 3-4 I said

All under 22

Bass has opted in at 4 million, Johnson makes 1 million, we can trade them for Mayo (or another player) around 4-7 million (Mayo's QO is like 6 million). Or if Bass opts out Ray is involved in a sign and trade BEFORE we get Kaman or Humphries that brings back a player only making 4-6 million.

Green gets the MLE AFTER all the above moves are made

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Kaman would have been a great move.  Maybe something magical is happening without him.  I can hope can't I.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I like Mayo and Humphries also............can we move up to get Sullinger or Leonard?  And can we afford Kaman, Humphries and Mayo?
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

I like Moultrie better than Leonard... but he's solid as well

I'd trade both our 1st rd picks (and JJJ) if it meant we got either of those two or Sullinger (maaaybe Perry Jones)

then we concentrate the cap space on getting Eric Gordon or OJ Mayo. Mayo seems to be the better fit and his team less likely to match an offer. New Orleans is more likely to match even tho Gordon hates is there and was hurt all year simply b/c they can't get nothing but a pick in the 10-14 range and the yet to develop Aminu for Chris Paul.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Kaman would have been a great move.  Maybe something magical is happening without him.  I can hope can't I.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Kaman was the move before the season started that I wanted Danny in on.

I'm guessing he could have made it a 3-team trade when Paul went to LA that included JON's exp contract (to LA who'd need a backup to Jordan), a sign and trade with big baby (from Louisianna) and one of our 1st rd picks for Kaman.

Yes it would have meant no Bass, and the draft is VERY deep, but we'd have been a better team with a true center.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Off season plans : I like Moultrie better than Leonard... but he's solid as well I'd trade both our 1st rd picks (and JJJ) if it meant we got either of those two or Sullinger (maaaybe Perry Jones) then we concentrate the cap space on getting Eric Gordon or OJ Mayo. Mayo seems to be the better fit and his team less likely to match an offer. New Orleans is more likely to match even tho Gordon hates is there and was hurt all year simply b/c they can't get nothing but a pick in the 10-14 range and the yet to develop Aminu for Chris Paul.

I would love Perry Jones.....how do you feel about Royce White?

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts