officiating: past vs present

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

officiating: past vs present

there are a ton of people on here who believe the nba officiating is corrupt and bad. I believe its very inconsistent on a game to game basis. so some of you old schoolers that remember the games from the 60's-80's, how would you compare the officiating from back then to today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Re: officiating: past vs present

Fierce---dont hide.

how would you compare the officiating from back then to today.

Managing  business of yesteryears the same today?

If you said "yes" then study economics 101.
    If you said "no", then there is your answer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I've seen the 80s, 90s, and the present, nothing has changed. 

Che is right, the NBA is not clean. But I'm not going to complain about it because it's part of the deal.

Che on the other hand is an oxymoron, likes the Celtics but hates the NBA. 

HAHAHA!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Che even promoted one of the most boring games of the season.

Cavs vs Miami thursday!!

posted at 11/29/2010 10:03 AM EST
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=46eb450ff7f8181179344972b05bf2a5&plckUserId=46eb450ff7f8181179344972b05bf2a5">
    First: 5/30/2008
    Last: 12/15/2010

Interesting to watch this game. 
    I don't watch other games except when the Celtics is playing but this time,
    I will watch the game just to see the reaction of the Cleveland fans vs Le no ring bron.
    They beefed up the security too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/528997-lebron-james-has-to-beat-the-cleveland-cavaliers-on-thursday

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

The main thing I see is the refs still give the Fakers all the calls.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schleprechaun. Show Schleprechaun's posts

I don't think the Fakers get all the calls,

But I Do wonder who would win in a game of one-on-one, OR an arm-wrestling match, or maybe even disc golf, between p34 and Che'.

It seems like their beef is all over the pages here..........

It's ok though, as I have kids so I am used to the petty bickering.....Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

In Response to Re: officiating: past vs present:
    [QUOTE]I've seen the 80s, 90s, and the present, nothing has changed.  Che is right, the NBA is not clean. But I'm not going to complain about it because it's part of the deal. Che on the other hand is an oxymoron, likes the Celtics but hates the NBA.  HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    Come on. It hasn't changed at all? The flagrant foul is enforced way more liberally. Heat Knicks in the 90's?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: officiating: past vs present : Come on. It hasn't changed at all? The flagrant foul is enforced way more liberally. Heat Knicks in the 90's?
    Posted by existentialparquet[/QUOTE]
          Exactly. Players don't get away with nearly as much contact as they used to. You hear it all the time from Tommy Heinsohn and believe me, Tommy would know.
        Regarding this years changes in rules regarding technicals. I think the officials have mellowed out a little as compared to the preseason and the first few weeks of the season. I'm glad they have mellowed some because some of the technical calls early on were ridicilous. An example was the T. called on Nate early during the season. I can't remember who the C's were playing, but I remember the T. call.
        Another example of officiating that has changed for the better the past 5 years or so is the officials call palming or otherwise called turning the ball over on the dribble.
        They also call lane violations on freethrows more often than they used to. I can remember a game years ago when Walt Frazier was playing. He mocked the lack of officials calling lane violations by being @ the freethrow line and when he was going through the motions of taking his freethrow shot, he held on to the ball. The players that were lined up stepped into the land for rebounding position of course. Walt held the ball and laughed. It was hillareous. Obviously the rule is you can't step into the lane until the player releases the ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I think there's also a rule against trying to fake your ft to draw players too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

mem17

Physical contact in the 60's was not allowed to the degree that it is now. They could have played in Tuxedos back then.

SeemsToMe  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Yeah, maybe the occasional hard foul, but it doesn't seem to me that the play to play shoving back in the 70's and 80's was nearly what it is now.

Part of the lakers' "showtime" was a lack of physical defense.  It seemed to me that the modern defensive game started with detroit's bad boys and then really gelled with the knicks teams of the early 90s.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Ive watched alot of NBA since the mid 1960's...  There have always been issues with refs but I dont believe it was ever as often or blatant as in the past 10-15 years. 

There have always been isolated incidents in all pro sports. The difference being the modern NBA is corrupt imo.

Regarding flagrants someone posted about... well, there was never such a thing as a flagrant foul in the 60s or 70s or 80s to my knowledge. Alot of physical contact went on, especially in the 80's... much, much more than today. In todays game a defender doesnt even have to touch a Lebron and gets called.

Years ago allowed hand checking, no more. Players are much more free to operate because the physicality is much LESS these days. There are exceptions but generally speaking.

The NBA refs today control the game much more than the past. They change the momentum and sometimes the outcome far too often.  They have become an important component in games where in the past, you usually never game them a second thought.

Its so bad now that you cant even complain to the refs... and they have carte blanche to issue technicals with no accountability. How about the one Nate got early in the season. Just arbitrarily give you a T... even if u were an angel... and nobody can call them out on it... nope, you'll just get ejected from the game, fined and maybe soon imprisonment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]mem17 Physical contact in the 60's was not allowed to the degree that it is now. They could have played in Tuxedos back then. SeemsToMe  
    Posted by SeemsToMe[/QUOTE]
    I can't remember much from the 60's except a little from 69 as I was born in 61. However I remember the 70's and 80's very well and there was a lot more contact back than. As I stated earlier, Tommy Heinsohn remarks about the changes in contact several times per season, especially hard fouls to send a message to the opposing team. What McHale did to Rambis back in the 80's would have resulted in getting ejected and a large fine with a suspension now. If I recall correctly, it was ruled as only a shooting foul.
        Even Shaq can't get away with what he did 10 years ago. He used to get away with murder in regards to contact on the offensive end by throwing his shoulder into players and clearing out defenders by swinging his elbows. As another person mentioned on this thread, players can no longer hand check either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

What stands out for me are all the silly touch fouls that get called, totally disrupting the flow of the game.  I do not remember the likes of Sid Borgia or Mendy Rudolph calling all that ticky tack stuff. 

Of course the classic touch foul anecdote occurred years later when Cowens got called for one, then proceeded to deck Mike Newlin while telling the ref, "Now that's a foul!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

[QUOTE]What stands out for me are all the silly touch fouls that get called, totally disrupting the flow of the game.  I do not remember the likes of Sid Borgia or Mendy Rudolph calling all that ticky tack stuff.  Of course the classic touch foul anecdote occurred years later when Cowens got called for one, then proceeded to deck Mike Newlin while telling the ref, "Now that's a foul!"
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

yeah the touch fouls annoy me too. tommy always sighs really hard when they call them.

as for the cowen story, i would have liked to see that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

You want to see Touch fouls by the dozens? There are 4 dvd's available of Celtics games of the 1960's (the Russell years). They are great reminders of the way the game was played 40 to 50 years ago. Post an interest and I will give you the name of a contact.

SeemsToMe 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Even Shaq can't get away with what he did 10 years ago. He used to get away with murder in regards to contact on the offensive end by throwing his shoulder into players and clearing out defenders by swinging his elbows.

Now that Shaq no longer the driving force (money) in NBA, I'm afraid his fouls are now mounting. Crucial in playoff and championship. The refs will not hesitate blowing the whistle on him... he's back to  rookie treatment.

Sections
Shortcuts