Ok boys and girls, here is my first mock draft of the year.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Ok boys and girls, here is my first mock draft of the year.

June 17

1. Clev- Joel Embiid - Back issue become no issue for Cleveland picking a franchise Center

TRADE: I  see Milwaukee trading #2 to Orlando for #4 and #12 picks

2. Orl- Andrew Wiggins- Orlando pairs Wiggins with Oladipo to give themselves a young pair of athletic future stars.

3.Phil- Jabari Parker- Orlando swoops in  to get Wiggins ahead of Philly, but the sixers get the more ready player here with Parker.

4. Mil- Dante Exum- Word is Milwaukee really wants Exum, the trade allow them to get their man AND a #12 pick to boot.

5. Utah- Noah Vonleh- Utah gets another player to mix and match with Favors and Katner inside.

6. Bos- Aaron Gordon- If Ainge decides to stay the course a future front line of Sullinger, Olynyk and Gordon could be very good.

7. LAL- Julius Randle- Touch choice between Smart and Randle here, but I see the Lakers going with the potential 20pt/10 reb player.

8. Sac- Marcus Smart- the Smart pick here allows the Kings to let Thomas walk if he gets too big an offer. But they can also keep him and have a young three guard rotation of McLemore, Thomas and Smart.

9. Char- Doug McDermott-  I can see this pick being traded for a vet player. But if not  McBuckets fills a need as an outside shooter here.

10. Phil- Gary Harris- Philly continues to build through young talent. With Parker and Harris joining Carter-Williams and Noel, they have nice young nucleus.

TRADE:   I have Denver trading pick #11 to Phoenix for picks #14 and #18.

11. Pho- Nik Stauskas- the suns need another shooting Guard and with three picks in the first round they can make this move. For some reason I just see Stauskas playing for Hornacek.

12. Mil- Rodney Hood- With the additional pick acquired from Orlando Milwaukes picks a wing player who can be a big time scorer.

13. Minn- Adreian Payne- even if Loves stays (unlikely) they could use depth at PF behind him. When Love is gone, Payne can help fill the void.

14. Den- Zach LeVine- The Nuggets move down and get an athletic player who could team up with Lawson to form an imposing backcourt in the future.

15. Atl- Dario Saric- a possible Toni Kukoc clone would be a good fit for the Hawks.

16.  Chic- James Young- The Bulls need depth at both Guard spots, young is BPA here.

17.  Bos-  Kyle Anderson- Could develop into a Boris Diaw type of NBA player. If so,  you find a position for him if/when he does.

18.  Den- Jusuf Nurkic- With only Mozgov and the problematic McGee at center, Denver can use the additional pick they got for a Euro project here.

19. Chic- Tyler Ennis- The Bulls continue to draft depth for their backcourt here.

20. Tor- Elfrid Payton-  Raptors need a back up at the point, even IF Lowery stays as an UFA.

21. Okl- Clint Capela- they have 11 players under contract with only Sefolosha as Free agent, but they have a later pick in this draft.  Perkins is on his final year of his deal and Capela could be a possible draft and stash for a year.

22. Mem- TJ Warren- Prince is on his final year of his deal and is old at SF. Warren might be able to step in as a starter in his second year.

23. Utah- Jordan Adams- Jazz can address the depth problem at off guard with this pick.

24. Char- Patric Young- I see Young rising into the first round late and is a perfect fit for Charlotte. With Jefferson and  McBuckets on the front line SOMEONE has play defense after all.

25. Hou- PJ Hairston-  This pick will probably be traded in an effort to g et a third all –star. But if they keep it,  they need depth behind Harden at SG and Hairston has the body to play the three position some also.

26. Mia- Shabazz Napier- Chalmers is likely gone and Napier’s age/experience may allow him to get minutes there.

27. Pho- Jerami Grant- Another athletic young player for Hornacek to groom.

28. LAC- Mitch McGary- Clippers have no depth inside on their roster right now. But since Doc doesn’t like to play rookies I can see the pick being traded.

29. Okl- KJ McDaniels- Sometimes things just DO work out. McDaniels looks like a solid replacement for Sefolosha.

30. SA- Walter Tavares- Typical Spurs draft and stash here. This assumes that both Duncan and Ginobili play another year and that Diaw resigns as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: Ok boys and girls, here is my first mock draft of the year.

Good job!...Like your draft, it includes a very realistic trade up front...kudos on the effort and putting yourself out there for criticism which I'm sure will come, but not from me!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Excellent job - a lot of work there, my man.  How about us trading #6 to the Bulls for 16 and 19?

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I like it, only i'm leaning toward Randle. Because as you said, a potential 20/10 guy. How many of those do you think are in this draft?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like it, only i'm leaning toward Randle. Because as you said, a potential 20/10 guy. How many of those do you think are in this draft?

[/QUOTE]

I think there are 2, but they are Embiid and and Vonleh.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

The Bucks would never make that trade. Exum is too risky to trade out of the top 3 and they can't afford to take such risks.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Bucks would never make that trade. Exum is too risky to trade out of the top 3 and they can't afford to take such risks.

[/QUOTE]

Outside of that, your mock is good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Close but we need a shooter at 17

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Close but we need a shooter at 17

[/QUOTE]  Agree, i don't like that pick at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Read Chad Ford today. I usually take his advice with a grain of salt, but he said something that I thought made a lot sense. He mentioned the idea of Vonleh going 4 to Orlando and pairing him up with Vucevic, which I think is brilliant. Gives you a 4 to space the floor, both guys are options in the low post, but Vonleh brings that "rim-protector" that Orlando doesn't have right now. Plus, the Magic can pick up a PG later on in the draft at #12. They can pick the best of who is left between Napier, Payton (if he's there), Ennis, Clarkson (not a true PG). It's the biggest bang for their buck. They'll get two solid players. Watch for that. 

Future line-up (assuming Payton, Exum, and Smart are gone):

Ennis
    Oladipo/Afflalo
    Harris/Harkless
    Vonleh
    Vucevic

It's a very young, but very talented roster to mold. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Read Chad Ford today. I usually take his advice with a grain of salt, but he said something that I thought made a lot sense. He mentioned the idea of Vonleh going 4 to Orlando and pairing him up with Vucevic, which I think is brilliant. Gives you a 4 to space the floor, both guys are options in the low post, but Vonleh brings that "rim-protector" that Orlando doesn't have right now. Plus, the Magic can pick up a PG later on in the draft at #12. They can pick the best of who is left between Napier, Payton (if he's there), Ennis, Clarkson (not a true PG). It's the biggest bang for their buck. They'll get two solid players. Watch for that. 

Future line-up (assuming Payton, Exum, and Smart are gone):

Ennis
    Oladipo/Afflalo
    Harris/Harkless
    Vonleh
    Vucevic

It's a very young, but very talented roster to mold. 

[/QUOTE]

I too see the Magic doing something like this. I think Vonleh and Payton is their dream scenario. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Great job kdp, lots of effort and sensible picks, sound judgement.

Here is my quick hits with a week to go:

1. Cavs - Embiid

TRADE - Bucks trade pick #2 to the Jazz for picks 5, 23 and a future unprotected 1st rd pick (or an Ersan Ilyasova at 3 years 24 million and disgruntled for Gordan Hayward RFA on QO swap).

2. Jazz - Parker (Mormons rejoice!)

3. Sixers - Wiggins (they're hysterical with joy and tanking is rewarded, ugh)

4. Jazz - Vonleh

5. Bucks - Exum

6. Celtics - Gordon (if no trade of course)

7. Lakers - Smart - Has the ego to handle LA, Randle is not going to be a 20/10, more a 16/8

8. Kings - Randle

TRADE - The Suns trade 14 and 18 to get pick 9 and Nik Stauskas, who I agree is a Hornacek/Ainge type player. I was hoping he'd fall to 17 and Danny all year but not likely anymore.

9. Suns - Stauskas

10. Sixers - Gary Harris

11. Nuggets - Zach LaVine

12. Magic - Elfrid Payton

13. T'Wolves - Dario Saric - McBuckets tempting but Minny wouldn't care if Saric stayed overseas a year and he'd be good for Rubio and vice versa when he does arrive

14. Hornets - Doug McDermott - trade down was w/ thinking a SF shooter like McDer or Hood would be here

15. Hawks - Rodney Hood

16. Bulls - Kyle Anderson - PG skills when star PG has injury problems are a plus but can slide to F and play alongside Rose and Gibson/Noah can cover his poor D. Thibbs would find a good use for him.

17. Celtics - James Young - Great size and potential as a shooter for either SG or SF spot. Very few players have the upside for what Stevens said was so rare, the ability to score 35 points in a game. Young has it.

18. Hornets - Adreian Payne - McRoberts opted out, they need a big who can help right away

19. Bulls - Jordan Adams - will score right away for a playoff team

20. Raptors - Ennis - Lowry insurance 

21. Thunder - Nurkic in a draft and stash

22. Grizzlies - Cleanthony Early - will be playoff ready as an NBA rookie and despite not a high ceiling should be ready to take over for Tayshaun Prince sooner rather than later

23. Bucks - Jerami Grant - another super young high ceiling guy for a team that will tank again

24. Hornets - Jordan Clarkson - combo guard would pair well with Kemba

25. Rockets - Glenn Robinson III - Good defense needed behind Parsons and knows how to win

26. Heat - Shabazz Napier - Replaces Chalmers, also a fearless shooter and gritty defender Miami needed

27. Suns - TJ Warren - Suns are ecstatic to find a perfect system guy at a need position drop a bit

28. Clippers - Mitch McGary - Agree with kdp they need a backup big, McGary can play PF and C

TRADE - Thunder trade this pick to the Bucks for 2nd rd picks 31 and 36, possibly seen as continued 'cheaping out' the Thunder target KJ MaDaniels at 31 and assume that one of Markel Brown, CJ Wilcox or Nick Johnson, SG's who can play some point and are ready to win now, will be there at 36.

29. Bucks - Vasilje Micic - Swoop in to take excellent passing pure PG ahead of Spurs, Micic would be good for Greek Freak and Exum, let them not think they have to be playmakers all the time, Bucks have too many combo-guards in Exum, Mayo and Knight, need a pure PG.

30. Spurs - Probably draft and stash a foreign big but Semaj Christon or Spencer DinWiddie would be good picks for them, big point guards who can play the two, insurance in case Mills leaves or Manu is hurt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Rame - I love us getting Young at 17 -that's who I would like, as well.

However, I am starting a thread today on who I think we should take at #6.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great job kdp, lots of effort and sensible picks, sound judgement.

Here is my quick hits with a week to go:

1. Cavs - Embiid

TRADE - Bucks trade pick #2 to the Jazz for picks 5, 23 and a future unprotected 1st rd pick (or an Ersan Ilyasova at 3 years 24 million and disgruntled for Gordan Hayward RFA on QO swap).

2. Jazz - Parker (Mormons rejoice!)

3. Sixers - Wiggins (they're hysterical with joy and tanking is rewarded, ugh)

4. Jazz - Vonleh

5. Bucks - Exum

6. Celtics - Gordon (if no trade of course)

7. Lakers - Smart - Has the ego to handle LA, Randle is not going to be a 20/10, more a 16/8

8. Kings - Randle

TRADE - The Suns trade 14 and 18 to get pick 9 and Nik Stauskas, who I agree is a Hornacek/Ainge type player. I was hoping he'd fall to 17 and Danny all year but not likely anymore.

9. Suns - Stauskas

10. Sixers - Gary Harris

11. Nuggets - Zach LaVine

12. Magic - Elfrid Payton

13. T'Wolves - Dario Saric - McBuckets tempting but Minny wouldn't care if Saric stayed overseas a year and he'd be good for Rubio and vice versa when he does arrive

14. Hornets - Doug McDermott - trade down was w/ thinking a SF shooter like McDer or Hood would be here

15. Hawks - Rodney Hood

16. Bulls - Kyle Anderson - PG skills when star PG has injury problems are a plus but can slide to F and play alongside Rose and Gibson/Noah can cover his poor D. Thibbs would find a good use for him.

17. Celtics - James Young - Great size and potential as a shooter for either SG or SF spot. Very few players have the upside for what Stevens said was so rare, the ability to score 35 points in a game. Young has it.

18. Hornets - Adreian Payne - McRoberts opted out, they need a big who can help right away

19. Bulls - Jordan Adams - will score right away for a playoff team

20. Raptors - Ennis - Lowry insurance 

21. Thunder - Nurkic in a draft and stash

22. Grizzlies - Cleanthony Early - will be playoff ready as an NBA rookie and despite not a high ceiling should be ready to take over for Tayshaun Prince sooner rather than later

23. Bucks - Jerami Grant - another super young high ceiling guy for a team that will tank again

24. Hornets - Jordan Clarkson - combo guard would pair well with Kemba

25. Rockets - Glenn Robinson III - Good defense needed behind Parsons and knows how to win

26. Heat - Shabazz Napier - Replaces Chalmers, also a fearless shooter and gritty defender Miami needed

27. Suns - TJ Warren - Suns are ecstatic to find a perfect system guy at a need position drop a bit

28. Clippers - Mitch McGary - Agree with kdp they need a backup big, McGary can play PF and C

TRADE - Thunder trade this pick to the Bucks for 2nd rd picks 31 and 36, possibly seen as continued 'cheaping out' the Thunder target KJ MaDaniels at 31 and assume that one of Markel Brown, CJ Wilcox or Nick Johnson, SG's who can play some point and are ready to win now, will be there at 36.

29. Bucks - Vasilje Micic - Swoop in to take excellent passing pure PG ahead of Spurs, Micic would be good for Greek Freak and Exum, let them not think they have to be playmakers all the time, Bucks have too many combo-guards in Exum, Mayo and Knight, need a pure PG.

30. Spurs - Probably draft and stash a foreign big but Semaj Christon or Spencer DinWiddie would be good picks for them, big point guards who can play the two, insurance in case Mills leaves or Manu is hurt

[/QUOTE]

There we have it. Young was my call on the 19th a week before the draft. Good stuff. I have high hopes for the kid.

Much harder to call the pick a week earlier than it is to call them when the Celtics are on the clock and the other players have been picked already as some did and then claimed they 'got it right' ummm no it doesn't work that way, haha.

Went with Gordon at #6 as I had all along. He was of course not available. Smart and Vonleh were the 2nd and 3rd choices. 

Sections
Shortcuts