OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls

why is it that whenever we respond to Laker (troll) posts with actual facts.....we never get replies from these same fans? .....consider...

Laker fans ask how it felt to go 20+ years between titles....yet when we point out that the Lakers went almost 20 years between titles ('50's-70's) there is no reply...

Laker fan asked why it has been so long since we 3-peated....yet no response when we point out that we 8-peated...(and only a Russell injury away from a 10-peat!!) ....no response

Laker fans ignore us when we point out that it took the Lakers over 25 years before they were able to beat the Celtics for the title.....no response

Laker fans point to Boston's titles won back in a league that had only 8 teams...but when we point out that 5 of the Laker titles came years before in a league where they jumped center after baskets, had no shot clock, and a Laker team could actually lose a game by the score of 18-17.....again, no reply...

we point out our historic record vs the Lakers....better record all time in the regular season and an embarrassing head to head Finals record of 9-3 (embarrassing for Laker fans, that is)

I could go on and on.....so I ask the question....why no reply when we bring up these facts?  ....my guess is that the trolls here are young fans who only live in the "now"....older and classier Laker fans understand the great history of these two storied franchises and the battles throughout the years...to folks like jofc, RUWorthy, and others (yes, even you Elias)...this is not directed at you folks at all....you know your stuff and show class...I respect you.....it is the other posters (and they know who they are) that I ask these questions....just wondering...

Peace

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

Re: OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls

...tumbleweed...

Good post, Duke :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

I agree, and respect any fan of any team who can speak knowledgably and rationally/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Duke, because in the end basketball, like all pro sports, are relevant for most people in the moment. History is primarily the preoccupation of die-hard fans and in the end, when you weigh family, country, security, basketball is at the bottom of what most people consider important. 

Now, it doesn't mean what you call "fair-weather fans" do not appreciate sports. But they don't go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning worrying about "their" team. So I appreciate the athleticism, the game strategies, and the battle to win. But once it's over, it's OVER.

I realize there are those fans that will scream, curse, turn over cars, start fires, and even cause a riot over a sporting event, "hating" the opponent. That's why I always put sports in its proper perspective.

And an NBA franchise is successful because of luck and money. The reason there is a preoccupation with the Lakers is because they are the current champs. And because most people are fans of other teams, they hope that L.A. will be knocked off their perch by another team, any team.

I've been a fan of the Lakers since the 1960s. And so I understand that you must and should appreciate a team's success while it happens because it could end at anytime. You want to condemn/belittle the Lakers because they haven't won as many titles as Boston, be my guest. But the Lakers have been to more finals than any other franchise in the history of the NBA, including Boston. I appreciate that fact. I enjoyed the 80s and the 2000s. When the Lakers become mediocre again (and it will happen), I'll just go back and watch some of the championship games where the Lakers won. Besides having those games on DVD, I also have the history of Boston, the History of the Bulls, and some Spurs championship DVDs.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls:
    [QUOTE]why is it that whenever we respond to Laker (troll) posts with actual facts.....we never get replies from these same fans? .....consider... Laker fans ask how it felt to go 20+ years between titles....yet when we point out that the Lakers went almost 20 years between titles ('50's-70's) there is no reply... Laker fan asked why it has been so long since we 3-peated....yet no response when we point out that we 8-peated...(and only a Russell injury away from a 10-peat!!) ....no response Laker fans ignore us when we point out that it took the Lakers over 25 years before they were able to beat the Celtics for the title.....no response Laker fans point to Boston's titles won back in a league that had only 8 teams...but when we point out that 5 of the Laker titles came years before in a league where they jumped center after baskets, had no shot clock, and a Laker team could actually lose a game by the score of 18-17.....again, no reply... we point out our historic record vs the Lakers....better record all time in the regular season and an embarrassing head to head Finals record of 9-3 (embarrassing for Laker fans, that is) I could go on and on.....so I ask the question....why no reply when we bring up these facts?  ....my guess is that the trolls here are young fans who only live in the "now"....older and classier Laker fans understand the great history of these two storied franchises and the battles throughout the years...to folks like jofc, RUWorthy, and others (yes, even you Elias)...this is not directed at you folks at all....you know your stuff and show class...I respect you.....it is the other posters (and they know who they are) that I ask these questions....just wondering... Peace
    Posted by Duke

Sorry, that I am not living in a nursing home, and cannot remember the celtics ever being relevant besides the year of 2008. The LAKERS owned the 80's, and the celtics played 2nd fiddle during that time frame.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

[QUOTE]why is it that whenever we respond to Laker (troll) posts with actual facts.....we never get replies from these same fans? .....consider... Laker fans ask how it felt to go 20+ years between titles....yet when we point out that the Lakers went almost 20 years between titles ('50's-70's) there is no reply... Laker fan asked why it has been so long since we 3-peated....yet no response when we point out that we 8-peated...(and only a Russell injury away from a 10-peat!!) ....no response Laker fans ignore us when we point out that it took the Lakers over 25 years before they were able to beat the Celtics for the title.....no response Laker fans point to Boston's titles won back in a league that had only 8 teams...but when we point out that 5 of the Laker titles came years before in a league where they jumped center after baskets, had no shot clock, and a Laker team could actually lose a game by the score of 18-17.....again, no reply... we point out our historic record vs the Lakers....better record all time in the regular season and an embarrassing head to head Finals record of 9-3 (embarrassing for Laker fans, that is) I could go on and on.....so I ask the question....why no reply when we bring up these facts?  ....my guess is that the trolls here are young fans who only live in the "now"....older and classier Laker fans understand the great history of these two storied franchises and the battles throughout the years...to folks like jofc, RUWorthy, and others (yes, even you Elias)...this is not directed at you folks at all....you know your stuff and show class...I respect you.....it is the other posters (and they know who they are) that I ask these questions....just wondering... Peace
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Because no one gives a crap about what happened in the 8-team NBA league 45 freaking years ago, you cantankerous old coot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

In Response to Re: OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls:
    [QUOTE]Duke, because in the end basketball, like all pro sports, are relevant for most people in the moment. History is primarily the preoccupation of die-hard fans and in the end, when you weigh family, country, security, basketball is at the bottom of what most people consider important.  Now, it doesn't mean what you call "fair-weather fans" do not appreciate sports. But they don't go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning worrying about "their" team. So I appreciate the athleticism, the game strategies, and the battle to win. But once it's over, it's OVER. I realize there are those fans that will scream, curse, turn over cars, start fires, and even cause a riot over a sporting event, "hating" the opponent. That's why I always put sports in its proper perspective. And an NBA franchise is successful because of luck and money. The reason there is a preoccupation with the Lakers is because they are the current champs. And because most people are fans of other teams, they hope that L.A. will be knocked off their perch by another team, any team. I've been a fan of the Lakers since the 1960s. And so I understand that you must and should appreciate a team's success while it happens because it could end at anytime. You want to condemn/belittle the Lakers because they haven't won as many titles as Boston, be my guest. But the Lakers have been to more finals than any other franchise in the history of the NBA, including Boston. I appreciate that fact. I enjoyed the 80s and the 2000s. When the Lakers become mediocre again (and it will happen), I'll just go back and watch some of the championship games where the Lakers won. Besides having those games on DVD, I also have the history of Boston, the History of the Bulls, and some Spurs championship DVDs.  
    Posted by rsalas67m[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Very well put my friend......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

See, this is the source of the whole problem, i.e. "whenever we respond to Laker (troll) posts".. Responding to them just causes them to come back. Its like feeding a stray cat.

Just f in ignore them!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Some fans, and these are fans for all teams have no or very little appreciation for their teams history. I don't understand why this is. Perhaps the Trolls you mention can't answer the questions Duke, or simply choose as you say, not to answer them.

Yep, we are 3 and 9 against the Celtics in the finals. But 7 of those series your team had Bill Russell. That's such a massive advantage. To take a Russell led Celtics team to 7 games in a finals series is a massive achievement IMO.

The Celtics lost their advantage after Russell retired. The 1984 series was a rebirth for the Lakers. But it took the Celtics to bring it about. Was a hard loss as I feel that series was there for us to win. But we just were not good enough in the clutch. We learned however and came back to win 3 more championships in the decade. But I feel we won those titles because of that loss. Similar to what happened in 2008. However that series we were outclassed by the Celtics. But being beaten so badly, helped us go on our current run of two championships and perhaps one more this season.

Celtics 20 years without titles? Bad luck and to an extent bad management are partially to blame. Also a lack of talented players from 93 to the arrival of Paul Pierce. And even then the Boston team was terrible for the most part. At least Danny Ainge has some courage as a GM to make big decisions. I think if he stays at the helm, Boston may not have such a lean period again between championships.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Salas, If not for Jerry West, the current Lakers would not be much. Gasol is a great talent and West engineered him over to LA for a bag of balls. Call that lucky, I call that bunk (remember, Memphis had better offers but pushed this deal through). As for money, Red Aurbach's Celtic organizations were nearly half broke most of the time, and Red was the GM as well as coach; yes, Boston was lucky to have Red but money was no part of it. By the way the league has a salary cap these days.  The reason there is a preoccupation with the Lakers on a Lakers chat board is obvious, but the reason there is one here, is because trolls and quasi-troll Laker fans bring it here; uninvited.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Celtics were lucky to have Red. But luckier to have been in the position to get Russell (thanks to Red's maneuvering).

However if Russell had landed in St Louis, I'm pretty sure there would still be a team in St Louis and they'd have won 8 or more championships in the '60s.

Bold statement. But Russell was the difference between greatness and mediocrity for the Celtics in the 60's.

Greatest swindle in NBA history? Ed Macauley for Bill Russell. How many years service did Ed give the Hawks? Three. Yes they won ONE championship. But only because Russell was injured. Not an even trade in anyones language. And to me the most lopsided trade ever.

Great move on Reds part. It's a trade that makes my head spin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

all good points......you should spend more time on this board....you give an even balance to all the discussions....and you support both sides with facts....I applaud you....same goes for rsalas....and where the heck is jofc these days.....?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls :
    Posted by Shamrocks4ever[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that the five titles before the shot clock were all won by the MINNEAPOLIS Lakers... I don't see the Sacramento Kings taking credit for the Rochester Royals' championship, or the Washington Wizards taking credit for the Syracuse Nationals' title, yet the Kings and Wizards really have the same connection to those teams as the L.A. Lakers do to the Minneapolis Lakers.  If it wasn't for the team's owners sticking with a name that no longer made sense once it left Minnesota, we'd be talking about the L.A. "Whatever the new name would have been" having 12 titles (which is still pretty impressive, by the way) and the Minneapolis Lakers having 5.

The Boston Celtics, of course would still have 17....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls : Not to mention that the five titles before the shot clock were all won by the MINNEAPOLIS Lakers... I don't see the Sacramento Kings taking credit for the Rochester Royals' championship, or the Washington Wizards taking credit for the Syracuse Nationals' title, yet the Kings and Wizards really have the same connection to those teams as the L.A. Lakers do to the Minneapolis Lakers.  If it wasn't for the team's owners sticking with a name that no longer made sense once it left Minnesota, we'd be talking about the L.A. "Whatever the new name would have been" having 12 titles (which is still pretty impressive, by the way) and the Minneapolis Lakers having 5. The Boston Celtics, of course would still have 17....

I've also thought it interesting that L.A. fans and the media never seemed to mention the 5 Minneapolis titles until the past several years... when there seemed to be a collective realization, that "Wait!  If we go back and add those 5 championships that Minneapolis won 60 years ago, that gets us much closer to Boston... why didn't we think of this sooner!?"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]and where the heck is jofc these days.....?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]
    jofc appears to have been banned by the BDC. Why, I have no idea - I really appreciated his balanced takes. Wish he'd come back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls : jofc appears to have been banned by the BDC. Why, I have no idea - I really appreciated the his balanced takes. Wish he'd come back.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget[/QUOTE]

I am very surprised to hear that.  He was a very likeable Laker fan who never argued with anyone and was very objective.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls : [QUOTE]why is it that whenever we respond to Laker (troll) posts with actual facts.....we never get replies from these same fans? .....consider... Laker fans ask how it felt to go 20+ years between titles....yet when we point out that the Lakers went almost 20 years between titles ('50's-70's) there is no reply... Laker fan asked why it has been so long since we 3-peated....yet no response when we point out that we 8-peated...(and only a Russell injury away from a 10-peat!!) ....no response Laker fans ignore us when we point out that it took the Lakers over 25 years before they were able to beat the Celtics for the title.....no response Laker fans point to Boston's titles won back in a league that had only 8 teams...but when we point out that 5 of the Laker titles came years before in a league where they jumped center after baskets, had no shot clock, and a Laker team could actually lose a game by the score of 18-17.....again, no reply... we point out our historic record vs the Lakers....better record all time in the regular season and an embarrassing head to head Finals record of 9-3 (embarrassing for Laker fans, that is) I could go on and on.....so I ask the question....why no reply when we bring up these facts?  ....my guess is that the trolls here are young fans who only live in the "now"....older and classier Laker fans understand the great history of these two storied franchises and the battles throughout the years...to folks like jofc, RUWorthy, and others (yes, even you Elias)...this is not directed at you folks at all....you know your stuff and show class...I respect you.....it is the other posters (and they know who they are) that I ask these questions....just wondering... Peace Posted by Duke Sorry, that I am not living in a nursing home, and cannot remember the celtics ever being relevant besides the year of 2008. The LAKERS owned the 80's, and the celtics played 2nd fiddle during that time frame.
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's an embarrasment of riches no matter what coast you live on. 

Half of my extended family is from the LA area, all sports' fans, mostly Laker fans.  But as much as they argue the one common thing they say is, once the NBA season is done, so is LA sports for the remainder of the year.  So they root passionately and ravenously when they can.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

jofc banned........??? I can't believe it....but, if it is true....board monitors please....rescind this decision and bring jofc back....PLEASE!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OK, now I will ask a question...to the trolls : Not to mention that the five titles before the shot clock were all won by the MINNEAPOLIS Lakers... I don't see the Sacramento Kings taking credit for the Rochester Royals' championship, or the Washington Wizards taking credit for the Syracuse Nationals' title, yet the Kings and Wizards really have the same connection to those teams as the L.A. Lakers do to the Minneapolis Lakers.  If it wasn't for the team's owners sticking with a name that no longer made sense once it left Minnesota, we'd be talking about the L.A. "Whatever the new name would have been" having 12 titles (which is still pretty impressive, by the way) and the Minneapolis Lakers having 5. The Boston Celtics, of course would still have 17....

Oops, my mistake... the L.A. "Whatever the new name would have been" team would have 11 titles, not 12.  I must have been in a hurry when I typed that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

This erroneous story is told time and again on the Celtic board that somehow Pau Gasol was "gift-rapped" to the Lakers by Jerry West. When that deal was done, Jerry West was no longer the GM of the Grizzlies. It was simply a failing and sinking franchise trying to cut costs. And Gasol was far too expensive for the ailing team and the new owners were looking to unload costs.

This isn't new to the NBA. It happens every year. Why did the Sonics get rid of Ray Allen or the Wolves get rid of Kevin Garnett? It was to cut costs. Now Celtic fans will make every possible excuse to argue that what they gave up was equal to the value they received. Truth be told, TRADES ARE NEVER EQUAL! And Laker fans can make the argument that the only reason KG was "gift rapped" to the Celtics was because the GM of the Wolves at the time was none other than your own Kevin McHale. And that is a fact unlike the one about Jerry West.

I don't like the system that results in the richer NBA franchises having a significant advantage over some of the penny-pinching owners. But life isn't fair. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Read in the Magic/Bird book "When the Game Was Ours" that Bird enquired into getting Garnett to Indiana. This wasn't long before the trade with the Celtics. McHale didn't give an impression then that he was willing to trade Garnett.

Bird seemed to indicate that McHale may not have had the final, or any say in regards to the Garnett trade to Boston.

However I don't see any likelihood of Garnett going to the Pacers. Why leave Minnesota to play for the Pacers? Having Pierce and Allen would have defiantly helped Garnett decide on playing for the Celtics. I'm sure he must have had some say in the trade?

Truth may never fully be known. Garnett should know the whole story. So it may come out in an autobiography at some point.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

It's also been reported on ESPN The Magazine, the source of the reporting below:

Myth:
    L.A. and Boston were reborn this season with two legal megadeals.
    Truth: At least the Celts gave up Al Jefferson for KG. How was the Gasol trade legal? If I kill my mailman and no one ever finds out, does that make it legal? Jerry West's old team (Memphis) gift-wrapped its best player for the team that once employed West for 40 years, taking back a pupu platter (Kwame Brown, a third-string guard and two crappy picks). This happened even though the Lakers' season would have been over without a center. Had this trade taken place in a fantasy league, it would have led to three weeks of vicious e-mails, crumbled friendships, guys quitting and maybe even a fistfight. In the NBA, it led to the Lakers being presented the 2008 Western Conference trophy by … yup, a crying Jerry West. The NBA, where chicanery happens.

(Sorry, Chad—I tried my best.)

For more Bill Simmons, check out THE SPORTS GUY'S WORLD