OK, WTF is going on with this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

OK, WTF is going on with this team?

Four days ago I was ready to call the season a disaster and wait til next year.  Did the return of Avery Bradley make this much difference?  If so then he is an automatic MVP candidate.  The Cs went from losing by double digits to winning by double digits.  Does that show up in Bradley's plus-minus?  Last night was like a playoff game and you could tell who the better team was.  The Cs had this one in hand and the Knicks were desperate in the 4th quarter.  They lived by the long bomb and they died by the long bomb.  Carmello stopped trusting his team and went solo.  Chandler didn't look like a seasoned veteran defensive presence, but Garnett did.  Also, Jason Terry came up big with the floater in the lane and then I even saw him make the right rotation/switch.

BTW, imagine being the poor sap who has to go against Bradley?  I would want to retire after 12 minutes of that hawking.  Ole Avery better look out for the big pick at half court.  I hope his teammates have his back and call it out or he will be missing some teeth.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Re: OK, WTF is going on with this team?

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We just put our team back together from last year....KG, Pierce, Bass, Bradley, and Rondo.

We can win a championship with that team.

[/QUOTE]

We'd have to be very, very lucky to win it all. We still need some help, a few good wins won't change that fact imo. But bradley seems to be very valuable for sure.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to basketbert's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We just put our team back together from last year....KG, Pierce, Bass, Bradley, and Rondo.

[/QUOTE]

We'd have to be very, very lucky to win it all. We still need some help, a few good wins won't change that fact imo. But bradley seems to be very valuable for sure.

[/QUOTE]

We almost won it last year without Bradley.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but we got lucky then as well. "Rose" ring a bell?

PLus the oldies are 1 year closer to retirement. I think this team will fall short, Kirk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Kirk:

I don't buy it.  You can't go from being that bad to being that good because of Avery Bradley.  He is excellent but he's not Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson.  Why is Terry suddenly "getting it" on defense?  Why is Pierce suddenly making use of his devastating midrange game instead of jacking threes and dribbling into three defenders at once?  How did we outrebound AND oustscrore the Knicks in the paint last night?  Why is the bench suddenly making huge contributiuons?  Were they sandbagging for some reason?

I'll take it but I don't understand it.  I don't think we went from being a sub-500 team to a Conference Finals team.  We are suddenly executing.  What gives?  Even Doc looks more competent.  The whole team is standing up straighter.  Green looks more than serviceable.  Sullinger went from being a good draft steal to being a ferocious beast against top talent.  I think they were sandbagging.  I have no clue why but I think they were dogging it.

shines

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I  don't believe they were dogging it. The majority of the team?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I think the "data" so far does suggest its bradley....we all agree he's no jordan, but his play may light a fire under the others. Idk, he could be our MVP.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

if that is the case, someone needs to tell Terry that its time to turn his game on and get with it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Can you explian it Bert?  The question becomes:  Is Avery Bradley the piece that makes the Celtics go?  Did he make all those guys better?

Maybe not?  OK, so then did it just take this long for these vets to get their game legs and sort out what it means to hit the glass and box out or fight a pick and rotate?  That's scary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to shines01's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can you explian it Bert?  The question becomes:  Is Avery Bradley the piece that makes the Celtics go?  Did he make all those guys better?

Maybe not?  OK, so then did it just take this long for these vets to get their game legs and sort out what it means to hit the glass and box out or fight a pick and rotate?  That's scary.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I can't explain it either. But remember what happened last year when Doc started playing bradley?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

OH yeah, Bert...I don't think it was a bunch of individuals all dogging it.  Rather, I think it was a management decision.  Call me crazy, but I'm convinced Bellichick does it all the time.  Early in the season he never shows potential playoff opponents the packages they might see.  There are several examples in the past couple years where the Pats play the same opponent even and then completely dominate them three weeks later.  If we were to meet San Fran in the Super Bowl, I think they would see a completely different team than they beat a coupole of weeks ago.

I don't know why they do this; I imagine they must have their reasons.  I just don't think the return of Avery Bradley accouonts for a complete change in game planning, posture, points in the paint, Jason Terry finally showing up...  Like I said, I think he is a unique and intense player, but he isn't an MVP type.  Heck, maybe he is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I can't explain it either. But remember what happened last year when Doc started playing bradley?

[/QUOTE]

Good point

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I have never played basketball at any level, bit I have played soccer for a long time. I can tell you that every team really appreciates having a bradley-type player to defend and generally do the dirty work. It does rub off on you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Also, as I said, I would seriously HATE trying to get into an offense with Avery Bradly guarding me.  So then the question is:  why doesn't everyone learn to play defense like that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We almost won it last year without Bradley.

[/QUOTE]

Based on last year we had a good shot at a championship. This year without the breaks we got with other team's injuries we need another big man to suport KG.  There is no substitute and Melo can not provide it. We need to go out and make a trade for one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They started 15 and 17 last year.  they started playing well when Allen got hurt and Bradley started playing.

Not saying he is the difference, just pointing out the facts.

This team still needs another big.  Unless they think Wilcox can give them good minutes when he gets back. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]

Also, as I said, I would seriously HATE trying to get into an offense with Avery Bradly guarding me.  So then the question is:  why doesn't everyone learn to play defense like that?

[/QUOTE]

It may be a mindset. Kind of how some people don't mind getting their hands dirty and some (most) do. I mean, defending like a rabid bulldog is not glamorous or anything. Doesn't get you MVP honors very easily, like scoring or assists.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They started 15 and 17 last year.  they started playing well when Allen got hurt and Bradley started playing.

Not saying he is the difference, just pointing out the facts.

This team still needs another big.  Unless they think Wilcox can give them good minutes when he gets back. 

[/QUOTE]

Yep, the facts do suggest AB is the difference.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I can still see us getting Martin if some of the better options don't work out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because they are lazy.

[/QUOTE]

Well, you've got to have the ability as well. I mean, PP will never be a defender like bradley even if he wanted to. But RR?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Here is the reason. Prior to Bradley the Celtics D was ranked 11th. Pretty good, not great. Teams had the most success against us in transition or in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock. Our Defense was not good in those ten seconds. After ten seconds though our defense became Dominant.

Enter Bradley: Bradley's ball pressure is slowing teams down from getting their offense setup and stops teams from getting shots off in the first ten seconds when the Celtics were most vulnerable. In short, his ball pressure delays the other side and gives us time to set our defense. Once the Celtics defense is set, it is deadly.

That is not all of it either. Bradley fights through pick and rolls so well our bigs are able to get back quickly after showing. It keeps them in postion to break up interior offense and keeps them in postions for rebounds. To sum up Bradley's D is fixing a lot of problems. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because they are lazy.

[/QUOTE]

Well, you've got to have the ability as well. I mean, PP will never be a defender like bradley even if he wanted to. But RR?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, teams used to play full court presses.

Now if the coach told a team to full court press, half the guys would be on the phone with their agents asking for a trade.

[/QUOTE]

Pitono was the last one I remember that did that.

Sections
Shortcuts