Olynyk and Bird comparison

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Olynyk and Bird comparison

In response to concord27's comment:

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Olynyk is like Bird on offense, but he is not the rebounder, defender, or passer Bird was.

He is no way near as good as Bird on offense either.

[/QUOTE]

I would disagree. He has every move.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Re: Olynyk and Bird comparisonge

Pushing it on the comparison, we can only hope. Will KO even be a starter this season? I agree with mostly ever one that it was a good pick in the draft. Who knows when some one puts on a Celtic uniform how good they will be. You start out as a team player and go from there when you put on the Green.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Why compare him to Bird, cause he's white, or a former Celtic? In any case, a player that comes to mind who was 7' with a sweet outside shot and some inside moves was Bob McAdoo. For any of you youngsters who bothered to Google McAdoo, yes, Buffaloe had an NBA franchise once upon a time. Larry Bird is in many smart peoples conversations as a top five and certainly in nearly everybody's top 10 of ALL TIME! Who was the Larry Bird who carried the Sycamores and the Celtics (pre his injured state in1987 on), think Connie Hawkins; Larry had a lot of playground majic in his game. Why is Larry such a legend - take the Street game of the Hawk and the refined game of Jerry West (plus West's heart) and combine that and you get a legendary Hick from French Lick. Kelly who? Let's hope he has as good a career as Don Nelson or Silas, that would be plenty.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

In response to futbal's comment:

Why compare him to Bird, cause he's white, or a former Celtic? In any case, a player that comes to mind who was 7' with a sweet outside shot and some inside moves was Bob McAdoo. For any of you youngsters who bothered to Google McAdoo, yes, Buffaloe had an NBA franchise once upon a time. Larry Bird is in many smart peoples conversations as a top five and certainly in nearly everybody's top 10 of ALL TIME! Who was the Larry Bird who carried the Sycamores and the Celtics (pre his injured state in1987 on), think Connie Hawkins; Larry had a lot of playground majic in his game. Why is Larry such a legend - take the Street game of the Hawk and the refined game of Jerry West (plus West's heart) and combine that and you get a legendary Hick from French Lick. Kelly who? Let's hope he has as good a career as Don Nelson or Silas, that would be plenty.

KO has far more shooting range than McAdoo ever did. Better passer with much higher basketball IQ, too. Nelson and Silas were good players, but KO has the skill set to do more than those two ever dreamed of doing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I know, Mcadoo only was ROY; 3 consecutive year scoring title (each year averaged 30+) and the NBA last player to average over 30 points and 15 rebounds in one season. What was I thinking, KO had a kick azz summer league...sorry to compare him to Mcadoo. Nellies career average per 36 mins was 18.6 and 8.6 (points and rebounds). If Kelly ends up between the two of them, that will have been a great great pick by Danny. But the odds of him really being in the class of Mcadoo are very slim indeed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Please do not insult those of us, especially myself for pulling the race card for comparing KO to Bird because both are white. Although I'm aware that Bob McAdoo was a great player for Buffalo, I don't remember much of his game because I rarely if ever saw him play whereas being a long time Celtics fan I saw Bird play quite often, therefore knowing of Birds game and hearing about KO's skillset I drew my comparison. Race was in no way part of my reasoning, so again please don't insult my intelligiance with your idiotic assumptions. 

Hetch

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to vertmont's comment:

Pushing it on the comparison, we can only hope. Will KO even be a starter this season? I agree with mostly ever one that it was a good pick in the draft. Who knows when some one puts on a Celtic uniform how good they will be. You start out as a team player and go from there when you put on the Green.

I believe you are right; a good indicator would be if he was a starter right away. Another would be if he leads the team to a 60 win season(Bird was the primary impetus for turning a 20 something winner into a serious playoff contender). And lastly, winning Rookie of the Year. If he can do the last two, then the comparisons would not only be apt, but uncanny. The difference is that fans weren't totally shocked when Bird pulled this off. Everyone would be if Dirk 2.0 did the same. Come on KO, shock us!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

It's too bad he won't get to learn about how to be a player in the NBA from Garnett.  The drive and intensity of Bird was off the charts.  Then you have guys say they NEVER saw anyone as intense as Garnett.  Olynyk has some skills; if he has the drive and intensity to go with it...  If he has a willingness to dive for loose balls and just take games away from other teams with his gamesmanship then he will be something very special.  I have no idea about this...I saw limitied footage of him from college on draft night and watched the highlights from summere ball.  I still wonder about the starting five.  Who is the starting power forward Olynyk or Sullinger?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Hetch I'll call you nutty :)

Did I miss Olynyk lead his team which a collection of motley players to a national championship game in April?

If he leads boston and wins 61 regular season games. If he leads Boston to the Atlantic Division title THIS SEASON. If he wins a championship in his first few seasons. If he wins the league MVP in sometime in his first 5 seasons .... 

Then ... THEN I think the discussion can begin.

Right now it seems like wishful thinking and hope. Not that there is anything wrong with hope.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to Skins and Heart's comment:

Hetch I'll call you nutty :)

Did I miss Olynyk lead his team which a collection of motley players to a national championship game in April?

If he leads boston and wins 61 regular season games. If he leads Boston to the Atlantic Division title THIS SEASON. If he wins a championship in his first few seasons. If he wins the league MVP in sometime in his first 5 seasons .... 

Then ... THEN I think the discussion can begin.

Right now it seems like wishful thinking and hope. Not that there is anything wrong with hope.

Come on Skins, you expanded on my post w/out any nod whatsoever. Where's the love?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

LOL, sorry Tomobo, didn't see your post there. Forgot about Bird winning ROY as well! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

I have already said he will have people whispering Bird comarisons.  He appears to be as at Bird's level when he was at Indiana State.  Can anyone think of anybody else who plays more "Bird" style than Kelly?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to Skins and Heart's comment:

LOL, sorry Tomobo, didn't see your post there. Forgot about Bird winning ROY as well! 

No problem, you had my back!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Hetch, to bring up race is not always "pulling the race card". For years now, many commentators, including intelligent and influential ones on ESPN for example, have compared various white hoops players to Larry. That pattern (key idea here) is essentially racial profiling in this case of white basketball players. Whether intentional or not, it serves to diminish the accomplishment and stature of Bird, who it can be argued in his prime was the best all around player ever (although Oscar Robertson would surely differ and LeBron is making a case as did Magic), by not comparing him to the entire group but to a minority within it. The odds of Kelly being in this elite group (statistically as well as basketball wise) are so minute it is absurd therefore to make such statements. Heck, Kevin Durant, the second best player in the game today is not even in the conversation of best all time all around players. Does anybody think Kelly is comparable to Durante (who by the way grew up idolizing Larry).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

Hetch, to bring up race is not always "pulling the race card". For years now, many commentators, including intelligent and influential ones on ESPN for example, have compared various white hoops players to Larry. That pattern (key idea here) is essentially racial profiling in this case of white basketball players. Whether intentional or not, it serves to diminish the accomplishment and stature of Bird, who it can be argued in his prime was the best all around player ever (although Oscar Robertson would surely differ and LeBron is making a case as did Magic), by not comparing him to the entire group but to a minority within it. The odds of Kelly being in this elite group (statistically as well as basketball wise) are so minute it is absurd therefore to make such statements. Heck, Kevin Durant, the second best player in the game today is not even in the conversation of best all time all around players. Does anybody think Kelly is comparable to Durante (who by the way grew up idolizing Larry).

Kelly's strengths and his style are drawing caomparisons to Bird's back when Bird was a rookie.  Sure, KO is not remotely on Bird's level of play in executing this style.  But the comparisons will continue if Kelly keeps playing like he did at smmer league.  And, remember, KO has been on an outrageouse learning and improving curve since he started that redshirt year about 28 months ago. Durant does not play like Bird.  He may end up being as good as Bird, but he does not play like Bird.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

are we really comparing Kelly "The Canadian Accountant" Olynyk to Larry Legend and Kevin McHale???

my first impression, regardless of the falicy of projecting any WCC stats to the NBA ... he's WAY too "nice" to even mention in the same sentence ... both those guys were mean SOBs on the court 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticNut. Show CelticNut's posts

i noticed KO's release on his jump shot which is much lower than Bird, McHale, and Nowitzki.  It could result in more of his shots being blocked.  He may have to raise his shot release, which may reduce his shooting accuracy.  We'll see how teams defend him...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Just rewatched his DraftXpress vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UYG1Ksrnm4

What stood out is that all of his "weaknesses" came from Gonzaga playing him at the 5. KO, according to Scal who worked with him before the draft is a NBA 4 and eventually a 3. KO's weaknesses of rebounding v. Centers, paint protection, and athletic ability were exposed with him playing in that Center spot.

As a 4, he's defending and rebouding against smaller, weaker guys, so he won't be as exposed. I can't wait to see this guy play with Rondo, Sully, Green and Bradley. That could be something special, a really solid small lineup. Between Sully, Green and Olynyk, they should be able to get rebounds, and team-tag the paint. Maybe a Hibbert or a Howard will require a bigger lineup, but against smaller teams, we should be fine.

Excitement!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

His game reminds me a lot more of Michael Jordan than Larry Bird.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Louisio's comment:

His game reminds me a lot more of Michael Jordan than Larry Bird.

Nah!  Looks like a hybrid of Magic and Michael to me.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

We really have no clue how he will be... like someone else said, lets see how he does for a full season before we say what his potential is... if anyone thinks the summer league is a true indication of someones potential then they are dreaming...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to postal5's comment:

Can anyone think of anybody else who plays more "Bird" style than Kelly?

Kevin Durant

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to CelticNut's comment:

i noticed KO's release on his jump shot which is much lower than Bird, McHale, and Nowitzki.  It could result in more of his shots being blocked.  He may have to raise his shot release, which may reduce his shooting accuracy.  We'll see how teams defend him...

The arc of the shot is really key if one is playing against a superior athlete. However, you also need strength & savvy to create enough space to be able to do that. Bird/Kevin had it. Seriously though, the Michael/Magic analogy sounds conveniently PC(no offense). Did I miss the sarcasm? Will KO learn to TKO the opposition? 

Sections
Shortcuts