OLYNYK LOOKING WOEFULLY OVERMATCHED vs NUGGETS

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

Re: OLYNYK LOOKING WOEFULLY OVERMATCHED vs NUGGETS

1. Comparing Olynyk to Troy Murphy does a disservice to Murphy. Murphy rebounded and shot at NBA double-double level for 5-6 years. He was known as a physical rebounder.

2. Bass is Bass, but not many people will ever out-physical him. What can Olynyk do to offset his tall but slow-twitch body?

3. Green is seldom overmatched in height, speed, and jumping ability. But in nearly every other demonstrable area - vision, ball skills, connectedness, leadership, court awareness, strength, imagination, tenacity, passing, you name it -  he is not at NBA level. I don't see him as really having all those skils but simply sitting on them, not caring enough to display them. To me he simply doesn't have them.

3. Bradley will end up a 10+ year pro who will still not be able to execute what should be simple plays for an NBA combo-guard. I don't know what it is - small hands, short arms, too great a distance between eyes, brain and hands - but if you take last night for instance, he regularly throws the ball to nowhere, takes ill-timed shots, makes goofy fouls. It all comes from playing hard, too. Effort seems always there, just not good judgement or skill in execution.

All three of these guys have the physical package. Bradley and Bass could be taller for the positions they play, but they are physically there, as is Green. And because of that they are established NBA players.

If given the choice, most coaches will say, "Take blood over brains." That's the ruling wisdom in the NBA. There's more guys with physical skills and not so much going on upstairs than there are heady, smart players who can't compete physically. 

I want Olynyk to be good, but, man, he's been tough to watch.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Need a real point guard in the rotation, who can make others better players.  A point guard with fire in the belly, chip on his shoulders, and can mouth at his teammates when they are dogging, and has respect of his teammates.  Know anyone?

[/QUOTE]

Yes.Rajon Rondo.He will make everybody better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

He will be fine. Give him time.....Celts aren't going anywhere this year anyways. The tanking process is in the works. I bet you see a big turnaround from this year and next year. He has the skills.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He already gave us a glimpse of what he can do when he scored 21 points against the Hawks.

The key here is patience.

[/QUOTE]

I've got nothing but time.  But I don't think there is anything wrong with the camp that projecting him to be a poor-man Chris Kaman or a rich-man Acie Earl and if it turns out he is a poor-man Nowitzki, great.  The other way around is a lot more debilitating for some fans.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

[QUOTE]

Tell Fab Melo that he will be given 4 years to develop.

Potential is a word for hasn't done anything and hope that he will.  Oly needs to be compared to a good rotation player before we talk about people like Bosh and Dirk.

[/QUOTE]

Fab Melo and JaJuan Johnson both have something in common.

Both of them are not very bright when it comes to the game of basketball.

Kelly Olynyk has the height and the brains.

It's just a matter of time.

Worst case scenario is he ends up a good rotation player.

[/QUOTE]

So 7 footers get 4 years to develop only if they are "bright"?

BTW  Johnson is not a 7 footer.

Unless something changes "best" case is if he turns out to be a good rotation player. At this point he isn't that yet.  That is why its not reasonable to compare to someone like Dirk that has proven it for years.

I want Oly to play well,  only problem is he hasn't

[/QUOTE]

Did Fab Melo, Shoot threes? Did Fab Melo, showing an ability to pass like a guard. Did Fab melo, ever once put up 20 points? 

KLynk,  is going to be a good solid player. Probably limited on the defensive end but a good shooter, a good passer and a solid rebounder. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]

Dirk's rookie stats.

8.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 40.5% FG, 20.6% 3-PT FG, and 77.3% FT

Oly's rookie stats.

6.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 40.9% FG, 30.6% 3-PT FG, and 85.7% FT

[/QUOTE]

Finally someone sane. Obviously becoming the player Dirk is would be a real feat. But to assume Kynk is not an NBA player because he isn't dominating the game his rookie year is absurd. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

KO is a solid rotational player ALREADY.  He does a little bit of everything and plays with good hustle (it looks like da's original assesment about him not being a star but a glue player was spot on),  But offensively he has been a dissapointment, especially in the post where he was very good in college. He just lacks lower body strength to move guys down low (he gets bumped off spots very easily) coupled with his lack of athletism has made him look inept at times.  This also hurts him on the boards when he tries boxing out.  Since he is 22 he probably doesnt have much  more upside skill wise, but he can def get stronger, another 10-15 lbs would help him a lot. A summer  full of squats and deadlifts would help.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Forget the game.......but saw KO make a bounce pass to Sully for an easy layup in between 2 defenders...

He is already a better passer than Bradley or Crawford...or probably Green, too.

Can't wait to see him play with Rondo.  Rondo, Sully and KO may be our 3 best passers.  He will be a good, solid pro, barring injury!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Lots of good points about Olynik and also about the situation around him.  Count me in as one who sees him improving over a couple of years.

However, he certainly needs to get into the weight room to build much more strength which will give him a much better NBA future.

I am a bit surprised that he has not already gained some strength in the weight room as he has been a pro now since late June.  I am also surprised that Sullenger has not already done more to transform his body strength-wise as a pro player.  Perhaps the C's have three year plans for this type of development for their younger big men.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Unrealistic expectations.

Oly is a rookie and he is learning new skills at PF against more experienced, and in many cases more athletic, big men.

Oly is a work in progress and should be getting healthy minutes on the Celts (not D League) to accelerate his development against better competition.

In 2-3 years Oly will be a force on this team and will be a foundation to a strong versitile frontcourt along with Sully.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I suggested prior to this season starting that one never get too high or too low, there is no enjoyment or true evaluation happening for the casual fan in a rebuilding year. 

This post is a reactionary response.  How much of Oly's play, or any of the rookie/young guys is the result of coach putting them in a position outside their comfort zone in order to make them better players, to toughen them up mentally. 

The result of this year is improve as a roster, not win games, if you live and die with each game you will be drained by season's end, there isn't going to be a magnificant turn around this year. 

In 2006 I was screaming at the TV every game, yelling at Doc to start Rondo, put Telfair on the bench, stick Ryan Gomes on the bench and play AL Jefferson at PF and Perk at center together, give Leon Powe some minutes... it never happened.  Why?

Because even if he had, we would have won just enough games to be the last seed in the playoffs at best, or just enough games to bounce us from the lottery at worst.

It will happen or begin to happen next year... not this year.  Stop watching or at least stop caring, take enjoyment from the small snippets of improvement you see in the young guys but realize, coach is playing Oly at center to toughen him up, so when he finally is ready to start at power forward he will be the best player he can be.  Even if Rondo comes back this season, they're not going to turn it around this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oly is going to be a guy who averages 13 and 7.  Which is fine. He wont be a star, he wont be a bust. it is his rookie year. He was playing last year in a weak conference. He needs time to adjust.

[/QUOTE]

Agree 37stories. I live in Spokane, WA am forced into watching Gonzaga games {hate GU} and the Conference he played in is one step above top AAU competition. In my opinion, the NBA game down low centers around good footwork, positioning and strong but{t}/leg combat. One off season working at getting stronger and positioning and he will be a solid player. He is a very good passer and that you cannot teach. He seems to be rushing shots as well so he will need to "slow down" that portion of his game well. And for sure, I will say that I like Sullinger more everytime I see him and he "might" turn into our enforcer which we dearly need. I do not see too many guys going after him when commits those hard fouls. Both of these guys will look a heck of alot better as soon as we get a real Center playing next to them as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

"I don't know what it is - small hands, short arms, too great a distance between eyes, brain and hands - but if you take last night for instance, he regularly throws the ball to nowhere, takes ill-timed shots, makes goofy fouls. It all comes from playing hard, too. Effort seems always there, just not good judgement or skill in execution."

Every time Bradley gets the ball, I think, "Oh God, here it comes."

He is one of the worst passers I have ever seen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"I don't know what it is - small hands, short arms, too great a distance between eyes, brain and hands - but if you take last night for instance, he regularly throws the ball to nowhere, takes ill-timed shots, makes goofy fouls. It all comes from playing hard, too. Effort seems always there, just not good judgement or skill in execution."

Every time Bradley gets the ball, I think, "Oh God, here it comes."

He is one of the worst passers I have ever seen.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe some of it is that nobody is cutting or not cutting at the right time or where they should be moving to? Maybe he is just not a smart player but it is pretty hard to judge any of our young guys right now with the debacles that are going on out there on a nightly basis. I understand and see your point Chris and if we can upgrade, I am all for it but he is one of the only guys on this team that goes out plays hard no matter what the situation is. However Sir, I also understand that all of us want players that not only play hard but play well, especially for the salary he will demand.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to melwittss' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Comparing Olynyk to Troy Murphy does a disservice to Murphy. Murphy rebounded and shot at NBA double-double level for 5-6 years. He was known as a physical rebounder.

2. Bass is Bass, but not many people will ever out-physical him. What can Olynyk do to offset his tall but slow-twitch body?

3. Green is seldom overmatched in height, speed, and jumping ability. But in nearly every other demonstrable area - vision, ball skills, connectedness, leadership, court awareness, strength, imagination, tenacity, passing, you name it -  he is not at NBA level. I don't see him as really having all those skils but simply sitting on them, not caring enough to display them. To me he simply doesn't have them.

3. Bradley will end up a 10+ year pro who will still not be able to execute what should be simple plays for an NBA combo-guard. I don't know what it is - small hands, short arms, too great a distance between eyes, brain and hands - but if you take last night for instance, he regularly throws the ball to nowhere, takes ill-timed shots, makes goofy fouls. It all comes from playing hard, too. Effort seems always there, just not good judgement or skill in execution.

All three of these guys have the physical package. Bradley and Bass could be taller for the positions they play, but they are physically there, as is Green. And because of that they are established NBA players.

If given the choice, most coaches will say, "Take blood over brains." That's the ruling wisdom in the NBA. There's more guys with physical skills and not so much going on upstairs than there are heady, smart players who can't compete physically. 

I want Olynyk to be good, but, man, he's been tough to watch.

[/QUOTE]
    Agree with your entire post...

KO is still learning...he lacks quick feet laterally, so his low post D sucks...but he has decent straight line speed...his lack of UPs and short arms means he has to get much stronger to be able to box out and rebound, which he can do, eventually...but he's NOT a true 5, yet...without more upper body size and strength, he'll never be anything other than a high post forward, taking 15 footers and passing from there

[/QUOTE]

I do not think KO will ever be part of a Starting 5 that contends but he sure has enough skills to a real contibuter off the bench. And I do not think he is a "problem child" so he should fit in nicely as a bench player on a Contending Team.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What can Olynyk do to offset his tall but slow-twitch body?

Bird and McHale were both slow twitch..Give KO some time he will be there!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

[QUOTE]

Celts gave up on Billups and Joe Johnson before they completed their rookie season.

Both players became All-Stars.

Give Oly time to develop.

[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU FOR BRINGING A LITTLE BIT OF SANITY TO THIS FORUM !

YES, LET'S REMEMBER HOW THE CELTICS GAVE UP ON BOTH JOE JOHNSON AND CHAUNCEY BILLUPS DURING THEIR ROOKIE SEASONS

TAP THE BRAKES ON ALL THE NEGATIVITY !

AINGE WILL MAKE 2 MORE TRADES BEFORE THE DEADLINE AND RONDO IS COMING BACK....

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS TEAM THE 2ND HALF OF THE SEASON.

I DO ADMIT I WAS DEAD WRONG ON GERALD WALLACE THOUGH......

WATCH RONDO COME BACK AND THE CELTICS GO 15-5 IN HIS FIRST 20 GAMES......

LET THE CURRENT ROSTER PILE UP THE LOSSES AND LET'S ENJOY SEEING BROOKLYN AND ATLANTA LOSE AS WELL...

NEGATIVE NEGATIVE NEGATIVE, BOSTON SPORTS FANS NEED TO LIGHTEN UP AND LEARN TO ENJOY WATCHING OUR TEAMS PLAY INSTEAD OF CONSTANTLY TEARING THEM DOWN.