one and done

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: one and done

In response to damfuno's comment:

Every one knows you have to have some semblance of momentum coming into the playoffs.  As much as I would like to think the Celtics have a chance I think that North Korea stands a better chance of beginning negotiations with the US than the Celtics have of winning the first round.  I wish we were not in the playoffs and entered the lottery..........not that that will help...........I honestly believe that KG should hang em up after this year..........yes he is a great leader but he is too old school for today's ballers.  Pierce might be good coming off the bench but I think that the rebuilding must start in earnest.  There are too many glaring holes that need to be filled.  We have nobody that we can even come close to counting on for 10 rebounds a game..........we have no go to scorers..........and if we are considering a championship we need at least 2 if not 3 with a good supporting cast that on any given night could go off for 20.........watching the Cs self destruct is not a pretty sight ..............I am a die hard Celtic fan thru and thru but you need also to be true to what you see and what I see is a train wreck about to happen...........I honestly believe we can get swept in the first round.........

I think it's a good bet.

I wanted to break the team up. Other than a fluke 7 game win streak this team has been below 500 all year.

With that said Pierce and KG are warriors and I am glad they get the chance to finish up their careers here, if that is what they want.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Every one knows you have to have some semblance of momentum coming into the playoffs.  As much as I would like to think the Celtics have a chance I think that North Korea stands a better chance of beginning negotiations with the US than the Celtics have of winning the first round.  I wish we were not in the playoffs and entered the lottery..........not that that will help...........I honestly believe that KG should hang em up after this year..........yes he is a great leader but he is too old school for today's ballers.  Pierce might be good coming off the bench but I think that the rebuilding must start in earnest.  There are too many glaring holes that need to be filled.  We have nobody that we can even come close to counting on for 10 rebounds a game..........we have no go to scorers..........and if we are considering a championship we need at least 2 if not 3 with a good supporting cast that on any given night could go off for 20.........watching the Cs self destruct is not a pretty sight ..............I am a die hard Celtic fan thru and thru but you need also to be true to what you see and what I see is a train wreck about to happen...........I honestly believe we can get swept in the first round.........

I think it's a good bet.

I wanted to break the team up. Other than a fluke 7 game win streak this team has been below 500 all year.

With that said Pierce and KG are warriors and I am glad they get the chance to finish up their careers here, if that is what they want.

I want them to finish in Boston too if possible.  I see no reason why we can't build around them.  No one is going to trade us the farm for them.  KG will have value on the defensive end another year.  He needs some help.  We can't expect him to be the only big man the entire year on this team.  Ludricous.  Pierce has played exceptional ball , especially after the break. I can't name 5 small forwards I would take over him now.  See no reason he isn't just as effective next year.  The problem is not these two guys,  its the rest of the team not stepping up.  I think we got just what was expected of them two guys.

Without injuries to RR,  Sully, and Barbosa  I am sure our record would have been quite a bit better.  We still need someone from the guard position that can actually shoot the ball and/or drive to the basket.  We have one big I think can help us be he doesn't get enough time IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

I think it's a good bet.

I want them to finish in Boston too if possible.  I see no reason why we can't build around them.  No one is going to trade us the farm for them.  KG will have value on the defensive end another year.  He needs some help.  We can't expect him to be the only big man the entire year on this team.  Ludricous.  Pierce has played exceptional ball , especially after the break. I can't name 5 small forwards I would take over him now.  See no reason he isn't just as effective next year.  The problem is not these two guys,  its the rest of the team not stepping up.  I think we got just what was expected of them two guys.

Without injuries to RR,  Sully, and Barbosa  I am sure our record would have been quite a bit better.  We still need someone from the guard position that can actually shoot the ball and/or drive to the basket.  We have one big I think can help us be he doesn't get enough time IMO.

Sully hurt a lot. I think he was on his way to becoming a beast.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

I think it's a good bet.

Sully hurt a lot. I think he was on his way to becoming a beast.

Sully was treated for 2 herniated lumbar discs.  Hopin his recovery is successful.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Celts will lose to the Knicks in the 1st round. But I don't think the Knicks can sweep the Celts.

Fierce,

I don't really care at this point. The Knicks have the advantage and should be heavily favored.  But of course we could win or get swept. Let's see what happens.  The guard play has finally done them in.  If we had Rondo there is no doubt in my mind we would be the favorite.

All those who think Bradley and Lee offer a better backcourt than Rondo and anybody else are officially stupid.  We now know(and really always knew) Rondo is the match up problem that makes us competitive in the playoffs.  Bradley young and very talented but he hit the wall.   Rondo hopefully is healthy next year.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Fierce,

I don't really care at this point. The Knicks have the advantage and should be heavily favored.  But of course we could win or get swept. Let's see what happens.  The guard play has finally done them in.  If we had Rondo there is no doubt in my mind we would be the favorite.

All those who think Bradley and Lee offer a better backcourt than Rondo and anybody else are officially stupid.  We now know(and really always knew) Rondo is the match up problem that makes us competitive in the playoffs.  Bradley young and very talented but he hit the wall.   Rondo hopefully is healthy next year.

Agree.

Even those who kept bashing Rondo, when the Celts were on a winning streak, have gone silent.

The Celts will have to let go of Lee after the season. He's a good player and a good defender. Having Lee and Bradley is redundant.

nope, there are still some on here who will claim "The duo of Bradley and Lee are doing better than what the duo of Rondo and Bradley could, bc earlier this year we were losing and then Rondo got hurt and we had a win streak. Thats all the evidence you need right there."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

they will be done in the first round. I'd have preferred that they break up the team during the season, miss the playoffs and enter the lottery. This team isn't close to winning a championship. They haven't been able to do it for the past few years Pierce and Garnett are well beyond their prime. If they keep the team as is then next year they should slide into the 6-8th playoff slot only to get bounced again in round one. Danny knows that and will break it up after this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I agree with all of you.   I will be surprised if they win the 1st playoff series against the Knicks.  I hope that they at least are competitive against the Knicks and win two games.   If the Celtics advance to the 2nd round it will be even more difficult for them to win this series.   Considering how poorly they have been playing lately and their poor road record I don't see them winning many road games.   Not sure what changes Danny will make in the off season but the many injuries to this team certainly didn't help.  We still desperately need another big man.   

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Celts will lose to the Knicks in the 1st round. But I don't think the Knicks can sweep the Celts.

Fierce,

The Rondo thing was hilarious.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

First of all, I don't believe momentum has anything to do with going into the playoffs. Look at last year and look at the UCONN girls.

Secondly, funny how we give the Knicks magical powers all of a sudden. What happens when the jump shots stop falling and they have to play more offensive sets? Do the Knicks play defense? Sorry, just not seeing all the love for them at all. The Knicks and Carmello have done nothing but choke in the playoffs. Until that stops, I believe we have a better than average chance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

Yeah, it really doesn't matter if the Celts get swept or go out in 5 or 6.  Just looking forward to the off-season rebuiding and hoping Danny can pull a few rabbits.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think what's most important is that we just are not as good as the Knicks.  The Celtics just are not as good this season as we've been in previous seasons AND we lack that one person who raises his game in the playoffs like no other in the NBA, Rondo.

terrapin, the Knicks are much better this season.  I don't know who is giving them "magical powers" but you cannot minimize what they've done this season - the entire season.  In previous seasons, we still won the Atlantic Division even with our poor season finishes (seemingly no momentum going into the playoffs).  But this year is different in so many ways.

The Knicks do play defense and, I've said this before, they beat us up twice in a week by first getting points in the paint and second with the 3-pointer.  If they can display some consistency in both aspects, I just don't see the Celtics having the offensive firepower to stay with them.

They have TWO unguardable players and we have NONE!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

I think what's most important is that we just are not as good as the Knicks.  The Celtics just are not as good this season as we've been in previous seasons AND we lack that one person who raises his game in the playoffs like no other in the NBA, Rondo.

terrapin, the Knicks are much better this season.  I don't know who is giving them "magical powers" but you cannot minimize what they've done this season - the entire season.  In previous seasons, we still won the Atlantic Division even with our poor season finishes (seemingly no momentum going into the playoffs).  But this year is different in so many ways.

The Knicks do play defense and, I've said this before, they beat us up twice in a week by first getting points in the paint and second with the 3-pointer.  If they can display some consistency in both aspects, I just don't see the Celtics having the offensive firepower to stay with them.

Just asking, how are they much better? Because Carmelo has scored 40 a game? Do you think he will absolutely have to do that to beat the Celtics every night? Maybe if we have a healthy Rondo they aren't so good? That being said and I know we are playing without Rondo but Stoudemire hurt, Chandler hurt and you are going to depend on JR Smith for the playoffs? Not trying to be arguementative. Maybe they are better. But I just don't see the gloom and doom. Now if we lose two in NY, then I will worry.........Smile

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

terrapin, NY is much better because "they get it".  They have bought in to the idea that you have to play team ball and you have to play defense.  Their defense is better than ours - points against average.  Offensively, we're not on their level.  They have veteran leadership and guys who know their roles and excel in those roles.  And Carmelo can score whenever he wants.

But the main reason they are much better is because they've proven it all season - not in just this 14 game winning streak that was snapped last night.  A buzzer-beater by Melo and that streak is 15 games.  It would be foolish for anyone to think this is last season's or the season before last's New York Knicks.  They are not!

They have depth at each position with interchangeable players.  They can go with Tyson, Amare (if he's back) and Melo with Felton and Smith and that's a formidable lineup.  It's formidable because they've committed to defense and that is what's made them a much better team.  They have veteran contributors like Martin, Kidd and Thomas and a defender in Shumpert who gives PP fits.

This Knicks team is a real contender.  The ONLY thing the Celtics have going for them is their previous playoffs trips in which they came into the playoffs playing horribly only to put it together and advance.  Realistically, I just don't see that.  PP, KG and Bass are the only ones from last season's playoff team (AB got hurt and was done).

Aside from all that, it's the playoffs and NO CELTICS players gives us what Rondo gives us in the playoffs.  No player or combination of players can provide that in the playoffs.

Also, you're not being argumentative and you make good points.  Just good debate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to terrrapin's comment:

In response to Petey62's comment:

Just asking, how are they much better? Because Carmelo has scored 40 a game? Do you think he will absolutely have to do that to beat the Celtics every night? Maybe if we have a healthy Rondo they aren't so good? That being said and I know we are playing without Rondo but Stoudemire hurt, Chandler hurt and you are going to depend on JR Smith for the playoffs? Not trying to be arguementative. Maybe they are better. But I just don't see the gloom and doom. Now if we lose two in NY, then I will worry.........Smile

The Celtics have been horrible on the road this year so this has to change in the playoffs for them to have any chance against NY or another team they may play in the 2nd round.  I will remain optimistic but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose two games in NY which wouldn't be a good start for the Celtics. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I don't think the Celtics will win a first round matchup with New York.  I'm simply being realistic.  However, it would not surprise me if the Celtics were to win its first round series.

The Celtics, more so than any other team in the NBA, have what Erik Spoelstra calls that "championship mentality".   Since a huge part of winning is mental, that will never erode and will always be there in any series.  With that, the Celtics always have a shot - see Miami series last year.

It's just hard to negate the loss of Rondo.  Forget the regular season, his absence in the playoffs is my biggest concern.  I just don't see us advancing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Have to agree with Dumfuno.  Celtics lose to the Knicks 4-2, (possibly 4-1)

Need to blow this team up for Rebuilding in order to be competitive next year - I don't believe that significant help comes from our draft position and I believe that EVERYBODY is tradeable.  The following is what I would like to see:

KG traded or retires.  (a competent warrior, but he is becoming a tired old anchor and need CAP)

Bass traded. (despite recent improvement, he is a bench player for a competitve team)

Pierce to the bench as 6th man.

Acquisition of a quality rebounding big man (pathetic 29th in the league)

Fix need for consistent backcourt scoring (pathetic 26 in the league).   Either get a consistent SG scorer (its not Bradley, Lee, Terry, ) and/or a new scoring PG threat.

Trade Rondo (required for a big man deal) 

The only players I would prefer to keep (but would trade if benefited the team): to get, in order of priority, Center, SG, PF and PG

Bradley (for D and versitility); Sully (RB/potential), Green (improvement expected), Pierce (for leadership and bench scoring)  

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I have been steadfast and consistent, ever since Rondo joined the Celtics, in my criticism of his indiviidual contribution and team play regardless of win/loss streaks.

Let me summarize again:

He is not an outside threat, therefore teams collapse, clog the middle and double team competent shooters especially when we MUST score or the clock is running out.

His foul shooting is abismal. A liability late in games.

His defense has deteriorated to the point where he is a liability, allowing his man to waltz down the lane at will, putting our big men in foul trouble position or a switch giving up a gimme 

He makes too many poor decisions, from fighting to turnovers, for a PG who can't score from the outside.

He does not facilitate good offensive team movement.

Not to mention is poor leadership and dour and petulent personality

WE NEED TO TRADE RONDO AS PART OF A QUALITY BIG MAN ACQUISITION.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

thanks for walking us through your rondo stance yet again, eldunker. but since laker losses are more important to you than celtic wins, why not treat us to your thoughts on how the lakers may worsen themselves, short of acquiring rondo.