One More Trade Scenario

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

One More Trade Scenario

I don't usually get into this much but have a little down time this morning.  Here is a trade that I would do.  I am sure there are people that don't like it and thats fine. Anyway, here goes.

To Orlando-  Jason Terry - Fab Melo

To Boston- JJ Redick

Reasons for Orlando:  They are getting the "project" that a lot of us think has potential in Fab Melo.  They are basically getting Terry for a little of 2 years, not a huge deal.  Terry would also be decent trade material for Orlando because the league knows JT can hit big shots,  has done this his entire career.  Of course he couldn't be traded this year unless it was a 3 team deal, but a contender would certainly welcome Terry in the future. IMO  So they really aren't taking a ton of salary on.

Reasons for Boston:  We don't disrupt our defense first philosophy of Lee and Bradley at the guards, which to me are huge assets to us.  Redick is the knock down shooter from 3 pt land that we need.  We aren't giving up any bigs other than a player which frankly doesn't look like much at this point. Could come back and haunt us but we are talking probably at least 3 years from now.  Thats a long time to wait on someone to produce. 

So we basically get back a knock down shooter,  don't give up but a older player that isn't as good as what we would be getting.  I would also want to get Redick signed up for 2-3 more years.  If we needed to sweeten the deal a little I would even throw in a second round pick to make it happen. We get a lot of open looks at the 3pt line.  JJ would probably even shoot better with us.  (it does work on the trade machine)

I don't see much of a downside to this.  The question if would DA and Orlando be on board with this?

Alright- start tearing it down or agreeing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: One More Trade Scenario

I agree with picking up JJ, but do not agree with giving up on Melo! 

If DA really wants JJ, he can sign him this summer (at no cost other than salary). Of course he will have to clear cap space to make that happen! 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

A better deal would be a 1st round pick instead of Fab Melo. The Celts 1st round picks #15 right now.

Terry goes to a 3rd team, a contender, and the Magic get Boston's 1st round pick.

It depends on what you think Melo is worth though.  If we hadn't picked him he more than likely would have been a second rounder.  Like I said we are probably 3 years from Melo being a contributer on the NBA level.  I would rather throw him in there instead of a  pick.  I would have also rather had Perry Jones than Melo. Jones is a lot closer to NBA ready than Melo.  He would also be a good backup to PP to go along with the more versatile Green.  

If you can tell me a few players that are productive that has taken 3-4 years and then turned out to be more than a small role player I might change my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

It seems like a lot of Celtic fans are putting a lot of stock in 2-3 games Melo has played in the D league.  The only stat that sticks out for me is the shot blocking he has on 90% players that will never be in the NBA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I'd really like to keep Terry if possible and get Redick. Having both on the court really opens the court for PP, Green and KG to do work. Trading Terry and landing Redick puts us back in the same position we're in now. Both would excel if we could have them on the court together...sort of like that Curry/Ellis backcourt the Warriors had.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Another example:

Yao did not participate in the Rockets' pre-season training camp, instead playing for China in the 2002 FIBA World Championships.[24]Before the season, several commentators, including Bill Simmons and Dick Vitale, predicted that Yao would fail in the NBA,[25][26] andCharles Barkley said he would "kiss [Kenny Smith's] ass" if Yao scored more than 19 points in one of his rookie-season games.[27] Yao played his first NBA game against the Indiana Pacers, scoring no points and grabbing two rebounds,[28][29] and scored his first NBA basket against the Denver Nuggets.[30] In his first seven games, he averaged only 14 minutes and 4 points, but on November 17, he scored 20 points on a perfect 9-of-9 from the field and 2-of-2 from the free-throw line against the Lakers.[31] Barkley made good on his bet by kissing the buttock of a donkey purchased by Smith for the occasion (Smith's "ass").[27]

It takes some players a while to adjust to the NBA game! Give Melo some time!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

A better deal would be a 1st round pick instead of Fab Melo. The Celts 1st round picks #15 right now.

Terry goes to a 3rd team, a contender, and the Magic get Boston's 1st round pick.

It depends on what you think Melo is worth though.  If we hadn't picked him he more than likely would have been a second rounder.  Like I said we are probably 3 years from Melo being a contributer on the NBA level.  I would rather throw him in there instead of a  pick.  I would have also rather had Perry Jones than Melo. Jones is a lot closer to NBA ready than Melo.  He would also be a good backup to PP to go along with the more versatile Green.  

If you can tell me a few players that are productive that has taken 3-4 years and then turned out to be more than a small role player I might change my opinion.

Gortat is one example of a player who took 3-4 years to become a starter.

Perk was a #27 selection that ended up the starting Center of the 2008 champion Celtics.

While Perry Jones III is a better player than Fab Melo, he's not going to be a Center in the NBA.

Fab Melo can be the next Mutombo or Roy Hibbert.

Nope Perry Jones isn't going to be a center.  Never said he would.  Gave my thoughts on why I would have taken him.  If Perkins if the best he can be in 2-3 more years,  i don't think he is worth the wait..

Gortat was averaging about 5-4 rebounds a game in year 2 and 3 of his NBA career in only about 13 minutes a game. Projected out thats probably about 15 rebounds per 48 min.  I doubt we see Melo put up that kind of rebounding production.  Maybe he can be a Deke or Hibbert,  but like I said I think we talking years down the road.  A lot can happen in years.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

I'd really like to keep Terry if possible and get Redick. Having both on the court really opens the court for PP, Green and KG to do work. Trading Terry and landing Redick puts us back in the same position we're in now. Both would excel if we could have them on the court together...sort of like that Curry/Ellis backcourt the Warriors had.

U would rather lose the extreme defense than just trade pieces for a younger better 3 pt shooter?  As Fierce said,  Redick is a pure shooter.  Someone we could hang on to for 2-3 more years.  I am happy with our guards now.  Barbosa gives us relentless speed. Lee and AB give 2 of the best defensive guards in the game.  Redick gives us a better scorer and 3pt shooter.

Not to mention Terry is not very good on defense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

It depends what ORL wants to do.  Salary dump?  Picks?  Vet player?  If it's #3, then I say Terry straight up for Redick.  I'm not ready to add Melo to a deal unless we get back a big in return.  But again, looks like the C's are going to DUMP salary, not add it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

It depends what ORL wants to do.  Salary dump?  Picks?  Vet player?  If it's #3, then I say Terry straight up for Redick.  I'm not ready to add Melo to a deal unless we get back a big in return.  But again, looks like the C's are going to DUMP salary, not add it.

what makes you think we are going to dump salary?  The Magic aren't going to trade JT for JJ. Thats why we add Melo.  Again we are waiting years on a maybe player.  Lots of changes of direction can happen in 2-3 years. Personally I only think you look 2-3 years in advance with players like Westbrook and Durant.  Guys u know will still be stars.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I don't usually get into this much but have a little down time this morning.  Here is a trade that I would do.  I am sure there are people that don't like it and thats fine. Anyway, here goes.

To Boston- JJ Redick

Reasons for Orlando:  They are getting the "project" that a lot of us think has potential in Fab Melo.  They are basically getting Terry for a little of 2 years, not a huge deal.  Terry would also be decent trade material for Orlando because the league knows JT can hit big shots,  has done this his entire career.  Of course he couldn't be traded this year unless it was a 3 team deal, but a contender would certainly welcome Terry in the future. IMO  So they really aren't taking a ton of salary on.

Reasons for Boston:  We don't disrupt our defense first philosophy of Lee and Bradley at the guards, which to me are huge assets to us.  Redick is the knock down shooter from 3 pt land that we need.  We aren't giving up any bigs other than a player which frankly doesn't look like much at this point. Could come back and haunt us but we are talking probably at least 3 years from now.  Thats a long time to wait on someone to produce. 

So we basically get back a knock down shooter,  don't give up but a older player that isn't as good as what we would be getting.  I would also want to get Redick signed up for 2-3 more years.  If we needed to sweeten the deal a little I would even throw in a second round pick to make it happen. We get a lot of open looks at the 3pt line.  JJ would probably even shoot better with us.  (it does work on the trade machine)

I don't see much of a downside to this.  The question if would DA and Orlando be on board with this?

I think you are giving Orlando way to much. Along with that Orlando has a couple of promising big men.  Melo to me looks impossible to project as a productive NBA center at this time. Doesn't mean he can't be. 

I don't see this trade making that much difference for the Celtics. We need a big man.  Redick is never going to be a star and the rebounding woes are not going to help anyone get good looks from the three point line.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

To Boston- JJ Redick

I think you are giving Orlando way to much. Along with that Orlando has a couple of promising big men.  Melo to me looks impossible to project as a productive NBA center at this time. Doesn't mean he can't be. 

I don't see this trade making that much difference for the Celtics. We need a big man.  Redick is never going to be a star and the rebounding woes are not going to help anyone get good looks from the three point line.  

I don't think we are giving the "way to much".  U say that Melo looks impossible to being a productive center.  How could that be too much if U say Melo looks that bad?  Reddick is younger and we are last in 3 pt shooting which he would help for years to come.

You opinion is fine as is everyones else.  

I will try to just read these posts from here on.  I think I have given good enough reasons.  Others have given theirs which may very well be right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

To Boston- JJ Redick

I don't think we are giving the "way to much".  U say that Melo looks impossible to being a productive center.  How could that be too much if U say Melo looks that bad?  Reddick is younger and we are last in 3 pt shooting which he would help for years to come.

I will try to just read these posts from here on.  I think I have given good enough reasons.  Others have given theirs which may very well be right.

My point is that Melo looks impossible to project as a talent in the NBA.  I leave it to the experts to hold on to him or trade him.  Orlando seems to have a good big man at this time.  Redick for me is a good player but we need a big man. Melo packaged in a trade for an already productive big man sounds like the trade we have to make.  My opinion is as dumb as everyone else's.  So Redick if  he comes here will find me excited and happy to be wrong.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

It's really rolling the dice because if Melo develops, we are going to regret the trade. I want my cake and eat it too getting Reddick and a Big Man but of the two, I believe a BIG MAN is a bigger need. Gasol is out now with Howard hurt and I don't know if LA would have ever traded him to us. What would it take to get Cousins ??? Bass, and either Lee or Green and even Melo as we are getting a big man as opposed to  just the shooter Reddick.

How about Gortat ? Bass and either Lee or Green...Dunno ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

To Boston- JJ Redick

My point is that Melo looks impossible to project as a talent in the NBA.  I leave it to the experts to hold on to him or trade him.  Orlando seems to have a good big man at this time.  Redick for me is a good player but we need a big man. Melo packaged in a trade for an already productive big man sounds like the trade we have to make.  My opinion is as dumb as everyone else's.  So Redick if  he comes here will find me excited and happy to be wrong.  

i am all in for a big man.  point me the right direction.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

why not just sign Redick after the season? its not like he is gunna be someone to put us over the top this year, so i dont like giving ppl up for him if we dont have to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

why not just sign Redick after the season? its not like he is gunna be someone to put us over the top this year, so i dont like giving ppl up for him if we dont have to.

Excellent point.  We have to sign him after the season anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

To Boston- JJ Redick

i am all in for a big man.  point me the right direction.

I wish I could help other than supplying a chorus we need big man.  Gortat is the one I think that can help us the most and stretch out KG's time here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Because we already have Rondo, Bradley, Lee, Terry, and even Barbosa. Not sure about AB's contract but all the others are here other than Barbosa and he is a cheap good player. By trading Terry we are getting younger, a better shooter, and getting rid of Terry in the process. Terry obviously did not work well with Rondo but I think Redick would be a lot better.  All people have done is grip about JT all year and now everyone wants to keep him?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Agreed.  Acquire JJ as a FA.  Hopefully Orlando doesn't trade him to another team beforehand.

The only two players I would trade at this point are Terry and Pierce (not counting Collins, Wilcox or Bass for which we would get detritus in return) .  Two over-the-hill players that have value ONLY this year to trade in our rebuilding effort, to a contender.  

Even with our little winning streak and improved overall team play without Rondo, we are going nowhere this year, with or without a trade.  Giving Lee and Bradley time to jell in the backcourt, maybe play Melo a bit more [ BTW - Ainge says that Melo will be NBA ready late next season - so I keep him ].   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Agreed.  Acquire JJ as a FA.  Hopefully Orlando doesn't trade him to another team beforehand.

The only two players I would trade at this point are Terry and Pierce (not counting Collins, Wilcox or Bass for which we would get detritus in return) .  Two over-the-hill players that have value ONLY this year to trade in our rebuilding effort, to a contender.  

Even with our little winning streak and improved overall team play without Rondo, we are going nowhere this year, with or without a trade.  Giving Lee and Bradley time to jell in the backcourt, maybe play Melo a bit more [ BTW - Ainge says that Melo will be NBA ready late next season - so I keep him ].   

Then you will never get Gortat. Melo will not be as good as Gortat for at least two years at best and KG will survive to play another year with Gortat around.  Melo has a fifty per cent chance of being a bust.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Because we already have Rondo, Bradley, Lee, Terry, and even Barbosa. Not sure about AB's contract but all the others are here other than Barbosa and he is a cheap good player. By trading Terry we are getting younger, a better shooter, and getting rid of Terry in the process. Terry obviously did not work well with Rondo but I think Redick would be a lot better.  All people have done is grip about JT all year and now everyone wants to keep him?

What would you do if the Magic wanted Bradley instead of Terry?  I kind of like a Lee, Redick backcourt!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I like Lee period, and I think that's probably who other GMs will ask for when the Celtics shop him (Lee), Jet and Bass. Lee right now is the best guard on the team (with Rondo out) and is still improving as he fits in to the Celtics systems. Bradley and Lee are a great twosome so I'm fine with the guards we have. The trade I want to see is for Big Al and if the Cs can get him for Green and say Bass or Terry; I think that makes them contenders this year and certainly next year and beyond.

Sections
Shortcuts