Opinions on Rondo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Opinions on Rondo

I found these comments to be interesting.

I'd have him in my team in a flash if he was available.

"To me, the kid has every base covered in terms of responsibilities for a point guard," Cousy said. "He does all of those. He rebounds. He gets the steals. He's the real deal."

"Rajon Rondo is the best all around point guard in the NBA. Deron Williams is the best point guard, but Rondo is the best all around."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Opinions on Rondo

In Response to Opinions on Rondo:
    I found these comments to be interesting. I'd have him in my team in a flash if he was available. "To me, the kid has every base covered in terms of responsibilities for a point guard," Cousy said. "He does all of those. He rebounds. He gets the steals. He's the real deal." "Rajon Rondo is the best all around point guard in the NBA. Deron Williams is the best point guard, but Rondo is the best all around."  
    Posted by RUWorthy

WOW!!!

Just what we need.... another Rondo thread.

Now we have three (3) going concurrently.

Four anyone?

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

I live in NY where Walt Frazier does the Knick games.  Clyde stated it very simply:  if Rondo had a mid range jumper and could hit FT's he'd be the best PG in the league. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I'm with you, Pud.  Maybe we should try enjoying this team and watching Rondo play rather than all the threads about trading him!!!

Go Celtics.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

i'm with pudsmom.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Opinions on Rondo:
    I'm with you, Pud.  Maybe we should try enjoying this team and watching Rondo play rather than all the threads about trading him!!! Go Celtics.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

I didn't necessarily mean it that way. One continuing Rondo thread would be plenty.

Three, four, five.... threads needlessly  divides the conversation and keeps things out of focus and confused. Succeeding thread starter apparently feel a need to make a very important point.... so out of necessity, he/she starts another thread instead of contributing to the  existing thread.

Silly!

BTW, I heard Frazier make the comment about Rondo's game. No question about it. Couldn't agree more with Walt. Common sense.

And if Rondo never develops the mid-range and FT  skills, then how/where does he rank?

And when he loses that step, then what does he fall back on? That's a long, long fall it seems to me.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Rondo is an all-star player now.  If he had a jumper and could hit FT's he'd be all-NBA.

If Rondo never becomes a decent shooter, he'll still have a terrific career.  Jason Kidd has never been a reliable shooter--though he did become a good FT'er--and he's had an outstanding career.

Rondo's game, partcicuarly his uncanny nose for the ball remind me of Kidd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

3 minutes left on the clock in a game 7 with scores ties. Who do I want as my PG on the floor? Not Rondo!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Hyper-critical

Any normal fans would be pleased as punch top have the Celtics line-up

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Four anyone? Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

i say start one about his favorite foods!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

acie, PUH-lease

Youre the agitator that kept beating the dead horse long after every reasonable criticism had been addressed and thoroughly exhausted.  Go root for another team you loser.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Rondo is an all-star player now.  .......Jason Kidd has never been a reliable shooter--though he did become a good FT'er--and he's had an outstanding career. Rondo's game, partcicuarly his uncanny nose for the ball remind me of Kidd.
    Posted by paulliu

1) rondo is an all star player now......... ok, but he still disappears when we needhim most

2) kidd came into the league a sub par shooter and after 3 years never went below 70% free throws again.  now he is a threat from 3.  high 30%'s if not 40% for years now.  his career average for FT's is well into the 70%'s.  nobody plays hack a kidd, and kidd doesn't shy away from handling the ball in key situations. 

so the rondo vs. kidd comparison isn't really apples to apples.

i have spent a lot of time trying to find a good comparison to rondo.  but there is none.  tony parker came into the league a rotten shooter and popovich made him become COMPETENT starting in year 2.  note i say COMPETENT, not all world, just good enough- and parker has never looked back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

is there an ignore function?

is there a way i can set my session to ignore acie?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

I said Rondo reminds me of Kidd. I didn't say he was Kidd.

Yes, I see Rondo's shortcomings.  But I still love to watch him play.  The only PG I would swap him for is Deron Williams.  But this is of course in the realm of fantasy basketball.

Back in the real world, we have Rondo.  And that's pretty good.

You have to be a really terrific player to get 24 assists and not play all that well. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I said Rondo reminds me of Kidd. I didn't say he was Kidd. Yes, I see Rondo's shortcomings.  But I still love to watch him play.  The only PG I would swap him for is Deron Williams.  But this is of course in the realm of fantasy basketball. Back in the real world, we have Rondo.  And that's pretty good. You have to be a really terrific player to get 24 assists and not play all that well. 
    Posted by paulliu

Rondo created the Knick monster by dismissing their PG and playing very, very poorly in the first half... and then he had to slay the terrifying Knick monster with a heroic 10/24/10 game playing 45 minutes... because the Knicks were still in it with time running out.

Some might call the game a lot of very wasted effort caused by Rondo's arrogance and  cockiness!

Me???? I call it sheer hotdoggin genius!

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

He must of done it on purpose just to pile up huge numbers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldtimerceltfan. Show oldtimerceltfan's posts

Why did the C's lose leads in 4 qtr last yr, and sometimes the game? Remember what Phil said to his team in the huddle last yr. 'this team is known to lose leads in 4 qtr'. WHY? My guess is that rondo disappears in 4qtr, fear of going to the FT line. Why should this year be any difference when he has the same faults.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Oldtimefan, 

just maybe those leads we lost had a lot to do with the age, health, and lack of focus of the entire team.  In fact, I'd say the lack of rebounding hurt a LOT more in those "comback" games than anything Rondo was doing.  So, when they got healthy and focused in the entire playoffs, seems they did ok, huh?   Lost one critical game 7 in LA by a few points to keep from winning the entire championship.   Seems to me that this is a better indicator than the games lost during the season......

Now, like just about EVERYBODY on this string, I'm not saying Rondo doesn't have faults (lack of a consistent jump shot and poor free throws + sometimes too risky defense by reaching).   But, we need a PG that gets the ball to the stars and not one who wants to always score.   Rondo has his faults and he's not the best in the league, but stop blaming him for all the Celtic woes and start recognizing that our "woes" took us further than EVERY OTHER TEAM other than one in the league!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Why did the C's lose leads in 4 qtr last yr, and sometimes the game? Remember what Phil said to his team in the huddle last yr. 'this team is known to lose leads in 4 qtr'. WHY? My guess is that rondo disappears in 4qtr, fear of going to the FT line. Why should this year be any difference when he has the same faults.
    Posted by oldtimerceltfan

The disappearing act actually starts at about midway thru the 3rd quarter when the game slows down into a half court chess match. At that point, Rondo goes to sleep, saddling the Big Three with cheating doubleteaming defenses.

Now DWest could change everything, keeping the pedal to the metal and the defense honest... while our All Star PG sits down and (likely) seethes.

Rondo's team is transformed at crunch time into Delonte's team. Delonte is a decent PG in his previous stay with the C's. Surround him with future HOFers and he should be very, very effective running this team... making Rondo a moot point.

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Rondo is a good player. HOWEVER, he has short comings and I'm yet to see any evidence he has fixed those. Williams, CP3, are two PG's I'd swap in a hearbeat for. As already mentioned, how many 4th quarter leads have the celtics lost and been beaten. Could it be that Rondo goes missing in those games?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Yes, the C's lost a lot of games in the 4th quarter last year and Rondo was their PG.

But Rondo was also their PG the year before and the one before that and they did not lose many games in the 4th quarter.

As with most accomplishments and failures, it's a team thing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Delonte will replace Rondo in crunch time.

Sections
Shortcuts