Orlando Summer League Starts Today!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Orlando Summer League Starts Today!

At 11:00 AM this morning the Cs will play their first summer league game in Orlando. I can not wait to get a look at Olynyk, Iverson, Melo, and Pressey!

Hopes and expectations:

1. Olynyk shows he can score inside / outside in the pro-game (a few 3s would be nice)! 

2. Melo shows improvement on both ends of the floor 

3. Iverson shows his nasty streak and establishes himself as a presence on the defensive end 

4. Pressey shows he can run a team and defend! 

Go Celtics!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Re: Orlando Summer League Starts Today!

thanks for the reminder.

I wanna see N. Smith and the Mitchell(?) kid play, to see if they have enough to be on the traning camp roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

thanks for the reminder.

I wanna see N. Smith and the Mitchell(?) kid play, to see if they have enough to be on the traning camp roster.

Mitchell definitely does.

I am so glad we get to watch it live on NBA TV.

I just wish they would move the camera up a little from last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I think Pressey is going to be a pleasant surprise! I thought for sure this kid would have been drafted! He may be a bit undersized, but his talent is HUGE! 

Go Celtics! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

I think Pressey is going to be a pleasant surprise! I thought for sure this kid would have been drafted! He may be a bit undersized, but his talent is HUGE! 

Go Celtics! 

I hope so. We need a backup point guard badly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

From NBA.com:

HANG TIME, Texas — You’ve got rookies often trying to wildly impress, second-year players who have a better understanding of what is expected and a few veterans who are hoping to get another taste of the big time.

The Southwest Airlines Orlando Pro Summer League tips off Sunday with some familiar names from the 2013 Draft and plenty of other hopefuls trying to crack an NBA roster.

Nine first-round picks — led by No. 2 Victor Oladipo, No. 8 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and No. 9 Trey Burke – will take part in the six days of competition that will take place on the Magic’s practice court at Orlando’s Amway Center. The games are not open to the public and will only be attended by media and league personnel. All games will be shown on NBA TV.

A new format will be added this summer with two extra teams and one extra day added to the schedule. Under the new format, each team will play five games over the six-day event, concluding with a championship day. Standings will be based on a seven-point system for each game — three points for a win and one point for winning each quarter.

Here’s a quick look at roster highlights of the 10 teams that will participate:

Boston Celtics — It’s a whole new ballgame for the Celtics’ rebuilding program and there would seem to be plenty of room for new faces to earn a ticket to Boston now that Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Doc Riversare all gone. New coach Brad Stevens will be on hand to observe, but leading the team will be assistant coach Jay Larranaga. First-round pick Kelly Olynyk, obtained by trade from Dallas, will be the biggest name on the roster, though last year’s draftee Fab Melo is physically bigger. Avery Bradley is being given a rest from duty and Jared Sullinger is still recovering from back surgery.

Brooklyn Nets – The remade and reloaded Nets will have first round pick Mason Plumlee suiting up for the first time along with a pair of last season’s veterans Tornike Shengelia and Tyshawn Taylor. But all eyes during the week will surely on the rookie on the sidelines. After a 19-year playing career that will surely send him to the Hall of Fame, Jason Kidd is taking no time off and going right to the bench. It will be most interesting to see if Kidd is as good in this transition as he was on the court.

Detroit Pistons — Andre Drummond arrived in Orlando a year ago with something to prove to the doubters and then went back to Detroit and showed that he was not merely a summer fling. Drummond will return, but is not expected to play the full slate of five games. The Pistons will have their entire rookie class of 2013 —Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Tony Mitchell and Peyton Siva. New coach Maurice Cheeks may have his work cut out resurrecting the Pistons at the NBA level, but the summer roster is quite capable.

Houston Rockets — After all their maneuvering and salary cap gymnastics to try to land free agent Dwight Howard, the Rockets did not have a first-round pick this year, but may have gotten first-round quality in point guard Isaiah Canaan. Terrence Jones, a No. 1 from a year ago, will be on the team and continuing to show that he’s a keeper and this Houston bunch is also loaded with Patrick Beverley and Greg Smith.

Indiana Pacers – It seems like much longer than just four years ago that Jonny Flynn was the No. 6 pick in the 2009 draft and maybe that’s because he’s mostly been on the outside everywhere he’s gone, trying to justify that selection and prove that he belongs. Now he’s back from playing in Australia and trying to get that third guard spot with the Pacers, who are also bringing in Donald Sloane. This year’s first round pickSolomon Hill will join holdovers Miles Plumlee, Orlando Johnson and Ben Hansbrough from last season’s roster.

Miami Heat — After winning back-to-back NBA titles, the Heat aren’t taking the summer off. In fact, they’re working overtime, the only franchise to be fielding teams at both Orlando and Las Vegas. Miami didn’t have a first-round pick — remember, it was traded for that LeBron fellow. The rosters will be led by last season holdover center Jarvis Varnado and second-round pick James Ennis, a swingman out of Long Beach State. A couple of high profile college guards, Larry Drew II of UCLA and Myck Kabongo of Texas will play for the Heat. Joining the team in Orlando only are Cedric Jackson, Ian Clark, Dewayne Dedmon and D.J. Stephens.

Oklahoma City Thunder — While three rookies Steven Adams, Andre Roberson and Grant Jerrett will be on hand for their Thunder debuts, most eyes of the coaching staff and back in OKC will be on holdovers from the main roster Reggie Jackson, Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones. Jackson dazzled with his play in Orlando last summer, giving the first hint that he’d be ready to step into the point guard job when Russell Westbrookwent down.

Orlando Magic — When it looked like everybody was losing their minds at the top of the draft a week ago, Magic GM Rob Hennigan kept his eye on the prize and simply chose his man Victor Oladipo. Is he a point guard or a shooting guard? Or is he just ready to do anything the Magic ask in the backcourt? ForwardRomero Osby, a second round pick, has a lot of folks saying he’s a sleeper. Second-year men Maurice Harkless and Andrew Nicholson are also on the roster.

Philadelphia 76ers — While many Sixers fans are still reeling from the draft night trade that shipped out the young All-Star and favorite Jrue Holiday, this will be everyone’s first chance to see how his successor measures up.  Michael Carter-Williams will be given the keys to the offense in Philly when the season starts in October, so consider this his going out to take the test for his driver’s license. Nerlens Noel, the prize that came in the trade for Holiday, will not play as he’s still rehabbing his knee injury.  But Justin Holiday, Jrue’s brother, will be back to see if he can stick with the Sixers again.

Utah Jazz – Top draft pick Trey Burke said on draft night that he hopes to be the Jazz’ starting point guard on opening night next season. So he’ll start to press his case by running the summer show. Rookie centerRudy Gobert hopes to get in a few runs maybe by the end of the show in Orlando. He’s currently trying to work out a buyout of his contract with his French team and will need FIBA clearance. Center Enes Kanter is still recovering from shoulder surgery and neither Gordon Hayward or Derrick Favors will play, because they’re both part of the Team USA camp in August. Jazz fans will get to see a Stockton back in uniform. Hall of Famer John Stockton’s son Michael is a free agent signee.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

NUMPLAYERPOSHTWTFROM

58 Tim Abromaitis F 6-8 236 Notre Dame/ASVEL (France)

52 Courtney Fells F 6-6 200 NC State/Hapoel Jerusalem (Israel)

40 Jayson Granger G 6-2 192 Asefa Estudiantes (Spain)

63 Lawrence Hill F 6-8 235 Stanford/Hapoel Holon (Israel)

60 Eli Holman F/C 6-10 260 Detroit/Hapoel Eilat (Israel)

37 Colton Iverson F/C 7-0 255 Colorado State

38 Darius Johnson-Odom G 6-2 215 Marquette/Spartak St. Petersburg (Russia)

13 Fab Melo C 7-0 255 Syracuse/Boston Celtics (NBA)

57 Tony Mitchell F 6-6 216 Alabama/Ft. Wayne Mad Ants (D-League)

41 Kelly Olynyk F 7-0 238 Gonzaga

26 Phil Pressey G 5-11 175 Missouri

55 Omar Reed G/F 6-6 210 Bluefield/Maine Red Claws (D-League)

12 Nolan Smith G 6-2 185 Duke/Portland Trail Blazers (NBA)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

T. Jones is looking good! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Phil Pressey ranked 52 out of 100 b-ball players eligible for this years draft, by Draft Express! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Notebook: Fab Melo excited for new shot Eager to work with Stevens

Sunday, July 7, 2013

PrintEmail Comments (2) By: Steve BulpettCeltics Notebook  

WINTER PARK, Fla. — Of the Celtics holdovers from last season, perhaps none may be more directly affected by the coaching change than Fab Melo.

The second-year center is still very young in his basketball development, having taken up the game late in Brazil and growing into his 7-foot frame. But even though Melo was far from being able to contribute last year, Doc Rivers, who had more pressing concerns trying to keep a banged-up team together, wasn’t big on his potential either in public or private.

“I was a rookie. He didn’t usually give opportunities to rookies,” said Melo as he prepared for today’s summer league opener. “That’s all I think it was. It was hard. We didn’t have a lot of practices, so it was hard to show him anything. That was a problem.

“I definitely look at this as a fresh start. I’m ready for it. I feel a lot different. Last year I didn’t know what to expect; this year I know what’s going on. It’s different. I’m way more comfortable now.”

As for the coming season under new coach Brad Stevens, Melo said, “I think I’m very close. I’m working hard. I work on my game every day. I think now I’m going to be playing. That’s the thing that’s going to make me better, just playing basketball. That’s what I need. I just want to play and feel comfortable playing. I didn’t feel comfortable in the games I played in last year. Now I want to feel comfortable and show what I’m able to do.”

Assistant coach Jay Larranaga is running the Celtics entry in the Orlando summer league, and has worked with Melo a lot on the side the last several months.

“I think Fab has done great from the moment I started with the team,” Larranaga said. “He’s not a finished product, but he’s constantly working to improve and he is improving. We’re very hopeful that this summer league will be a big part of that improvement.

“We’ve talked about it, and he knows it’s a big week for him. He’s really been preparing the last month in Boston and working hard, so I expect him to have a great summer league.

“He’s got a ton of potential,” Larranaga added. “He had some great games this season in the D-League. He did some things that no player has ever done before, with his triple-doubles. He made a great impact defensively, so we just really have to get him to translate that to the NBA and on a consistent basis.”

Staying put

Jamie Young passed up an opportunity to join Rivers’ Clippers staff to remain with the Celts and fellow Indiana native Stevens.

“I talked to (president of basketball operations) Danny (Ainge) on the phone, and I talked to Brad. They both wanted me to stay,” Young said. “I respect Brad, followed his career path. I know his body of work and admire the way he approaches the game.”

There were other reasons to stay put — his wife, Jaynene, and 4-year-old son, Jamieson.

“My wife has a good job in Belmont in the school district there, so it’s good for her to be able to stay in that job,” he said. “I had two great options, and at the end of the day it really just came down to family and what was best for my family.”

Young also hopes to be able to form a Colts fan support group with Stevens.

“It’ll be comforting,” he said with a smile.

Already impressing

Top draft pick Kelly Olynyk is looking very good, showing a nice outside stroke that should have him working well with an inside presence like Jared Sullinger. The two may have some defensive matchup issues, but the combination will help the Celtics move their side of the scoreboard.

“It’s been pretty good,” said Olynyk of his first few practices with the summer group. “Guys have come in and worked hard. It’s been a good couple of days so far.

“It’s different because of the 24-second shot clock and everybody’s quicker, faster, stronger. So the speed of the game is definitely a step up.” . . .

Sullinger, coming off back surgery, is still prohibited from engaging in contact, but he’s been working on his conditioning.

“I need to drop a couple of pounds, just get my body in shape and get my wind back,” he said.

He denied getting antsy, saying, “I’m taking my time. I know it’s going to be a long season, so I might as well not rush it.”

- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/07/notebook_fab_melo_excited_for_new_shot#sthash.qctVx0de.dpuf

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Melo needs to impress in a few games this week! Hopefully the chemistry is good between him, Olynyk and Iverson! 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Carter-Williams is looking good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

im excited to see pressy .. he could be something

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

Carter-Williams is looking good.

hes a huge pg at 6-6

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

I have fears for Olynyk in the real NBA...these games are no real litmus for someone who's suppossed to be a real NBA player...if he goes inside in these games and starts eating Wilsonburgers we is truly screwed!

It just means a better draft pick this year, so it's a win win.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

Iverson and sully will get some quality timein the second half of the season. Looking forward to this pairing in the paint.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Finally - it is - Game time!!! Go Celtics!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Olynyk!!!  Fab Melo looks like he packed on some weight....it better be muscle, so far he's invisible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Olynyk in the high post

Melo down low

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Melo played like 2 minutes and was yanked.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

Melo played like 2 minutes and was yanked.

Iverson was in then

Melo back now

I like the high post /low post set though

Sullinger/Humphries/Melo are low post players

bass/Olynyk are high post perhaps

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

I was wrong.

Olynyk looks really good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Olynyk appears to have a great feel for the game! 

Sections
Shortcuts