Orlando Summer League Starts Today!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Orlando Summer League Starts Today!

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Anyone notice Joey Crawford showing up to watch his favorite team ... The Heat .... Hmmm!

I don't think I've ever seen an NBA Ref show up at a Summer League game before ... WF????

He's there to collect his fix money.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I am guessing Pressey gets the start tomorrow. Except for some early TOs he looked decent in his first pro game. A good summer invite! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

I am guessing Pressey gets the start tomorrow. Except for some early TOs he looked decent in his first pro game. A good summer invite! 

He looked really good. We need a backup for Rondo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Larranage wants Kelly Olynyk to be more aggresive offensively! 40-pts tomorrow for KO?

"I think Kelly's very, very skilled," Larranaga said. "He can shoot. He can pass. He can dribble. He plays defensively. He talks. One of his biggest strengths is how well he talks the game and how he stays connected to his teammates. He's got to shoot when he's open. He had some shots that he turned down and he's such an unselfish player, we need to keep encouraging him to shoot when he's open."

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Olynyk   :     Thank goodness Doc Rivers is not here to put him in mothballs.     He does not need to score 40 , he needs to play team ball , keep the ball moving and take his best shots.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Can't wait to see how the Cs perform tommorrow! Start time 3:00 PM versus the Pistons squad! 

Will KO pick-up where he left off? Will Pressey continue to impress? Will Melo and Iverson have breakout games? 

Go Celtics!! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Can't wait to see how the Cs perform tommorrow! Start time 3:00 PM versus the Pistons squad! 

Will KO pick-up where he left off? Will Pressey continue to impress? Will Melo and Iverson have breakout games? 

Go Celtics!! 

Melo and Olynyk seemed to have some chemistry there briefly.

Melo had the highest plus and minus on the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Melo and Olynyk must be two of the slowest and lead footed big men on the planet.  At least Olynyk has some moves and a shot.   He'll be tortured on deense and he won't be of any help against a running athletic team, of course.  But, Melo was worse, imo.   He often couldn't catch and his moves are so slow.   He looks like he gained weight and got slower.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

reminder to anyone who didnt see this game earlier  (like me) its on nba channel again at 8 pm tonight.....replay....

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

In response to raider3524's comment:

Olynyk is fun to watch! Melo 9 pts. 8 rebs and 1 block (+6) - not his best outing to date, BUT, there appears to be noticeable improvement! 

he can't move his feet...he can't catch the ball...he got lucky alot...i'm talking about melo....

I didnt see the game but watched Melo enough last year to know that he is big , slow and not smart (basketball IQ wise).  When he played well for Syracuse it was defense and rebounding but all Syracuse played was zone so it require very limited movement and he barely roamed 5 ft from the basket... it a whole new ball game in the NBA and he has absolutely no laterly movement and will never be able to guard the pick and roll....Ainge took him thinking he be the stopper like he was at Syracuse but clearly he blew this one...

I just don't understand why Danny didn't draft and keep Lucas Nogueira from Brazil knowing that his one (Melo) project at center is already a waste.   There are not many centers with that kind of athletic ability to come along.  Olynyk has an ok offenseive game but he's a jouneyman backup and his ceiling is very limited.   Building for the future, we need a center.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Melo and Olynyk must be two of the slowest and lead footed big men on the planet.  At least Olynyk has some moves and a shot.   He'll be tortured on deense and he won't be of any help against a running athletic team, of course.  But, Melo was worse, imo.   He often couldn't catch and his moves are so slow.   He looks like he gained weight and got slower.

Olynyk can play.

Sure he needs to be better on defense, but he's someone who makes scoring look so easy. 

He reminds me of a young Dirk.

LOL!!   A young Dirk, huh?  That's a good one.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Kelly Olynyk shines in Celtics' NBA summer league debut

Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports 8:01 p.m. EDT July 7, 2013 7-7-kelly-olynyk-celtics-summer-league

(Photo: Fernando Medina, NBAE/Getty Images)

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Boston Celtics rookie Kelly Olynyk had 25 points on 9-for-12 shooting in summer league debut
    • Olynyk showed impressive shooting range despite not taking many three-pointers in college at Gonzaga
    • Orlando Magic guard Victor Oladipo also was impressive, while fellow rookie Trey Burkey struggled

ORLANDO — Kelly Olynyk revealed a glimpse of why the Boston Celtics made him an integral piece of their rebuilding process.

Sure, it was a summer league game, but the jump from college to NBA begins somewhere, and for Olynyk, it began Sunday in Boston's 95-88 loss to the Orlando Magic.

The result wasn't important, nor were Olynyk's statistics, which, by the way, were impressive (25 points on 9-for-12 shooting). The potential matters, and the 7-footer showed why the Celtics think so highly of him with a display of inside and outside moves, including a fine touch from the three-point range.

"It's our job as coaches to find the different situations that best take advantage of his matchup," Celtics summer league coach Jay Larranaga said. "If he's got a bigger guy, try and get him on the perimeter. If he's got a smaller guy, he can post up. He's a lot of fun to coach."

Though he had range at Gonzaga, Olynyk was not a prolific deep shooter and took 27 three-pointers last season. He made two of four on Sunday, showing unexpected range. He began working on his NBA three-point shot after his college season.

"It's been a real focus because it's such an asset to a team to have that big who can stretch the floor and it really opens up driving lanes for guards and makes it tough on defenses," Olynyk said, already understanding the modern pro game. "It's something I'm trying to focus on. By no means am I where I need to be. I still have to improve. I'm just going to keep working on that." 

He is a skilled big man capable of finding open shooters with his passing, and Larranaga complimented his court vision — a guard's mind in a big-man's body. "I still think it can get better. But that's one of the abilities I can bring to a team," Olynyk said.

Larranaga said the next step for summer league is to get Olynyk to shoot more.

"He had some shots that he turned down," he said of the No. 13 overall pick in June's draft. "He's such an unselfish player that we have to keep encouraging him to shoot when he's open.

"That's just Kelly's personality. He's a very unselfish person. ... He needs to know we have the utmost confidence in him whatever decision he makes.

Olynyk said he hasn't spent much time with new Celtics coach Brad Stevens, who is in Orlando watching, but Olynyk is familiar with Butler's style. He expects Stevens to bring a similar style to the Celtics.

"They are so disciplined. Execution is sound," Olynyk said of Butler, where Stevens coached. "They really execute. They really take game plans and put them into play and a lot of that has to do with him. … He's got a basketball mind that has really developed into great coaching."

Strong debut: Orlando Magic guard Victor Oladipo, the No. 2 pick in the draft, had 18 points on 5-for-13 shooting, seven assists, six rebounds and five steals. He also had five turnovers. Teammate Romero Osby, the 51st pick in the draft, also had 18 points.

Tough debut: Utah guard Trey Burke, who was taken No. 9, shot 1-for-12 and had eight points. He finished with seven rebounds and five assists.

Uneven debut: Philadelphia 76ers guard Michael Carter-Williams, selected 11th, had 26 points (8-for-23 shooting), eight assists and seven rebounds. He also had nine turnovers.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Olynyk is not a journeyman backup and his offensive game is not just ok, it's great!

It won't take long before Olynyk makes a believer out of you.

I hope you're right.   I see a guy who can shoot and has a few moves, but not an NBA star.   I think he's too slow to be that.   But, I'd love to be proven wrong.   I would love for this team to turn out to be better than I thought within 2 years.   

Given he has a college coach, if Olynyk works hard, he'll get minutes and he'll score because no one will believe he can consistently shoot.  But when the pressure is on and everyone starts playing that 4th quarter D, I believe we'll see big athletic experienced defenders (ie. Not summer league guys who won't make the NBA)  in his face and he won't excel.

We'll see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I told you boys that Olynyk was gonna be a feast to throw the ball down low to

Detlef_Schrempf
    Posted: 7/7/2013 10:07:09 AM
    He has great footwork, that's what you need to be a good post player on both ends if you're not super strong(and he should get stronger too). I do worry about his rebounding though....

He's also getting a lot of ticky-tack calls his way in this game, doubt that continues in the real league.
    ---
    "What the f*** is juice?"
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnwbnmx2Qb1qieluno1_250.gif
    Previous Versions

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Olynyk is not a journeyman backup and his offensive game is not just ok, it's great!

I hope you're right.   I see a guy who can shoot and has a few moves, but not an NBA star.   I think he's too slow to be that.   But, I'd love to be proven wrong.   I would love for this team to turn out to be better than I thought within 2 years.   

Given he has a college coach, if Olynyk works hard, he'll get minutes and he'll score because no one will believe he can consistently shoot.  But when the pressure is on and everyone starts playing that 4th quarter D, I believe we'll see big athletic experienced defenders (ie. Not summer league guys who won't make the NBA)  in his face and he won't excel.

We'll see.

Kinda tough on the rook who played his first game and seemed to do pretty well..

Remember, they said Larry was too slow and couldnt jump for the nba too.. way too soon to be trashin the kid and writing him off as a journeyman.. You may be right but first give him a chance to disappoint... today wasnt the day

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

We'll see.

Kinda tough on the rook who played his first game and seemed to do pretty well..

Remember, they said Larry was too slow and couldnt jump for the nba too.. way too soon to be trashin the kid and writing him off as a journeyman.. You may be right but first give him a chance to disappoint... today wasnt the day

You can defend the kid and have some good points.  But, please don't compare him to Larry Bird.  NO ONE I ever heard said Larry Bird couldn't play in the NBA.  He was one of the top 2 players in college when he came out.  He carried his team to the NCAA Finals with one or two potential NBA stars, at best.  He torched NBA stars on US National teams.   Larry was no where NEAR the question mark that Olynyk is.    

Again, I hope you are right, but I also know many fans like me are looking for a fast athletic team and that's not what we got here.  We got a player who would fit well with the old team of jump shooters.   But, we didn't get aplayer of speed who can defend.   If you like that (and I'm guessing you do), then you may be right about Olynyk.   I hope so.

In the meantime, I'll hold to my opinion.   25 points in a summer league shows he's got talent.  I like that.   But, I try to be honest about what I see and if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.   I was wrong about Bradley and admitted it.   But, I have season tickets to the Big East and I wasn't wrong about Melo.   Sometimes you're right and sometimes you're wrong.   We'll see on this one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

We'll see.

You can defend the kid and have some good points.  But, please don't compare him to Larry Bird.  NO ONE I ever heard said Larry Bird couldn't play in the NBA.  He was one of the top 2 players in college when he came out.  He carried his team to the NCAA Finals with one or two potential NBA stars, at best.  He torched NBA stars on US National teams.   Larry was no where NEAR the question mark that Olynyk is.    

Again, I hope you are right, but I also know many fans like me are looking for a fast athletic team and that's not what we got here.  We got a player who would fit well with the old team of jump shooters.   But, we didn't get aplayer of speed who can defend.   If you like that (and I'm guessing you do), then you may be right about Olynyk.   I hope so.

In the meantime, I'll hold to my opinion.   25 points in a summer league shows he's got talent.  I like that.   But, I try to be honest about what I see and if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.   I was wrong about Bradley and admitted it.   But, I have season tickets to the Big East and I wasn't wrong about Melo.   Sometimes you're right and sometimes you're wrong.   We'll see on this one.

Fair enough... I wasnt comparing Larry to this kid other than being slow, low jumping guys... and although I was a big Bird fan during his college days at Indiana State, I really didnt forsee what he became in the nba... 

Who thought he could rebound like he did or pass and be so clutch or be the heart & soul and unquestionable leader of the team?? The greatest player on your team diving all over the floor, spending his nights in traction and playing with a back that 99% of guys wouldnt even dare to get out of bed with... once in a lifetime type player..

but who really thought that?? Maybe Red

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Fair enough... I wasnt comparing Larry to this kid other than being slow, low jumping guys... and although I was a big Bird fan during his college days at Indiana State, I really didnt forsee what he became in the nba... 

Who thought he could rebound like he did or pass and be so clutch or be the heart & soul and unquestionable leader of the team?? The greatest player on your team diving all over the floor, spending his nights in traction and playing with a back that 99% of guys wouldnt even dare to get out of bed with... once in a lifetime type player..

but who really thought that?? Maybe Red

[/QUOTE]

Yea, man....we will likely never see another guy like that.   I am still amazed at the skill and the heart of that guy.   Larry  had Dave Cowen's heart/hustle, Sam Jones' shot, Bill Russell's leadership, and Bob Cousy's passing (ok, I may be exaggerating a little, but not too much)!

This will be an interesting year, my friend.   For the first time in years, I can't even form an educated opinion about what kind of team we will have!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

The most suprising thing about today's game was that Olynyk was a minus 6, and Melo was a plus 6.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Olynyk will never become the best player on the Celtics or will he become the 1st option any time soon. But a 7-footer that can score like that will always have a place in the NBA.

I think Olynyk can become a 2nd option and the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team in a couple of years.

Celts just need to get Andrew Wiggins. 

Agree 100%. KO will be a hard match up for whoever guards him. I say he averages 15 a game this coming year.

Sections
Shortcuts