Our rotation is 9 established players deep, can we get 1 more...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastCoastAudio. Show EastCoastAudio's posts

Our rotation is 9 established players deep, can we get 1 more...?

That's what made the Bull's so tough last year and helped them to grab the #1 seed in the east, their depth (until the unfortunate injury to Derrick Rose in the playoffs, which almost no team, no matter how deep, would've been able to overcome). But to be honest, the Bulls last season had a team that really wasn't that much more youthful or more energetic than we were with Carlos Boozer, Rip Hamilton and Kyle Korver all playing large roles, or it wasn't like they didn't have any nagging or devastating injuries to key guys like us either, with Derrick Rose, Joahkim Noah and Loul Deng all missing games or playing hurt. But they still had an amazing regular season, and were favorite's to win it all, while everyone said we "were too old!", and "it's time to blow it up!", until the playoffs.

The difference between our teams was when D. Rose missed a game, C.J. Watson stepped right in, or if Rip or Deng missed some games, Ronnie Brewer was more than an adequate replacement, and obviously Houston thought enough of what Omar Asik did when Noah was unavailable to ask him to do it full time for them. While in the mean time, we were starting Sasha Pavlovic in place of Paul Pierce on opening night and using what used to be Marquis Daniels to back him up at times during the season, or relying on a one legged fresh off a concussion Mickael Pietrus to take and miss crucial 3 pointers that could have sent us to another finals. 

I think it was probably right about that time, that MP missed those three's in game 7, that Danny Ainge came up with the plan for this season, or at least came to the realization we were going to come up just short again this year, but coming back re-loaded next year was our best option. Not "blowing it up" like everyone was saying. He probably realized if it was Jason Terry or Courtney Lee (or players of their calibur) taking those 3's in a game 7 in Boston, not Miami, we go back to the finals, and, well, you know... 18!

That's why I am so excited for next season and think Danny has done an amazing job so far, while still leaving us some flexibility and ability to improve even more. We actually lost Ray Allen, and I think got BETTER, by replacing him with C. Lee. We are on the verge of not only topping the depth the Bulls, not to mention Miami, had last year, but if we fill out the last 1 or 2 open roster spots we have just right, I think we could have a team that would still do damage if ALL of our starter's missed THE ENTIRE YEAR & PLAYOFFS!!

So far we have all our starters back (as soon as AB is healthy) which was a very effective unit last year, despite the fact it wasnt a great rebounding group. Keyon Dooling is great to have back in the locker room, but I expect him to be a emergency player/coach because Jet Terry is going to give us more offense off of the bench at PG/SG than Dooling ever could, maybe still be a 6th man candidate. Like I said I like Lee alot more than Ray Allen off the bench for us too, he's a better defender and little better rebounder, plus he'll be playing with Rondo for the first time. So he shot 40% from 3pt for Houston last year, maybe he shoots 45% from three catching passes from Rajon this year, and we dont lose anything offensively? Jeff Green, I really hope he's healthy and think he can help us alot, maybe/hopefully that passiveness he displayed at times will be gone too, because he can really be an elite and versatile player on both ends of the court (and at $9 million a year for 4 years he'd better be, because up until now his career number's mirror Marvin Williams, and everyone said his contract for $3 million less was too much!). Now we get to the Center position, I like having Chris Wilcox and Jason Collins together. Wilcox was really starting to play well last year and Collins isn't much, but is a great post defender who can set screens. I think the 2 of them will make a great backup center by committee pair with Wilcox backing up Garnett against teams that have agile, athletic centers and Collins playing back up against the larger, bulkier big guys, and especially getting the nod when we play Howard/Bynum/Big Al etc., because he his an elite low post defender. Also, Fab Melo is going to have a dominant season defensively, for the Main Red Claws(I suspect his college buddy Kris Joseph will be keeping him company there, along with the recently signed Jamar Smith). I think Dionte Christmas is a total wildcard and loved what I saw out of him in the summer leagues! He could end up anywhere from being a training camp cut to D-league assignee/star, or could even become our 10th rotation player or even Avery Bradley's temporary starter replacement.

So that gives us our 9 established rotation players(in no particular order): 1) Paul Pierce, 2) Kevin Garnett, 3) Rajon Rondo, 4) Brandon Bass, 5) Avery Bradley, 6) Jason Terry, 7) Courtney Lee, 8) Jeff Green and 9) Chris Wilcox/Jason Collins. I honestly cannot think of any other team that has that much talent among it's top 9 players, and the versatility of them all will make finding that one missing piece that much easier, because they can almost all play multiple positions.

In fact, Danny has done such a good job so far that I'm hoping the 10th player we are searching for is already on the roster in the form of Jared Sullinger. I have no doubt he will be one day, but Doc's insistence on defensive execution and reluctance to let rookies learn on the fly stand in his way. I think he would be great to start alongside KG because Garnett would mask his mistakes, and even though Jared's still a rookie, I'm willing to bet he's the BEST rebounder and low-post scorer on this team already, two things we desperately need more of! Also a starting lineup of Rondo/Bradley/Pierce/Garnett/Sullinger would allow KG to "not play center" lol, protect Sully a bit by playing with our two best perimiter defenders and interior defender and also improve our bench even more by moving Brandon Bass back to a reserve role that he also thrived in.

I do have my finger's crossed Sully's impressed Doc enough because I'd really like to se him succeed early on, and definitely think he fills alot of needs for us too! However, if not we do have a couple other options available, with either the bi-annual exception ($1.95 million) or minimum contracts. And with Danny, Doc, KG and others firmly pushin this championship window open a few more years, our position to attract free agents now is much better than it was at the start of July.

One option I hope we are or have looked at is Carl Landry, if we could add him via free agency or sign-and-trade without giving up much you'd have to think we'd be a lock to go all the way! He's a legit 6'9" 250lbs and could easily start at center, moving KG back to PF(even if its just technicality anyway) and also allowing Brandon Bass to move back to being part of an elite bench unit and giving the starting 5 more rebounding and a post presence. I know the chances of getting a young player of that calibur for the bi-annual exception is slim, look at the numbers he's put up(12 pts, 5 brds, 24 mins), but look at the teams he's put them up on, and he's having trouble getting a deal for the mid-level. Look at the contracts Brandon Bass, Glen Davis and even James Posey got after averaging similiar numbers for us, and then performing during extended playoff runs for us as well. So a one year pay-cut to play a significant role with a contender could be a good career move. And if he plays just one season with us, then bolts for bigger money (cough, posey, cough) so what Jared Sullinger will be battling him for minutes all season and ready to take over by then.

Or perhaps Danny could work some more salary cap magic like he did with C.Lee to get Landry a decent pay-day to come here too? I think we still have limited rights to Mikael Pietrus and Marquise Daniels to package in a sign and trade which with the salary cap rules should allow us to offer more than the $3.09 million mini mid-level exception any other contender whos over the tax can offer, like the lakers (so we should be able to offer a starting salary higher than what Ray Allen took to go to south beach, basically, by my understanding). And New Orleans doesn't seem interested in keeping him either so I'm sure toss a draft pick or two their way, and they'd be glad to help us out!

Now like I mentioned, that would be the ideal scenario! I only proposed it because everything else has gone right for the Green so far this offseason, so why not? But if that doesn't work out, there are plenty of other viable candidates to come in and be the missing piece in this championship puzzle that is quickly being reassembled in a form Red Auerbach would be proud of! A couple of these Bi-Annual/Minimum Free Agents could easily be the 10th guy we need, the guy that just gets us over the top(I'd prefer a big, but since there aren't a ton left and this team is versatile enough, I included wing players too because I believe Jeff Green could play BACK-UP power forward).

Tracy McGrady-Probably still wants to be 3rd or 4th man, too bad, might be good fit
    Mikeal Pietrus- We know what to expect, kinda
    Alonzo Gee- Averaged almost 10pts and 5 brds, athletic wing who can shoot 3's too
    Damien Wilkins- not there yet
    Brandon Rush- My favorite after Carl landry, shot 50%fg, 45%3pt, can rebound and defend and block shots too, from the sg/sf spot!
    Lou Amundson- Hustle garbage type of guy
    Kyrylo Fesenko-We have Jason Collins
    Kenyon Martin- Maybe worth a shot, I know you put him next to KG and they'll win you a couple games just by yelling after dunks and blocks alone
    Matt Barnes- A sleeper averaged 5.5 rebounds in about 20 minutes, or about the same number Jeff Green did in almost twice as many minutes in OKC, very intriguing fit with this team, tho he is a former laker 
    Carlos Delfino- quality muti-dimensional player, perfect 10th man
    Anthony Tolliver- can play both forward positions very well, shoot 3's and rebound, smart player
    Terrence Wiliams- Ton of potential here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you can just get him to accc rite!!!!!
    Donte Greene- ehhhhh big guy who shoots 3's, but not well
    Josh howard- if hes healthy, might be worth a look
    c.j. miles- scoring small forward who dislikes rebounding
    Andray Blatche- Ton of potential too!!!!!! has drawn comparisons to one Kevin Garnett but never lived up to them, instead lived up to knuckle head expectations very well!! Could still be a ton of talent there and a diamond in the rough, maybe even playing with the real Kevin Garnett could make Andray act just a little bit more like him and salvage some basketball potential out of this guy before its gone!

Any other suggestions/comments?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastCoastAudio. Show EastCoastAudio's posts

Re: Our rotation is 9 established players deep, can we get 1 more...?

Oh and just so everyone knows, I forgot to type it, but I knocked on wood immedietely after I typed everything's gone right this offseason for us so far...
    LETS GO CELTICS!!!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

In Response to Re: Our rotation is 9 established players deep, can we get 1 more...?:
    In Response to Re: Our rotation is 9 established players deep, can we get 1 more...? : Sullinger is not only the 10th man, he will also battle Bass for the starting PF spot in training camp. And there's no need to rush in acquiring another veteran free-agent because the Celts can always do something at the trade deadline.
    Posted by Fiercest34

I hope for the same, Bass seems a bit soft to me, great guy but our weakest link in the starting unit. I hope Sully can take his place soon, Bass would be better coming of the bench.
    I know Atlanta doesn't want to trade Josh Smith but if we could grab him we'd be right there with Miami. A deal would include Bass and probably someone like Bradley, and I don't want to lose him.
    Before anyone thinks I'm a sour grape, I'm fine with our roster, DA has done a fine job. And I really hope Sully pans out, he's a top 10 pick after all!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Sully makes it 10

The team should look for a Wilcox or Bass upgrade by the deadline to truly become a team that can scare the Heat

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Great read...well written and intersting!
    I'm a big Christamas supporter, too, but I think the real wild card is Jared Sullinger...because he can score in the low post and rebound; and no one excpet KG (but his knee wouldn't last a whole year doing that) on this team can also provide that.  Sully appears to be that guy that can get this team over the top...if you remember Paul Silas, a power forward does not need to play above the rim to dominate down low...and Go Celtics!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Good post, but did you mention Dooling?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Our rotation is 9 established players deep, can we get 1 more...?:
    Good post, but did you mention Dooling?
    Posted by hedleylamarr

yeah great post, but I would say this team goes 11 deep with Dooling and sully. Even with the inevitable injuries this team should shine.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

great comparison with Sully/Silas.......he was one of my favorite players back when he played in Boston.....couldn't jump but man could he rebound and score when we needed it...good defender too......I was really disappointed when Red shipped him out....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

If would sign for bae or min Carlos Delfino would be a great cherry on top move by DA.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

If Sully proves he is better then Bass and wins the starting position, If KG plays as well as he did last season, if Pierce, and i think this is the biggest if, comes into the season in shape and ready to play from the start, and stays relatively injury free, we could do a whole lot more than just scare the Heat. We could beat the Heat!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Dooling WAS the "1 more".

no need to be greedy here, we all know Ainge is done for now...the roster is set.

Garnett
    Colins
    Melo
    Bass
    Sullinger
    Wilcox
    Green
    Pierce
    Joseph
    Lee
    Bradley
    Christmas
    Terry
    Rondo
    Dooling
    Smith

a couple more D=league types for camp and we're done.

Just how many minutes are there to share anyway?

However, lets not Over hype the players we do have.

We know what we got with the starters
    Garnett
    Bass
    Pierce
    Bradly
    Rondo

second team

Wilcox - hasn't been anything but a 1000 minute Back up lately (hopefully he continues to "enjoy" playing for the Celtics and keep his head in the game) anything more is un -realistic, IMO.

Lee- Will most likely start at least while Bradley is out (though I think Bradley comes back and joins Terry off the bench).

Green- Biggest UPGRADE from last year along with Lee, IMO. Will actually bring real energy of fthe bench up front (unlike the worthless energy that Hollins supposedly brought). but he's a lousy shooter, mediocre rebounder and is coming off missing an entire season. Glad we're not counting on him to be a star next year!

Terry-Good choice as a replacement for Allen (and YES I thnk thats why Ainge signed him even though they were "trying" to bring Allen back.....Ainge knew the bridges were burned with Allen). Vet who enjoys coming off the  bench and can hit the outside shot.

Sullinger- I put him in the 10 man rotation even knowing that Doc doesn't trust rookies at ALL. Sullinger will get regular minutes early, but I doubt any in crunch time this year. We all need to remember he is a rookies even though he's a 4 year college player.

Last five will see marginal minutes under Doc unles there are major injuries, IMO.

Collins- Has averaged about 400 minutes a season the past few.

Melo- Rookie, no real impact in the summer league, Doc as coach....hpoe he leeps his sneakers tied and learns about being a pro fomr Garnett this year

Joseph- Rookie, enough said

Dooling- Will see the most minutes out of this group, IMO. With that said might find it hard to crack 600 total this year as the 11 man.

Christmas- I think he makes the team primarily because of Bradley missing time early. That doesn't mean he'll actually get in many games however.

Now one of the biggest deal this coming year is Doc. Will he finally limit the minutes of His starters Like he did with Garnett last year?

If he does the improvements in our bench will do wonders, if NOT......all of Ainges work will be for naught.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

DA did good.

I worry about  no big and sull's back
    and IF Doc even plays the rooks

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

If Sully proves he is better then Bass and wins the starting position, If KG plays as well as he did last season, if Pierce, and i think this is the biggest if, comes into the season in shape and ready to play from the start, and stays relatively injury free, we could do a whole lot more than just scare the Heat. We could beat the Heat!!
    Posted by kyceltic
    Sullinger's chances of starting this season are very slim to nil. Doc Rivers operates on the merits system as far as playing time is concerned. Doc also likes to break-in his rookies slowly. Bass has earned his starting position just like Bradley has. Sullinger has shown glimpses of talent during the summer league games, but he is not yet starter material. I won't even discount the possibility that the Celtics will send him down to the DL at some point so he can get more playing time. With regard to Pierce (and KG), they will likely show up for camp in shape. There was a serious threat of last season's cancellation, and that caused a lot of players to ease up on their personal training regimes.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

Bradley is likely hurt to begin the season. Sullinger, Joseph, and Melo are rookies. Christmas and Smith are completely unproven nba players who may not even survive training camp. 

That leaves. 

C Garnett
    F Pierce
    F Bass
    G Rondo
    G Lee

G Terry
    G Dooling
    C/F Wilcox
    F Green
    C Collins

That's actually 10 deep and Bradley's return makes it 11. Hopefully Sullinger can perforrm well and we'll be good. Otherwise, not crazy about Wilcox and Collins being the options at the back-up 5...but for the regular season this should be fine. Sullinger and/or Melo emerge come playoff time or Danny goes after a veteran deadline pick-up looking for a shot at a title. Right now it's a team that appears good enough to at least get to a conference final. On paper they still probably don't beat the heat (or OKC), but that's why they play the games. Think they're right there with teams like The Lakers; Dallas; Clippers; Bulls, Knicks talent-wise and have a solid nucleus of returning veterans (rondo/garnett/wilcox/green/dooling/bass), some with championship experience (Rondo/Garnett/Terry). As much as I hated to see Ray go, I'd take Lee and Terry over Pietrus and Ray any day of the week. Green is a huge upgraid over minutes filled by Sasha and Damiels and the like. A healthy Wilcox is a plus. The only step down was the loss of Stiemsma, who emerged as a prototypical back-up. Collins/Wilcox does not really fill that hole, though it's not a giant problem.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to Re: Our rotation is 9 established players deep, can we get 1 more...? : According to Greg Anthony, when he and Doc played golf during the summer league, Doc told him Sully will get a chance to start this season.
    Posted by Fiercest34
    Ok, let's see what happens. Doc can always change his mind. Any combination that results in wins is fine by me.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastCoastAudio. Show EastCoastAudio's posts

Thanks for all the great post's and feedback guys! I'm glad to see everyone's as excited as I am to see what this team can do with all the line-up possibilities we have at our disposal now.

I agree Jared Sullinger, if given a chance, could be really good with this team and should start from day 1. If for no other reason than the player he would play best with on this team is KG. But I do think he's already the best rebounder and low post scorer we have already, and those are areas we NEED help, so it's going to be some fun and interesting debate between now and opening night, and then it'll really get good haha!

And to hedleylamarr, and the other guys who mentioned Keyon Dooling too, add me as a KD fan too, I loved his addition at the start of last season. But then he got hurt and took a while to find his groove on the court, and by the time he did Avery Bradley had already emerged and it was basically the playoffs already. That's when Dooling played outstanding for us, and I bet if he was healthy and played that well all season, we would've re-signed him and spent the mid-level on a big instead of Jet Terry. The issue with him becoming an everyday player now is he's move C. Lee to backup SF and all our guards would be 6'2" or under. He will definitely help hold the fort till AB gets back though, and be huge in the locker room regardles of on court role.

Sections
Shortcuts