Overrated Players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Overrated Players

Wow,  ran across this.  Charlie Rosen probably lost out on any stories with these guys.  A lot of it I agree with though.

Here is my latest collection of the NBA’s most over-valued no-so super stars:

Dwight Howard heads the list. Yes, Mike D’Antoni’s ill-fitting offense is partially to blame for Howard’s relative invisibility with the Lakers. But Howard deserves no sympathy points for his post-surgical mediocrity. If he’s well enough to play, he’s well enough to be subjected to criticism. His number were good in Orlando, only because he was the Magic’s featured player (except in endgames where he transformed free-throws into the heaving of bricks). As I’ve said many times before, his immaturity, limited offense, faulty defensive rotations, and miserable performances at the stripe combine to make Howard a loser.

Chris Kaman has predictable offense, lamentable defense (blocked shots is only a tiny measure of a player’s defensive effectiveness), and a great deal less athleticism than his peers. For sure, on rare occasions he’ll block a shot and throw an assist pass, but his turnovers usually outnumber the combined per-game total of these positives.

Chris Bosh scores most of his points on uncontested mid-range jumpers resulting from opponents’ defenses having to key on LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. His individual defense is below par as is his passwork.

USA TODAY Sports ImagesRussell Westbrook is incredibly quick (within a limited space) and fast (from coast-to-coast), but he’s not suited to be the point guard on a championship-worthy. That’s because he still overhandles, forces too many shots, often ignores Kevin Durant, is an iffy shooter from beyond the arc, and is a turnover machine. It’s remarkable how little his point-guard play has improved since he was rookie four-plus years ago. Westbrook (and the Thunder) would be better served if he was repositioned at the two-guard slot.

Roy Hibbert is weak, awkward and, despite being 7-foot-2, is short-armed whenever a game is up for grabs. His appearance in last year’s All-Star game is more indicative of the shortage of outstanding centers in the NBA than is it of Hibbert’s skills.

Rajon Rondo’s ornery, petulant attitude is beginning to have more of a negative effect on the old-and-in-the-way Celtics than his effectiveness on the court.

Kevin Garnett is, and always has been, a choker. Expect him to tally beaucoup points in blow-outs, to be a cheap-shot artist, and for his mouth to be bigger than his game.

Brandon Jennings has an exaggerated opinion of his own value. In truth he shoots too much and too inaccurately, and plays only for steals on the defensive end.

Monta Ellis is another high-volume shooter who can’t differentiate between a good shot and a bad one. Also, his assist-to-turnover rate is only marginally acceptable.

Andrea Bargnani… Hold on. Does anybody in the league (except for his accountant) still retain a positive view of this guy?

Andrew Bynum will step on the court sooner or later, but chances are he’ll still have the same me-first attitude as he had in LA. The only way he’ll be happy in Philadelphia is if (win or lose) he becomes the team’s go-to scorer and virtually every offensive sequence goes through him.

Caron Butler had lost virtually every trace of his past mobility and become a stand-still shooter. He’s the weakest link in LAC’s starting lineup.

Carlos Boozer can bully smaller, weaker defenders, but is no longer a threat in the low-post and never did play acceptable defense. He also has a career-long penchant for playing poorly in the money season.

Deron Williams has apparently left his game somewhere in Salt Lake City. Without the support, definition, and protection of Jerry Sloan’s highly disciplined system, and with Joe Johnson being Brooklyn’s fail-safe scorer in the clutch, D-Will has been shooting too many blanks. Perhaps the next time the Nets visit the Jazz (March 30), Williams can persuade the local police to issue an All-Points-Bulletin to try and find his jump shot.

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/the-nbas-most-overrated-players#bcADf4eES3WLwgoE.99 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Re: Overrated Players

The silver lining in this list is that all of the non-C's are not on our radar...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

One thing for sure is the writer didn't pull any punches.

This is why I hate it when people use the superstar word so loosely.  A guy gets into a allstar game one year for whatever reason it may be, and he is a so called superstar\all star for the rest of his playing days.

IMO there are really only a few real Superstars in the league. 

Lebron and Kevin Durant are the real deals. 

Kobe was a superstar, not any more.  Never has made a player better.  Has more of a me first attitude than any player I have ever kept up with.  Kome has been lucky to be teamed with Shaq first off, then Pau during his best days.  Without a supporting cast of dominant big men,  Kobe is just a blip on the screen.  He was Robin even with Pau on his team.

Wade- see above, although a little bit better defensive player.  He had to have officiating and Shaq for one title,  Lebron for the other. 

After that we have a few that are close to being superstars,   Griffin, Paul, Love, and a few I left out,  but you get the picture.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Disagree on Westbrook and Boozer. If anything i think Boozer has overachieved!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is why I hate it when people use the superstar word so loosely.  A guy gets into a allstar game one year for whatever reason it may be, and he is a so called superstar\all star for the rest of his playing days.

Kobe was a superstar, not any more.  Never has made a player better.  Has more of a me first attitude than any player I have ever kept up with.  Kome has been lucky to be teamed with Shaq first off, then Pau during his best days.  Without a supporting cast of dominant big men,  Kobe is just a blip on the screen.  He was Robin even with Pau on his team.

Wade- see above, although a little bit better defensive player.  He had to have officiating and Shaq for one title,  Lebron for the other. 

After that we have a few that are close to being superstars,   Griffin, Paul, Love, and a few I left out,  but you get the picture.

[/QUOTE]

how can Blake Griffin be close to being a superstar but not Rajon Rondo? bc Blake dunks the ball hard?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

He's wrong on KG...only focussed on his offense, and he doesn't always choke he hits many clutch shots...but beyon that, KG is still a great team defender. I mean watching his defense this year (in most games) has been the highlight for me of this team so far.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

how can Blake Griffin be close to being a superstar but not Rajon Rondo? bc Blake dunks the ball hard?

[/QUOTE] Because you have to be a star before you can be a superstar!!  When you have games when you can get 6 and 2 points, it's hard to be thought of as a star, much less superstar!! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Because you have to be a star before you can be a superstar!!  When you have games when you can get 6 and 2 points, it's hard to be thought of as a star, much less superstar!! 

[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree.. if not for outrageous dunks, Blakes a good player, not an all star imo.. Dunks dont count anymore than a 10 foot jumper..

Cant buy into this guys list when he makes stupid remarks like Bosh scoring most of his points cause of Lebron and Wade being the focus of defenses... he forget when Bosh played in Canada, he was the focus of defenses and scored a ton more than in Miami

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

and Cousins wasn't on this biased list??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

interesting, bc looking back at Blake's game log this season i see that he recorded two games with 7 points and one game with 4 points. 

is it also hard to be thought of as a star when you have games with 18 pts,13assists and 20 rebounds? or 29,18 and 13? How about 19, 16, 6 and 4? 15, 20, and 11? 19, 12, and 11??

These are all actual statlines of Rondo. I could keep going. The scary thing is, those are all statlines just from PLAYOFF performances, against the best, when it matters most.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess because that is the way I see it.  I was witness to a triple double last game and he was just as bad on defense as he was good on offense.  Just my opinion.  Feel free to express yours.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess because that is the way I see it.  I was witness to a triple double last game and he was just as bad on defense as he was good on offense.  Just my opinion.  Feel free to express yours.

[/QUOTE]

i saw the same game, and he was BAD defensively, in the first half. About as bad as the rest of the team was. BUT in the second half, he was extremely disruptive and helped turn the game around.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

I was witness to a triple double last game and he was just as bad on defense as he was good on offense.

oneOnOne, doc's opinion was that rondo's and bradley's defense turned the game in the second half. 

oops. sorry for the echo, jamez.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The silver lining in this list is that all of the non-C's are not on our radar...

[/QUOTE]

someone had the audacity to say we should get kaman!!!!!   that guy averages about 40 games a year in his GOOD years

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to futbal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's wrong on KG...only focussed on his offense, and he doesn't always choke he hits many clutch shots...but beyon that, KG is still a great team defender. I mean watching his defense this year (in most games) has been the highlight for me of this team so far.

[/QUOTE]

kg came up plenty big in 2008.  what we're seeing now is him gassing out due to age, not due to lack of clutch.  at least that's what happened last year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i like calling blake griffin "fake" griffin....  he's WAY overrated- and the good news is that he may grow not to be that.  but for now he has almost no J, almost NO post moves and really only dunks the ball fancy.  when he goes to the FT line it's a horror show for the rim- is he high 50's or low 60's for %? 

he's in his third year now and there should be some movement toward shoring up a consistent mid range face up jump shot AND some back to the basket post moves but i don't see it coming.  i think for a player his size he is a below average rebounder and for a player with his athletic gifts i don't understand HOW he can avoid being 2 blocks per game, but he does.  1.0 or less