Owners own the teams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Owners own the teams

Owners own the teams and should be allowed to make the decisions about their business.   Playes work for the owner and should be allowed to contract with the owner for whatever they can get.  The contract should be binding in a court of law. The NBA has no business telling the players and owners what their contrcts can contain.  A small percnetage should go to the NBA used to schedule and administer the games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldschoolfan. Show oldschoolfan's posts

Re: Owners own the teams

In Response to Owners own the teams:
    Owners own the teams and should be allowed to make the decisions about their business.   Playes work for the owner and should be allowed to contract with the owner for whatever they can get.  The contract should be binding in a court of law. The NBA has no business telling the players and owners what their contrcts can contain.  A small percnetage should go to the NBA used to schedule and administer the games.
    Posted by maryngary

The NBA is the owners, one and the same.  Without a better system of revenue sharing there won't be much of a league because smaller market teams won't survive.  Some owners are their own worst enemy, however, because they overpay marginal players and then turn around and cry about it when they don't perform.  Fault of the owners and their GMs.  I do agree with the owners on one thing though, and that is doing away with guaranteed contracts.  How many times over the years have you seen someone get that big payday and then watch their effort disappear?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kycleptic. Show kycleptic's posts

Why not abolish the NBA and make a new league? lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

There are only three guarantees in life---DEATH, TAXES & NBA PLAYER CONTRACTS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

In Response to Re: Owners own the teams:
    There are only three guarantees in life---DEATH, TAXES & NBA PLAYER CONTRACTS.
    Posted by henryfinkel

Henry: These guys should be able to be cut like a surgeon does surgery at the drop of a dime, OK at proof of a guaranteed insurance payment! (LOL)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The players get the $$$ out of the owners.  The owners get the $$$ out of the attending fans, TV and radio advertisers.  The advertisers get the $$$ out of the product makers.  In the end, the public pays higher prices for products, whether they are fans or not.  The doo-doo runs downhill.  Feel free to correct me, if I am wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

The players, being locked out, could start their own league. They just have to call it something else. I am all for an employee-owned league. Correct me if I am wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

It would work they have enough money and would get a tv deal in a NY minute

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

It would work they have enough money and would get a tv deal in a NY minute
    Posted by genaro008

Stay thirsty my friend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTruthsays. Show TheTruthsays's posts

Why all the whinning from the NBA about losing money? That's suspect to begin with. However, who put a gun to their heads to pay the salaries they contract for?

If your business is losing money, do you hire more expensive employees whose presence on your team will not more than compensate for their salary?

Let the league fall to pieces. The owners aren't going to budge much, if at all, and the players will need to bend over and take it. Never liked the concept of owners needing to share with its employees. The risk is one sided and not free enterprise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

If the owners can prove all of the losses, then I say collusion charges be damned!!!As the owner of a team, one has the right to set his/her own pay scale....it's called good business and no one has an issue because it makes sense....if a group of owners all of a sudden realize just how much business sense it really does make....then it's collusion...? I don't buy the concept.....these athletes live in a different world....yes, movie stars also command similar salaries....if someone decides that Brad Pitt is too expensive they will look for someone else.....do these folks realize that most of us have to work full time for almost 50 years....?  ......and they make more than we do in only a few years!.....and they feel that it should continue even in a recession that is hitting the entire world.....? .....I do not in any way feel sorry for them....I realize that is just my personal opinion....believe it or not, I could live without the NBA at this point

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

bet you all those owners who claimed financial "losses" dont drive toyotas, hondas or any low budget cars. They dont live in 2 bedroom homes or their salary is not below the millions..this is a fight for power if you ask me...is greediness, it is how the world as a whole has become...the players on the other hand, are right there as well.. is all power and money...a shame...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

couldn't agree more my friend...!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I'm not too worried about the lockout. Many of us here have been around long enough to live through several strikes, lockouts or whatever the work stoppage is in major professional sports. They always get resolved. It's just a matter of time. Once the paychecks stop rolling in and the owners have to pay the contract payments on the arena, they will agree on a price to bring the revenue in again. I admit that I do miss all the free agent action that goes on in July. However the C's don't have much to work with this season, so not that much missed for we Celtics fans.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldschoolfan. Show oldschoolfan's posts

Why all the whinning from the NBA about losing money? That's suspect to begin with. However, who put a gun to their heads to pay the salaries they contract for? If your business is losing money, do you hire more expensive employees whose presence on your team will not more than compensate for their salary? Let the league fall to pieces. The owners aren't going to budge much, if at all, and the players will need to bend over and take it. Never liked the concept of owners needing to share with its employees. The risk is one sided and not free enterprise.
    Posted by TheTruthsays

Part of the problem is that there are a lot of costs for the owners that people don't think about, chartered aircraft, meals and per diem for the players on the road, ground transportation, hotel rooms, all of these things add up.  You know the players aren't living cheap at the local Holiday Inn and flying in coach.

Then think about how difficult it is to get players to go to smaller market cities, especially those that have cold winters.  Not much chance for promotional or sponsorship opportunities in Milwaukee or Cleveland and so it's hard to attract free agents and no team has ever gotten better by perennially picking in the lottery in the draft.  Bad team = poor ticket sales, poor ticket sales = not much buying power in free agency and subsequently not much to offer in trades.  Won't be much of a league if only a few teams can field good lineups and they beat up on the rest of the league.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldschoolfan. Show oldschoolfan's posts

If the owners can prove all of the losses, then I say collusion charges be damned!!!As the owner of a team, one has the right to set his/her own pay scale....it's called good business and no one has an issue because it makes sense....if a group of owners all of a sudden realize just how much business sense it really does make....then it's collusion...? I don't buy the concept.....these athletes live in a different world....yes, movie stars also command similar salaries....if someone decides that Brad Pitt is too expensive they will look for someone else.....do these folks realize that most of us have to work full time for almost 50 years....?  ......and they make more than we do in only a few years!.....and they feel that it should continue even in a recession that is hitting the entire world.....? .....I do not in any way feel sorry for them....I realize that is just my personal opinion....believe it or not, I could live without the NBA at this point
    Posted by Duke4

i agree with you about the potential for collusion charges if the owners decided to band together and stand firm about salaries outside of a lockout.  I agree too that sometimes the richer players forget what it's like to be an average guy making a middle class wage, which is astounding given that a lot of them were dirt poor when they were growing up.  But not all of the players are rich and not all of them get to play extended careers where they make multimillions.  I don't have sympathy for players who squander their money and end up broke, but I do feel for the ones that don't have an extended career, or get a career ending injury, and you realize that they need to get what they can get because the golden goose doesn't last all that long for a lot of them.  For a lot of these guys, basketball is the only skill they have, and while they're not stupid they sure aren't rocket scientists, so unless they go into coaching and are successful at it, they better have invested very wisely or started a business for after basketball.  Divide what they get by only a few years and not all of them end up really rich, only the superstars do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Go Duke

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stiorevo. Show stiorevo's posts

Personally I blame the owners on this lockout. The players want the same agreement and everybody was making money. The NBA was moving forward with becoming more popular (at least from what I have seen) Each owner has their own agenda, besides making money. Cavs owner wants to make a CBA to make the Miami heat break up their team. I hate the Heat, but even I think this is going overboard and this is an exact example that the players and fans have to deal with. Not to say that the players have some blame in this but again IMO the owners are to the majority to blame.

I personally do not see myself coming back and watching the NBA because of all of this crap. Bottom line is that the fan (which is the reason why the owners and players have a f*&^ing job in the first place) is the one that gets the most shafted!!!

Thank god that I have another sport to watch called F1 and do not have to deal with this crap (except for maybe 2013 when they change the engines!)

Players are greedy, Owners are even more greedy, and ultimately fans have to pay more and then deal with lockouts for what?

Oh, yeah thats right, for Stern to rig the sport.  Oh, wait it was only Donahue :)

NO THANKS!!!

Sections
Shortcuts