Paul lost this game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Paul lost this game

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:

Very interesting. To sum it up:

From almost everyone the only one who remains is Stan van Gundy? One name! I don't say that he is a better or worse coach than Doc (actually I'm also a fan of coaches who learn from scratch), but just ask a simple question again:

Do you think with JVG as a coach, we would have won a title or reach the finals with our current team?

He would have won the championship by sweeping every team in the playoffs...cmon now, seriously... thats not a very thoughtful question!  Who knows if he would win the title or fail to even make the playoffs...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

The KNICKS won the series.  We didn't lose it.  They were better all year, they were better the first three games, and they were better last night.

I will say, it's time to say goodbye to the two old warriors.............we love them, we respect them, but it's time to go now.

KG- please retire................PP, if you want 1 more year, how about the Clips?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

There is nothing more Doc or Pierce can do for the Celtics, time to say good bye. If Ainge was awake during the game he had to see Pierce has nothing left to give. 

Did anyone notice when Pierce went out of the game the crowd was silent, when KG went out he got a great ovation from the fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Everyone wants to blame someone. It's his fault ... no, it's his fault. I guess "you win as a team, you lose as a team" is only window dressing.

The C's lose their best player in January, they ride three guys who are legally old enought to be elected president, and they have no legitimate point guard or center. And they're expected to beat a young and talented team like the Knicks?

Talk about unrealistic. I was proud they won a couple of games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Everyone wants to blame someone. It's his fault ... no, it's his fault. I guess "you win as a team, you lose as a team" is only window dressing.

The C's lose their best player in January, they ride three guys who are legally old enought to be elected president, and they have no legitimate point guard or center. And they're expected to beat a young and talented team like the Knicks?

Not sure who youre referring to that  expected them to beat the Knicks in this series. I dont recall reading too many posts suggesting that.

I do believe its fair game to point out players that had substantially poorer performances than expected... and others that played well enough but were limited in PT

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

The KNICKS won the series.  We didn't lose it.  They were better all year, they were better the first three games, and they were better last night.

I will say, it's time to say goodbye to the two old warriors.............we love them, we respect them, but it's time to go now.

KG- please retire................PP, if you want 1 more year, how about the Clips?

=========================================

Monday Morning quarterback perhaps but I wish KG had waived his no trade & he and PP went to LAC( I don't hate them as I do the Lakers as I think of them being from San Diego). These 2 HOF could have retired in So. Cal where they live and with Paul & Griffin, might have won another ring.

I was so happy we won game 4 as I said ain't it great that PP & KG, if they are gone, didn't lose their last game in Boston. Then we come along and win in NY. I say this truthfully that had we won last night, albeit I recall our 2004 Red Sox idiots, never having done it before coming back winning 4 in a row against the Yankees(hate them as much as the Lakers), that many would have liked, even the sports world non Celtic fans perhaps after the Knicks classless wearing black to a funeral for game 5, Boston to have won the series. But I as in game 4 would have been feeling better that KG & PP won their last game in Boston and losing in the 7th in NY I still would not have felt that bad.

We sure fought a lot harder than the Lakers !!!

And re: the Heading...it is too bad PP didn't do what he has done in many games, score 20-25 and we might have won. He made a lot of turnovers too.  But recall in game 7 in 2010 vs Lakers that Kobe only shot 6 for 24 or 25% but 10+ rebs saved them( an egregious gift too of 41-18 foul shots with 21 just in the 4th qtr.) NY got 42 to our 35 rebs so 7 more extra chances did us in too so it wasn't just PP.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Love Pierce for all he has done over the years, but he DID look like the HUMAN TURNOVER MACHINE all series long , sloppy turnovers in every game and lots of bad shots hitting the front of the rim

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

KG really left everything on the court these last few games. I have never seen anything like it since the way Cowens played - all out, all the time. Paul was “bad Paul”; not so much the missing shots (forced too  many too soon but that happens); no, I'm referring to him leaving his guy open for uncontested threes (who mailed three early in the game) and then the uncontested back door layup late in the game. So, it was really on the defensive side where we saw the old, immature, “bad Paul”. What happened to the guy who took charges from LeBron and let his strong defense help get him in the flow offensively?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Doc surely could have sat PP a little more since he was just awful shooting and handling the ball. This was our game 7 and we just couldnt afford  PP for 43 mins..

While we're at it, JT started playing like we had hoped but where was he this game?? Just 24 minutes????????????  He shot 4-6 and 3-5 on 3 pointers... we shot terrible, we needed offense and JT was our hot hand and DOc plays him 24 mins???

JVG said it on ESPN... AB couldnt handle playing PG and it affected him shooting and defensively..a clear shot at DOc Rivers... we finally saw the AB of old in the 4th quarter, when the pressure seemed off and he could let it fly...

Sure, we can blame PP for this loss for he had a terrible game but who left him in for 43 mins to make sure we lost?? Doc the robot, unable to adjust and too narrow minded to adjust and go with the hot hand.

Agree with your post.  What is it with Managers of a team that sits on his hands when one of his key players can't perform as needed, whether it be a Manager leaving in a pitcher who is getting hammered, or a shooter (PP) who is not on with his shots, and still trying to dribble in the paint with 2-3 defenders around him, then turns it over.  PP has been great for the C's for many years, but sad to say his time as a productive player, that PP used to be, has come and gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Umm, after losing and not having a replacement point,(Rondo, a proven playoff star), a scorer off the bench (Barbosa), and an agressive rebounder(Sullinger), this team did very well and performed beyond predictions.  What would any other team have done (or did) after losing these key pieces (and not having a true center - that's on Ainge, not Doc)?  Making any analysis requires data, facts, and, in this instance, facts dictated an outcome that exceeded expectations.  In hindsight, no one but Ainge lost the series because he set the the team to fail the season.  Not Doc, not PP, not Terry, nobody but Danny Boy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

1-9 to start dug us too deep into a hole, and we couldn't recover.

Love Paul, but the loss is squarely on him.

And how many this year did he win?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

True Dat!  Where would the Celts be this year without Paul.  Heck, LeBron bolted to Miami to create a more complete team to win.

A lot of folks here are engaging in a cop out.  Ask them if Doc does anything right and you will not get an answer.  The Celts didn't have a competitive team so its open season on Doc.  It is easy and safe to be critical and point out deficiencies.  Making costructive suggestions is dangerous because you could be wrong.

Instead of appreciating Paul for keeping the team together and gutting out 40+ mins at this age, we choose to dump on him.  Perhaps it relieves folks their insecurities.  But it is sad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

True Dat!  Where would the Celts be this year without Paul.  Heck, LeBron bolted to Miami to create a more complete team to win.

A lot of folks here are engaging in a cop out.  Ask them if Doc does anything right and you will not get an answer.  The Celts didn't have a competitive team so its open season on Doc.  It is easy and safe to be critical and point out deficiencies.  Making costructive suggestions is dangerous because you could be wrong.

Instead of appreciating Paul for keeping the team together and gutting out 40+ mins at this age, we choose to dump on him.  Perhaps it relieves folks their insecurities.  But it is sad.

In this 6 game series CPP played an average of 43:02 per game. He has saved our bacon many many times over the years!! When Doc took him out at 27.3 seconds to play I truly believe the fans thought Doc was giving him a quick blow and was going to bring him back in. No standing "O"...nothing. I watched the look on Pauls face and indeed felt his pain. He knew he wasn't going back in the game.

When KG left in the last seconds he got that thunderous standing"O" all the way through the tunnel. (of course he deserved it) as did the whole team!

But...what a tragedy, the long time leader through thick and thin not being able to pull out one more game and Not  being honored with the monsterous standing "O" that he deserved.

Shame on you attending Celtic Fans!!

This Fan thanks you Paul! and I hope to see you here next year. Hopefully You and KG will get some real help. That well deserved standing "O" might be delayed but will happen I bet!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Not sure who youre referring to that  expected them to beat the Knicks in this series. I dont recall reading too many posts suggesting that.

I do believe its fair game to point out players that had substantially poorer performances than expected... and others that played well enough but were limited in PT

He's referring to all the posters on this Board who said Doc or Paul lost the series.   If they lost the series, then by definition you must have believed we could have beaten the Knicks.  NOT!  We were terrible all season and only made the playoffs because the East is so weak.  The Knicks played better ball and they have a young Paul Pierce in Melo, they have a center in Chandler, they have the 3 point shooters we used to have, and they move like young guys like we move like old guys.  

Doc didn't lose the series, the TEAM lost because we lost our point guard, lost our best rebounding forward, have OLD players, Bradley played terrible and was killed by Felton, Pierce missed shots and turned the ball over constantly, and KG has to play Center.   If you want to blame someone, blame our GM for the team he's built.  In the end, no one can shoot the ball for Pierce or Terry.  

We did learn, however, that Williams is a good backup point guard, that Jeff Green should start over Pierce if Pierce stays, that Lee and Bradley are too small to play too many minutes.  We just need a star to play with Green, Rondo, Sully, and the younger players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

+ 1.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

He's referring to all the posters on this Board who said Doc or Paul lost the series.   If they lost the series, then by definition you must have believed we could have beaten the Knicks.  NOT!  We were terrible all season and only made the playoffs because the East is so weak.  The Knicks played better ball and they have a young Paul Pierce in Melo, they have a center in Chandler, they have the 3 point shooters we used to have, and they move like young guys like we move like old guys.  

Doc didn't lose the series, the TEAM lost because we lost our point guard, lost our best rebounding forward, have OLD players, Bradley played terrible and was killed by Felton, Pierce missed shots and turned the ball over constantly, and KG has to play Center.   If you want to blame someone, blame our GM for the team he's built.  In the end, no one can shoot the ball for Pierce or Terry.  

We did learn, however, that Williams is a good backup point guard, that Jeff Green should start over Pierce if Pierce stays, that Lee and Bradley are too small to play too many minutes.  We just need a star to play with Green, Rondo, Sully, and the younger players.

You missed the point.. The issue was who predicted the C's would win the series.. Blaming someone for losing it after the fact doesnt mean they predicted the C's would win before the series started..

I agree with most of the rest of your post.

Also, think about something you said. We learned Williams is a good backup PG.. Do you wanna blame DA cause Doc didnt learn this until the final games of our season? Perfect example of talent rotting on the bench cause DOc refuses to use it until hes left with no choice

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Also, think about something you said. We learned Williams is a good backup PG.. Do you wanna blame DA cause Doc didnt learn this until the final games of our season? Perfect example of talent rotting on the bench cause DOc refuses to use it until hes left with no choice

When did we learn that? Williams scored a freaking 0 points vs the knicks (and 1 Assists). Missed a point blank layup, had a terrible turnover and a +/- of -15 equaling the worst of the team (Pierce was -6 by the way). That is way I call you guys delusional. Doc might not be a great coach, but to act as if we have all star talent on the bench in Williams and Randolph and Doc just doesn't play them is just not true. These guys are bad: Randolph is bad, Williams is bad and Crawford is bad. The first has not NBA body, the latter two have no NBA BB IQ. No coach yet was capabable to get sth out of these guys, not only Doc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

When did we learn that? Williams scored a freaking 0 points vs the knicks (and 1 Assists). Missed a point blank layup, had a terrible turnover and a +/- of -15 equaling the worst of the team (Pierce was -6 by the way). That is way I call you guys delusional. Doc might not be a great coach, but to act as if we have all star talent on the bench in Williams and Randolph and Doc just doesn't play them is just not true. These guys are bad: Randolph is bad, Williams is bad and Crawford is bad. The first has not NBA body, the latter two have no NBA BB IQ. No coach yet was capabable to get sth out of these guys, not only Doc.

Um, take a reading comprehension course before responding again. I was pointing out to the other poster that if he thought we found a good backup PG in Williams, look how long it took Doc to find him.

How do you even begin to criticize missing a point blank layup when almost our entire team has done the same?? I wonder if you really may be one of fierces other ids.. you seem to mimic most of what he says

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

Doc lost this series.

exactly

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Um, take a reading comprehension course before responding again. I was pointing out to the other poster that if he thought we found a good backup PG in Williams, look how long it took Doc to find him.

How do you even begin to criticize missing a point blank layup when almost our entire team has done the same?? I wonder if you really may be one of fierces other ids.. you seem to mimic most of what he says

Wow, you are really obsessed with Fierce! Just check the Terry vs. Ray thread and you will learn that we had our discussions as well.

It is simple:

If someone says. "we are better of with Terry instead of Ray". I will call him out.

If someone says, "if Rondo will not change his attitude he will become just a player like Karl Malone". I will call him out.

If someone says, we would be a contender, with this squad after Rondo, Sully and Barbosa went down, I will call him out.

Our team is old, and after we lost these 3 we weren't deep anymore. Old and not deep equals beeing doomed, just look at the Lakers. 5 minutes per game more for a minor player like Williams, Crawford, Randolph or Lee would not have made us a contender, simple. And it is not as Doc hasn't tried. He tried a lot, especially in this series, but NO ONE produced. Missed layup or not, Williams was horrible last game. Lee was horrible before. Terry was horrible for most games. Crawford was horrible.

If someone says, there are better coaches and GMs than Doc and Danny, that is fine. But you, among others, act as if they haven't done anything right in the last years. This is nonsens. If they are idiots, what are all the other coaches and GMs who haven't won anything in the last years? Megaidiots?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Wow, you are really obsessed with Fierce! Just check the Terry vs. Ray thread and you will learn that we had our discussions as well.

It is simple:

If someone says. "we are better of with Terry instead of Ray". I will call him out.

If someone says, "if Rondo will not change his attitude he will become just a player like Karl Malone". I will call him out.

If someone says, we would be a contender, with this squad after Rondo, Sully and Barbosa went down, I will call him out.

Our team is old, and after we lost these 3 we weren't deep anymore. Old and not deep equals beeing doomed, just look at the Lakers. 5 minutes per game more for a minor player like Williams, Crawford, Randolph or Lee would not have made us a contender, simple. And it is not as Doc hasn't tried. He tried a lot, especially in this series, but NO ONE produced. Missed layup or not, Williams was horrible last game. Lee was horrible before. Terry was horrible for most games. Crawford was horrible.

If someone says, there are better coaches and GMs than Doc and Danny, that is fine. But you, among others, act as if they haven't done anything right in the last years. This is nonsens. If they are idiots, what are all the other coaches and GMs who haven't won anything in the last years? Megaidiots?

We werent deep to begin with, as far as having major talent on the bench. ..and when we did have the entire group together, we were a sub 500 team. So whats ur point?

As far as noone produced in this series.... well, look at the series as a whole..who really produced on either team consistently .. cant expect ur bench players to outperform your starters.

This was a defensive series with the added touch of rotten shooting on both sides..  You say the C's werent contenders... I think you may mean they werent favorites to get to the finals.. but anyone in the playoffs is a contender.. If you dont believe that, then you must not believe in upsets or teams jelling or getting hot... much like the C's did last season.

Go watch Miracle on Ice or the 69 Mets.. or the wild card Oakland Raiders.. Look at all the late season injuries to good players.. changed the playoff landscape.. If Lebron tears an ACL, Duncan rips an achilles or Rose returns full strength... suddenly things change... as it already has

Favorite no..contenders YES

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Now, we have a serious dicussion, thank you.

I understand your points, I just disagree.

1. Please check some old threads from the beginning fo the season. A lot of people, including me, thought we were quite deep.

2. We never had the band together, as AB was injured early in the season, Darko left after sth like 5 games and Rondo, Sully and Barbosa were out in the end.

3. I agree with the band together, we should have been more than a .500 team, but as we had a lot of new players, everyone hoped we bring it together after the all-star break.

4. No one expects our reserves to outplay our starters, but please look at the numbers of Williams, Lee and Crawford. They were beyond terrible. Playing one of them 5 minutes more would not have changed anything.

5. Of course you are right: If you make ot to the postseason, you have theoretically the chance to win a title. Didn't Kobe and the Lakers sing this song for the entire season? BUT this chance is very slim, you need a lot of luck (like injuries to key players of the opponents, and health for yourself), a hot streak, a team built for the postseason, and maybe when you underachieved before in the RS it will help as well (meaning: you are actually a top seed team talent wise).

The point is: If you don't reach the finals, with our team, then your coach isn't an idiot. IT IS THE STANDARD. Our team would have to overachieve big time (again, after last year). After our key players were even older or injured, and we were not a great halfcourt team anymore, it was very unrealistic to win with this team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Doesn't matter how or why we lost but we did. By default the Knicks had the better team but I still think we could've won.but we didn't. Oh well any takes on what happens next?

Sections
Shortcuts