Paul Pierce is a mother f*ing legend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Paul Pierce is a mother f*ing legend

Watching the CSN Truth be Told special on Paul Pierce and it is indisputale. He is a legend. He has got to be the best clutch shooter in the modern era. Wow.

I really hope Danny can bring this guy back in 10 years for his final season, a goodbye tour, as a Celtic.

THE TRUTH

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

Re: Paul Pierce is a mother f*ing legend

In response to R9R's comment:

Watching the CSN Truth be Told special on Paul Pierce and it is indisputale. He is a legend. He has got to be the best clutch shooter in the modern era. Wow.

I really hope Danny can bring this guy back in 10 years for his final season, a goodbye tour, as a Celtic.

THE TRUTH

I would love to be watching it but NESN.com decided to BLACK THE SHOW OUT in our area of Spokane, WA. Are you kidding me. I guess the people that had to leave the greater New England are for work/Military do not matter to these jerks. It is a crying SHAME!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newbill. Show newbill's posts

Pierce was a good, not great player for the C's.

Prior to KG and RA coming to the team Pierce spent too much time trying to be a one man team.

His decision making at the end of games when he'd kick the ball off his foot on a predictable drive through the middle?  Not a sign of a great player.  It was poor coaching for years allowing him and Antoine to generally run the team with no one to answer to.  When Doc took over his primary issue was PP's stubbornness to conform to the team concept.  Great player?  Individually perhaps, teazm wise, perhaps not.  At least back then.

KG and Doc finally got him to beleive in team, not individuals win.  Unfortunately occaisionally the old Paul would re-emerge and drop kick another end of game opportunity.

Yes, a very good individual player but other than the few years with KG's and Doc's influence he certainly wasn't one of the all time greats.  A scorer yes and later in his career a pretty good defensive stopper.

Legend...sorry.  I can think of a number of C's I'd have taken on my all time team.  Notice I said team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Great player and clutch scorer.  Will always remember his ability to "give the game what it needed" late in his career. However, there was a time where he wasn't so mature and professional (aka the Ricky Davis years) and it wasn't until KG came that he really blossomed as a leader. I appreciate his years of service and it has been a joy to watch him from start to finish. Top 10 Celtic of all time, but not sniffing the top 5. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to newbill's comment:

Prior to KG and RA coming to the team Pierce spent too much time trying to be a one man team.

His decision making at the end of games when he'd kick the ball off his foot on a predictable drive through the middle?  Not a sign of a great player.  It was poor coaching for years allowing him and Antoine to generally run the team with no one to answer to.  When Doc took over his primary issue was PP's stubbornness to conform to the team concept.  Great player?  Individually perhaps, teazm wise, perhaps not.  At least back then.

KG and Doc finally got him to beleive in team, not individuals win.  Unfortunately occaisionally the old Paul would re-emerge and drop kick another end of game opportunity.

Yes, a very good individual player but other than the few years with KG's and Doc's influence he certainly wasn't one of the all time greats.  A scorer yes and later in his career a pretty good defensive stopper.

Legend...sorry.  I can think of a number of C's I'd have taken on my all time team.  Notice I said team.

Top 5 or 6 celtic of all time...a legend makes. Played with some of the most talent barren celtics team in the last...ever. He was a wine and cheese player. Age was very good to him.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

My top 5 of all time:

1) Bill Russell

2) Bob Cousy

3) John Havlicek

4) Larry Bird

5) Kevin McHale

These were impact players who could carry a team. I agree PP was a good individual player but wouldn't have won anything without KG and RA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfurybaglap. Show dfurybaglap's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

My top 5 of all time:

1) Bill Russell

2) Bob Cousy

3) John Havlicek

4) Larry Bird

5) Kevin McHale

These were impact players who could carry a team. I agree PP was a good individual player but wouldn't have won anything without KG and RA.

At least you are more realistic listing you top Celtic clutch shooters.  The kid who started this thread is touting all time NBA clutch shooters.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to dfurybaglap's comment:

[QUOTE]

My top 5 of all time:

1) Bill Russell

2) Bob Cousy

3) John Havlicek

4) Larry Bird

5) Kevin McHale

At least you are more realistic listing you top Celtic clutch shooters.  The kid who started this thread is touting all time NBA clutch shooters.  

[/QUOTE]

I've followed the Celtics for a number of years and my all time favorite was Hondo. Still remember hitting those clutch shots against Phoenix in 1976. Bird hitting numerous clutch shots at the end. Pierce maybe 2nd all time scorer in Celtic history but there's no way he is a top 5. If KG and RA never came in 2008 Pierce was looking to get traded. He got his ring and maybe the Nets will have enough to over throw Miami in the East. to me is still a tall order. The age went up big time for Brooklyn, now or never. Still got a rookie HC in Jason Kidd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

THE TRUTH

If Pierce comes back in 10 years it will a tour to a old age home....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[QUOTE]

My top 5 of all time:

1) Bill Russell

2) Bob Cousy

3) John Havlicek

4) Larry Bird

5) Kevin McHale

[/QUOTE]

dfbag you're wrong. I specifically said in the modern era which I more/less think of as Jordan -> today. And he is one of the best. Its assinine to say that Pierce is the enemy right now. You are worthless.

If that is a top5 Celtic list, Pierce is 6. Pierce is the best pure scorer in Celtics history (2nd in total points), and thats not just my opinion, its the opinion of bums like Mike, Tommy, and Cedrick. Bird has praised Pierce. You're a worthless sack if your racism is blinding you to what Pierce has accomplished in Green.

Personally, 123 is Russell, Havlicek and Cousy. I think 456 is a toss up between Bird, Pierce and McHale. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

AND, to be fair, those 1-5 are equally legends in their own right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My top 5 of all time:

1) Bill Russell

2) Bob Cousy

3) John Havlicek

4) Larry Bird

5) Kevin McHale

[/QUOTE]

I've followed the Celtics for a number of years and my all time favorite was Hondo. Still remember hitting those clutch shots against Phoenix in 1976. Bird hitting numerous clutch shots at the end. Pierce maybe 2nd all time scorer in Celtic history but there's no way he is a top 5. If KG and RA never came in 2008 Pierce was looking to get traded. He got his ring and maybe the Nets will have enough to over throw Miami in the East. to me is still a tall order. The age went up big time for Brooklyn, now or never. Still got a rookie HC in Jason Kidd.

[/QUOTE]

True, but common, those other top5 were equally loaded teams, and for the extent of their careers.

If it didn't take until almost the age of 30 before pairing Pierce with two other allstar HOF players, he would have more rings and a bigger legend.

Bird is a legend in his own right, but common he was on some pretty outstanding teams himself

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

AND, to be fair, those 1-5 are equally legends in their own right.

Come on Kid. You and a couple of others need to stop being such HOMERS and falling in love with Celtics players just because they are on your favorite team. PP was a great all around player for the Boston Celtics and he won an NBA Championship with them. He argueably wasn't even the most important player on his own team for most of the last 4-5 years, think KG. The fact that he was a Boston Celtic bolsters his credibility as a HOFer, but lets not get carried away with the "LEGEND" stuff. Legends are admired in nearly all NBA fan's homes accross the country without regard to their own favorite team. You are showing your immaturity with this stuff. Paul Pierce a "Legend"? NOPE, sorry, not a legend.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

it's hard to say pierce is a legend.  he did so much heavy lifting on so many rotten C's teams for so many years.

that said, he did do legendary feats against kobe, lebron and others to get us to where we needed to be.  but one lone ring and a legend?  can't buy it.  definitely a great player, but in the context of celts history, "legend" puts you in some high company.

IF pierce had better teams and won more then i'm not saying he wouldn't be "legend" but what we saw out of him was 2 or 3 years of truly great team ball (maybe more if you think the 2000-2002 celts were "good", which they were) and then decline.  very expensive decline

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

there's no doubt the c's were terrible during pierce's prime, BUT i do remember him just coming down and gunning a la kobe and not even trying to get the teamates involved.  there was a good two years of that.  you have no chance to get better if you just dismiss the rest of the roster. 

and look at his shooting efficiencies during the prolific stat years.  not great.  and not what a great player would have done.  pierce spent years being a gunner but he didn't really make those around him better.  i'd say since the new era dawned, he DID do that to the best of his abilities.  and did a good job of it. 

don't get me wrong- i don't think that any of that was easy for pierce to go through- the "bad" years.  but he was enjoying max contracts just the same.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

there's no doubt the c's were terrible during pierce's prime, BUT i do remember him just coming down and gunning a la kobe and not even trying to get the teamates involved.  there was a good two years of that.  you have no chance to get better if you just dismiss the rest of the roster. 

and look at his shooting efficiencies during the prolific stat years.  not great.  and not what a great player would have done.  pierce spent years being a gunner but he didn't really make those around him better.  i'd say since the new era dawned, he DID do that to the best of his abilities.  and did a good job of it. 

don't get me wrong- i don't think that any of that was easy for pierce to go through- the "bad" years.  but he was enjoying max contracts just the same.

Unlike some here who think that 'we become who we are going to be by the time we are out of diapers', I do believe that people and players evolve continuously.  Paul Pierce the legend also showed up at a post game with tissue wrapped around his face.  But he was an outstanding ball player then.  And he evolved into a more mature and more outstanding ball player.

We have short memory and have forgiven Pierce because of his contributions of late.  Yet we are ready to rake Rondo over coals.  Granted that Rondo has been more temperamental there is still a lesson to be learnt there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

My top 5 of all time:

1) Bill Russell

2) Bob Cousy

3) John Havlicek

4) Larry Bird

5) Kevin McHale

Cousy, by himself, could not "carry" a team - he required a team to be who he was.  Couz was an all-time 37.5% shooter and PP is currently at 44.7% - and that includes threes! I've watched the Celtics since 1959 and can say that there have been many great players all along the way, but none other than Pierce had to singlehandedly carry so many teams during his career.  Compare the rosters among Russell, Bird, Havlicek, etc. with those of Pierce before 2007/08.  Put Pierce on a Bird team or on a Havlicek or Russell team and he'd still be a star among them.  Winning (only?) one ring doesn't tell the entire story.  In crunch time, Cousy could find Sharman or Sam Jones, but Pierce tookthe big shots and made a habit of making them.  I would caution against being so cavalier with Pierce's place in Celtics history and why he is there.

I have the utmost respect for Bob Cousy and was lucky to have seen him play.  I use him as an example for comparison, not to diminish his abilities or career in any way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to newbill's comment:

He wasn't trying, he was the damn team for years.  Can you honestly say that there were other Celtics players during PP's career that should have taken over games instead of him?  Walker was an immature fool, and, though he arrived before Pierce, the team was never his to lead.  Once PP began displaying his abilities and making his presence felt, the team was his, and Walker was exposed as a fraud - a bad, but all-to-willing three-point maniac who couldn't take it inside without losing the ball on the dribble or off his foot.  He couldn't post smaller players and preferred to step back and fire away.  It was ugly.  Pierce brought aggressive sanity to the team, but unfortuately, no other equally talented players were added until 2007.  Jefferson came the closest, but he was/is one-dimensional (no D).  Perspective.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to painter's comment:

My top 5 of all time:

1) Bill Russell

2) Bob Cousy

3) John Havlicek

4) Larry Bird

5) Kevin McHale

Cousy, by himself, could not "carry" a team - he required a team to be who he was.  Couz was an all-time 37.5% shooter and PP is currently at 44.7% - and that includes threes! I've watched the Celtics since 1959 and can say that there have been many great players all along the way, but none other than Pierce had to singlehandedly carry so many teams during his career.  Compare the rosters among Russell, Bird, Havlicek, etc. with those of Pierce before 2007/08.  Put Pierce on a Bird team or on a Havlicek or Russell team and he'd still be a star among them.  Winning (only?) one ring doesn't tell the entire story.  In crunch time, Cousy could find Sharman or Sam Jones, but Pierce tookthe big shots and made a habit of making them.  I would caution against being so cavalier with Pierce's place in Celtics history and why he is there.

I have the utmost respect for Bob Cousy and was lucky to have seen him play.  I use him as an example for comparison, not to diminish his abilities or career in any way.

Just thought I'd chime in on this list. No way in hell Cousy is above Bird, that is absolutely REEEEDICULOUS! My list: 1) Russell 2) Bird 3) McHale 4) Havilcek 5) Cousy 6) Cowens

Bird may actually be number one and I know most people will say 11 championships and Russell was the best ever defensive player but Bird's overall skill level in all facets of the game is to this day possibly UNMATCHED.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

All semantics aside Paul Pierce is an all time great player and Celtic,whether it is #1 ot # 51. My hope is after this year he returns to the Celtics and either contributes to # 19 and/ or takes a victory lap in a Celtic uniform. I'll never wish any team but ours wins a ring but,I sure would cuss a lot less if he and KG did win this year,even though we are going to suprise in 2013. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

That's why it was stupid to make it Paul Pierce vs. Ray Allen.

Hands down Pierce is the better player.

And Pierce has an identity, he's a true Celtic.

Wow !!!! coming from you,thanks enough said.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

The best players sometimes never win a championship, and sometimes above average players develop better reputations than they deserve by being on a championship team.

My top 5 Celtic of all time are based not on championships, but all time level of play.

1) Bill Russell - league MVPs the main reason for the 60s championships

2) Larry Bird - league MVPs the main reason for the 80s championships

3) KG -League MVP the main reason for the last championship

4) DJ (The best player Bird played with) Great offensive and defensive player

5) Havlecek - Great all around

6) Kevin McHale - solid all around.

7) Sam Jones -The great scorer

8) Pierce - the 2nd best clutch shooter after Bird. Finals MVP

9) Cousy- Great player for his time best ball handler.

10) Parish- better than his reputation

Sections
Shortcuts