Paul Pierce is arrogant?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from malexandra. Show malexandra's posts

Paul Pierce is arrogant?

Dear Showtime32...

Re:  "Perhaps you should turn you're vision to 'I'm the greatest player in the world'-Paul Pierce.
    That's arrogance, especially when you consider he's not even top 10!
    "

Paul Pierce is arrogant? 

This is actually what was said:

"Q: Is Kobe really the best player in the world? Pierce: I don't think Kobe is the best player. I'm the best player. There's a line that separates having confidence and being conceited. I don't cross that line but I have a lot of confidence in myself."

And this makes him arrogant?  Confidence makes him arrogant? 

He probably ranks third or fourth in Celtics history.  Let's review some of Paul's accomplishments, shall we.

He scored his 20,000 point as a Boston Celtic.
    He is an all-time franchise great player.
    He's the 36th player in NBA history to score 20,000 points, doing so with less than 14 seconds in an overtime game win.
    He can shoot, is unselfish, took less money this year, sacrifices his body, pushes himself, IS the captain of his team and certainly a leader on the court.
    I would imagine that he's going to be a Hall of Famer, too.

Let's see, what else? Hmm. Oh! He ranks second to Larry Bird in scoring per game.

So two things, when you're going to quote something, make sure you quote it correctly.  He never said "I'm the greatest player in the world."  Remember, taking bits and pieces of a quote is for cowards.  And, if I'm not mistaken, this was in 2009.  And, two, maybe he's not in the top 10...But, I'd say he's pretty damn good!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

Re: Paul Pierce is arrogant?

Give it up. Paul Pierce isn't in the same leauge as Kobe. And please don't try to convince yourself Pierce is better then Kobe. Kobe is the best player in the NBA and has been for the last several years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schleprechaun. Show Schleprechaun's posts

Actually, that question was asked of him in the summer right after he abused Kobe and the Lakers in the finals, decimating them by a 30+ pt margin (and also bested Lebron 2 series' prior.)

So to do all of that, and then have someone ask you if you though Kobe was the best player in the league, well.... What would any Celtic fan WANT him to say?

Lakers fans have been taking that out of context since Paul said it. And then they come here crying that Phils comments were out of context. Too Funny!

Besides, was it really the CLASSY thing to do, on Phil's part? to comment on a struggling team and talk smack about the coach?

I would love to hear a Lacker fan respond as to how what Phil said shows any class at all.

ThanksWink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

When listing Celtic Greats start with Championships!  PP has (1).  Then go to the All-NBA 1st TEAM.  PP has (0).  How about All-Defense 1st TEAM?  PP has (0). 

Check out those records of Russell, Cousy,  Cowens, Hondo, Bird, McHale, Parish, and Sam Jones to name a few.

So Paul Pierce doesn't even rate as Top 5 on "O" or "D" in the league in any year in his career.

Paul Pierce is a SCORER.  That he does very well.  Oh:  You could also check for League MVP's.  I don't see PP's name amoung them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from malexandra. Show malexandra's posts

Dear CaptChris:

Thanks for the update.  Always like to hear other comments by fans!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Wonder how many of those things Capt Chris alludes to PP would have if he had KG and RA his whole career, like koME has had Shaq and Gasol!

How many people on crappy teams win any of those awards?  And THAT is not his fault!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Paul Pierce is arrogant?:
    [QUOTE] When listing Celtic Greats start with Championships!  PP has (1).  Then go to the All-NBA 1st TEAM.  PP has (0).  How about All-Defense 1st TEAM?  PP has (0).  Check out those records of Russell, Cousy,  Cowens, Hondo, Bird, McHale, Parish, and Sam Jones to name a few. So Paul Pierce doesn't even rate as Top 5 on "O" or "D" in the league in any year in his career. Paul Pierce is a SCORER.  That he does very well.  Oh:  You could also check for League MVP's.  I don't see PP's name amoung them.
    Posted by CaptChris[/QUOTE]

Just to show how much weight all this carrys tell me about KOME winning the MVP in last years finals?  No doubt who the MVP was and it wasn't KOME. Just because Kome is overated for his defense etc doesn't make it true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Just because PP exudes a lot of confidence in himself and his team doesn't necesssarily make him arrogant. Most of what PP says and does that is interpreted as arrogance is all part of gamesmanship. This is the world of professional sports.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Having been lucky enough to have seen all the Celtics since 1949, I can look at Paul Pierce objectively.  Sometimes hard to do, if you haven't seen all the players. 

Gets sad when someone says that those who didn't win a Championship can't achieve success.  I suggest that you might want to check out John Stockton  --  Karl Malone  --  Charles Barkley  --  to name a few.  Some guy named patrick Ewing too.

Finals MVP is no great judge of overall talent.  It it was Maxwell would be in the Hall of Fame.

Next someone will be backing Antoine Walker in a Poker Game!!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

a) Stockton, Malone Barkley and Ewing are all in the top 50 all-time NBA players list, PP won't make that.

b) they were on GOOD but not great teams.  I would equate PP more to Elvin Hayes.  Great player, but not on great teams until he got Unseld.
    Also the Big E is not a Top 50 player.

By the way, your last post is a complete contradiction to your first one.

In it you say, "when listing Celtics greats, start with Championships."

Then you say, "sad when someone suggests those that didn't win a championship can't acheive success."

So I have no idea what you think of Pierce, the subject of this thread.  At first, I thought you were bashing him because he hasn't won a lot of awards.  Now........are you defending him?    Sorry, Capt, don't see it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Simple!  The only teams that judge their best players by Championships are the Celtics and the Lakers.  Then you check the All-NBA "O" & "D" teams to see if the guy was good enough to be on one of those teams.  How many times?  A Good place to start.

People love the current Heroes.  Especially if they have never seen the past Heroes.  Or don't know the different rules used during a player's career.

For instance:  PP has scored almost 1500 extra points on the "3" pt. shot, that didn't exist when "Hondo" was playing. 

Today's many Assists would not have counted in Cousy's era.  An Assist then was a pass that led to a basket with no more than one dribble.

Some guys played their whole careers during the hand-checking era.  Wee bit hard to drive or get off a shot with a hand on you.

Real LAUGH is todays "Flagrent Foul".  McHale would still be suspended since the 1980's. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Simple!  The only teams that judge their best players by Championships are the Celtics and the Lakers.  Then you check the All-NBA "O" & "D" teams to see if the guy was good enough to be on one of those teams.  How many times?  A Good place to start. People love the current Heroes.  Especially if they have never seen the past Heroes.  Or don't know the different rules used during a player's career. For instance:  PP has scored almost 1500 extra points on the "3" pt. shot, that didn't exist when "Hondo" was playing.  Today's many Assists would not have counted in Cousy's era.  An Assist then was a pass that led to a basket with no more than one dribble. Some guys played their whole careers during the hand-checking era.  Wee bit hard to drive or get off a shot with a hand on you. Real LAUGH is todays "Flagrent Foul".  McHale would still be suspended since the 1980's. 
    Posted by CaptChris[/QUOTE]

As would Kermit Washington, Ricky Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer.

Still don't know how you fell about Pierce!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

What a wierd thread.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

[QUOTE]What a wierd thread.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  Who the hell cares.  So what if PP thinks he is the best in the world?  I bet all elite players feel like they are the best at their positions.  That is the proper attitude to have.  The first step in accomplishing is to believe.  If PP didn't believe he was better than Kobe and Lebron, he would not have been able to outplay both on the way to his first championship.