Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/zarrabi/2011/01/25/donnie-nelson-pierce-was-the-safe-money-nowitzki-was-the-smart-money/#comment-175

A lot of Texas fans think Pierce would have never won anything without the big 3 and put Dirk ahead of Pierce. Your guys take?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki

Only Don Nelson would pick Dirk at that time. If Pierce and Dirk were available at the time the Celtics were picking I think Pitino would still have drafted Pierce.

Pierce would have never won anything without the Big 3, but Dirk HAS NOT WON A CHAMPIONSHIP. And that's a fact!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The difference between Pierce and Dirk is Pierce is a winner, a trait shared by all Celtic Greats. 

Back in 2006, when the Mavs were up 2-0 in the Finals against the Heat, Dirk never stepped up to close out the series and win a championship for the Mavs. I mean how could you lose 4 straight games in the Finals when you're already up 2-0?

In 2008 Pierce showed us how tough he was when he came off the wheelchair to lead the Celtics to victory.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

In Response to Re: Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki:
    Only Don Nelson would pick Dirk at that time. If Pierce and Dirk were available at the time the Celtics were picking I think Pitino would still have drafted Pierce.
    Posted by P34

you know whats funny, i heard the only reason they drafted pierce is because dirk was drafted before the celtics could nab him. which was like 1 or 2 spots?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki : you know whats funny, i heard the only reason they drafted pierce is because dirk was drafted before the celtics could nab him. which was like 1 or 2 spots?
    Posted by PierceIsTheTruth

Not true. At that time Dirk was a teenager who was deemed a project by many NBA scouts. 

Give credit to Don Nelson, he gambled and it paid off.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

TOugh choice.. DIrk is just unstoppable, a 7 footer shooting fall away jumpers and drilling them. How the heck can you defend that?

Pierce extremely talented player who's a scoring threat inside, outside & in the middle... also very clutch.

Why did you come up with this thread for... making me think too hard.

I couldnt complain no matter which one was chosen.. both have legit cases and are great players

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I also believe that they are both great players and either one of them would be a good choice for any NBA team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

It's true.  Pitino was planning on drafting Dirk, whom he had secretly scouted in Europe and had hoped to keep off other teams' radars.  Whether he would have switched to Pierce after Paul dropped into range is unknown, but when Dirk was snatched up ahead of the Celts pick, Pierce was the obvious "fallback."  (Pitino attended a summer league game, watched Pierce, and commented "Gee, Pierce is having a good night tonight."  The official he was talking to replied: "He's like this every night.  He's been the best player here."  That's when he realized he had something.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

It's true.  Pitino was planning on drafting Dirk, whom he had secretly scouted in Europe and had hoped to keep off other teams' radars.  Whether he would have switched to Pierce after Paul dropped into range is unknown, but when Dirk was snatched up ahead of the Celts pick, Pierce was the obvious "fallback."  (Pitino attended a summer league game, watched Pierce, and commented "Gee, Pierce is having a good night tonight."  The official he was talking to replied: "He's like this every night.  He's been the best player here."  That's when he realized he had something.
    Posted by Number6Fan

If it was secret how did you find out about it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

TOugh choice.. DIrk is just unstoppable, a 7 footer shooting fall away jumpers and drilling them. How the heck can you defend that? Pierce extremely talented player who's a scoring threat inside, outside & in the middle... also very clutch. Why did you come up with this thread for... making me think too hard. I couldnt complain no matter which one was chosen.. both have legit cases and are great players

Posted by Karllost

The blog made me think alot as well. Personally, I think that Dirk would have jumped around the league in different teams if he was not drafted by Nelson. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If both were available it's safe to say that either was a good choice.  Both have had consistency and longevity, and both have had mediocre supporting casts for the majority of their careers so it's hard to pin the performance of their respective franchises on one player. 

I remember at the time the scribes talking about how Pitino was enamored with Dirk, and rightfully so since it turned out well for Dallas.  Pierce was a pretty good consolation prize.  Two hall of famers.

I hope Dirk gets to win one after the C's blow up the current roster.  Or maybe he's the next KG after KG retires.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

>>If it was secret how did you find out about it?<<

It's been written about (and confirmed by Pitino) a number of times over the past 10 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

/>>If it was secret how did you find out about it?<<   It's been written about (and confirmed by Pitino) a number of times over the past 10 years.
    Posted by Number6Fan

That Pitino,  he is a sly fox.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

Pierce was just a good player on a bad team before Garnett and Allen came along. That's all he would have ever been without that trade. Dirk actually led his team to the finals by himself, which is more than Pierce could ever say. To  be honest, I think there's probably at least 20-25 or more players in the league right now who would be just as successful if they were in Paul Pierce's position. He got lucky.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Pierce was just a good player on a bad team before Garnett and Allen came along. That's all he would have ever been without that trade. Dirk actually led his team to the finals by himself, which is more than Pierce could ever say. To  be honest, I think there's probably at least 20-25 or more players in the league right now who would be just as successful if they were in Paul Pierce's position. He got lucky.
    Posted by CVD2312

Kinda of like Kobe playing with Shaq and getting three rings and 2 with Gasol. What did he ever do by himself?  NADA.  Put Pierce in Kobes shoes and he has just as many titles probably more since he would have never ran Shaq off. 

Aren't you the old Blazer poster?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

NBA MVP, 4 times ist team all NBA, 4 times 2nd team all NBA, 10 years in a row NBA all star team, didn't need 2 super stars to carry team. Yes Paul was a pretty good consolation prize, but a consolation prize all the same. If Dallas hadn't of out smarted us and moved up to get Dirk, he would be pushing Bird as to who was the most popular Celtic of all time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

I hate Kobe. But please don't say that Paul Pierce is just as good as him. If you really think that, then you are just ignorant. If you put Pierce on the Lakers with Gasol, they do not win a title. Period. Now, if you put Pierce with Shaq on the Lakers back in the day, they would probably still have won because Shaq was that good, and Kobe wasn't in his prime yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Posted by CVD2312

Not true, CVD.  Take a look at the roster of Pierce's teammates vs who Dirk played with when he went to the finals and you'll find he had a better team that Pierce's bad teams.  Dirk had Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Jerry Stackhouse and Marquis at better times in their career, Devin Harris and Keith Van Horn.   Not an allstar roster, but it beats the bunch of kids that Pierce played with.

Now, the difference is that when Dirk got to the final, he could not deliver and when Pierce got there, he was Finals MVP.  

Overall, I prefer Pierce as he's a better defender than Dirk, although both are great offensive players.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I recall that draft day well. Pierce slid to #10 and Dirk was selected ahead of him at #9. Both are great players and will be in the hall of fame. Since Paul is a carrer Celtic, of course I prefer Paul.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I give the slight edge to PP because I think he gets to the rim better and creates a little better than DN. Again, probably in the eye of the beholder.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

Posted by Number6Fan

Not entirely true. 

Pitino had no idea that Paul Pierce would drop as low as he did.  He might have been planning on drafting Dirk because he was almost sure that players like Pierce and Carter would not be available at numbers 9 and 10.

Dirk wasn't known much in the NBA and most did see him as a potential project.  Players like Pierce and Carter were much better known and most people agreed that they were both NBA ready.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

NBA MVP, 4 times ist team all NBA, 4 times 2nd team all NBA, 10 years in a row NBA all star team, didn't need 2 super stars to carry team. Yes Paul was a pretty good consolation prize, but a consolation prize all the same. If Dallas hadn't of out smarted us and moved up to get Dirk, he would be pushing Bird as to who was the most popular Celtic of all time.
    Posted by kyceltic

Is this a joke?  Pushing Bird as to who was the most popular Celtic.  Let me remind you, Bird was abolustely fantastic in the playoffs and one of the clutchest players of all time.

Dirk, on the contrary, has the reputation of choking up in the playoffs.  Twice in his career, Dirk has arguably had the best team in the NBA and still remains ringless.

Winning rings gets you popularity.  I don't think Dirk would come even close to Bird's popularity.

On paper, Dirk is one of the best players in the league.  Truly unstoppable.  A freak.  But when it matters the most--playoffs--he hasn't done much in his career.  That alone makes me think that any smart GM would prefer both Bird and Pierce over Dirk if their intention was winning a championship.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Ky your getting flamed again.

www.freefoto.com/images/33/15/33_15_57---Fire-Flame-Textures_web.jpg?&k=Fire+%2F+Flame+Textures" alt="" width="325" height="488" />

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

Whoever said Dirk is known to "choke" in the playoffs doesn't know what they're talking about. His career regular season avg's are 23pts 8 reb. His career playoff avg's are 27pts 8 reb. If Dirk were in Paul Pierce's situation, he would have just as many, likely more, rings than Pierce does. Pierce would never have played in the finals if he had been drafted by Dallas. Success in the NBA is a lot about luck. Pierce got lucky with the situation he was given.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Whoever said Dirk is known to "choke" in the playoffs doesn't know what they're talking about. His career regular season avg's are 23pts 8 reb. His career playoff avg's are 27pts 8 reb. If Dirk were in Paul Pierce's situation, he would have just as many, likely more, rings than Pierce does. Pierce would never have played in the finals if he had been drafted by Dallas. Success in the NBA is a lot about luck. Pierce got lucky with the situation he was given.
    Posted by CVD2312

You don't know any of what your saying.  Just your opinion. Period.  Now I do know about the rest of the post.  I can say something just like you. The Mavs would have won the title with Pierce.  Maybe Dirk doesn't hit the shots when it counts like someone else I know.  You know , the MVP when he made it there.

When was the last time the Blazers got past the first round of the playoffs?  Hmmm I am thinking. 

I like Dirk but how does he lose 4 games in a row in the finals?  PP never has done that. BTW Dirk's owner has spent money on his team every year trying to win a championship.  Paul has never had that until recently.

And Kome got lucky in the situationS that he has been in.

Sections
Shortcuts