Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki

CHOKE or CHOKING is leading in the NBA Finals 2-0 then ending up losing the series 2-4. How could you lose 4 straight games in the NBA Finals when you're leading 2-0?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

This discussion has nothing to do with the Blazers so I don't know why you're talking about them. And Paul Pierce was just another Danny Granger type before he got lucky with that trade. You cannot deny that. If a team like Indiana suddenly traded for Carmelo Anthony & Manu Ginobili, I bet Granger would suddenly be a perennial all-star as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki:
    [QUOTE]This discussion has nothing to do with the Blazers so I don't know why you're talking about them. And Paul Pierce was just another Danny Granger type before he got lucky with that trade. You cannot deny that. If a team like Indiana suddenly traded for Carmelo Anthony & Manu Ginobili, I bet Granger would suddenly be a perennial all-star as well.
    Posted by CVD2312[/QUOTE]

The Celtics had Ray and KG but Pierce was the Finals MVP in 2008.

Pierce has led the Celtics in scoring the last 11 seasons. Something a guy like Danny Granger has not done yet. 

And I'd rather be Paul Pierce than Brandon Roy right now.

HAHAHA!!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Someone is really looking stupid about now!!! HAHAHA!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE] Someone is really looking stupid about now!!! HAHAHA!!!!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

Yeah! Someone from Kentucky who's only happy when Paul Pierce did not have a great game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

I'd have to give the Good German the nod last nite tho..ouch

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Pierce was just a good player on a bad team before Garnett and Allen came along. That's all he would have ever been without that trade. Dirk actually led his team to the finals by himself, which is more than Pierce could ever say. To  be honest, I think there's probably at least 20-25 or more players in the league right now who would be just as successful if they were in Paul Pierce's position. He got lucky.
    Posted by CVD2312[/QUOTE]u r NUTSSSSS. not only is pp a far better player than dirk, he is more clutch than most including KOBE (yep that fraud wearing #24 in LA). pp is also the most efficient scorer perhaps in the history of the game. plus the biggest difference between him and the dirks of the world and most other high caliber guys is commitment to defense. dirk could not stop my
    grandmother and she's been dead for 20 years. love when the announcer said in the crunch last night that kg just wanted the ball more than dirk when he AGAIN outmuscled and outhustled him for a key rebound... when has anyone EVER said that about pp? he never gets outhustled for anything. so yep if we are talking paper talent and purely talent tangibles, give me dirk and othrs. factor in the actual games and the intangibles, give me pp anyday (including over that guy in LA)!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]CHOKE or CHOKING is leading in the NBA Finals 2-0 then ending up losing the series 2-4. How could you lose 4 straight games in the NBA Finals when you're leading 2-0?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Very good point.  Dallas doesn't have a very good playoff record.  Even if they improve and end up 2nd in the Western Conference, I still don't believe they will make it to the finals this year.   Some teams don't show up in the playoffs and they are definitely one of them. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki : u r NUTSSSSS. not only is pp a far better player than dirk, he is more clutch than most including KOBE (yep that fraud wearing #24 in LA). pp is also the most efficient scorer perhaps in the history of the game. plus the biggest difference between him and the dirks of the world and most other high caliber guys is commitment to defense. dirk could not stop my grandmother and she's been dead for 20 years. love when the announcer said in the crunch last night that kg just wanted the ball more than dirk when he AGAIN outmuscled and outhustled him for a key rebound... when has anyone EVER said that about pp? he never gets outhustled for anything. so yep if we are talking paper talent and purely talent tangibles, give me dirk and othrs. factor in the actual games and the intangibles, give me pp anyday (including over that guy in LA)!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Put down the pipe. There are so many laughable things that you said in that statement. Pierce is the most efficient scorer in NBA history? Haha wow

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Again,
    very difficult to compare two totally different players.
    I love Paul Pierce. It is amazing how consistent he is and even more, how much better his defense and his efficiency became over the last years.

I understand that someone else (especially from Boston) gives the edge to PP.
    BUT:
    To say Pierce is far superior to Dirk is ... just wrong IMO.

Dirk is also one of the most consistent players over the last decade. He is clutch as hell (just like PP). His playoff stats are far superior to his regular season stats. His defense is underrated IMO.

Don`t forget if you moan about game 7 last summer, how much the mavs were betrayed by the refs against miami otherwise dirk would also have a ring and a finals MVP title.
    If PP is so much more clutch, why did he disappear in game 7? Luck is one important part of winning a championship!

Again (like in the KG vs Duncan) discussion:
    I love PP but, if I would be GM a decade ago I would build around Dirk.
    He led his team to +50 wins every year, no matter how much talent was around him. If someone else picks PP instead, well, no bad choice either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Pierce has more heart and more passion for winning. He is more clutch and is aalways ready to take the important shots.

Dirk is not clutch at all. When the pressure is on, he folds. 

Pierce can go head to head with any scorer if the team needs it that night. He will also cover the other team's best player. Who else can cover lebron and kobe and still be a scorer? no one.

Pierce is an all around player who can give the team watever it needs that night. Dirk can flat out score, but cant defend, doesnt rebound well for his size, doesnt have the passing of KG or Tim Duncan.

to me it is not even close, Pierce by a mile. He is a Winner. Dirk has yet to show that can be the man when he has to and his team is cowering in the corner waiting for Dirk to save them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

Yeah, Pierce became a winner when he got teamed with 2 future HOF'ers. Think before you write. Is Bill Wennington a winner because he won titles? Are Charles Barkley and Dan Marino NOT winners because they didn't have the luxury to play with other HOF'ers?

You can't just say that Paul Pierce is a "winner" because he started winning after they made a big trade. So he was a "loser" when they had the worst record in the league?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE]Pierce has more heart and more passion for winning. He is more clutch and is aalways ready to take the important shots. Dirk is not clutch at all. When the pressure is on, he folds. Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

Do you have any proof to backup your opinion?
    Or is it just "PP has one ring"?

Nowitzkis Play-off stats were already mentioned, lets have a look at clutch statistics:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24200/the-truth-about-kobe-bryant-in-crunch-time

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/1/12/1925915/kobe-bryant-carmelo-anthony-derrick-rose-clutch

Not so bad either!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Wait a minute:
    I remember Pierce made it to the Eastern Conference finals with ONE other GOOD player in Walker, and lost to the Nets at the time.  Lets look at that team Pierce CARRIED:
    Pierce
    Walker
    Rodney Rogers?
    Kenny Anderson?
    Tony Battie?
    Seriously?? that team was Walker and Pierce.....period

Now lets look at Dirk's team that choked...er sorry, went to the finals:
    Dirk
    Jason terry
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Josh Howard
    keith Van Horn
    Now granted van Horn wasnt what he should be but that Dallas team was WAY better than the Celtics team. 
    Nowitzki is probably a better offensive player than Pierce, although not by much.  However Pierce is WAY better defensively than Dirk, not even close.  Dirk cannot cover the quick forwards, and cannot match the physical play of the bigger PF's and centers, he is a defensive liability.