Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs

See this is what I was afraid of. Haywood is at 56.9M per year. I think Perk feels he is better and more valuable to the C's than Haywood is to the Mavs.

Perk and BBD will be looking for some numbers I'm not sure the Cs can/will match knowing Ainge.

I would be ready to start looking at DeAndre Jordan or Chris Kaman as replacements if Perk takes the money and runs. Kaman has 2 yrs at $11M left on his deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Perk and BBD can run after this season is over. If you tell me that the Celtics will get Banner #18 this June but will end up losing Perk and BBD then that's fine with me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs:
    [QUOTE]See this is what I was afraid of. Haywood is at 56.9M per year. I think Perk feels he is better and more valuable to the C's than Haywood is to the Mavs. Perk and BBD will be looking for some numbers I'm not sure the Cs can/will match knowing Ainge. I would be ready to start looking at DeAndre Jordan or Chris Kaman as replacements if Perk takes the money and runs. Kaman has 2 yrs at $11M left on his deal.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

It is too early to be worrying what will happen after this season.  If the Celtics really want Perk, I would imagine that they will agree on salaries. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Perk is good for this team because they have plenty of firepower so he can concentrate foremost on being a defensive presence.  He's still very raw on the offensive end and he's never been a great rebounder.  To me, he's more like a role player.  I could easily see him going to another team for a huge contract and then being considered a major disappointment because of the things he doesn't do well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]See this is what I was afraid of. Haywood is at 56.9M per year. I think Perk feels he is better and more valuable to the C's than Haywood is to the Mavs. Perk and BBD will be looking for some numbers I'm not sure the Cs can/will match knowing Ainge. I would be ready to start looking at DeAndre Jordan or Chris Kaman as replacements if Perk takes the money and runs. Kaman has 2 yrs at $11M left on his deal.
    Not only does Perk feel that he is more valuable, so do I.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

It's not too early to think about next year because this is how you build consistency and continuity for success. We don't want to win #18 and then be a 6th seed next year. We win #18 and we will want to repeat for the Big 3 and Shaq.

It's never too early to look ahead, get contracts straight and plan for the future. Only losing teams play for the now but we're winning now so our now is taken care of. Our worry is how do we continue on and pull away from the Lakers and get #19, #20.

I think Perk is worth at max $7M per year (3 year $21M) because he's a starting C on a top team. I can't see the C's going above that number. It will lineup with the Big 3 and give the C's a chance to look elsewhere in 3 years. Perk will just be turning 30.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

[QUOTE]It's not too early to think about next year because this is how you build consistency and continuity for success. We don't want to win #18 and then be a 6th seed next year. We win #18 and we will want to repeat for the Big 3 and Shaq. It's never too early to look ahead, get contracts straight and plan for the future. Only losing teams play for the now but we're winning now so our now is taken care of. Our worry is how do we continue on and pull away from the Lakers and get #19, #20. I think Perk is worth at max $7M per year (3 year $21M) because he's a starting C on a top team. I can't see the C's going above that number. It will lineup with the Big 3 and give the C's a chance to look elsewhere in 3 years. Perk will just be turning 30.
    I agree with you about looking forward. You are quite correct about being consistent. As a C's fan you can't expect anything less. What will the market dictate? Obviously Perk and his agent think they can do better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Ainge will hand the last word not Perk!!
    Again, I hope he dangle Perk as a trade bait.
    Once you hand a big contract to Perk, expect Bum Blount performance.

Then, the Celtics will be locked up for many years to come.
    You will be sorry.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

between perk and baby, cant keep both! i will keep PERK! love baby but ainge can find those guys off the street. heck, luke can be baby with more range. likely wont play center as much, but with semih who cares? kg can go bak to playg center in those last 5 minutes whether he likes it or not. perk is indispensable.. period! heard portland was looking to bring back greg oden for 8.5mil. sorry but if he is worth that, no wonder perk is holding firm. negotiations should start at 5 years and 52 million and end around 5 years and 56 million!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

I think 4yr @ $30M is a perfectly reasonable and generous offer to Perk.

I think he will regret turning it down

I think Perk is worth the $30M as a Celtic and on this team, during this particular window.

I agree with what another person wrote earlier, if Perk signs with another team for $50M , he'd quickly be viewed as an overrated bust because of all that he can't do offensively. And it's also true and has to be said, Perk is not a good rebounder , certainly NOWHERE near the type of rebounder a guy like Troy Murphy is , and Murphy is going to be banging on Ainge's door the second his contract is up. Ainge would be able to get Troy Murphy for the type of contract Brad Miller or Jermaine O'Neal were given. Put Troy Murphy next to KG and limit his minutes to 24 a game like Perk, and watch your (innaccurate) perception of Troy Murphy change instantly. Murphy is a great natural rebounder. He has the jumper Big Baby wishes he had (from 3pt range as well) , has better hands, is a better passer, and is a better foul shooter than Perk.

Perk has to be careful not to outsmart himself on this one, he should sign that contract today or he'll end up like Nomar...

All Jefferson was smart enough to sign his $50M deal when it was offered, then he got hurt AGAIN, had he not signed the deal, he'd be playing for half the salary today.

I love Perk , but I love him on THIS TEAM, with this collection of guys who can cover up for his shortcomings, if he went to another team for $12M for 5yrs , he would be exposed and with his permanent frown, he would be hated by the fans pretty quickly. He'd be expected to be a 15 and 10 player when he's an 8 and 8 player at best.

I say leave the $30M offer on the table for Perk and come up with a similar offer for Big Baby. I love both players, but that's what they are worth. Let's also remember it was Mark Cuban who gave Raef LaFrenz that huge contract...neither Perk or Big Baby is worth more than Ray Allen. Sorry, but they are not...

the days when star free agents had an "anywhere but Boston" attitude are long gone. The Celtics now have the ownership, the management, the coaches, the modern training facilities , and a Championship core that players want to be a part of. If Perk and Big Baby want to cash out, Ainge will have no problem replacing them with better players for shorter money

Perk needs to sign the deal and not outsmart himself. Same with Big Baby. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

7.5 million a year isnt bad at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

One point that has not been raised in any of the posts, is that the 30 Million 4 year offer is the maximum the Celtics can offer under the current collective bargaining agreement. 

Of course, with a new CBA they may be able to offer more. 

"According to two league sources, Perkins has already turned down a Celtics offer that is bound by the CBA’s current restrictions — a contract extension worth slightly less than $30 million over four years, which reflects the currently mandated contract limits of a 20-percent increase and a four-year maximum. Perkins, represented by agent Arn Tellem, has opted to wait until he is an unrestricted free agent, when even in an unpredictable market he has a chance of commanding far more."

Don't you think the C's would have offered more if they could?

Perk is one of the best big men in the NBA!  He's not a scoring machine, but he more than makes up for that in rebounding and defense.  He's also the floor enforcer.  Some may say that KG is that guy for the C's, but seriously, you can't ask your most dynamic player to stick up for guys when the game gets chippy.  You don't want KG tossed out of a game.  Perkins is that guy for now!

If Dwight Howard opts out of his contract, Perkins will not be the best free agent center this off-season!  That gives the C's plenty of time to negotiate.  Both sides want an agreement, but there is no reason for Perk to take an undervalued deal.

I want Perk back, way more than Baby.  Baby is immature and doesn't have the Basketball IQ of Perk.  I'd ideally like to have both, but if I had to choose, Perk all the way.

Baby is undersized (in height) and battles his weight, and takes terrible shots.  Some team may over pay and put him in their starting lineup, but they would quickly find out he's the ideal 6th man. 

If money becomes a concern this off-season, remember that KG and Ray are free agents after 2012!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Let's not forget a player strike/lockout is a distinct possibility for next year.  The owners want to scale down salaries.  Concerning Perk/BBD salaries, there are a lot of factors in play.  I recall KG mentioning once that if there were to be a prolonged strike next year, he may retire.
    I agree the possiblilty of #18 is much more important than who gets resigned.  I'll leave it at that. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Each Perk supporter, let's see how valuable he is over the rest of the season.  He is very ill advised if this offer was made.  BBD may not get as much as Perk in the end but he is a far more unique and valuable player.  

Perk thinks he is better than he is, most of the time I 'd say let him think that but when it comes to contract that is the time give him a dose of reality.

All Perk lovers let's see him win a game for us one of the days. I have never seen it.  Yes his game is lunch pail stuff but he is workmanlike probably due to his lack of ability.  Let's see him dominate.  I am very glad to see him back he has a important role, but those who act like he is something special are wrong. BBD is much harder to replace. 

Shaq playing twenty minutes the way he was earlier in the season was far more important than Perk is giving us now.  Orlando should be a good chance for him to contribute today as he can do combat duty with Howard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

Concord27 - Shaq has been hurt every other week while Perk is coming off of major reconstructive surgery.

Don't you remember the 'down' year KG had after his surgery or do you not remember last season?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

For any of y'all that have noticed. I have been a fan of Deandre Jordan from day 1. I'd say offer him the 30 M...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I would take baby over Perk any day!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Dino,
    I understand and appreciate what kind of player and guy Perk is.  My point is he is a very limited player with little room to improve.  He is too slow to ever be a better scorer, his ballhandling skills are even more limited.  He as I said is a lunch pail guy and there is always room for a guy six ten who plays hard.  The problem for me is he supplies no offense and his rebounding is hardly dominant.

I hope Perk improves and I am completely wrong.  My point is he is at this point not worth a long term commitment.  Especially at an inflated price.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs:
    [QUOTE]http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1314659&srvc=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+bostonherald/sports/basketball/celtics+(Boston+Celtics+-+Celtics+%26+NBA+-+BostonHerald.com)
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Perk will be taking his scowl and talents to Souf Beach next year.  He may be dumber than dirt but he has to realize the Cs window will slam down on his fingers if he does not leave.  The Heat window was just flung open this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beat-Boston. Show Beat-Boston's posts

Who cares? Cs will not make it to the championship round this year. Expect Bulls or Heat. SA or Dallas will win the ring.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

concord - what do you want a center who can dribble like rondo?  Good luck finding him!

His slowness would be due to his injury and his weakness in that leg.  Give him a year (the standard time to come all the way back from knee surgery) and he'll have that explosiveness that is lacking right now.  Tom Brady moved slower than usual in that year following his knee surgery...and that was 1 year after his surgery.  This year, he moved like his old - still not so fast - self.

You are completely wrong on his rebounding and frankly on a team with KG, Pierce, and Allen...how many offensive opportunities are there for the other guys?

Perk has worked hard, done everything asked of him, lost weight each year since his rookie year.  He's young and decent big men are hard to find.  You can't coach height!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Folks, Perk is falling right in line with all the other guys who think because they play for the C's and have been good that they can take the money and run and be just as successful. I hope Perk doesn't fall into the trap of TA and Posey and possbily BBD.

All these guys should be thanking the Big 3 everyday...including Rondo. In reality none of them did a thing until KG and RA came along.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

4yrs @ $30m is just a good and very reasonable offer for Perk. At this time BBD is more valuable and I think DA will consider trading Perk if nothing could be worked out.

I like Perk only for his defensive presence but I truly think the offer is very reasonable for him. 

I trust DA. He knows what he is doing.

Time Will Only Tell 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Dino,
    I am sorry Perk will never have any speed.  He is slower than molasses.  He is only a fair rebounder.  His shooting is very poor.  

This is not an earth shattering assessment.  The guy is very limited.  Dwight Howard is schooling him right now. BBD will cover Howard far better.

Perk is admirable in his effort and sub par in his ability. It is just a fact.

Sections
Shortcuts